March Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara - The idea of a cartoon Eve was too good to pass up.  :guffaw:   Switching between projects can work, as long as you're not like me (who usually never makes progress on the games before switching to something else).

[​IMG]

@ksjp17 - I like the stall, and bet the other variations look good too.

@bgillisp - Good luck with your bug squashing and mapping tomorrow.  Instead of a 15 hour workday, you'll have a 15 hour RM day, right?  ;)

@Candacis - Yay for making tiles!  I'm awful at making nature tiles, so I look forward to seeing what you've made. 

@slimmmeiske2 - That list is impressive, and I bet it's going to be useful for a lot of people.

I made a little progress on the opening cutscene today, and then I realized that I need to either make a few more sprites or have a very lonely game with just Eve, Jeeves, and farmer Bob.  So I'm going to work on sprites over the next few days (and hopefully make all of them that I'll need).

mlogan, VideoWizard, Kes and 4 others like this.
  2. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    March 17, 2015: Had things to do yesterday, so I actually didn't do progress; I tried, but due to being uninspired (due to having things), I didn't get occurred what to do next, haha. I was around the forums though, and today did some progress, though I'll have to hurry up because I've set a deadline for the cinematic scenes; my best friend will be coming to Puerto Rico in the next Sunday, so I have been occurred to show the cinematic scenes to him when he comes to our house. Although it may be 1 or 2 days before he come to our house, I must make sure to have it in that date just in case. So that means that I have to substantially increase my workload from the rhythm I am going now xD. Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot for the progress since I've been working on route moves :/

3. VideoWizard

VideoWizard Dragon Kingdoms Series producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Tue 3.17.15- Got quite a bit of mapping done for the Lakeside Cliffs area, mainly north and east of the broken bridge. I think once I reach the overlook where the next character and his friend await, I'll start doing events and maybe add monsters, too. I'm thinking I can do that by Friday or Saturday because there are only two maps now before that point.

mlogan and Marsigne like this.
  4. imascribble

imascribble The Dinosaur Lady Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow, I totally forgot about posting here. Whoops! :/

I did approx. 30 hours at work over the weekend alone, so I haven't had a chance to do much on my game :(

Update for the last couple days: - Practiced working on shift-click mapping and did a tutorial on parrallax mapping

- Got "normal" faces for my characters done, currently working on expressions for them

- Worked on my weapon database

- Compiled some tiles to use for a dungeon map

- Messed around with some scripts for my events and whatnot

- Started building a mental image of my title screen so I can finally ask my friend to do it for me (he's been asking for a month :p )

mlogan, Marsigne and Kes like this.
  5. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Leila: I only just now see your edit, regarding Runeville. Sounds pretty logical all so far.
    @Chiara: Those screenshots look really nice. I'm just wondering why someone would sleep on the ground in such a nice house (or is it no a house?)
    @ksjp: Nice stall. Must have taken some time to get them all done.
    @bgillisp: Totally counts. ^^ I've got yours downloaded as well.
    @Candacis: They're looking good. ^^
    @hiddenone: Here's hoping it will. ^^ Looking forward to some peeks at those sprites then :D

I've actually mapped the indoors I "made" yesterday. In total that's 13 maps, but as always I start to notice I need to add more tiles to the tileset, so some have random placeholder tiles in the middle of a room :p I'm most proud of an indoor map that connects two houses, which seem seperate from the outside, but are not. The couple living there doesn't want their family and friends to find out about their housemate.
    I also went through several Japanese sites for my fairy tale resources list. Took me 40 minutes to get through Chocolate Mint Tree, so I quite for the day when CLOSET was next.

hiddenone, Chiara, Marsigne and 2 others like this.
  6. CrazyCrab

CrazyCrab Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Eh, so tired, but I had to finally do it, otherwise my game just straight up didn't work.

