March Goals and Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgillisp, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Tags:
  1. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kes I'm sorry to hear that and I think you're the first one to report that you can't load the tweet. As Mrs_Allykat, I also use uBlock origin. Adblock becomes too mainstream and I already dropped it a long time ago. Works fine here.

2. cthulhusquid

cthulhusquid Veteran Veteran

I finally published my first (but in reality, third official) project, The Cube Trail, and am interested in some feedback. I'm trying to prove to myself that I can actually finish a game for once.

Marquise*, Rabosion and atoms like this.
  3. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I had an interesting idea earlier, unfortunately, whether it works or not it won't fit into my current project.
    Basically, I was wondering if it was possible to make something similar to the "Style Change" system from the Megaman Battle Network series without using scripts. (for now, as I have no javascript experience to make it myself)
    to summarize for those unfamiliar with the Style Change or Battle Network series, in the games with Style Changes (2 & 3) the player starts as "normal style" (no weaknesses, strengths or special powers) but, depending on their style of play they would obtain a different style that reflects and compliments their preferred method of fighting. In the BN series, there are 8 different styles with 4 different elements that any style could take (The element that the style takes would determine weaknesses and strengths while the style itself would determine what special powers/abilities the player would get.)
    So I'm going to use today to try and event this in a side-project to give my brain something else to think about for a bit before I return to working on my main-project tomorrow

Rabosion likes this.
  4. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    0.8.9 and planning ahead for some cutscene design shifts. This is going to require a massive rewrite of several lines of dialog outside of the shift to animation in certain sequences (right now it's echo-based and partial mixed case which I have already started to move away from to begin with) but for aesthetic reasons I'd say that doing so will add some extra realism to the instances where I intend to do so. This is already shaping up with my first planned change involving the medic sequence - a key member of the crew laid out and dealing with airway assist with indeterminate prognosis as I have previously written, and yet her extended mental reach gives her a way to drop some important clues before she goes in for the mod job that ends up being the only reasonable way to get her back on the job which she has yet to get done.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I may end up using the assets for this shift for a double purpose as it easily supports use as a base for concept material.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Marquise* and Rabosion like this.
  5. Rabosion

Rabosion Retro Pixlr Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @cthulhusquid Congrats on finishing your game. I'll definitely try it out later!

@TriceratopsX that sounds like an interesting mechanic. I do know that Yanfly made a in- battle transformation like super sayan already. I don't really know how it'd be done without plugins. ( Though, if you want it to happen on the map, I think you can make it happen by changing your actor through events). Best of luck!

I have advanced a bit in my tileset. I think the basics for an outside scenery are pretty much finished, so I added a background from my tiles. Now I need to work more on buildings and stuff. You can see the result (a mockup) below.

I'm not certain if the screenshot's supposed to be in this thread or in the Game+Map Shots Thread, since it looks like a map. But I'll leave it here for now. I think I have respected the NES limitations, so I'm pretty happy. I can imagine my sonic character running in this environment.

(The road up on the left is actually like a floating platform).
    tileset_level.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    TriceratopsX and Marquise* like this.
  6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    3.22 Update:
    -The Strategy guide is DONE! *happy dance*. Now I just need to add some tweaks as suggested by my playtester and do one more playtest run to make sure I didn't break the game and its ready for release.
    -Finished up the skill design for the next game.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    atoms, Bonkers, Chiara and 4 others like this.
  7. cthulhusquid

cthulhusquid Veteran Veteran

It's not actually finished, it's just the demo. Still, it the first time I've published any of my work on this site, which I've been meaning to do for a long time.

Rabosion and Marquise* like this.
  8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Chiara I love your crew so much. I too believe in keeping as references relative head size as it helps to show how in or off norm are the heights of the characters. A wee bit like little peoples basically seeming to have bigger head on a smaller body or a giant seeming to have a twiggy shape an even taller. I know it is not always the case but, in one sight we can determine who can fit their jeep or not ^^

Sorry everyone had two excellent days recently -if we forget my bad shape and the bug invasion- , got eating to the maple shack and visit 150 animals on a farm and many exotics. Then got meeting someone to a cat caffee and all cats were all over me after a bit XD and then got supper after my circus juggling class and learned a few tricks to practice outside to busk with. ^^

I wanted to jump onto RPGM visual works or creative deeds but it is taxation times and two other IRL domestic shuffle into the papers and fill forms ignoring how all is placed around to facilitate extermination. :/ But I want to get at it as ASAP.

(BTW DC and MrC came as I typed here and where happy I ceased to be in paperwork and DC gives you the paw and heavy loving purring and peace to all.)

Chiara likes this.
  9. lianderson

lianderson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Added seven new quests, two new building types, and a lot of stability improvements this month.

Next month, I'm gonna improve the procedural dungeon system, introduce optional dungeons for your golem only, and then start work on a new chapter.

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  10. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Redesigned the main menu, but it means I have to pick the pen and start drawing again for each of my characters
    [​IMG]
    me now: :(>_>

11. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Edit: I'm going to edit this to just say today I've rewritten the first 4 scenes of my game and written another 6 scenes for my game, too. That was actually a lot of work.

I've no idea if I've done a good job or not, but I've decided I'll do my best to complete this game either way. Guess I'll find out sometime in the future, but at least I can tell it's an improvement from my last game!

I've also thought further about some mechanics, but this type of game is probably best waiting for me to finish the story outline and all the scenes and dialogue before I finalize any decisions with the mechanics. I need to know more on how I'll map my game and it's progression to know for certainty what may work best.

Also, this game is not the remake to my other game, it's a different game that's a sequel to someone else's previous games. I did get permission and I've having fun with it so far.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  12. TheGreatEater

TheGreatEater Coding is my dump stat. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Chiara in 3 days I'll have both templates rigged. I hired a group to do it, and so far pretty cool progress. But yeah, I'm going to be having loads of reference images ... although I find it odd that so many "different" expressions are so close to one another.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and btw, that is some good art. You really are pretty cool at that stuff ^_^.

Chiara likes this.
  13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    3.23 Update:
    -Made the tweaks as suggested. Now I need to play through one last time and make sure nothing is broken.

Marquise* likes this.
  14. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't usually like playing with the menu and the likes, but this was oddly satisfying.
    [​IMG]

15. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Quite a lot done today. The tutorial dungeon got it's map and traffic flow done. The tutorials were put into the game. The chibi artist was contacted again for the transparent pngs I'll need to illustrate the tutorials, and I have about half the chibis in the format I need. I made a small mushroom icon. I managed to edit in two more pickup poses for the other characters so they could also do puzzles. I made the treasure graphic function from every angle the chest can open, and all call back to a single event. Gave all actors their passives, and new abilities. Separated a class's skill usable and resource management from the artificer's class which uses a unique resource that always starts filled so they can immediately use abilities based on a situation or need.

Next on the to do list: Make sprite sheets for pots and pillars to use them as puzzle elements and not just the Othello blocks. Incorporate the next two dungeon's worth of monsters. Upgrade the actor stats. Make the boss fights fun enough that people may hit a wall, of fun!

@Chiara I am loving those designs. That Zal is a giant compared to the rest. It's wonderful to see PoC in games. You should collect all those little thoughts for the world and characters and have a separate journal/codex section just for lore. That way you can have it without derailing anything and allow people to learn more at their own pace.
    Thank you, it's a small particle effect.

@Marquise* Yea, I got mine done first thing this year. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself though, it's nice to get away from the glowing screen for some recreation.

@TheoAllen Are you drawing their design directly from the sprites, or where the sprites made from your designs? I really like that nature girl and the sword's man. They are all very cute.

@BreakerZero There are plenty of free music resources if you are still looking for pieces, I can recommend a few sites and people if you like that have posted collections.

@triceratops I've had similar scenes, and it was mostly due to giving the player some knowledge of what happened previous to the current story. How long is your introduction/prologue?

@Kes I was in that situation when I first started back on the game dev track. I have managed to get oriented, and I hope you can as well.

@bgillisp Congrats! Will you be showing screen shots or putting up a thread for the game?

Marquise*, atoms and Chiara like this.
  16. TheoAllen

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is a long story. At first, it was from Kaduki battlers recolored, then I wanted to be more original, so I drew the char, then fix the sprites to match with the new design while keeping the original Kaduki's sprite gimmicks. Then, since the original design was kinda lackluster, it got redesigned that nowadays it doesn't really match with the sprites. The color scheme is still the same though so that you could still tell who is who. To answer that question, both are true.

Thanks! Those two are also my fave lol.

atoms likes this.
  17. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TheoAllen Wow, really well done on the drawings! I like how they all turned out and look in your menu. I also like the nature girl, but the magic girl as well are my two favourites.

