Map Madness Tournament Announcement/Rules!

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congratulations on everyone who made it to the next round! :kaojoy:

I would be interested in hearing why I got some low scores on my map, as I thought it was pretty good but people seem to have thought otherwise. Feedback will help me improve!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Congratulations on everyone who made it to the next round! :kaojoy:

I would be interested in hearing why I got some low scores on my map, as I thought it was pretty good but people seem to have thought otherwise. Feedback will help me improve!
If anyone wants to do some feedback in this thread, that would be cool. I thought about reopening the Qualifier polls so people could give feedback, but I felt it was less confusing to leave them closed so people can tell which are open voting and which are not.

After the tournament is over I'm going to reopen all the threads though so people can comment and get feedback :)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I really loved @hinola's map. That one was my favourite. Great use of RTP!

@SmashArtist I thought your map made a good 20x15 map, but as a 27x15 map, it left a bit desired. Like you didn't use all the space given or at least not to its full potential. Hope that makes sense. ^^

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@SmashArtist For myself, the flaw of your map was that 27x15 was too big for it. I liked your little shrine, it was a pretty map, it worked and I'd happily visit it, but it was half filler trees. If you wanted to pop it into a game, all you'd need to do is make it less wide.

@IguanaGuy Yours was my favourite. There's all sorts of things to poke and explore and it's got the right amount of clutter for me.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your feedback! I was mapping in the mindset of it being a full map I'd use in a game and wanted to give some breathing space. In the future I'll try not to leave any unused space! :kaopride:

This event has really inspired me though, I want to practice my mapping even more now! Will enjoy seeing what other maps are created in the rest of the tournament!

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So many interesting maps, it was fun to see what everyone came up with. :)

@SmashArtist I liked your map, but as others have mentioned it did have some issues that kept me from scoring it higher. The ocean of trees wasn't too eye-catching, and I wished for some small clearings here and there with flowers or fallen trees to break up the monotony. The placement of the flowers and small plants felt naturally random which was good, but that did make all the trees stand out even more. A minor thing I would've really loved to see to take the map to the next level would be a tint to make the clearing feel a bit more emotional, like a desaturated blue to make it feel lonelier.

If anyone else is interested in feedback on their map from me, just tag me and I'll try to explain my thoughts on it. :rwink:

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love some feedback from whoever is interested. #18

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hiddenone I'd also like feedback from you or anyone else who's interested. #25

I think I've already identified some possible problems with my map. (Not enough tile variety, visually noisy roof, cliffs have a weird texture and don't curve where they meet the water, so on and so forth...)

IguanaGuy

Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SmashArtist For myself, the flaw of your map was that 27x15 was too big for it. I liked your little shrine, it was a pretty map, it worked and I'd happily visit it, but it was half filler trees. If you wanted to pop it into a game, all you'd need to do is make it less wide.

@IguanaGuy Yours was my favourite. There's all sorts of things to poke and explore and it's got the right amount of clutter for me.
Thanks for the compliment. The idea behind my maps is just that. I add in areas like that to prompt the player to search around for hidden areas and all. I would use the same principle in forests and caves too. It is a balance between too much clutter and just enough sometimes (and that can require several edits until I get it right.) For this contest I consider the full use of the map as something people are going to be looking for. I'm looking forward to seeing the next wave of maps too. I never get tired of seeing new ideas from other people.

IguanaGuy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your map looked pretty good for the space allowed. You used the corners and edges to continue the terrain which is something I try for. (Example - partial trees indicating the forest continues outside of the view, paths leading off the map...)
If we are talking in terms of the contest I would have made the house a bit smaller and added a second shed building for aesthetics. Farms have sheds/coops/barns too. The terrain under the garden plots would have blended better if it was the same tiles as the path - not sure if that is do-able using shift mapping or just put the garden tiles on top of the dirt path tiles. (This way you do not have that small edge of grass around your garden plots.) More weeds in the grass maybe, but you did have some so that's an artistic opinion. Maybe a weed or two growing out of the path to show the never ending battle against nature and man's domain.

Nice choice of tiles for the contest! If that is First Seed~Fall Edition stuff, I like the look. I may need to acquire that set myself sometime.
I would love some feedback from whoever is interested. #18

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@IguanaGuy Thanks for the feedback!
I was actually making a shed tile to place with a hay floor and all, but I only had a few hours to work on it. Ended up having to scrap it and extend the garden to fill the space. And that is the FSM fall tileset, one of my favorites.

Your map was probably my second favorite, looked very lived in and interesting. Awesome job!

IguanaGuy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hiddenone I'd also like feedback from you or anyone else who's interested. #25

I think I've already identified some possible problems with my map. (Not enough tile variety, visually noisy roof, cliffs have a weird texture and don't curve where they meet the water, so on and so forth...)
I thought the map was kind of neat. A different entry than most for sure! I can imagine the demon lord of candy land residing here perhaps?

