Mapping resources

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I’m not sure wherent post this so please, feel free to move it mods if I get it wrong!

I have a question in regards to mapping and the resource packs, ie. if I am the mapper for a team and I’ve bought all the resource packs previously, but no one in the team has them, I can still use them to make maps for the team project?

It’s one day f those things that’s been bugging me to know and I can’t find any info about it. I always use commercial free stuff for maps I make in trade or get paid to make unless the requester gives me prof they own the mapping bug pack, but as a team member how does that work?

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those team members that don't have these dlc used in mapping aren't entitled to getting that image file or working with it, so you'd have to substitute them everytime you send the project. If that is even possible by eula.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ya if the person has not paid for and own a licence to use a resource, they cannot touch or manipulate said resource.
Just like if I buy a music to use in my video, if that video is a part of a larger project I still can't let other people use that song in their video, because they don't have a licence for it.
Even if at the end I put alll those videos together to make a film.
(all those maps to make a game)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In my sense though, those who haven't bought the dlc, it still ok to work with the resources as long as it's within the scope of your project. But if they're starting to use em for different stuff and games, they aren't allowed.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont think that's correct.. that would mean they can possess a resource file they didnt pay for. Unless you are all working on the same computer.. i dont think thats how it works.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
(IANAL)
It's important to remember you are not purchasing the asset, but rather a license to use the asset in a specified manner.
The terms of your agreement are stated somewhere in the transaction as part of distribution.

Typically...
Anyone on your team can access (but not use) the assets. See distribution. See Businesses.
Purchased licenses can be used by one individual on any computer.
The final product built from the use of licensed assets must remain under the ownership of the individual or business that purchased the license or, the final product can only be transferred to a person who owns a copy of the license.

We can see that...
Ownership of the final product is one part.
The other part is about who uses the asset.

Further..
Keep in mind that you cannot distribute the asset in its unsecured form unless you have purchased the rights to do so.
Distributing assets does take on a different form when it is shared between members of a business, and is generally considered secure.

There is a difference in use between a personal and commercial license.
If the license is commercial, it can be transferred to a business created by the individual.
The license can be attributed for use by an individual in a specific position or with a specific responsibility for as long as they hold that position or responsibility in that business. However, the license remains under the business.
If additional responsibilities or positions require that license, the number of licenses owned should reflect that.

Hopefully this illuminates some of the confusing aspects of license ownership under the context most may use them. I cannot guarantee this is all accurate, but it reflects what I've seen in the real world.

The final answer to your question...
The owner of the final product must purchase a copy of the license or
you must transfer all ownership of your licenses to the owner of the final product or
You must take ownership of the final product

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok. So for example,

I have bought the Arabian tile set. I’ve been using it to make a personal game.
I’m also On A team with 3 other people who do not own that tile set, but I’m the mapper of the team so I’ll be using the tillers and making all the maps.
The team decides that we should make a game with an Arabian theme so the tile set I bought would be fine effect for that.

Would we, as a team, then have to purchase a second Arabian tile set under the teams name? Just to keep the whole thing right?

Or as official team mapper is my own ownership enough? Seeing as I’m credited as mapper and co developer of the game.

I know this might seem a bit repetitive, but it’s an idea I’ve found interesting and if I was ever to join a team I’d like to know where I would stand as I tend to edit tile sets together to get the effects I need to a map.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The team leader (the one who will be responsible for publishing the game) and anyone working with the resource has to own their own licence of anything used.

If someone only provides audiofiles for the project, he doesn't need a licence to mapping resources - unless he starts helping or working with the maps, in that case he needs to purchase his own licence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Trauma, drama, llamas--sadly the only one of those things I'm not experiencing RN is the camelids.
Do you ever just write or say nonsense? String together words to make a sentence that sounds pretty but is meaningless?
Writing down my ideas for my next game during break times at work XD I need to finish my current one very soon.
I survived Baudelaire and Bukowski, but I can't face C. Lispector. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dat-Writer