Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So, for my project, i'm intending to create a small map that is basically the inside of a traveling carriage. What i'm trying to do here is get a little bit of help making it look like the inside of an actual carriage and not a small wooden room on wheels.

I did google such things, and I do have some work done on it, but if anyone has any recommendations on how to make it look better/more believable, i'd love to hear it.

KgqbgoH.jpg

Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't figure out anywhere else this might go.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
How many people are supposed to fit inside? Do they walk around or just sit and ride?

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Moved to Discussion.

Well, one of the things you have to keep in mind is the scale. The map you have right now is really very large. Carriages normally have enough room for a couple of people to sit, so there wouldn't be as much walking room as you have right now.

Here's an example of a carriage inside I made a while back:

DOYB-SS.png

Besides the scale, I also added some details like the suitcases in the corner, the curtain and a scrolling panorama outside the windows that make it look like a carriage that's moving.

Hope that helps! :)

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
...Looks like the map's gonna have a lot of black space.

A moderate size, i'd say. Not as small as the example Lunarea has here, but yea, I see the map's much too big.

EDIT: Also, I'd prefer to keep things as close to RTP as possible.

EDIT 2: Toned down the size and added a few thingies.

WZ86JKx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Euphoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It look strange with the walls like that. Notice how Lunarea's walls are. That looks more normal.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Okay. Not entirely sure how to fix that, per'say. Keeping in mind that i'm using almost entirely RTP tiles, and not the custom work that seems to comprise 95% of the art in Lunarea's screenie.

Onomotopoeia

I don't know, nobody's told me yet.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Lunarea's would certainly be one way to go; another would be to create a parallaxed interior.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well, unfortunately, I have exactly 0 skill or interest in parallax mapping.

I could trim some of the excess wall sections off of the map.

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You should do that. And try to use a tile specifically for the roof of the carriage (what you see from above), and a different one for the walls that hold the windows.

Otherwise it looks like the carriage was squished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
your using a roof tile for the wall, which looks strange. I get what you're going for, but it still looks a little strange.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It does look a bit weird, compared to what's being used for the actual roof. Not sure how to fix that, however.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Why not just use a wall tile instead?

Match the roof and the wall together as much as possible.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I dunno. I kind of like the idea of the walls having the smooth wood look to it, as opposed to wooden slats everywhere.

Euphoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The ceiling wall does look a bit off, but overall it's a great improvement.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I really think this is about as good as I can do within my current restraints(Minimum amount of requests, stick to RTP as much as possible). I don't want to start diving into RTP edits too much.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of the walls having the smooth wood look to it, as opposed to wooden slats everywhere.
That's totally fine, but you might want to use shift-mapping so that it doesn't end up with the edges. The lighter edges mess with the perspective. :)

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
That's totally fine, but you might want to use shift-mapping so that it doesn't end up with the edges. The lighter edges mess with the perspective. :)
Done.

I'm sure I would make something a lot more grand if I wasn't bound to the rtp for this project. Oh well.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ready to fall into another development hell...
Mega has been giving me a lot of problems as of late, so I think I'll need to switch to another cloud service. I'm considering Dropbox.
Rough week, but in the end there's light in the darkness.
Mental health is an issue I wish was taken more seriously.
Take care.
1638421271905.jpeg
By the power of timezones! This picture shall still be posted on december 1st!!!
7xI2Gc2.jpg

This is not something I'd ever even considered but wow! What a way to use music in a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgjtjtjt