Bonkers

Bioware, do you need a nap?
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fixed a host of issues and have gotten a nice effect for the player when opening chests similar to older rpgs where people raise everything over their heads.

Completely redid the ship maps and scenes so things look more spacious now.
Got the behaviors to transition smoother, and am working to make them completely fluid. Trying to add as much life into scenes as I can with varied behaviors.

I'll be making sprite sheets for the items and equipment now to accommodate the new chest effect.

TheGreatEater

Coding is my dump stat.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So last month was a bit of a mess. But I finally got the chara. models made and working on hiring riggers (since I'm autistic and don't get facial expressions. Me trying to rig a working face automatically brings for the thought "wow ... faces don't work that way.")

But yeah. Slowly but surely making progress. And saving things every step of the way. That said, my new lappy is awesome ^_^!

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So last month was a bit of a mess. But I finally got the chara. models made and working on hiring riggers (since I'm autistic and don't get facial expressions. Me trying to rig a working face automatically brings for the thought "wow ... faces don't work that way.")

But yeah. Slowly but surely making progress. And saving things every step of the way. That said, my new lappy is awesome ^_^!
Holy (beep)... you just hit the nail on the head in terms of what inspired my own project. Granted I am using the RTP face/character generator for simplicity (and also the excellent standalone alternative for more extensive designs) but I can see how it can be difficult to approach certain things myself considering that much of what I have done in my own work to date is based on experience for all of the same reasons. Hell, it's even in the (beep)ing game title for my project. I may end up having to send a PM later on if you are interested in providing additional perspective and possibly for material verification, added perspectives, play testing and/or general plot ideas to fit in with the scope of what I'm going for on my end.

Bonkers

Bioware, do you need a nap?
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Trying to get a handle on new sprites.

I've gotten a decent town together.

Tomorrow will be more mapping and then getting the stats for enemies transferred into battlers, and the first dungeon working along with it's puzzles.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finished part 1 on time (yay!) and I've gotten 4/8 Goblin villagers made too (double yay!) All in all everything is going well :D

(I meant to post this yesterday but meh :p)

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Sorry everyone last Thursday was my extermination day and... yeah kitties and me sleeping elsewhere and... well lotsa RL thingies I might get back this week to do something. ^^

But I like what I am seeing so far here. @Bonkers seems to have the very best lettering for the type of game he is doing. It reinforce the ambiance and the busts are cool too.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
0.8.8 and a major discovery. After checking on plugin-related matters off a hunch I discovered that someone ran into an issue with interpretation problems caused by MV 1.6 that forced a rollback; however, what the guy also mentioned was that his decision to go with 1.5.2 was prompted by what I ultimately "stack-traced" to login processing relative to the API for which the plugin was built. Turns out that the plugin had a feature implementation for the login process that MV doesn't recognize from 1.6 onward, and seeing the lack of availability of the plugin creator and now knowing what the probable bottleneck was I decided to personally fork the plugin and remove the offending functionality as a minor version update. (And speaking of bugfix jobs, I have also settled on a workaround for my issue with the situation soundtrack.)

Rabosion

Retro Pixlr
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I wish I had read up on the thread sooner, I see lots of cool stuff and much progress this month! Keep up the good work everyone!

So not much has happened to me, I recovered more after my surgery last month. And now, I slowly started to draw a new 8bit tileset. Here is a sneak peak. I drew my version of Sonic as a placeholder character. And surprisingly it fits pretty well imo. I hope I can stay true to the NES colour limitations.

IMG_20190319_092248.png

Last edited:

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
:headshake: *sigh* Just after finishing part 1 I came up some ideas that'd require me to add a prologue section, although I think giving the Player some context (and more foreshadowing) about what's going on will make my game better, it's just... I really was trying not to add stuff before I finished it

Rabosion

Retro Pixlr
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you @TheoAllen ! I don't use that version, I use VxAce and MV though. I made the sprites with the NES limitations (so combining 8x8 tiles) in mind. That way, I try to create a versatile tileset suitable for multiple RM makers. :rhappy:

@TriceratopsX perhaps write your ideas down so that, when you've finished everything, you can reflect on adding your ideas again. :awink:

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've managed to get a mapping demo out for our RM birthday event, so I can go back to working on a demo of Phobos! Oh noes... How am I ever going to explain a western town on the moon, and flying pigs?!
2019-03-19T07-11-27-132Z.jpeg

Torisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of my major goals for this month is to complete my main SV characters sprite sheet. Then I'll continue with the datebase depending on how much time I have to work on it.

Chiara

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Bonkers : It sounds like you're progressing really well, and I do like everything that makes getting loot even more fun (the getting items animation looks great). I also spotted a pun, those are always good.
@TheoAllen : Those projectile things look fun!
@TheGreatEater : As someone else with a differently wired brain (adhd in my case as far as I know) I feel you on the facial expression thing, I don't understand those intuitively either (makes drawing them always a challenge with lots of facial muscle exercise on my part xD). Lots of good luck with hiring someone for that!
@TriceratopsX : This is so relatable. Though in my case it usually ends with me cutting sections completely to streamline things so I don't really know which one's the preferrable scenario. xD

The past ... ten days? Two weeks? It was mostly a mix of being unfocused, bad time management, and there's this Eurasian magpie couple building their nest on a tree right outside my window, they're super adorable and working so hard, it's impossible for me to stay productive when I see them.
Also, I found that my goals are too... vague, sort of, which gives me too many options, which I really don't like. I should probably try to go back to weekly goals...?

Progress until the 19th:
  • collected reference material for rooms and characters
  • some adjustments to Ned's design (...nedjustments)
  • got a bit more organized: no more stacks of paper burying me whenever I try to get something done, I migrated to a neat A5 notebook for this
  • got some useful character design feedback from a friend of mine
  • lots of minor world building and character backstory thoughts
Progress on the 19th:
  • because of aforementioned 'too many options' problem, I decided on my next three steps and broke down the first of them into several tiny mini steps. My first step is the greyscale placeholder tileset
  • as one of the first tiny mini steps I completed, I looked back at how I went about it the last time I had to and adjusted the rest of my tiny mini steps accordingly
The next of my tiny mini steps would be quick studies of all my collected reference material -- my visual memory is blurry at best, I need to draw and understand shapes to remember them. I can also do some of the tinier mini steps on the side and still feel like progressing. Let's see if this approach works for me now.

And before I forget, I put the updated Ned and a selection of other characters in the following spoiler:

None of these designs are final. Aaron and Erika will be mentioned on the critical path, but are among the NPCs the player can call if they want.
Faye is Ned's best friend, team partner at work, and flatmate, and the first one to not give him a break with her request.
Zal I have aptly nicknamed 'troublemaker girl'. To her, Ned is the big brother she always wanted.
Fyir won't be making an appearance until the end. He really wants to be friends with Ned but has failed at it so far and part of it is because Ned himself is bad at communicating.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
After not being able to post here for a couple of weeks, there's no way I can comment on all the progress except
@Chiara I love the character art in your last post - especially the knickerbockers! Well done.
@TheoAllen When you put all your info on a twitter and post that, I am unable to see it at all.
Possibly I'm not the only one who uses adblockers and tracking protection.
upload_2019-3-20_19-20-19.png

My update
I've only had a few minutes here, a few minutes there, no sustained time, so progress has been slow as I've not been able to build up momentum. But some progress.
  • I have finished all the main features on the maps for this location. I still have to do all the decoration, tweaks etc.
  • Making progress on the battle system. I keep finding game crashing bugs. All have been sorted so far, but it slows things down and means that I haven't even begun the necessary stat rebalancing.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes we use uBlock Origin here along with a hard blocking of certain netorious ip addresses through the windows hosts file. So, you are not the only one that actively blocks the overuse of advertisements all over the web. Though it is hilarious to see videos fail to display advertisements :)

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the next update of my game, I plan on introducing a new quest type called Special Missions. These will appear randomly after clearing other quests and feature unique scenarios and challenges for the player to overcome. Once cleared, the mission will disappear until summoned again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stuffing three people in a room and thinking they'll study together is so wrong XD I don't get how people do group studies. We just end up gossiping about everything except studying lol
Been parallax mapping nigh all night. :D
2nd character based on the same random inputs
the coffee shop i go to for open mic every friday only has 2 more open mics left and then they're done :'( i'm gonna die!
Everytime someone says Intel "kabylake" I hear either baby lake or ladycake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Commander