Marquise* likes this.
  18. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    0.8.10 and not a lot of milestones this month (but not for lack of trying, and I did start the month off an incident where I accidentally managed to Earthbound myself) but I have officially settled on a structure for my background information trailer which has been linked herein (barring any objections, of course).

As a side note, any future previews will follow standard color codes. If the content is generally benign in structure and tone it will start with a green, "all audiences" notice. This also means that a "red band advisory" will be posted for anything even remotely approaching upper-class content. That doesn't mean that I'm headed into f-bomb territory with my project, but if anything from the words and interactions for a specific preview may be stronger than others you'll know exactly what to expect. Obviously this will continue until release so that in the event I should peg down the requirements necessary to attest my work to a more professional content evaluation (read: ESRB, PEGI etc.) I'll be more than prepared from a content-standard perspective of information delivery.

EDIT: In case you're wondering, "Hall of the Mountain King" being split like that was entirely, 100% my idea.

EDIT 2: Trailer redacted until further notice. The European Rights Reform (and this is not intended to be a political statement) is going to force a content review in order to see that item names, gameplay elements and other potential intrusions upon the new rules are removed and/or rewritten in order to accommodate the minimal effect regarding any possible conflicts. The new release date will likely not occur until early to middle of 2020 for which I must apologize - nobody likes a setback this big, however I fully intend to ensure that I don't go overboard with this for the obvious reasons thereof. As a side note, this will result in the deprecation of planned legacy systems support (which is primarily because of the Windows 7 "drop dead" support allowance deadline for which I unfortunately cannot guarantee that I will be able to get the game out in time) meaning that system requirements will also be impacted upon release.

EDIT 3: I am also creating a launcher app to make sure that the game is being run on a platform that has active support (read: Windows 8/10) and to display an error and close if detection fails.

EDIT 4: I will also be checking around to see if there's anyone willing to cross-check my concepts and content to be sure that I don't go overboard in this department. Can't provide an incentive to do so other than QA/tester credit but I will be posting a formal notice going into the new month.

EDIT 5: Forgot to mention but the launcher app is done. To avoid potential issues with my Steam profile for this project (specifically the controller support flag) the error message has been implemented as a notification app specific to verification failure conditions (which itself uses MV for the purpose of a consistency profile).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Marquise* and atoms like this.
  19. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since I've changed my mind and ideas a few times, from my March goal, I am no longer planning to meet it, as I'm now working on the new project entirely now, that I mentioned in the post above here last Sunday.

I'm just aiming to do as much as I can on this project's planning by the end of this month, and then will set a new proper goal next month.
    But this is going well. I was able to write another new scene today, and I've new ideas for new main characters and some of the main villains.

I want to add some important NPC's that can be important to the story, and if possible recurring. Maybe about three of them, so that will happen soon. I think is quite an interesting idea to do this for this game. It just seems a good idea. So I think I'll be able to do that soon.

I've also started to plan out ideas for some side-quests and backtracking features, but I must keep trying to make sure they are actually fun and not tedious.

I'm planning for 8 playable characters and 5 maximum in battles. I may change that to just 5, depending what seems to work better as I keep progressing.

Right now though, the top focus is on finishing the story outlines, scenes and dialogue. I've still got some blank scenes that need filling up with something, and I'll probably rewrite more things later too.

Mostly been a week and a half of brainstorming ideas, implementing them and testing them out, but that's my update. I'll try and get one more update posted on the 31st if I have time to do so.

This game is still very early in works, but it's one I've been sticking with for about a week and a half now and I'm determined to finish this one and be the first new game I make now.

I hope with the goal I plan to set next month I can make a huge amount of good progress by the end of April. We'll see how that goes.

But, no matter what, this is really going somewhere for me, so I'm happy with the results so far.

Marquise* likes this.
  20. Kokoro Hane

Kokoro Hane Overly Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well most of my March goals are set with visual novels (I already met one goal, releasing a VN that has been sitting in beta forever lol), but I DO have some RPG Maker related stuff going on.

I finally began work on the sequel to my first released RPG Maker game. My goal before this month ends is to have all the scripts for ACT 1 sent out to my voice actors (those whom are reprising their role). Next month I will probably be looking for VAs for all the new characters.

atoms, Marquise* and Ryisunique like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.