watermark

Playing around with MZ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Obviously, you can just do your maps quite easily in RM itself.

However, do any of you pre-plan/prototype your maps somewhere else first? Either drawing by hand or using another program? What might be the benefits?

Last edited:

Arctica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I will look up maps from RPGs I've played in the past and use them to derive ideas from.

Sarena

RPG Making since RM95!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I rarely use tilesets for my maps, and mostly only make my own parallax backgrounds, so the majority of my map planning and creation happens outside of RPG Maker. I usually start with a rough sketch of the layout, sometimes even laying out events and other areas that the player can interact with, then I lay down the details.

I sometimes did this in the past when planning out maps using tilesets, but not as often since it is fairly quick to set those up in the engine itself.

The main benefit to planning it out externally though is that you can quickly plan events without getting caught up in choosing the right charset for them or figuring out the technicalities of it all. It's nice to just focus on the overall level design at a very broad level first.

As for tools, sometimes I'll just sketch a map layout in my sketchbook using pencil and paper. Other times I'll draw it out in Photoshop so I can use colors or quickly import concepts. When I've taught RPG Maker classes, I've also done activities with students where we draw a map together on a dry erase board. So it really depends on what you want to use!

To show an example of a sketch that I did do of a tileset map, this was the original sketch:
Gek World.png

And then I turned it into tilesets that looked like this:
RMMV_Gek.jpg

Like with any art form, the final product sometimes changes from the initial sketch, but I do think it definitely helps to have a plan to start with!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just tested latest update (Map transfers, Credits scene etc...) on MV (with RETRO) and everything thing seems to work as intended!
credits.png
Ugh, can't decide what to make next!
The Dystopia
ikW0BYF.png
Recently got RPG Maker MZ. A bit slower with my current PC but I will be getting a new one soon.
evening progress; pretty happy where this is at so i'll take the rest of the night to myself =w=
5NJGyKY.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sograyish