Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
HOW TO MAP A DOORWAY YOU CAN WALK UNDER, A 'SECRET' PATH, ARCHWAY, WHATEVER YOU FANCY
IN AN AUTO TILE AREA

This tutorial is made as a result of a request. NOTE it doesn’t matter if you are using VX Ace or MV, the process is identical.

People often want the player to walk under tiles to get to another part of the map. It could be a ‘secret path’ or an archway, or simply a doorway. This tutorial shows how this can be done in the editor using straightforward mapping. In addition to RPG Maker you will need an image manipulation program e.g. GIMP (free), PhotoShop, paint.NET I have used GIMP for this.

You want the player to move from the large room to the smaller, though an apparently solid wall.
Tutorial 1.png

Create B-E tiles

You cannot use your autotiles for this, as you need them to be set to star passability.

Open your A4 tile sheet in your image program. Copy the large lower section of the ceiling tile and put it on a work sheet, with the grid set to half the normal tile size. That means that if you are using VX Ace your grid will be 16 x 16, and if you are using MV your grid will be 24 x 24. You will then have something that looks like this.
Tutorial 2.png
So that you can see more clearly what is happening, I have hidden the dark centre of the tile for the next step. Copy the tiles marked 1, 2 and 3 (if needed) and put them on the tile sheet you will be using for mapping. Import the sheet into your project and mark them with star passability.
Tutorial 3.png Tutorial 4.png

Mapping

On your map, you will need walkable tiles where you want the player to go. Use shift-click mapping so that you do not disturb your ceiling autotiles. If you do not know how to shift-click tiles, see this tutorial – it is a skill that you will need for a lot of things.
Tutorial 5.png

Place tiles 1 and 2 over the gap and you now have a way for the player to walk along – but with a problem! The top of the head will show.
Tutorial 5_1.png

That is because sprites are offset by a few pixels. To solve this, simply place another copy of tiles 1 and 2 on the row above the path over your auto tile. The sprite is now no longer visible, and your player can get through to the other side.
Tutorial 6.png

Tile 3 is only used if the area you want them to walk under is wider than 2 tiles. You use them in exactly the same way.

Single tile e.g. doorway.

Take just the outer half of your autotile and combine it into one complete tile and use in the same way.
Tutorial 9.png

Here are a couple of screenshots showing single tile doorway and much wider hidden path.
Tutorial 7.png Tutorial 8.png

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looks pretty nice. Since this is an additional graphic we could go further and sprite it in such a way that you can tell it's a doorway. Maybe even have an event graphic sticking out that looks like a open door, or what some people do which is just jut it in a little at an angle, showing a bit of wall.

Or there's the Final Fantasy VII way which is to show an arrow icon to show that it's a doorway you can walk through.

Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Amy Pond You're right, of course, but the request was from someone who is only starting out, so I thought it best to keep it simple. I might at some stage put an additional section on extras that people can try. For some of my own doorways I utilise additional graphics. However, I have never, ever been tempted to do the FFVII arrow method, I just don't like it.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks for this tutorial :)

Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BCj I hope you find it useful.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh yes, I was planning to have hidden paths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ive got a long lost half uncle. Thats real cool.
I forget what is bumping rule in this forum. Is anyone know? Thank you.
BCj
Ew, why does my blogpost on the rpgmaker.net site look like a garbled mess? Are html codes disabled or something?
I feel that I should cut down on my order queue so I can get some more time for my projects, its been quite a longggg while since I worked on them LOL
I friend of mine insisted on practicing dubbing things with him... and its quite funny, yet, it really takes a huge amount of practice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Babiboo