Map Madness Tournament Announcement/Rules!

TheUnproPro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Firstly, congratulations on so many sales! I've been using RPG maker since highschool and... to be honest, I use it -way- too much haha. Anyway I'm very happy to see RPG Maker moving up. Best of luck to all the competitors!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You may not create a cutscene that infringes on third party copyright or trademarks.

You meant "You may not create a map that infringes ...", right?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Can the maps have character sprites on them, or should they be 'empty' in that respect?
Best to not put in character sprites. Obviously you can use sprites that are for objects (like chests/torches, etc.)

@Shaz I really thought I'd caught all the copy paste boilerplate aaaaarghhhh.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was actually thinking of joining this, but I'm lousy at tile-mapping. Has to be parallax for me.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
okay, I guess I'm down. this is a pretty competitive event for such a cozy & casual community but I was crap at mapping for a lonnnnng time so the most I really aspire to is being 'not crap' lol. I certainly don't expect to win or anything like that (loser is literally in my username), that'd be insane. But getting eliminated in the qualifying round seems like it'd be a major feelzbad (and the competition around here is stiff so a lot of good mappers are gonna get that feelzbad whether I join or not).

whatever, I'm in!

are the maps being judged on (implied/implicit) functionality/"level design" at all or just purely on aesthetics? how many layers of lighting and fog and bullshit overlays are allowed? how many or mandated?

(the very last question was a joke)

Also: trying to wrap my mind about the fact that HALF A MILLION HUMAN PEOPLE own RPG Maker. And mostly failing.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also: trying to wrap my mind about the fact that HALF A MILLION HUMAN PEOPLE own RPG Maker. And mostly failing.
Specifically MV has 500k. I'd have to go back and check, but VX Ace might have more than that.

IguanaGuy

Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks like something fun and possibly a great challenge for those who make it to the next level of competition. Can't wait to see what variety of maps starts this competition off. I'm sure to get lots of good ideas from them.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maps! Goody! I might have a hack at this. I can never successfully manage anything for the game comps because I spend faaaar too much time on every map to ever get a game completed in a short time (well, ok, any amount of time if I'm honest). But this one ... maybe. :smile:

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Best to not put in character sprites. Obviously you can use sprites that are for objects (like chests/torches, etc.)
What's your stance on sprites for animals? I want to add a few to add a little life to my map.

matheus872

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And about the discounts? Someone knows when it starts?

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think the discount is already over.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy - I'll admit that the question that I'm about to ask is a stupid question, but I want to make sure that I did send the contest entry correctly as I don't come to the RPG Maker Forum as much as I should be (especially since I need to post updates for couple of my plugins) and as I don't have too much experience with the Forum (especially with the Forum getting improvements from time to time). With all that out of the way, my question is the following: is the private messaging done through the Start Conversation option after clicking the account holder's name? Start Conversation is how I sent the contest entry, but I'm not sure if that was the correct method. Thanks in advance for any help!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Touchfuzzy - I'll admit that the question that I'm about to ask is a stupid question, but I want to make sure that I did send the contest entry correctly as I don't come to the RPG Maker Forum as much as I should be (especially since I need to post updates for couple of my plugins) and as I don't have too much experience with the Forum (especially with the Forum getting improvements from time to time). With all that out of the way, my question is the following: is the private messaging done through the Start Conversation option after clicking the account holder's name? Start Conversation is how I sent the contest entry, but I'm not sure if that was the correct method. Thanks in advance for any help!
Yep you got it.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a pretty specific question:
I found an old asset pack that I never finished and thought I could use this map event to help me work on it. This means I'll be creating and using my custom tiles for my entry(s).
However I also am planning to submit my finished asset pack into the RPG Maker store submissions once complete to hopefully sell on the RPG Maker shop.
Is it okay if I use the same assets for my map entries, or should it be kept secret?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have a pretty specific question:
I found an old asset pack that I never finished and thought I could use this map event to help me work on it. This means I'll be creating and using my custom tiles for my entry(s).
However I also am planning to submit my finished asset pack into the RPG Maker store submissions once complete to hopefully sell on the RPG Maker shop.
Is it okay if I use the same assets for my map entries, or should it be kept secret?

I'd prefer those not be used. Mostly because once we're out of qualifiers, people would be able to REALLY easily identify your map if you include a style that is not available to most people that includes more than a few tiles.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That makes a lot of sense, thank you for the response!
So would using a specific store pack also be out of question? I don't mind using the MV RTP instead.

Edit:
I realized the rules mention that we can, sorry for the unnecessary question. :kaoswt2:

Last edited:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Last day. Can I make multiple accounts and submit a map with only a single tile? Technically it's not breaking the rules, right?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just a little close up shot...
w2xZocX.jpg
finally drew the last member of "team outcast" for my game. since my game has a lot fighting game elements in it, there's bosses in teams of three like King of Fighters.
What do you guys think about Survival mechanics in games (Hunger, thirst, etc.)?
Do you find them to be an enjoyable obstacle or a bit of a nuisance?

Asking for a friend... :stickytongue:
Run Script Calls & Play Unique Sound Effects With Each Skill & Item | RPG Maker News #113

Let's continue making our game in MZ! Touchfuzzy is... still eventing... though this time we may be working on eventing some tutorial stuff for our players!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balthier