March Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Feb 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good luck everyone!

I'm gonna jump back into this, though my goal for the month is game-adjacent. I've got a bunch of little hints and tips for eventing all scattered through my projects, and it's gotten to the point I don't even know what I have hidden away. So this month I want to go through my projects and write down all those tips down in one place so that I can actually use them. If I manage to get that taken care of, then my stretch goal would be to do some rough planning for a longer version of my Reincarnation Assistant game. :)

Shaz, Marquise*, Chiara and 2 others like this.
  2. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For march I want to finish mapping the castle I'm currently making and rework on the plot to correct one or two things that finally seem a bit off to me.
    But first of all, I have to get on track again, as it has been a while I hadn't worked on Galiyuka.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Pix3M I like your descriptions.
    @EthanFox Your video reminded me of all the reasons why I don't watch anime. Nice touch on the clichés.
    @Marquise* Nice sketch. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed version.
    @Chiara Great that posting prompts creativity. Sometimes all we need to do is to externalise the issue, and a solution pops up seemingly from nowhere.
    @bgillisp 296 pages. Hmm. I don't know how I'd keep track of something that big. I think the most I've ever had is 120 pages. Is it image heavy? e.g. annotated maps?
    @Lars Ulrika Nice to see you back, and good luck picking up again.

My update:
    I had to attend a work-related conference over the weekend which took up all my free time. However, I have managed to do a bit of mapping, so I'm inching my way along one of my goals.

Chiara likes this.
  4. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    As for myself, I'm thinking of Asguaard's at 183 pages and Laxius Force III's at 173. Still, 296 is A LOT. Must be very detailed.

Since I'm here, might as well give my update:
    Got quite some big inspiration yesterday, so did some mapping, plot writing etc. I generally have a pretty chaotic approach but it was productive chaotic. B):rock-right:

Shaz and Kes like this.
  5. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Goal: Make a MV demo for the 29 birthday bash event...cause I was gonna do one anyway. And I want a badge all of a sudden. I just noticed I have no badges. I want one. :LZScheeze:

6. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    0.8.3 and I have entered the plan-ahead phase for global release. This is going to require a switch to flat rate costs in places that are traditionally based on crew rank due to the use of plugin software so I plan to compensate for this by pricing the service fees and tithes by severity of the requirements. This is also going to require a separation of script from scene so it's probably going to be awhile before I have another milestone, plus I am probably going to have to duplicate a plugin to show cash count in addition to coin count for use in the game centre (UPDATE: No longer necessary so long as the definitions are split to account for this limitation).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  7. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Kes this is the final version. For quality purpose can you point me out the sketching lines so I can remove those that had escaped me?

8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes : It's pretty detailed, and image heavy. And there are sections for the mini-games, what you can win from them, and so on.

3.5 Update:
    -Strategy guide is now complete for Chapters 1 - 8. Now I just need to finish the optional dungeons section for Chapter 9 and it will be done for the plot. From there I will just need to decide how detailed the optional stuff is going to be, right now the optional bosses and side quest section is what I need to finish there. Probably doable over the weekend
    -Tester has gotten an ending in the game too, though they had trouble with the last two bosses as I had them balanced around the ultimate equipment and not the usual equipment (oops). They sent me their save so I'm going to use that to tweak the numbers some as now I can see what numbers a player will have and go from there.

TriceratopsX and Marquise* like this.
  9. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, at the end of 'tonight', I'll likely be getting rid of my old maps. I've gathered the events I want from them and placed them on the new, hopefully better made and looking maps.

Next will be merging dungeon and interior from the original area.

Marquise* likes this.
  10. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    More related to follow-up material than anything, but I've been thinking of what the next project will bring ever since I realized that my new game plus wasn't going to fit as I was originally intending it to be. This also came with a rewrite to where the first crew member for the second outing is forced to account for a case of the classic "classroom bully" situation, which (should you be willing to stick around for the post-credit surprise) is to be expected for heritage reasons and the biologic result thereof. As this is also planned to be the first boss battle (while also providing the gameplay introduction material) and she doesn't even get a chance to even get outta there before all hell breaks loose I've been considering the nature of trophies/achievements for what's next. Something along the lines of "schooled" comes to mind, as does "schoolhouse rocked" (extra +1 for anyone who gets the reference).

As for the active project, I have officially begun the work of shifting the game script processing as I previously mentioned so that it will be interpreted from JSON data instead of being hard-coded (as it will make localization easier) which is obviously going to require significant time for completion.

Marquise* likes this.
  11. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Marquise* likes this.
  12. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Some very nice goals, good luck all!

Seeing everyone else start working on their games again, makes me wanna join in. Work’s calmed down (a bit), so I think I might actually have time (and motivation?) this month to work on my games. (And the Release Something Event is another great incentive :D) I’ll start simple though, as my goal for this month is to playthrough my game and see what it still needs/needs to be fixed.

(But first I gotta finish Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds damnit.)

Shaz, Chiara and Marquise* like this.
  13. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks like I just ran into a rather... interesting issue with the localization process. In my definitions I have Purifine, Vimixia and Phoenixene as the generic names for their respective prescriptions (Purifene for poison, Vimixia as a catch-all and Phoenixene for knockouts). The catch is that the first two are easy to localize by substituting a trade name, however the Phoenixene is going to be a rather tricky prospect due to established associations and an effective shortage of alternative options (which I don't want to go overboard with for obvious reasons, but I'm also not a legal practitioner so don't quote me on this).

Marquise* likes this.
  14. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been working on a new story for an RPG Maker game, and I'm hoping to get the story finished by the end of this month, if it's possible. That's my main goal for March.

Suddenly yesterday I finally got a bunch of good ideas where I had recently hit writer's block, so I'm glad about that. Everything is always everywhere for me, but it does come together in the end, so I'm expecting this story will as well.

Marquise* likes this.
  15. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A stretch goal for the month that I am working on (and haven't yet mentioned) is to have a suitable project introduction video for media release, Kickstarter etc. I have a rough draft that's already been done; however for sentimental reasons (and potential set design conflicts) it may be re-recorded at some point.

Marquise* likes this.
  16. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Today penciled cats heads really fast for special request that didn't took long (but will be to format in Photoshop)

@Kes *phew* I really was scared for a bit. BTW, @Matseb will be on color I learned him the coloring under multiply level and recolor in lighten on linetop ^^ (and keep the original under it) XD

17. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mapping for part 1 is almost finished:D after that it's just a few cutscenes some puzzles and a lot of NPC creation for the non-combat side of things

Marquise* likes this.
  18. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @BreakerZero I think 3 updates in one day is a bit over the top. Please keep them to one a day so that this thread stays manageable.
    Thanks.

19. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Working on the effects of my game's secret weapons, and I decided one of them hastens the user's action speed..

I ended up adding something to the script to do this only to realize my script actually already allow such feature, so I ended up removing the codes I added..

But due to this, I realized that my code for speed calculation has a problem: the speed reduction effect of agility wasn't applied correctly to skills that use the custom speed tag that I placed to allow them to bypass the speed limit in the database (the database entry can only go from -2000 to 2000 while I use values going to 10K+ because I found bigger values easier to balance and manipulate for my custom battle system).. I found out that my code was applying the custom speed value after the agility effect has been applied already. Since I don't want that kind of behavior, I fixed it. XD

TriceratopsX and Marquise* like this.
  20. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Progress... When since has it been?