CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone,

I think this could be a bug, but my forum search didn't find anything so I thought I'd double check first.

I'm currently trying to set up a World Map. As auto-tiles have so few frames of animation in RMMV, I had to find a way around it for my water animation. To do so, I used a Fixed Parallax background (this means that it doesn't scroll with the map). I did this by adding an exclamation mark (!) to the start of my parallax background's file name, and it works perfectly.

Being a World Map, I also need the edges of the map to loop (like a real globe would work), so that the player doesn't run up against the edge of the screen. To achieve this, I used the Scroll Type map setting and set it to Loop Both. This does work very well - the map loops correctly when I cross over the edge of the screen. However, RMMV must get its wires crossed, as this setting also makes my Parallax background start scrolling with the player's movement - which naturally doesn't look right at all.

So in short, the Scroll Type setting makes a Fixed Parallax background scroll, overriding the exclamation mark setting described above. Is this a bug? Or is there a way around this? If it's the former, I'll report it on the Improvements board, however I'd love to know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks for reading!

Ugouka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You made sure the boxes in the picture below are unchecked, yes?

parallax.png

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yep =) If I turn Scroll Type to None, the Parallax background doesn't move. If I turn Scroll Type to anything else, it moves.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very strange.  I doubt it would be it, but the parallax is sized correctly for the map size?  Width = map width x 48, Height = map height x 48?

If that's okay, it shouldn't be too difficult to track down.  Could you please provide a screenshot of your map properties window just to confirm all the settings?

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sure thing! Here's the requested screenshot of my map properties =)

ot_AT6OUldJaqM33-qVj_F2vCDcPL3Ck-MWIIJB6eqk

To answer your question, no - the parallax is actually not sized correctly for the map. At this stage, I've just been using a single 48x48 water tile, which then gets tiled by RMMV to create a consistent effect across the entire map. As I say, it all works perfectly when Scroll Type is set to None, so I'd be surprised if that's an issue (but I suppose it could have an effect if this is a bug).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CriticalGames Parallax mapping requires that the map is sized to the tiles, it will never work that way if you need to loop the parallax (which is what is now happening).

As you can see yourself, as soon as you try to scroll an already looping parallax, everything is off - you would need a special plugin to allow for both effects at the same time.

And I don't know of such a plugin because I haven't heard of anyone trying that before.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the explanation! Well, unfortunately, if I make the Parallax Background the same size as the map, the game spends around a minute loading and then crashes. So that option's out. Sounds like I need a plugin then...Although I really should say - the background is tiled flawlessly when Scroll Type is disabled. I can't see why there would be any visual discrepancies if the map looping was enabled on a fixed parallax background. But given the way it overrides the exclamation mark in this situation, obviously RMMV just doesn't allow that.

When I first started working on the looping, I tried doing it the same way I did in RMXP (once the player crosses a certain threshold, they're instantly transferred to the other side of the map without them knowing it). Sadly, in RMMV, if you transition without a fade effect, the game stutters and jerks around, so that doesn't work either.

Argh, I've only been back working on RMMV for a couple of days now (still been on RMXP for the past several months) and it's already driving me insane with limitations XD

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd sincerely appreciate it. Regardless, thank you Ugouka, Shaz, and Andar for your help =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
how big is that map? Both in pixels (parallax picture pixel size) and tiles (map properties)

Loading a parallax should not crash the game unless the computers cache or memory gets overloaded, and that would require a really big map - bigger than should be possible unless you're working on a computer with very low RAM.

But it can cause crashes if you're using an incompatible combination of plugins or such that is affected by map/parallax changes

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The map is 256x206 (so 12288x9888). I agree, I was very surprised that it had that effect - and it happened every single time I tried to load it. My PC isn't amazing, but it's certainly passable (4GB of RAM).

I don't believe it's a plugin related crash, because it only happens when I use a Parallax Background that is the full size of my World Map (12288x9888) - my 48x48 background that I described works happily under the exact same conditions.

*EDIT* - Actually, hang on. I just did a test with a small map (24x20 tiles). I made up a Parallax Background that was the exact same size as the map, gave the filename an exclamation mark at the front, and set the map's Scroll Type to Loop Both. It caused the exact same problem as on the World Map - the background scrolled with the player, rather than staying in place like it should. When I changed Scroll Type to None, however, the background stayed fixed in place.

My understanding from one of Andar's posts above is that the issue I described was caused by my background being smaller than my map. However, based on this test, that obviously cannot be the issue. Hmm...

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm afraid I still haven't managed to get to the bottom of this. I was going to select one of Andar's earlier posts as the answer to this topic, however, as you can see in my *EDIT* above, things don't seem to be quite that simple. If anyone has any ideas, they're greatly appreciated =)

Ugouka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Does this happen when you use one of the default Parallaxes? Or just your custom one?

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good idea! Hadn't thought to check that. ...But yep, it's exactly the same with the default Parallax Backgrounds (assuming I put an exclamation mark in front of the file name to make it fixed, of course - like my custom one). Thanks for the suggestion, though!

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
*Bump* Given my more recent tests (see the *EDIT* above), I'm still trying to determine whether or not this is something I can get around or if it's actually a bug in RMMV. Any help in determining this would be greatly appreciated! =)

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm sorry to keep *bumping* this topic, but this is something I'd really like to get sorted out. Essentially, I'm just trying to determine whether or not this is a bug in RPG Maker MV. If it is, then I'll post it on the RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards; but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance!

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
*Bump* and a new idea - can someone else please try the process described above in my posts and see if they get the same results? If someone else does get the same result (i.e. a parallax background wtih ! in front of its filename scrolling when a Map Scroll Type setting is selected), then I'll post about this in the RPG Maker MV Improvement Boards - as it's most likely a bug. Thanks a lot! =)

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, one last *bump* before I post on the RPG Maker MV Improvement Board - just in case =) To recap everything above:

I'm currently trying to set up a World Map. As auto-tiles have so few frames of animation in RMMV, I had to find a way around it for my water animation. To do so, I used a Fixed Parallax background (this means that it doesn't scroll with the map). I did this by adding an exclamation mark (!) to the start of my parallax background's file name, and it works perfectly.

Being a World Map, I also need the edges of the map to loop (like a real globe would work), so that the player doesn't run up against the edge of the screen. To achieve this, I used the Scroll Type map setting and set it to Loop Both. This does work very well - the map loops correctly when I cross over the edge of the screen. However, RMMV must get its wires crossed, as this setting also makes my Parallax background start scrolling with the player's movement - which naturally doesn't look right at all.

So in short, the Scroll Type setting makes a Fixed Parallax background scroll, overriding the exclamation mark setting described above.

Ugouka suggested that I might have accidentally ticked the Loop Horizontally/Vertically boxes under Parallax Background in the Map settings, however I can confirm that they are unchecked.

Andar then claimed the problem had to do with my approach, as I am using a 48x48 (1 tile, in other words) sized Parallax Background to fill a 256x206 tile map. So the Parallax is not the same size as the map. At first I thought he was correct about this, however I then tested out small map (24x20 tiles). I made up a Parallax Background that was the exact same size as that map, gave the filename an exclamation mark at the front (like before), and set the map's Scroll Type to Loop Both. And it caused the exact same problem as on the World Map - the background scrolled with the player, rather than staying in place like it should. The issue was identical regardless of the fact that my Parallax Background was the same size as the map.

As such, I am left to conclude that this must be a bug. If anyone has any ideas before I post this on the Improvement Board, they're always appreciated. Regardless, thank you very much for your time!

tenac666

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a question. Do you know how to change dircection of this "loop verically"?
Becouse for the start parralax background going from the top to down. How to change direction on down to top? Im makeing raceing mini game and street should go from the down to top.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

@tenac666 , please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Furthermore, please avoid hijacking a thread to ask your own questions. You can start a new thread if you have any inquiries.

I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Quite the versatile cast so far :p

chars.PNG

Edit: Sprites are made by Alexdraws and TheMightyPalm. I just edited them.
Degica Games Turn Komodo | RPG Maker News #77

Well, rats. Was really looking forward to trying out FPS Creator, but trying to install and set it up was pretty much impossible for my tiny brain to comprehend. So much for that, then.
Ah, home once more! I think I can safely work on my games now.
Let's hope power remains on for the day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reilo