I know I'm not hiddenone, but I thought I would suggest a couple of things. Maybe make the path to the castle more narrow to add more moat zone and then add something to the moat - like floating candy or cookies islands? (You mentioned the busy roof tiles in your own quote, but what I think part of the issue is the wall tiles are just monotone in comparison. If they had maybe a bit of brick or fracture lines that might make it more realistic? (Or even a texture to them)

Overall though, the map gave the impression of quite a large castle even though the 27x15 space allowed for only the front to be seen. You used the space you had pretty well.

Maybe any lower scoring was from people on restrictive diets and you just gave them too many cravings? :eswt:

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@IguanaGuy Thank you for the feedback! Those are good suggestions. I did consider adding things to the moat during planning, but I wound up a bit short on time.

Your map was really awesome! One of my faves.

Zelgadis85

IGMC 17/18 Entrant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Touchfuzzy Please correct the spelling on my entry (you spelled my name as Zalgadis instead of Zelgadis from SLAYERS).

Also open for feedback on my entry (#10). Now that I think about it, maybe some recoloring of the trees to fit a common color scheme could have been worth it, considering I probably had enough time to do that...

Personal faves were @IguanaGuy and @Elhijei but most of the maps looked good. Certainly got lots of different vibes from entries. I admit I used a rather low scale on scoring but adjusted my ratings somewhat before the judging was over. I'm rather critical when judging other people's (and my own, as well) creations, so forgive me for that.

While I must admit I'm a bit split on coming so close to advance (about 1.5% average to 16th place), when I entered I thought that probably my skills aren't on par to advance past the qualifiers anyway, so I'm rather content with my entry.

cmdr_buttonhead

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some feedback would be wonderful @hiddenone! Thanks. :) (#4)

@EmmaB I'm not hiddenone (and not even close, as I think I finished dead last in the competition :)) - but I loved this map, thought the way the river looked, in particular, stood out for me. Great work.

@hiddenone - I'd love some feedback if you've got time. I'm aware my map is very poor, but any thoughts on which glaring deficiencies I should address first would be much appreciated. :)
Note that my kids "helped" me with the chicken and dragon on my map. :biggrin:

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@cmdr_buttonhead The octopus, dragon, giant chicken, and creepy sand face were my favourite parts of your map. I think overworld maps are the most difficult to make look good so those of you who did them were playing on hard mode to begin with.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ooh @hiddenone (or anyone else who feels like it) do me too! Mine was 14. And for a little pay-it-forward:

@akoniti : I do love me some sci-fi, although there's some odd things going on here: 1) The big space viewport could probably use some sort of frame around it and a bit of a depression into the wall rather than the wall just...disappearing. 2) The plasma squares by the tree are a bit strange, but in fairness, I've never known exactly wtf that tile was for. 3) Plasma barriers in the bathroom seems...unnecessarily dangerous and illogical. :D

@Asterleena : I actually really liked this one, with a few small exceptions. 1) Something about that sheen on the frozen lake just rubbed me the wrong way and felt like it detracted from an otherwise-great map. 2) The ground pattern seemed a bit harsh and busy and caused a bit of a "this ground looks tiled" syndrome. If that makes sense.

@CoryH : Pretty good country farm. The only thing that really jumped out at me (besides Refmap's weakness being water) is the way the crop plots were laid out. Having them spaced like that with paths in between each one seemed a bit weird and illogical, if that makes sense.

@EmmaB : Another I really liked. I don't have any real criticisms for it except that I think the ground is a bit cluttery. There's a balance between "enough clutter for flavor" and "oh god my eyes" and I'm still wrestling with it myself. :)

@violinistsMetronome : My only complaint is that I can't eat it. Ha! No, but, the castle walls seemed like they were lacking a pattern compared to everything else, and that's really it. Delicious map, would eat my way in even if it resulted in sugar shock.

@cmdr_buttonhead : The default RTP overworld tiles are rough to work with, and while I like the themes you have going on like the octopus, dragon, etc, there's some mismatched art styles going on. 1) The small stream on the lower part stick out like a sore thumb and looks painted on. I know what look you're going for, but in this case, I don't think it works very well, sorry. 2) Despite being neat little additions, the dragon, volcano, etc also kind of clash with the rest of the RTP art style. There's nothing wrong with using custom-created tilesets and graphics like that, but they should match the rest of the map a bit more closely. Keep at it, though! :D

Disclaimer: I'm not an artist and I actually don't even like mapping all that much, so take my feedback for what it's worth--not much. Most importantly is that people keep at it and keep practicing! :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcolesi10