Map Madness Tournament Announcement/Rules!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I mean we also have rules on the forum about not having more than one account so...

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you gonna argue with someone who appears to be in the FBI *and* the CIA though?

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's time to Rate all of our Qualifying Entries! Remember, you can't solicit votes for your entry (you can point people to the polls as a whole), and you can't tell anyone which entry is yours.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What's the policy on voting for our own entries in contests? I mean I really like my work, but my perspective is pretty subjective :LZSlol:

I've long wondered but never asked, so haven't voted on/for my own, but wanted to get the official word.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Darn, I missed it, but I wish everyone best of luck!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What's the policy on voting for our own entries in contests? I mean I really like my work, but my perspective is pretty subjective :LZSlol:

I've long wondered but never asked, so haven't voted on/for my own, but wanted to get the official word.
Yeah good point, don't vote for your own entry :B. If someone has, it isn't a problem as I didn't say anything in the rules about it. I can check who voted for what if there are any that are close enough that one vote would change the results.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah good point, don't vote for your own entry :B. If someone has, it isn't a problem as I didn't say anything in the rules about it. I can check who voted for what if there are any that are close enough that one vote would change the results.
Oops, wish I'd read this before I voted on everything. Is there any way to cancel a vote? Seems like I can change my vote, but not actually remove it.

Oh crap I just realized there's also a page 2. Time for more voting!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oops, wish I'd read this before I voted on everything. Is there any way to cancel a vote? Seems like I can change my vote, but not actually remove it.

Oh crap I just realized there's also a page 2. Time for more voting!
Like I said it is no big deal. I can fix it :B

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lots of good maps, with lots of cool ideas! Good luck to all the entrants! :D And even if you don't get past the qualifier as long as you had fun and/or learned something while making your map that's a victory. :kaoluv:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey. Nobody submitted a one-tile map. XD

@akoniti I see quite a huge number of votes for score lower than 5. Didn't know this forum has so many merciless critics, or maybe just people trying to screw over their competitors. :3 Might as well just give a 10 for your own entry to balance out the score.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@akoniti I see quite a huge number of votes for score lower than 5. Didn't know this forum has so many merciless critics, or maybe just people trying to screw over their competitors. :3 Might as well just give a 10 for your own entry to balance out the score.

Interesting that you mention that, I noticed that right out of the gate all of the maps got slammed with a few really low ratings, including some beautifully made entries. It's unfortunate that some may try to game the ratings by mercilessly pulling down their competitors instead of being objective with their rating, but hopefully there's a high enough volume of votes that a few bad apples don't spoil any bunches.

That said, I'll admit that I didn't rate many above 5 or 6. I tried to weight my votes in the context of 'how does this map compare to all of the other entries' as best I could, rather than solely as standalone works. So I looked at all of them, then went through and voted once I had a baseline in mind.

None of it is a big deal, it's just a fun contest, and everybody gets $5, a badge, and some mapping practice. It's nothing but a win regardless of the outcome.

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love how many entries there are, and how different they all are. Some of them have really taken me by surprise, and I certainly plan to learn from a few.

I too went through all and rated after I had seen them all (and then, nervously, clicked "see results" on my own entry!) With some there's quite a range in the votes, and I can understand why, whereas on others there's a pretty tight consensus.

Gabo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Hi, I think all maps are really good, but I feel there is a kind of shyness in most entries. There is a lot of potential and talent. I can't wait to see what's submitted further along the tournament.
Good luck to everyone.
: )

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It was interesting to see how each map was ranked, wondering why one I thought was good was rated low or one I thought needed work was rated high. There's as much variety in people's voting criteria as there are in the types of maps we made.

That said, I'll admit that I didn't rate many above 5 or 6.

I didn't rate any below a five, so we might have cancelled each other out. :guffaw:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Anything that is fan voted will always have some weirdness, but hopefully there are enough votes that any weirdness resolves itself.

IguanaGuy

Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't rate my own maps a "10" unless I really felt like I used the tile sets to their full potential. I agree with Gabo about the "shyness" but perhaps as the contest continues we will see some new methods appear when the theme is selected by the contest.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I didn't rate any below a five, so we might have cancelled each other out. :guffaw:

Ah! :LZSlol: To clarify further, '5' was my 'decent map' level, which made it by far my most common vote. Anything over 5 was varying degrees of "whoa nice map that really stands out!", and anything below was a rare exception. I didn't see a lot of what I would call in my limited experience bad maps, and there are many here I learned from.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Feel free to check out our "Touch the Stars" gamejam submission, "Starlight, Starbright!"
just finished playing one shot. im kinda disappointed with return the sun ending ngl. i was hoping there would be some after credits scene that would play with my emotions
So apparently the surprise Google Search page browser game saves your progress when you close the browser.

This really makes me miss the golden age of Flash gaming.
ohh man im ending oneshot now (im doing the last stepping puzzle rn) and the music is so...sad...like...ive been thinking recently about how fast moments pass and...my anxious thoughts combined with that music and nostalgia...like...im comfortably sad...and want to cry internally
We're playing one of the Touch the Stars game jam entries, come join us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananansy