Maps and Characters in different styles.

GuanyuMaker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone!

I've bought recently the whole Time Fantasy package. While I like everything on it I really dont want that map style on my actual project but I still want to use charsets and SV battlers from it. Said that I've been trying to evaluate how it feels to have TF characters in maps using RTP resolution/style.

I've grown playing PSX JRPGS where was very common to have 3d models in drawn or rendered parallax maps( FF VII , saga frontier, etc) so when I test Time Fantasy character sprites in a RTP map I cant get annoyed by that. However I want to know how you guys would feel playing a game using time fantasy characters with higher resolution maps that uses the RTP, fantastic buildings, etc.

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It would look terrible in my opinion. Please, don't do that.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Redo them in spriter pro or downscale your RTP styled maps. otherwise don't mix the two styles!

GuanyuMaker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you guys feels the same about music and interfaces?

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you have the skill, design your gui with paint dot net or gimp. There are libraries of free for commercial use music and sound effects if you exercise your google-fu skills. I write my own music and have a library of sound effects already as well design my interfaces so i don't think too much about it...

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Honestly it would be pretty hard to do, but its not impossible. The only example I can really think of where it works is World of Final Fantasy, and it only works because the chibi and not-chibi art styles are tied into gameplay.

GuanyuMaker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Was trying to keep the discussion in general due to what forum category I posted it but will share what i found so far in my testings for my own project. I really cant work with TF for interiors it lacks of objects and the texture for the ground and walls seems like a even lower resolution than characters and objects.

In other hand the disparity beteween TF characters and RTP maps while it jumps to the eyes It dosent look to annoy me as much as the right tilesets are doing. (Starting to think that I need glasses )

Asked about music and interfaces due to curiosity. I remember playing chrono trigger for the first time and feeling that its font and window skin was a bit out of place but got used to it fast. Going music wise it's a win situation as you can work with midi and dont need to be that talented to compose something of medium quality =) .

As I was worried TF goes heavly on nostalgia and cant really be used out of that scope. While I like it for that is not what I was planning to go for now and chibi isnt my thing at all. Anyway guys thanks for your replys. I shouldnt be extending anymore here as I went really out of forum category right now and should discuss further only on project ideas or resources.

BigWhoop

Whoop Big
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will say that I have toyed around with the idea of using conflicting styles. I think the only time it can be done is with two conditions:

1. You go ALL IN. Mixed styles out the wazoo. Make it a total glorious eyesore.
2. It is VERY light-hearted. No serious tales of death, betrayal, vengeance and what have you. It will have to be very goofy, and probably rather short. The novelty of it has a high chance of burning out the longer you go, unless you have a ton of assets to mix, and it's a good game besides the art.

So, if you read other threads, people say to make short games, to learn the program or test out skills. Those short games are the ideal, if not only time, to mix art styles wildly.

(As for music, I think there's more leeway there, this is just about visual art).

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

And the beginning of a nearly complete grid system dawns.

I want to add a thin pixel border around the entire region. Like across all blue highlights that connect and red attack highlights that connect.
Ami
--- Remake ---

Hero: Hey,look! Some Artist will Remake us to 3D!
M.Knight: Really? Then i hope they make me so Cool & Handsome
Heroine: I hope they make me Cute & Sexy,too
(6 Months Later,The 3D Model Are Revealed With Unexpected Yet Horrible Model)
Hero: (Spit The Water)
M.Knight: What the Hell?!
Heroine: I'm Dissapointed...
my battle system is REALLY coming together. I can already see strategies between 2 of my party members forming lol. helps that battles are 2 at a time. but the combo of these two is really fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sokul2