Map symmetry

KeroTani

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm working on one of my maps and I was putting in a door and it hit me. I'm putting my doors in the middle of the map/room/house. I know you can put things where ever you want but is there anything wrong with lining everything up?

The Prince of Sarcasm

Prince of sarcasm
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
I don't think I understand what you're asking. Maybe some screenshots of the different placements would be nice.

KeroTani

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I mean i'm trying to make everything even and I know I really don't need to.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you tell us what your problem is? Do you want opinions on how something would look or do you have a real problem to place doors where you want them?

KeroTani

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's more of an  opinion or preference. I made a dungeon that had the very sqaure layout like it was Zelda 1. I just wanted to know what other people thought in  terms of dungeon design and layout. I changed my square  design because I thought it looked plain. This is my first game outside of dnd.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In that case no, I don't think maps should be forced into symetry.

There are exactly two cases in which you should have a symetric map:

1) if a puzzle on the map requires it

2) if it is something artificial that usually is made symetrically for specific reasons

In all other cases, structures are not symetrically - not natural caves, not simple buildings (where the entry is often determined by easiest placement, especially in simple/poor homes), not rivers or streets (modern streets are direct, but only because they are to be travelled at high speed and modern equipment can easily level mountains for the roads - in ancient times "roads" were often dirt path that followed the easiest way around mountains and needed to follow rivers to where they could be forded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)
Today I went to sleep without setting an alarm, so I could sleep more than 2 hours. I woke up after 2 hours.
Sigh :( ... displaying numbers representing the stats of the PCs for a custom menu in rm2k3 is haaaaaaaarrrd!!! DX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevechtrs