Mapping Issue??!

kennysaurs

Amazing Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Map001.png

I have been trying to map the bridge without the grass showing next to it but I cant seem to find a way around it.

Is there a way to use this bridge and only have the water under it? This bridge is in Tileset A Outside.

Kinda like this one:

THis bridge is in Tileset B Outside.

Map001.png

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need to shift-click to map. Redraw the water, then when placing the bridge tile, hold the shift button.

Last edited by a moderator:

kennysaurs

Amazing Person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You need to shift-click to map. Redraw the water, then when placing the bridge tile, hold the shift button.
Ahhh thank you so much 

that actually solves so many other mapping problems I've had!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can also hold shift while right clicking and dragging to select a group of tiles to copy exactly as they are. There's a good tutorial on it Ace tutorials, but it works the same for MV.

Granas3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
The reason you need to shift click is that that particular bridge tile is in the A set, and so is on the same layer as the water tile. What is happening is the water tile is viewing the bridge as it would any other piece of land, and so shows its edges. This is why you don't see the same thing with the bridge tiles on B-E, as they are not drawn on the ground layer.

nerdypants

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Singlish
may i know what shift click does? the function, does it make the A set tiles become B-E while holding shift. thanks

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With auto-tiles, shift-click will place the "middle" of the tile, giving you a borderless piece.  They do not become B-E tiles though, as they are still drawn on the ground layer.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. It allows you to map without changing the autotiles.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
? If I click on an autotile and hold shift while placing it, it places a borderless piece.  If I right click on already placed tiles and hold shift while placing, then yes, it maps without changing it.

Granas3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's slightly more than that. If you select an autotile in the usual way, and then place it with a shift click, it will be placed as a borderless tile. However, if you shift right-click to select a placed autotile, say the corner of a roof/wall, then shift click elsewhere on the map, it will place the tile as you selected, ignoring any interaction with other tiles. However, it is still treated as an autotile in all other respects, it is placed on the "Ground" or "A" layer of the map, and if you add other tiles around the specially placed tile, they may still interact with it, so it's best used at the end of mapping. Shift clicking lets any tile ignore what tiles are around it when placed, so if you want to have a solid square of paving amongst, for instance, a water autotile, rather than the water autotile seeming to move around the block, the block would appear to be above the water tile, but is still on the same layer. 

EDIT: If you're still not sure what shift clicking does, the best way is to experiement ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem here is that "shift-click" is not a single function - that's why there are tutorials on it as well.

There is a difference between holding shift when selecting a tile and holding shift when placing a tile, resulting in four different behaviour combinations depending on where and when you click while holding (or not holding) shift.

The tutorial on shift-click-mapping is linked in my starting point tutorial, you might want to follow that link in my signature.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
? If I click on an autotile and hold shift while placing it, it places a borderless piece.  If I right click on already placed tiles and hold shift while placing, then yes, it maps without changing it.
I was referring to the post above yours. You simply posted in the meantime ;)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahh, okay Shaz! I think I will refrain from commenting anymore because I can't tell who is talking to whom!! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My city has enacted some measures to lock down the city from the plague for the first time in China and it has been reported even on some international news. :kaomad2: I'd never imagined my little city would be paid attention to in such a way.
I made a lot of progress on the 2nd stage of my game. Only 10 levels but it took over a week to design and implement. Cant wait to share more info.
Decided to focus on mapping for once. I've pumped out 15* new maps over the past two days' work, including two larger ones that involved some kinda fancy parallax stuff.

*should actually be 17 by the end of the night.
its been a while help
About to go live with a drawpile stream! Me and some fellow artists will be drawing things based off of prompts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Legend20