Map Madness Tournament Announcement/Rules!

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Header (1).png

Celebrating 500k+ MV Sales, a Midweek Madness Sale has arrived on the Degica Shop, and on Steam, and that Madness is spreading into our Map Madness Tournament! Face head to head with your fellow RPG Makers to battle… with battlefields. Make the best maps in each round to progress to the final showdown and win to be named the Map Madness King!

All Times Listed in PDT

Qualifier Submission: March 23nd - April 1st, 11:59PM
Qualifier Voting: April 2nd 10:00AM - April 4th, 11:59PM

Seeding Announce: April 5th 4:00PM
Bracket Submissions: April 6th 4:00PM - April 12th, 11:59PM

Round 1 Submissions: April 9th 10:00AM - April 12th, 11:59PM
Round 1 Voting: April 13th 10:00Am - April 15th, 11:59PM

Top 8 Submissions: April 16th 10:00AM - April 19th, 11:59PM
Top 8 Voting: April 20th 10:00Am - April 22nd, 11:59PM

Semi-Finals Submissions: April 23rd 10:00AM - April 26th, 11:59PM

Semi-Finals Voting: April 27th 10:00Am - April 29th, 11:59PM

Finals Submissions: April 30th 10:00AM - May 3rd, 11:59PM
Finals Voting: May 4th 10:00Am - May 7th, 11:59PM

Winners Announced: May 8th, 4:00PM

●Details●

Get ready for a 16 person Single Elimination head to head tournament where every round, you go up against a fellow RPG Maker competitor.

Can you take on all comers and take home the crown? Find out by entering our Map Madness Qualifiers. From March 23rd 10:00AM to April 1st 11:59PM, send a map (following the rules in the detail section, any theme) in PM to @RPGMakerWeb. All of these maps will be put anonymously on the forums to be rated 1-10. The 16 highest rated maps by average will determine initial seeding for the tournament.

image1.png

Then we’ll enter the single elimination portion of the tournament. Every round after qualifiers will have a new theme, and you will need to make another map using that theme and submit it by PM by the deadline. Each matchup will then be presented as an anonymous poll on our forums for the users to decide which is the better map! Winner moves on to the next matchup. Loser goes home.

Win the last matchup to be crowned the Map Madness King!

Didn’t make it in? Don’t worry, you can still participate! Fill out a prediction bracket for the tournament once seeding is announced and rack up points for each correct prediction to claim the prize of the ultimate Map Madness Oracle!

Compete for RPG Maker Glory, Forum Badges, and money to spend in the Degica Shop!

Finals Submission Period

●Map Qualifier Participation Prize●
A New Event Badge
$5 Degica Shop Gift Code

●For Qualifiers●
A Special Event Badge
2nd Place: $30 Degica Shop Gift Code
Top 4: $20 Degica Shop Gift Code
Top 8: $15 Degica Shop Gift Code
Top 16: $10 Degica Shop Gift Code

●For Winners●
Map Madness King: $40 Degica Gift Shop Code, Map Madness King Badge

Map Madness Oracle: $20 Degica Gift Shop Code, Map Madness Oracle Badge

●Details●

• To be valid your entry must obey the following rules!
  • Your map must be made in RPG Maker MV or MZ and use 48x48 tile size.
  • Your map must be 27x15 tiles in size, creating a 1296x720
  • Your map must be submitted as a .png file.
  • Include a list of credits for any materials used in the submission PM.

●How to submit●

To submit an entry, send it as an attachment in a message to @RPGMakerWeb on the forums.

●Terms and Conditions●
  • You may NOT direct anyone to vote for specific entries. Polls are intentionally anonymous. You may link to the contest as a whole and encourage people to vote.
  • You may use resources and DLC sold in the RPG Maker Web store or via Steam.
  • You may only use user-created resources that are available for modification and commercial use. Proper copyrights and/or credits must be included in the entry.
  • You can use your own resources, but you must include copyrights and/or credits.
  • You may not create a map that infringes on third party copyright or trademarks.
  • You reserve the right to delete your entry even if it has already been posted
  • You may edit your work and/or the description after posting up to the entry deadline (we may contact you for confirmation if the map has changed significantly since the original posting).
  • Submissions including adult materials such as extreme violence and/or nudity will not be accepted.
  • Only one qualifying entry per person is allowed.
  • By submitting your map, you agree to allow us to publish your entries with credits on our social media, youtube, and other locations for advertisement purposes.
  • If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment!

Last edited:

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I seem to be blind and somehow missed a relevant section, which seemed to answer my question, so i edited this. But, no parallax?
This does seem fun. I might be able to make time.

Last edited:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In general, it should be done in MV/MZ. Mostly though, I'm mostly concerned with it being tile based. If someone is hand painting all their maps every stage it is kind of a different contest entirely. Also, it would be hard to do blind voting if one person was hand painting all their maps.

So basically: Keep it 48x48 tile based. As long as I can look at it and go "Yeah, that looks like an MV/MZ map" I'm not going to nitpick exactly how it was done. (and as submissions are done as .png, I couldn't verify things like "did he adjust this tile in photoshop, or use doodads or an outside program" anyway)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For qualifier round there is no theme. All rounds after that will have an announced theme.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
●Map Qualifier Participation Prize●
A New Event Badge
$5 Degica Shop Gift Code

So you must be among the top 16 to get a prize, huh?

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Map making is something I would like to get better at. I doubt if I could make it into it, but sounds like good practice to me and that's good enough of a prize! :) Now I just have to think of a map idea. :guffaw:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So you must be among the top 16 to get a prize, huh?
That is for participating in the Qualifier rounds at all. Anyone who sends in a map entry gets that. EDIT: I've been ninjaed.

d3j4-v00d00

do that voodoo
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ooh, this looks like fun! I'm excited to submit a map, but mostly I'm excited to see the other entrants' designs.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ooh, a mapping contest. Right up my alley.
If I'm allowed to do parallax maps (I use existing 48x48 tiles because I can't make my own tiles to save my life, I just make a map in the editor and then make it look prettier using parallax techniques), I'm definitely up to participating.
If not, I'll probably still participate, since I still enjoy making maps.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think we want to stick to mostly tile based. Parallaxing is a whole nother thing, and as I said earlier in the thread: If one person is doing pure parallaxing it is going to be hard to run blind polls.

Things like a background parallaxing the sky at a cliff or like a parallax under a glass flooring or something like that is probably fine, but parallaxing an entire map would be problematic.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
thanks for your reply! I was mostly just asking because sometimes I want detail tiles (de-Tiles? don't hit me...) but I want details and they are just like.... they won't fit on the tile without mucking everything up, so sometimes I do an overlay

MrKiwi

No Flying Bird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What about the use of plugins to add extra decorations or effects? (i.e yanfly's grid free doodadds / terrax lightning) Would those be allowed?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What about the use of plugins to add extra decorations or effects? (i.e yanfly's grid free doodadds / terrax lightning) Would those be allowed?

Yep not a problem.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hopefully I'm not asking a dumb question, but how should the map screenshots be taken? By using RPG Maker's 'Save As Image' function or by running the game and taking screen captures?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hopefully I'm not asking a dumb question, but how should the map screenshots be taken? By using RPG Maker's 'Save As Image' function or by running the game and taking screen captures?
You can do either, depending on the needs of your map. (some things you can do, like mood lighting, etc won't show in save as image).

AxelNinjaGamer

Random Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does a map have to be 27 X 15, or is 15 X 27 acceptable as well?

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can the maps have character sprites on them, or should they be 'empty' in that respect?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

elexy 1.2.pngSome bust art to be cropped and cleaned. May use in special decision moments. Depending on how it looks in game I may cut it.
Tiamat-86 wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
apparently since its turning 15 years old this year the ps3 is considered "retro". now how old do you feel?
guess that means im an "antique" gamer since ill still play games as old as i am.
"you know your getting old when your childhood console changes ethnicity" lol it turned yellow
I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morinangel015