I've implemented a system where each day the game checks for switches (such as too much pollution) and conditions and then randomly gives you events, depending on how bad the situation is. I've only got 9 so far, but eh they each have a pile of options to choose from - what will you do with the mutated food that grew legs and is running around? Eat it anyway, study it, set it free? Will you kill the foreign thieves, just forgive them or ask them to teach you their ways? A lot of options, a lot of text, phew. Also, finally there are consequences to treating everyone like a complete idiot. There should always be some.

At least now that the massive common event is up and running I can add events really easily - I'm not repeating my past mistakes, make everything a common event, make everything a switch or a variable. Much, much easier this way instead of copy pasting and then changing same thing 300 times. 

Don't copy and paste, guys. It cost me so many projects and I've finally wizened up. 

Anyway, tired and my eyes hurt, but I'm so glad I have that out of the way.

Next step: More events, polish up the classes, finalize the permadeath. Afterwards comes the fun part - foreigners, questing, dungeons.

Then just more and more stuff till my project explodes from the sheer amount of content. Can't wait.

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have run out of time today, so although I've read everyone's posts, I don't have time to comment on them individually.  So a general round of applause for the amount of progress that people are making.

My update - I realised that I'd forgotten to do a bakery stall, so I made one of those, and carried on mapping the section I started yesterday? the day before? I've lost track.  These buildings take a long time to do each one, and I had to make stables for the cheaper Inn, which added to my slowness.  Did event a humorous (I hope) little sequence, just to vary the work a bit.  Still searching for clock gears and other parts.  I'd also like to find a hide stretched out on a rack, then I could have a small tannery as part of a boots and shoes shop.  I don't think I've got time to look though, so I may have to drop that idea. 

8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    3.18 Update: So I still had to work one job today, so had the other half of the day to work on the game. The Riverdale map is about to the ready to post it point, though I ended up with some dead space on the south side and a couple ideas on how to fix it. Going to let that stew for a day or two. Also was about to post version 1.01 of the demo, but caught a crash bug on the first map when I was 2 seconds away from hitting submit. Ugh. Took a break from that to play a game to wrap up the evening.

9. Marsigne

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @bgillisp - Woah, that was so close for me to smack you! lol jk xD nice catch, I wonder how you spotted it if you were 2 seconds away from posting it o_O

March 18, 2015: Did some progress and got a screenshot, yay xD I'm positive that I'm going to finish the cinematic scenes before the deadline :D (finally meeting a deadline LOL) though I'm going for the second round now (Raxel with Michael), and I have to make it more epic, so that means that have to put more time and work, and more move routes xD and if I want to meet the deadline, that means more developing and less other things like lurking around xD

[​IMG]

What the screenshot means: Ugh, I need someone to help me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
    Susan, mlogan and VideoWizard like this.
  10. VideoWizard

VideoWizard Dragon Kingdoms Series producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wed 3.18.15- Now at only one map before the overlook map. And there's still one off the beaten path that can be done whenever I tire of eventing. Plus, it's not like that's the only location. The traveler, Thomas, camping at the overlook is from Renzan Town, which is an entire another area, and William is from a place even beyond that. As for my time, it seems I'm up to two hours now making the game each day, probably from anticipation.

Considering that before I started this on the 4th, my time on the game was almost non-existent, that says something. Plus seeing and hearing what people are working on helps, too.

11. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sooo many people. This I get for skipping posting for one day. D: ; ) I'm still tired, though, so I hope I don't forget anyone.

