Map Madness Tournament Announcement/Rules!

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If anyone else is interested in feedback on their map from me, just tag me and I'll try to explain my thoughts on it. :rwink:
Yes please! I would very much welcome any feedback anyone can offer me. I'm very new to this. #19

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It finally starts :D I am really looking forward to this!
Wish I would have had the time to participate ...

@bjorn56 I am glad you made it in! Your map was among my top three. I love the black & white look and the escalator. Reminded me of my year abroad in japan ...
Maybe you could add a bit more details to the ground.
Also I am very curious about your game now, this sounds really funny : D

@Elhijei Congrats, 1st place is well deserved! The bridge is the highlight of the map obviously, looks very cool. Only things I would change: You could put the lanterns in front, behind the railing. This way it looks a bit off to me. Also are those guys having their coffee right above the street drain?^^

@Puffer This one was my personal favorite! I become strangely nostalgic just by looking at it and I would really like to read/write a story about the people who live there. It also gives me the shadowrun vibes. And I like the lightning.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Please and thank you! (#20)
I'm not the best at sci-fi, but I'll give it a go. I think your viewing area is a bit too big and would have been better if you cut off one or two columns of chairs. Also I assume the white chairs are meant to represent little tables? If so, some drinks or maybe an ashtray or a magazine or something on some of them would be good. The pipes on te right are very obvious not fitting with the rest of the map, which is a shame. I also think your map would have benefited from some sort of tint, since it looks brighter than the setting would let me believe.

Also open for feedback on my entry (#10). Now that I think about it, maybe some recoloring of the trees to fit a common color scheme could have been worth it, considering I probably had enough time to do that...
I'm not sure if you used MZ or MV, but having your cliffs in the water would make more sense, specially since there's a waterfall. I feel like you might be using too many different flowers, the pink one specifically is pretty jarring. They also usually grow closer together, so having clumlps together would have been a better option. My biggest peeve is the stone though; I'm not quite sure what it's meant to represent in the context of your map. Those big stones are usally graves or memorials or something important, but your placement of it makes it feel less important than that. There's no path leading up to, it's not in its own little shrine (like the statue in #29), it's not surrounded by flowers, it's not elevated; in other words it's just there.

@hiddenone I'd also like feedback from you or anyone else who's interested. #25
I wasn't able to discern where the wall ended and the roof began. That and the windows were all placed at exactly the same heights and widths, making it a bit one-note, which is a shame. I did love everything else though, especially the lead-up to the castle ^^

Ooh @hiddenone (or anyone else who feels like it) do me too! Mine was 14.
I figured that was yours, because of the Community Lightning. Nice atmosphere. Surprised that fire's still glowing in the rain. I would have had the lake on the bottom right a bit less blocky and have the red tree variation appear more, so it's more colour balanced.

Yes please! I would very much welcome any feedback anyone can offer me. I'm very new to this. #19
I feel like some things were placed a bit too random. Like your road, the stones and that road blockage. Also your chicken coop is as tall (and nearly a s big) as the farm house, so I would make your farm house a bit bigger.

(And yes, I too would love some feedback (#26).)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Zelgadis85 Fixed. Honestly I'm amazed I didn't misspell more things considering how many things I had to do manually ;_;

Zelgadis85

IGMC 17/18 Entrant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm not sure if you used MZ or MV, but having your cliffs in the water would make more sense, specially since there's a waterfall. I feel like you might be using too many different flowers, the pink one specifically is pretty jarring. They also usually grow closer together, so having clumlps together would have been a better option. My biggest peeve is the stone though; I'm not quite sure what it's meant to represent in the context of your map. Those big stones are usally graves or memorials or something important, but your placement of it makes it feel less important than that. There's no path leading up to, it's not in its own little shrine (like the statue in #29), it's not surrounded by flowers, it's not elevated; in other words it's just there.
Thank you for your feedback! I made the map using MZ since it had more mapping layers to use. The stone was a mistake on my part, it was one of those things that looked cool, but I did not really consider whether it fit the map properly or not. I envisioned it being a seal or something of the sort, but I can see your point. Also, a good point about the flowers. I wanted to add color to the map but I guess I failed to select proper foliage to the map.

