March Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuxedo Leila

Tuxedo Leila Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @mlogan Those slimers are so cute dfdsoif

@Marsigne The map is looking good so far! If you can, try clumping in some areas or create patches of small trees or stumps here and there. 

@ksjp17 I like how you are getting the structure down before going into detail with the design and whatnot (I should probably take note of this). It's coming along nicely! :)

@Galenmereth I like how clean and understandable your battle scene is (btw the fact that players who are KO'd move to the sideline is really adorable)!

*I'm really sleepy right now so I'll add more feedback tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I had four presentations lined up in the last week of February (three of them went well but one was absolutely horrible) so I didn't really do anything for my game...  T-T

Today I...

- animated the TV (can't see it here unfortunately) so that you can turn it on and it will give the player some hints on what to do and otherwise secret info depending on the story progression. 

- made two plants (not in this screenie), a vent, a spacial heater (not in this screenie either), an electrical output

- fixed the lighting, rearranged some of the tiles

March Goals:

- 30 minutes of gameplay (carried on from last month)

One of my non-game related goals for March is to give some feedback and be more friendly on the forums (make at least 5 posts per week). I have a bad habit of writing up a post, getting anxious, and then deleting it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
    Susan, mlogan, Kes and 3 others like this.
  2. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    (sorry for not responding earlier, didn't saw it until now) Thanks for asking :D Yes, it's a storage place where they place the things they plant and stuff in there, so it isn't really their home, since they work in there, don't live actually xD

@Tuxelo Leila - :o That TV is AWESOME! xD the mapping looks very good also :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
    Susan, mlogan and Tuxedo Leila like this.
  3. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ksjp17: Oops, but well, we both learned something new!
    I really like the buildings on your screenshot. The Inn is without timber-framing? Is it a newer building, or is it just to test things out like this? (the difference in style made me curious)
    And thanks for your suggestions! Iceland I already had in mind, but it never occured to me to look at the southern half of the globe (sorry southern half of the globe!).

@hiddenone: Yay for resisting the temptation! ; ) And sparkly water!

@VideoWizard: Thanks for the suggestion, this I wasn't aware of.
    This is what I get for never having paid attention in Geography class. >_>" *wants to slap past self*

@bgillisp: Yay for making a post! (sometimes, even inspiration needs a day off, it seems)

@Marsigne: So the "What happens next?!"-hook. Didn't come to mind, thanks for clearing it up.
    To the other reply: I was more curious why they wouldn't simply share their storage, as it probably would be more cost/space effective (but it's mostly me thinking too much). x")

@SpiralSigil: Wish you lots of motivation for reaching your goals!

@Tuxedo Leila: I'm amazed by the many little details. There even is something pinned on the fridge! Would be the first thing I'd run to, as a player. Actually looks like someone is living there. <3
    And...

So I'm not the only one with this problem/habit/thing. D : (one of the reasons I have barely over 100 posts after more than a year)
    ___
    Thanks to Paperwork Friday staying true to its name (and an added entry to the most ridiculous questline that is part of my life) I didn't really get anything done.

• went through my reference image collection to collect inspiration for characters and locations in one place (not sorted through yet)
    • kept thinking about situations and characters when I was doing other things (this counts, right?)

4. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

@Leila,I am stunned! It looks amazing!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

As for me, I have filled out and completely rearranged my A3 A4 tiles for my Modern Exteriors set.

There are tiles for Suburban, High Rise, Old Towne and Industrial areas. All original except the three roof recolors of the metal roof.

I am probably going to reduce the block walls in the second line of A2 in favor of a white brick and, well, some other ideas... or I may just leave it blank. Will recolor a shingle roof to fill the one blank spot most likely.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
    mlogan, Kes, Marsigne and 1 other person like this.
  5. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Then the storage would fill up quickly xD (and they want to store lots of food, you know ;) )thanks for the concern anyways :D

Susan likes this.
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @hiddenone

I'm looking forward to a game made with that tile set.  I've not seen one yet.  It is Sharm's, isn't it?

@SpiralSigil

That is quite a challenging list of things to do in just under a month.  I'm glad that you like the result of all that work with the message boxes.

@TuxedoLeila

That is an impressive looking set of tiles.  Every time I see them they seem to have gone up a notch in quality.  The mapping is excellent too - apart from one small thing.  I know, I know, this is not the mapshot thread, but I can't help myself.  Everyone I know would turn at least one piece of furniture to face the TV.  No one I know would all sit there twisting round to see what was on the screen.

