Map Madness Tournament Announcement/Rules!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I talked about it some on stream during the Make an MZ stream, and as I said, there were a few maps that were clearly people still learning, and that's great, always good to get in practice, but there were clearly no "low effort" maps. It was clear that people were putting the work in, and they should be proud of that.

cmdr_buttonhead

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah! :LZSlol: To clarify further, '5' was my 'decent map' level, which made it by far my most common vote. Anything over 5 was varying degrees of "whoa nice map that really stands out!", and anything below was a rare exception. I didn't see a lot of what I would call in my limited experience bad maps, and there are many here I learned from.
That's roughly the same kind of scale I used when voting.

I didn't rate my own map, but if I did, it would've been a 2 :biggrin:

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will there be a thread or maybe even a video series going with the tournament? I would love to hear some experienced map makers talk about their votes in detail, when it comes to the single eliminations (of course after the polls are closed to avoid affecting the others decisions).

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's roughly the same kind of scale I used when voting.

I didn't rate my own map, but if I did, it would've been a 2 :biggrin:

hah! I know how you feel. I'm amazed at how much vibrant depth some of the artists achieved with <20K pixels. There's an art to making maps feel lively but not overcrowded that I haven't quite gotten the hang of yet.

Nice chart @EmmaB , way to crunch the numbers :LZScool:

cmdr_buttonhead

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hah! I know how you feel. I'm amazed at how much vibrant depth some of the artists achieved with <20K pixels. There's an art to making maps feel lively but not overcrowded that I haven't quite gotten the hang of yet.

Nice chart @EmmaB , way to crunch the numbers :LZScool:
yeah, this is a superb idea as a learning experience. I knew my map would be very poor, but I learned loads just putting it together, and then because as part of the tournament you are more invested in voting and studying the maps, I've seen several things in other entries which I love and going to start trying to learn the techniques for.

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was using 7 as my 'yep, looks good, I'd play it' and 5 as my 'It's a good start, I can see where you're going with this but I don't think you're there yet', which skewed my votes higher. I'm excited for the next rounds, to see what variety of ideas people come up with even when they've got a theme they have to stick to.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oops, wish I'd read this before I voted on everything. Is there any way to cancel a vote? Seems like I can change my vote, but not actually remove it.

Oh crap I just realized there's also a page 2. Time for more voting!
I ummed and ahhed about this too. I wasn't going to vote on my own (didn't seem right) but then skimming comments thought others were doing it and thought "am I disadvantaging myself" so I did and tried to be objective and then thought, "no, voting for myself is a bit naff" and tried to delete it but couldn't so now I'm a little embarrassed!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see some people changed their votes after EmmaB posted how the rankings were going so far.

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Anyone knows which Timezone is this event based off of?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Anyone knows which Timezone is this event based off of?
Pacific.

I wasn't going to end the polls, but I'm recording where they were at midnight :)

Edit: Ok, so I am ending the polls cause it was just easier to close all the threads at once :B

Last edited:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
SCHEDULE UPDATE
Ok, everyone, one small change! Brackets will open on Tuesday. The reason for this is that tomorrow when we announce the seeds, I'm going to also reveal which entry belonged to each of the qualifiers so that people can use that to help fill out their brackets. As such, I also want to use that time to make sure the top 16 are properly attributed.

I triple checked to make sure they were all accurate (matching number to user who sent the map), but it never hurts to be extra careful and give everyone the chance to go "oh wait, you had me as the wrong entry!"

Now I need to go warn myself for double posting (but I felt this post was important enough to be it's own thought :p.)

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was kind of hoping no details would be revealed publically until the contest was over. By process of elimination, people can (and probably will) figure out who later entries belong to, especially the final two, and that might influence voting.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was kind of hoping no details would be revealed publically until the contest was over. By process of elimination, people can (and probably will) figure out who later entries belong to, especially the final two, and that might influence voting.
It's kind of a balancing thing. No information makes the bracket predictions much less interesting. I probably won't reveal who made what after the brackets are started until the winner is announced.

All the matchups each round will be scrambled (so Match A for the first round could be Match 7 on the bracket, or it could be Match 3) and each entry will be vote for 1 or 2.

We'll know who advanced each round but not which was theirs or even which matchup was which pair until the tournament is all over.

I do agree that it could influence the final round, but a lot of open voting just has to rely on some faith anyway. I have some ways of checking how voting is done though.

EDIT: Also for later rounds it is going to be set to not be able to switch votes, and you can't see the current results without voting first.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Aw, crap. I thought about giving a 10 to all the entries to offset those below-5 votes. But it's too late now. =.=

I would love to hear some experienced map makers talk about their votes in detail,

Maybe Driftwood or a staff member can make a video about this. And now I really want to know who have been handing out those 1/2/3 votes. XD

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eh, I wouldn't pay too much attention to low votes. Some people may have had harsher judging criteria, and as the old wisdom goes, you can't really argue about taste. I avoided both extremes in my votes and had a slight bias towards above average scores.
EDIT: Also for later rounds it is going to be set to not be able to switch votes, and you can't see the current results without voting first.
I think that this is a good idea. While I ended up editing a couple of my votes, this kind of rigidity and especially the invisibility of results should prevent confirmation bias of kinds (= people voting like others have voted) - plus it prevents me from anxiously checking my own results (in the case I happened to qualify, haha). :kaoswt:

I would have preferred complete anonymity for the duration of the tournament, too, but I can understand that it would have made the predictions nigh impossible or at least less interesting.

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Curious to see which maps/users qualify. I've decided that even if I don't, I'm gonna make a map that fits the themes announced for practice.
Yeah I think I'll do the same. Based off the rankings EmmaB posted I'm not going through but it is fun.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Seeding Has Been Announced!

Again if there are any issues with attribution please contact me immediately. Enjoy the short break before round 1 begins! (I am about 2 hours early but I figured that no one would mind that :p)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

how do you guys even finish anything

i have like 5 projects in the backburner and it's just so sad that i probably won't get to finish all or maybe even any of them
Did you know that 90% of people in the world use the number in their sentence as they see fit?
It's been a long time since I was here but I have a lot of updates... btw I am teaching again about game programming and game design in some schools here in Brazil hahahaha It's good to see kids and teens learning this kind of thing!
welp, I literally can't continue working on ALEX now that my MZ trial is up (unless I somehow place in the jam which I don't remotely deserve to for my unfinished crap) so I am back on my bullshit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoyaGames