ighrpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am trying to understand the screen size for RPG MZ, how to you do that ? it seems to be based on tile size.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can specify the resolution in the System 2 tab, it can be whatever you want it to be.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it can be anysize like Trihan said but with a minor restriction.

it must be dividable by 48:

17 x 48 = 816 (default in MV) and 13 x 48 = 624 (default)

in order to make your resolution, base I use is 25x18 (1200x900)
so you can see what is closest o your resolution.

keep in mind that not all monitors or people uses this resolution 1920x1080.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is, like, maybe technically true...which is why it's a good idea to have an options menu to change it...but it is by far and wide the default for years now. Like, even your grandma going to Staples to get a computer for her e-mail is going to end up with a monitor that displays 1080p. That's just what is made these days. You'd have to try to find something that doesn't. Maybe an older laptop.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
it can be anysize like Trihan said but with a minor restriction.

it must be dividable by 48:

17 x 48 = 816 (default in MV) and 13 x 48 = 624 (default)

in order to make your resolution, base I use is 25x18 (1200x900)
so you can see what is closest o your resolution.

Though that's only technically correct because you *can* have resolutions that aren't divisible by 48, it just means you won't see complete tiles on the edges. :p My test project's been using 1366x768 for ages now. :p

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as said above, the screen size chosen should be divisable by the grid size (48 pixel by default), because the engine has problems with displaying incomplete tiles and that would result in distortions.

40 default tiles are 1920 pixel, 22 tiles are 1056.
so the best option you can do is 1920x1056 pixel screen size with a minimum map size of 40x22 tiles.

because that is another restriction of the engine: the screen size sets the minimum map size, with maps smaller than the screen there are other distortions and even mirroring or repeating of map parts.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
because that is another restriction of the engine: the screen size sets the minimum map size, with maps smaller than the screen there are other distortions and even mirroring or repeating of map parts.
How strongly do you feel that's still true? I have plenty of small maps in MV for my building interiors and I've never seen any kind of graphical errors. Or are there specific circumstances that will trigger it?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I admit that I last used MV for more than simple checks on 1.5.x or so, but then the effect was basically doubling or tripling the smaller maps until the screen was full.

it might be that they changed that exactly because it was reported as a bug here in the forum several times.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I tested this plugin in MZ and it worked, it adjusts the game screen by the height of the screen and adjusts the width proportionally.

Perhaps it adds something to the subject of the discussion.

ighrpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for the response and discussions. Right now I have it set to 1600x900 and I have a Plugin that has a option for Fullscreen mode. so it seems to work and look good. I have also tried using a plugin that at the start of the game it auto sets it to fullscreen which is nice too.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MZ Support. Thank you.

Based on your posts, it seems you HAVE MZ, so if you need help with something, please post here in the MZ Support forum (or Plugin Requests or Support, if it's related to plugins), rather than Product Discussion and Support.

Neptrone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is, like, maybe technically true...which is why it's a good idea to have an options menu to change it...but it is by far and wide the default for years now. Like, even your grandma going to Staples to get a computer for her e-mail is going to end up with a monitor that displays 1080p. That's just what is made these days. You'd have to try to find something that doesn't. Maybe an older laptop.
I agree with this. Also isn't very older laptop only has 4GB ram by default ? I believe those people will not play current game made by RPG MV or MZ which need 8 GB ram.

me personally targeting the audience which has mid range laptop/monitor specs (1080p res and 8GB ram)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If I recall right, last survey though found that most people have around 1366 x 768 set on their monitor. And I have found that most who actually BUY RPGmaker games (emphasis on buy) have lower end computers usually. In fact there are some who can't play MZ games as their computers are too low end for them.

Neptrone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Primarily Uses
N/A
If I recall right, last survey though found that most people have around 1366 x 768 set on their monitor. And I have found that most who actually BUY RPGmaker games (emphasis on buy) have lower end computers usually. In fact there are some who can't play MZ games as their computers are too low end for them.
well according to this statistic 1366x768 is second most popular. The first one is 1920x1080

That's true. I worried people who use win 10 + 2GB ram on older laptop try to play heavy RPG Maker game.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends on where you go. As I said mine was based on those who buy RPGMaker games, not based on what everyone uses. Those are two different groups. And usually those with really high def monitors with fancy set ups are not looking to play RPGMaker games with them I've found.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.
Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xCaramelCookiex