@CrazyCrab: I'm always fascinated reading your updates. So many systems! Do you event them all? *takes notes regarding the common event thing* ; )
    @VideoWizard: From around 0h to 2h per day in only about two weeks, then?
    And nice progress!
    @ksjp17: Yeah, I like it too (regarding the quest journal script). It even allows me to use it as a notebook and many fun other things I'm just finding out. <3
    Isn't a tannery a place where strong odours occur as part of the process (can't describe it better, sorry)? I wouldn't put it close to everything else, then. ^^"
    @bgillisp: I like the sound of the word "Riverdale". Evokes quite interesting images in my mind.
    And good thing you noticed the bug before you submitted it. Sounds like this bug crept up on you?
    @Candacis: Sounds like great progress. : )
    @slimmmeiske2: What a list! Can't imagine how much work that must have been. *bookmarks the list*
    Regarding your post after that:
    Thanks. : ) Yes, there's a reason. Yarad (the white-haired guy) prefers to stay up late to study his books and because him strolling around the palazzo at the dead of night would've been too much of a security risk (him being aspirant to the throne and all that), his bodyguard (Kin) made a snarky remark regarding simply sleeping in his study. Which Yarad did. Quite happily, I must add.
    Yay for placeholders (they save time)! That connecting indoor map sounds interesting. As a player, I love such things. <3
    @hiddenone: I've seen it yesterday already, but I still have to laugh every time I see it, little Eve and the box. x) I'm slowly beginning to wonder, though: Does the player ever see Jeeves? : P
    ("Eve" and "Jeeves" – if I don't mispronounce things, they sound alike. Are the two related?)
    @imascribble: So much progress, so: Yay!
    @Marsigne: Nothing better than (external) deadlines to keep one productive, right? : D
    Move routes. My nemesis. Good luck subdueing these beasties. ; )
    ___
    I took a huge hit to my sanity a few days ago and could barely work on anything at all, instead played did research on my favourite game of all time (Might&Magic VII). Since some of its systems inspired Yarad's gameplay in the first place back in 2013, it counts as progress, right?
    But really. German bureaucracy. If it didn't mess up my life and the lives of so many others so much, it'd almost be hilarious.
    Yesterday I did a tiny bit of progress by talking to a friend about a bit of Island Crawler's gameplay. I got some advice (he's specialized in game design and level design) on balancing and hope that my math-averse brain can hold in all that information. But talking about it really helped with regaining a bit of my motivation.

12. CrazyCrab

CrazyCrab Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Yeah, I just find it easier to do then mess around with scripts   ;) . I do have a highly mathematical background though so solving problems efficiently without any fancy tools is like a hobby of mine. Pretty much the only scripts I have are lighting, ''use item on event'', more self switches and better message boxes. Everything else is just a pile of variables and common events. Heh, the whole building system is evented, aka building stuff on the world map using ''production'' and resources. Use blueprints, build stuff. Then you the stuff, like shops and farms etc. The first time I did it I was very stupid and used copy pasting instead of common events, which meant changing 40 event pages every time I wanted to add a new building spot. Now it's just copy paste the partent event. Boom! Done. 

Anyway, off to a good start today. Got around to finalizing items, choosing icons, adding descriptions, and make a massive message box for what you produced today! Looks pretty decent I think, shows you both the total and what you made today. Some icons are placeholders.

[​IMG]

And now a special ''behind the scenes'' ;)

[​IMG]

The daily message is composed of 6 other common events, which all happen before the player is told what happened. It calculated all the resources made, food produced, the happiness, unrest, pollution, event chances, new citizen chances and a pile of other stuff. Took me a while to perfect but it works just fine now. :)

Most of the variables there are placeholders as there aren't any legitimate ways to obtain those resources yet, I'll just changes the formulas as I go. Gotta add the research options for more mines and stuff 1st.
    @ksjp17 Humorous sequences are always good, unless youre making a horror game ;) Also, doesn't avery have some clock parts? If they're too big you could try re-sizing them, worked for me when making technology icons. 

@Marsigne Hmm, always been a fun of lava-based maps. Did you consider adding some ''warm'' tint to it though? The character stands out a bit as the colors are unchanged. 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  13. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @imascribble - Shift-click mapping is probably one of the best things I learned to do for mapping.  Once you've got it down your maps are going to look better and better.  :)

@slimmmeiske2 - Oooh, is it a secret tunnel or passageway that connects the houses?  I love those.

@CrazyCrab - Your systems sound pretty awesome, and it's so cool that you're eventing them instead of just using scripts.  I've made the same mistake of copying & pasting events, so I know what you mean.  :headshake:

@Chiara - Yes, the player does see Jeeves.  In fact, he's already shown up in a screenshot, but I forgot to mention it was him.  So, here he is:

[​IMG]

As for the similarity between Eve & Jeeves names, that's just because I'm awful at coming up with names (they're not related).  Jeeves was named first because I thought it just kinda fit.  Then I decided that I should at least have a working title for my game, so I started calling it 'The Eve of Alchemy'.  And then I realized that I should really give the MC a name (instead of just calling her 'lefty'), so I named her Eve.  I didn't even realize how close their names were until I started working on the cutscenes. 

I seem to have misplaced my mind, so I haven't made a lot of cutscene progress.  But I did get a few sprites done, so Eve and Jeeves now has some friends who come visit.  I also made some behavior sprites that will (hopefully) be used in a cutscene.

[​IMG]

Bukarett, Susan, imascribble and 6 others like this.
  14. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @hiddeonone: www.fantasynamegenerators.com It's what I've used to generate names. You can also do a search for male or female baby names, and get some names that way. Only problem with that though might be having to explain to others why baby names aer in your search engine now.

@Chiara: More like I deleted a tileset that was not needed, only to learn I had it in the D set for the first maps tiles. Turns out I wasn't using it, but I did have to go back and delete its entry in the database so it no longer crashed. Otherwise, version 1.01 of the demo would have had a bug that anyone who started a new game would have been unable to proceed due to a missing tileset. Talk about a major oops.

3.19 Update: Finished the Riverdale map, touched up the shops so they aren't super sized, added some dialogue for the houses if you try to enter (yes, there are houses down by the docks on the west side). Once that was done I decided to reorganize my sprites, so I did a lot of copy/paste into GIMP so that I was using up the fill 8 sheets available if it was nota $ sprite. Then had to do a run through to make sure everything was using the new sprite name, thankfully except for Elmwood the towns were quite empty of NPC's at the moment, as Riverdale is the second major town the story takes you to.

Going to be traveling 3.20 - 3.22, so next update will either be what little I do when I get back on 3.22, or for 3.23.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    Chiara, mlogan and Marsigne like this.
  15. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillsips

Bet you're glad you did that last minute check before uploading!

Sounds like you did some very useful tidying up.  Have a good trip.

@Marsigne

If I were surrounded by that much lava, I think I would be asking for help as well.  You seem to have a lot of cut scenes to do all at the same time.  Perhaps you might find it easier to do them as they occur in the line of development, rather than save them all up and do them in a big spurt?

@Video Wizard

yes, seeing what other people do is a great support to getting on with one's own work.  I'm so pleased that you think you're making significant progress.  That is such a boost to one's confidence and motivation.

@Chiara

Yes, research is an integral and essential part of the development process!  And you're right, having someone to talk to, as distinct from just posting, is a huge bonus.  Clarifying processes, procedures and systems is vital, so I'd say that you did some important work there.

@CrazyCrab

Sigh, you make me feel so inadequate.  My systems are simple beyond words compared to what you've been able to conjure up.  I am impressed by what you've been able to do without the use of scripts.  That is a huge, an enormous, a gigantic amount of work, so well done.

@hiddenone

Love those sprites.  Given your propensity to kill off your characters, I do hope you're going to allow this relationship to blossom. 

I've been trying to sort out a script issue.  It looks like I've been trying to make it do something it was never written to do, though the ever wonderful Shaz is going to see if she can add in the functionality I want.  But that took time I could ill afford.  Did a bit of spriting - nothing as elegant as hiddenone, but what I have is a number of properly seated sprites.  When you speak to them, they turn properly, and if you speak to them from behind they do not turn round, revealing that they were standing all the time (as if the player couldn't notice that), so, imo, they look much more natural than simply plonking a sprite on top of a stool or chair.  But they take time.  I've finished the exterior map of this section of the city, and have started the interior maps.  I reckon I'm going to need about 11 or 12 of those.  Too many.  I'm taking too long, and trying to do too much.

