Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just put in my votes and loved the maps! There are some really cool ideas I've never seen before.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit: Just finished voting and holy crap, all the maps look insanely good! I'm going to avoid voting in my own thread this time, but it's killing me not seeing the results so far. :o
Also, can I just say I was fully expecting at least one of the maps for "Home Town" to be on fire, and I'm kind of disappointed that none of them were.
Yeah I really kind of hate that trope, so nope! Protag gets to go back home to his/her/their/its family when the Big Bad is toast. :3

Last edited:

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow, some amazing maps here. I'm still spotting things and going "I've never seen that before" (quickly takes notes). Being able to compare each bracket directly is great and makes it easy to spend a good amount of time studying them side by side. It's really interesting to see people's different views on display with the vote scores too. Several that I voted for were behind by quite a way which highlights that we are all vastly different with what we look for in a map.

I'm going to avoid voting in my own thread this time, but it's killing me not seeing the results so far. :o

Ditto! :eek:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So one thing I looked at that I'm not sure other people did was the flow of the map. I usually like towns to have a much more open "flow" than other types of maps. Because you want players to be able to get from place to place in town quickly without having to walk around in convoluted ways. So I tend not to go for ones that look like they have a linear walking path.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So one thing I looked at that I'm not sure other people did was the flow of the map.
I tried to look and see if it all made sense in the way the levels, bridges and roads were laid out. Shadows, too, are important to give a map depth and definition. They are my bête noire. I struggle always with trying to make them look right (and don't always succeed) because sometimes you need to use them in an unnatural way in order to make something look natural (I know that doesn't make sense) but I find things with no shadows look terribly flat. But again, that's my preference and obviously others voted far differently to me so the end results are going to be extremely interesting.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tried to look and see if it all made sense in the way the levels, bridges and roads were laid out. Shadows, too, are important to give a map depth and definition. They are my bête noire. I struggle always with trying to make them look right (and don't always succeed) because sometimes you need to use them in an unnatural way in order to make something look natural (I know that doesn't make sense) but I find things with no shadows look terribly flat. But again, that's my preference and obviously others voted far differently to me so the end results are going to be extremely interesting.

I watch a youtube channel about movie/tv show special effects and one of the things they talk about a lot is that often times you aren't trying to create reality, you are trying to make "movie reality" because if things looked actually realistic it wouldn't feel right.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I watch a youtube channel about movie/tv show special effects and one of the things they talk about a lot is that often times you aren't trying to create reality, you are trying to make "movie reality" because if things looked actually realistic it wouldn't feel right.
The human eye and mind are strange critters indeed. :smile:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Several that I voted for were behind by quite a way which highlights that we are all vastly different with what we look for in a map.
Personaly i found that one of the best things to notice when i voted. The more diverse the votes the more diverse the community the more valuable feedback and brainstorming becomes :)

Some maps are truly pieces of art where others were more functional which made judging them tricky at Times. In the end tho i went with my heart and voted the ones that 'spoke' to me the most but boy oh boy... This is gonna get harder and harder the further we get - Love it!

And good Luck to all remaining entries!!!

IguanaGuy

Developing I.C.B.M. :Unleashed!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will be interested in the feedback afterwards as well. A lot of good maps. I agree with a previous comment that you can see the next level of effort put into these entries.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still haven't voted on every pair yet. Difficult choices all around. Everyone's entries are really good!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just for now, don't indicate which map was yours. I don't want to give too much information for people to try to figure out which map was which. Apologies I should have said something before.

Once we are done with the finals, I'll label every round. That said if anyone wants feedback on their entry, PM me and I'll indicate which ones have asked for feedback. (It actually might be interesting to get anonymous feedback anyway)

Has currently asked for feedback: E1

(I'm also going to have the scores actually be the vote counts after we finish).

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So a little more detail on how our Bracket Predictions are going.

While @coucassi is currently in second, and @tumsterfest is currently in first, all of coucassi's later predictions are still alive (as in, he didn't predict someone to win in a later match that lost in the first match).

He has the potential, if he gets all other possible predictions correct, to score a total of 159/175 points. tumsterfest at max, has the second highest potential score, at 137/175.

While @hiddenone is currently tied for 3rd, she is actually already out of the competition. All but one of her later match winners are already knocked out of the tournament! She has only a max potential score of 52/175, and tumsterfest already scored 56 in the first round.

The singular most impressive bracket though comes from @Zelgadis85, who managed to get only 1 correct prediction in the entire first round, and who has both a current score and max potential score of 8/175. I don't think I could have done this had I tried.

Last edited:

tumsterfest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always knew my love of playoff college basketball would come in handy on an RPG Maker forum someday.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always knew my love of playoff college basketball would come in handy on an RPG Maker forum someday.
If you couldn't tell, I might have a love for March Madness as well... hence this contest's format and existence...

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Some really awesome maps in round 2. I must admit I was suprised to see my picks were in the minority (currently at least, you never know after all ;) ).

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm having a much harder time deciding/casting my vote this round. All the maps are just so well done.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

2dfloor.png
What a fun tileset I've got here so far!
Minecraft Tiles, Maid Day, Custom Menu, Retry at GameOver, Save in Appdata | RPG Maker News #36

side view special bust.png
Reworking the art for the 'special busts' in important game dialogue. Potentially replacing the more 'dead-on' look of the original:
original.png
Me: Imma work on my game! Let's get some progress done
Me, five minutes later smoking a cigarette: *screams into the void*
Just got back from work... I got to recommend a dish I liked to a group of senior ladies, and they said they'd order it for dessert! What was it? CHURROS! It's one of my favorite desserts at my workplace.
What's your favorite dessert? I'll eat any pastry with cinnamon and sugar, but especially churros. And then there's chocolate... omg, so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porkate