Just out of curiosity, did it bother you that I used different colored trees? I wanted to break the monotony of just green leaves and added some fall colors in, but now that I look at it, I'm not sure if that was a good idea.

And don't sweat it, Touchfuzzy. Thanks for fixing it though. :thumbsup-right:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Zelgadis85 That didn't bother me, no. Though now you mention it, I would have added an autumn tree to the top left somewhere else, just for balance. I also got more of a fantasy forest vibe than a "it's nearly autumn" vibe from it. (That might be just me though.)

@Touchfuzzy Hey, you wrote mine correctly and that's super hard, so congrats :ptea:

Elhijei

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No way! Everyone's map was sooo good!
My favourites are #2, #12 and #28, but all entries had something unique. I love @Coelocanth 's ford in the river or @cmdr_buttonhead 's river and monsters (the purple octopus!!!)

@Elhijei Congrats, 1st place is well deserved! The bridge is the highlight of the map obviously, looks very cool. Only things I would change: You could put the lanterns in front, behind the railing. This way it looks a bit off to me. Also are those guys having their coffee right above the street drain?^^

Thank you so much! You're actually right, it does look kind of wierd. I'll change it for my game! Also yes, they are :LZSlol: Sitting at the restaurant with the chair or the table dangling annoyingly because of the manhole, just a real life experience of mine haha

bjorn56

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It finally starts :D I am really looking forward to this!
Wish I would have had the time to participate ...

@bjorn56 I am glad you made it in! Your map was among my top three. I love the black & white look and the escalator. Reminded me of my year abroad in japan ...
Maybe you could add a bit more details to the ground.
Also I am very curious about your game now, this sounds really funny : D

@Puffer This one was my personal favorite! I become strangely nostalgic just by looking at it and I would really like to read/write a story about the people who live there. It also gives me the shadowrun vibes. And I like the lightning.
Thanks, I was going for a noir japan/ New York sort of thing. I do agree I needed more stuff on the ground. Next time, I'd add cracks and rubble and whatnot. I look forward to seeing what the next challenge is considering this is so much fun!

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any chance replies can be opened under each map? I wanted to leave comments earlier but didn't want to sway votes.

I would love feedback on mine (#9). I don't feel like I'd have much advice to offer anyone but it would be fun to share what I liked about different maps. Being able to post feedback right under each map would be a lot easier though.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Any chance replies can be opened under each map? I wanted to leave comments earlier but didn't want to sway votes.
I'm going to do that when the tournament is over, but I want to leave the threads for past rounds closed during the contest so that it is easier to see which polls are open.

Actually, let me just do something a little different, give me a minute.

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like some things were placed a bit too random. Like your road, the stones and that road blockage. Also your chicken coop is as tall (and nearly a s big) as the farm house, so I would make your farm house a bit bigger.
Hi, thanks so much for the feedback. You're absolutely right about the size of the coop, it's way too big. I tried to make the path look a bit uneven, trodden more in places than others, but I guess I overdid the randomness. I was trying to use the road blockage as a sort of work bench (not many tiles to pick from in the RTP) but I guess it didn't work so well.

Thanks, definitely some things to think about for my next maps!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Oh a work bench, I see. I feel like someone somewhere would have made a workbench tile for MV already, but I can't find it. Anyway, there's a couple of ways you could have gone with this:
- Added some tools (like the shovel/pickaxe from the Dungeon tilesheets or the hammers from the Inside tilsesheets) next to the blockage to make it a bit more obvious. (Of course, there's still a big chance the actual road block would not have read as a table.)
- Use an actual table (auto)tile and add a tool on top.
- If you're confident in your graphic skills, edit a workbench by using two of those road blocks and adding a wooden plank on top.

Also, I saw you only recently started with MV and your map is a lot better than my first maps were. So keep at it @Chilari :)

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, yes I am very new, I bought it in the sale two weeks ago, so when I made my entry it was, I think, about the 4th map I'd made at all. I don't know how to use tiles from tilesets other than what's selected and I don't have anything besides the vanilla tilesets installed. Defintitely not confident editing tilesets.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks, yes I am very new, I bought it in the sale two weeks ago, so when I made my entry it was, I think, about the 4th map I'd made at all. I don't know how to use tiles from tilesets other than what's selected and I don't have anything besides the vanilla tilesets installed. Defintitely not confident editing tilesets.
Really impressive for being that new. Looking forward to what you create when you really get the hang of it!

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@akoniti : I do love me some sci-fi, although there's some odd things going on here: 1) The big space viewport could probably use some sort of frame around it and a bit of a depression into the wall rather than the wall just...disappearing. 2) The plasma squares by the tree are a bit strange, but in fairness, I've never known exactly wtf that tile was for. 3) Plasma barriers in the bathroom seems...unnecessarily dangerous and illogical. :D

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to analyze my map and give me some feedback. I really liked your little cabin in the woods.

hiddenone mentioned framing the viewport too, that seems like a big one.

The plasma squares are supposed to be growlights for the plants, and the lasergate at the bathroom entrance is so nobody walks in on you...it's a futuristic 'occupied' notification :) Neither seems to have been clearly what it was supposed to be to viewers, which is probably pretty high on the list of 'things a map should accomplish' lol.

Thanks again!

I'm not the best at sci-fi, but I'll give it a go. I think your viewing area is a bit too big and would have been better if you cut off one or two columns of chairs. Also I assume the white chairs are meant to represent little tables? If so, some drinks or maybe an ashtray or a magazine or something on some of them would be good. The pipes on te right are very obvious not fitting with the rest of the map, which is a shame. I also think your map would have benefited from some sort of tint, since it looks brighter than the setting would let me believe.

Thank you as well!! Your beach scene was one of my favorites, I really wanted to walk around in it and soak up some salt air.

Exactly, they were supposed to be tables for the audience to put their drinks on...though why you would recommend that I put drinks on them escapes me.....wait.... :LZSlol:

Those pipes from the MV SF -> Inside C set are a weakness of mine. Ever since I first saw them I've been trying to do things with them, with wildly varying degrees of success.

Funny that you mention the tint...I spent awhile playing around with shadows but couldn't get it right so left them out. What's the best way to tint a map, or at least portions of it? I guess I could custom tint the tilesets themselves, but maybe there's a better way.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Congratulations on everyone who made it to the next round! :kaojoy:

I would be interested in hearing why I got some low scores on my map, as I thought it was pretty good but people seem to have thought otherwise. Feedback will help me improve!
I quite liked your map and if you are trying to convey a sense of something being deep in a forest then I think it's fine. If playing it, however, you would see a much smaller area so all those trees would be wasted. I would suggest a small side trail and clearing (perhaps with a lonely grave or a well) to give interest and to emphasise the isolation. Also, I would suggest you need to use some shadows around the central feature to give more depth and maybe a little offering bowl or something to show the shrine is in use (or a cracked, empty one to indicate abandonment).

EDIT: Actually, scrap that comment about the trees being wasted. Just thinking about it, as you moved about the clearing more of those trees would of course be revealed, so if you were truly trying to convey the density of the forest then that would be perfectly appropriate.

Last edited:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@hiddenone I'd like to hear what you think of my map, too. It's number 27.
It's from an old project that I'm not working on anymore. It was supposed to be separated maps, but I changed the layout somewhat and put them together into a single map for this contest.

Also, are you gonna give feedback to all 30 maps? RIP Thanks in advance!
022.gif

Everyone else, feel free to comment, too.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Tiamat-86 wrote on Andar's profile.
tfw just trying to help and get yelled at. /comfort
:LZSooo: Gotcha Gotcha Games... have launched an official discord server for RPG Maker. :LZSooo:

doodled a poring today :kaoluv:
uc
Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dramacoolanetamak