CrazyCrab, Chiara, hiddenone and 2 others like this.
  16. imascribble

imascribble The Dinosaur Lady Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @hiddenone: That animation is adorable! ^^

So I somehow hurt my wrist, and the splint makes it really hard to type fast or use a mouse, so it's gonna be a while until I get anything done I'm afraid :/

I did manage to get my facesets for my characters made though, and threw together a quick in-game show-off :p

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Hopefully I'll be able to do more once my wrist heals.

Chiara, Tuxedo Leila, mlogan and 2 others like this.
  17. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys! Sorry for not commenting on all this posts this time around but it's awfully near bedtime and well, you guys have a made a lot of posts!! (Which is completely awesome by the way!)

Even though I didn't post yesterday I have been doing things, getting my "at least an hour" in. Yesterday, I mostly played around with mapping some more. Not work on my game but it's RM work, so I count it. :p

Today I actually dive back into Slimer. I think getting the awesome music really helped. I've been a bit bothered that the Slimer game project has gotten a bit messy - full of extra things from trying out this and that. So today I decided to start fresh. I created a new, RTP-less project and added only the files that I absolutely needed. None of the scripting has been touched yet. I need to go through the things I added and see what needs to be kept, what doesn't and also what could possibly be condensed down to something more simple.

In addition, I did in earnest really start planning out the first level, which will be a tutorial level, and began mapping it. So, yeah, some progress. Yay!

18. SpiralSigil

SpiralSigil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Been trying so hard to finish my capital city, but geez does it get tiring x.x  I'm about 80% done the MAPPING now, but that doesnt even count the npcs, events, and objects that I've had to move from tilesets into spritesheets (Which is an ongoing, as-I-need-certain-things basis.  Still, I'm REALLY liking the results, so in the end its worth it.

Still REALLY need an idea on how to make the Arena though.  Either with the medieval tileset, or with the RTP.  Totally open to suggestions, as besides trying to spruce up the church area, thats my real sticking point.

I will say I *really* like this thread, as its nice to see that everyone is really sticking to their projects on a daily basis.  (Makes me feel bad when I take a day off from tinkering with mine to play dark souls >.> ;) But it also makes me wish this forum had some manner of irc or chat or something.  I always enjoy getting to know forum communities that way :3 

Chiara and Marsigne like this.
  19. Marsigne

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Chiara - Yep :D with deadlines, one get a goal and do more work than one would normally do :) lol, yeah, but if you struggle with simple cinematic scenes, you won't want to look this cinematic scenes's routes moves, LOL. And about the thing if it counts as progress, if it makes you happy and inspire you, then why not? :D
    @CrazyCrab - The problem is that the tints affect the animations and does look kinda odd xD (using a lot of animations in this cinematic scenes so they're important xD) nice system, by the way, it looks awesome :D
    @ksjp17 - Lol - that's not the reason :p (if you were talk off-character (about you, not anything of the characters in the scene), then lol xD) I think you'll understand when you see them, when I release it :p (I thought the screenshots would say enough already? xD) yeah, I do that but the thing is that I do cinematic scenes to show depending on the time (so that's why some cinematic scenes take more priority to others), and this one will be for my best friend to watch, and after this, I'll be working on what I was doing before, but thanks for the advice :)
    @mlogan - That's some nice progress :D yeah, every time the months topics gets larger and larger, and that's awesome :D with this thread and a deadline combined, I'm getting good progress done :D (thread that makes me say: I must at least do something and not left it for another day. And deadline for forcing me to push me and work with the cinematic scenes :) )

March 20, 2015: Finished the scene where Raxel and Michael meets and the conversation of them. It is now at the part that they go up and fight, so 2 parts are left; the final fight and the ending, which would be a conversation :)

[​IMG]

If there's a better translation to what I translate, please tell me so :) (for words like giving the hand and such that I don't know if it's translated correctly. I don't know how I would get a proofreader xD)

What the screenshot means: I want you to give me (maybe: "lend me"?, though both are the same if I don't get wrong, though which would be better?) a hand and help me in a fight, because I can't (should I insert "do it"?) alone.

More screenshots (all conversations aren't convered though):

[​IMG]

What the screenshot means: Yeah, why not!

(What would be the best translation for what I mean?
    - Yes, why not!
    - Yes! why not?)

[​IMG]

What the screenshot means: Ready!

[​IMG]

What the screenshot means: Let's go!

Susan and Chiara like this.
  20. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @CrazyCrab: The massive message looks good. : ) Maybe it'd look even better if the numbers were aligned just as the words are. (just saying)
    But let me just echo what ksjp17 said: I'm impressed. Both by what you can do with events, and what can be done with events alone. Makes me want to try even harder. : )
    @hiddenone: Oh, there he is. Hi Jeeves! About that book... (x") Couldn't resist)
    Love the story of how Eve got her name. xD
    And the sprites are just way too cute. They even blush differently. So much personality in only a few pixels. <3
    @bgillisp: Wait, so the game crashes if there is a tileset in a tab and deleted, even if it's not used? o__o *takes notes to be more careful* I didn't know that.
    Organizing sounds helpful, *takes notes again*.
    @ksjp17: Simply using placeholders with notes on them for what they stand-in doesn't help with speed? They can always be replaced during a polishing pass, as I once mentioned. : ) (the browser game I mentioned before? I even pushed the team to launch with ugly placeholders for non-gameplay related graphics so I could focus on the essential ones until the slightly miss-communicated deadline. And I was but a lowly intern)

But your last sentence sounds so unhappy (can't find the right word), so extra motivation to you!

@imascribble: Hope your wrist gets well soon! D:
    That grin is contagious. x)
    @mlogan: Reading "dive" and "slime" in one sentence had my brain picture your avatar jumping off a springboard into a giant bowl of jelly/jello. Very cute jelly/jello (dict.cc tells me that British and American English want different last letters x__x).
    And yay for progress! I noticed yesterday how good it is for motivation once the project is less messy. : D
    @SpiralSigil: See it this way: You only have 20% of mapping in front of you! Yay!
    And you can always call playing "doing research". : D (I've heard that Dark Souls has pretty great Environment Design and ways of incorporating lore into everything. This definitely are helpful things to research : D)
    @Marsigne: Eek, that sounds as if you had the most complicated move route magic, ever! D: ; )
    ___
    Yesterday I:

• cleaned up the project for Island Crawler (deleting maps, common events, etc. I don't need anymore – of course only after I copied the old project folder somewhere safe, in case I happen to need something I deleted lateron) and experienced a huge boost in motivation
    • remade a few Common Events to be less confusing (already profited from playing around with Yarad, since I had some events remade there already) and added variables for text colours to make things more flexible in case I wanted to change them mid-development
    • evented the teleport system and it even works! You can call the "Place Beacon" event from the menu and place one on any map without another beacon on it (except if the option doesn't work for story reasons). Then, you can call the "Fast Travel" event from the menu to teleport to any beacons you placed. Thirdly, you can interact with the beacon event on the map and take the beacon back. The whole system involves four common events plus one event on the same map which contains the beacon graphic and the "Remove Beacon" common event call and the position of said event is in turn controlled by the parallel process I have on every map (anyways, since I use region IDs for transferring players to be more flexible). Well, and I have the "Remove Beacon" common event call my "Obtain Stuff" common event where I handle gaining items and showing gain item notifications. I made some stupid thinking errors on my way there but way less then maybe two months ago, so yay! x)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.