@Chiara

Thinking about situations and characters is most definitely work (and multi-tasking so you're doing that as well as something else is fine, imo) and it's work which is never wasted.

@GrandmaDeb

It's only now, seeing them all together as a tile set that I fully realise how much work you've put in on these.  I somehow hadn't really twigged that there were so many.  Congratulations!

As for me. I've been continuing the mapping of my town.  I've got the whole of that section that I posted done with all structural things in place.  I now have to start thinking about NPCs.  I do wish that packs came with animated doors.  Although I'm much quicker than I used to be at animating them, it still takes a while, so that's taken up a chunk of my time.  Anyway, the door in Celianna's set is now flying open as our hero approaches, as all good, obedient doors should.  This, of course, means that I shall also have to start deciding exactly how many interiors to do.  Not every house is going to be open for exploration, as I'd never finish, but I do want a reasonable number available to the more thorough adventurer.

GrandmaDeb, Chiara, mlogan and 2 others like this.
  7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Grandmadeb: When are those tiles going to be available for use? I can already think of a place I could use them once they are ready.

@ksjp17: I hear you there. I have a town coming up in Chapter 5 where putting the houses off to the side will not make sense for the style of that arena, and I'm dreading mapping those interiors.

3.7 Update: Went over the chapter 2 side quests and updated them to compensate for the changes in the game to this point. Have most of the sidequests in Silas' Rest's ready to go now. Just need to touch up the main quest, trying to make a decision on how I want to map the stadium (its do I either ignore the fact that seats are usually elevated in a stadium, or have weird perspective errors as the RTP is not set up well for a map where everyone moves downward into the center from all four sides). Will probably dabble on a side map and see what I come up with tomorrow in my free time.

Marsigne and GrandmaDeb like this.
  8. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Marsigne - Sounds like you are getting a lot of work done! I really like the more compact map, I think it works well.

@VideoWizard - You're joining our club it seems! :p And yeah, it definitely helps to get into a routine that you know is your "work" time.

@SpiralSigil - Welcome! gald you are joining us!

@Leila - Thanks! they are Amy's great handiwork! I love the screenshot - your tiles are always so fun to see! I love the bright colors! And yes, please post away! You are such a sweetheart - no reason to hide!

@ksjp - I LOVE those tiles, they look really good and I love that style of timber/stone. Also, I saw you mentioned something about doors. Have you seen Ayene's, she's got quite a few, not sure but some of them might work.

@Deb - Looking great!

Okay, as for me, I did sit down and do some work this evening. I started working out a scoring system. It's very uhhh, up in the air though right now. As with some other things I'm just struggling on making some decisions until I can actually start creating the levels. I know some would want every detail planned out before beginning to create the gameplay and levels, but it's just not how my brain functions. So right now it's kind of a bit like a train being stuck at the station.

I did also start reworking the concept and images for the main menu. Slimer will be going to a higher res, so I need to rework and add some things so there is not a ton of empty space.

Not a ton done today (was too busy canoeing with my kids and having family fun), but I would say I worked for an hour and now I'm posting, so - woohoo!

Marsigne and Tuxedo Leila like this.
  9. imascribble

imascribble The Dinosaur Lady Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @GrandmaDeb: Great job on the tiles!

@ksjp17: I'm one of those thorough gamers who adores going through and talking to every NPC in every house. I find it can add a lot of depth to the world, so long as the NPC's are interesting :p

@bgillisp: It'd be interesting to see how you deal with the perspective issue.

Update: Not too much got done (busy with work and school these past few days), but I did manage to make some battle animations and down sprites for a few of my actors. I also planned out the major boss battles in terms of enemy abilities, as well as strategies and debuffs to use against them. Hopefully some time this week I'll have a chance to finish the rest of my actor sprites and animations :)

Marsigne, Tuxedo Leila and mlogan like this.
  10. SpiralSigil

SpiralSigil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Aww you guys are all so nice ^_^  It's amazing to have such support, helps keep motivated.

I'm already keeping up with my goals so far as I finally got the demo's update uploaded today!  Huzzah~!

Best of luck to everyone with their goals :3

11. VideoWizard

VideoWizard Dragon Kingdoms Series producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sat 3.7.15: The town has been fully mapped now, and I started on the outside of the town. That means that encounters are coming with slimy and not-so-slimy creatures. Only small and weak monsters can be found around town, and unlike most RPGs, there's actually a good reason. Stronger monsters don't escape William the giant's notice.

Marsigne and mlogan like this.
  12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @ksjp - well, I might only use a few given that the game won't probably have lots of different styled houses and buildings due to the settings. Anyway, I would be making the tiles as necessary. This would really depend on which tiles I could convert into edgings and so on as I do know I'm not that good with art...  :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
    Marsigne likes this.
  13. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @GrandmaDeb: Wow, this is an amazing amount of building tiles. Even industrial areas included!

The last city I lived in (Berlin) has some beautiful industrial buildings from around 1900, made me think of them. Just throwing it in there, if you ever found a lack of inspiration. ; )

@ksjp17: I agree with work never wasted. Just doesn't feel as real as for example three pages full of notes. Especially since I've got ADD and thus information/thoughts don't always find their way into my memory. >_>"
    Your description left cartoons in my head.
    Door: "Oh no! The hero is approaching! Quick, I have to make sure the hero doesn't run into me!"
    And I'm curious, how long does it take you to map a whole city, excluding time spent on tiles?

@bgillisp: You could also ignore the fourth side and only focus on the three which are easily mappable with RTP, or did you already try it out? Just thinking out loud.

@mlogan: Some things need to be tested out in order to make an informed decision about them. Plus, this tends to be more fun.
    And yay for the hour of work done!

@imascribble: To me, this actually sounds like a lot. : D

@SpiralSigil: Yay for goals! Or something. I just got up. In any case, yay!

@VideoWizard: Love the categorization. Slimy and not slimy. Also nice that there's a reason that there are weaker monsters.

___

I have so much fun commenting on everyone's progress I almost forgot to write my own. Oops.

So, yesterday:

• wrote adjustments to the recent history from each character's perspective, basically typing down their backstories. I began with my main character and then noticed that the two non-descript people they interacted with at a certain point might just as well be the other two party characters. More potential conflict! I've got notes for six of twelve characters done and learned a lot about them in the process.
    Then came lunch. And a friend needed my help, so the rest of the day I spent beta-reading her bachelor's thesis.

14. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Chiara: Already tried that. I end up with trouble with the wall/ceiling tiles not matching the actual height, so it looks weird. I have thought about only doing one side at a time, and flipping the map every time you switch sides (so that it always shows you coming from the top), but that would take 4 maps, and get ugly quick.

I think more than likely I'm going to go for the ignore height of seats approach. It feels semi-plausible in mapping as it then passes for a top down view. Will give it another stab today though to see if I can do a better map on the side.

Marsigne, Chiara and Tuxedo Leila like this.
  15. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That sort of cartoon was exactly what I had in mind; a door sort of standing to attention when the hero approaches and throwing itself open so that the hero doesn't have to break step.

As for how long it takes - it really does depend on the size and complexity.  Never less than several hours, and the one I'm doing now will be at least 4 maps, and each map will take some hours because of the need to construct quite elaborate buildings.  It will also be affected by things like - is there a river running through it (I have one like that in this game) or some other significant non-building aspect?  For example I have 2 towns on opposite sides of a very big lake, and each one, therefore, needs a port area, which can't be like a sea port.

It sounds like your process for developing your characters and story is working well.  You'll definitely see the benefit when it comes to inserting all of that into the game.

@mlogan

Thank you for your kind words.  Yes, I've seen those doors, and in fact I'm using a couple elsewhere.  Here, though, because of the timber framing etc., the doors need to be one and a half tiles high, not two, so I'm limited in my choice.  What added considerably to the time was the fact that some doors are in stone walls, and therefore a timber frame is quite wrong.  I had to make a stone block frame for it, and that, including doing the shading on it, was not quick.  Unfortunately the door set in a stone frame in Celianna's set is arched, and not appropriate for a house.

So, my update

I've finished (apart from some final polishing) the basic mapping of the section of the town that I posted earlier.  You can see the map here in the mapshot thread.  I haven't even begun the NPC dialogues etc.. 

Marsigne, Chiara and Tuxedo Leila like this.
  16. esby

esby eejit Veteran

Week One Update

Spent the week getting drunk cause I had a bunch of birthdays I forgot about now I'm playing catch up :blink: Still just tweaking stuff here and there but it's taking a lot longer than I thought, battle balancing is a nightmare. Completely re-did the status screen to have it's design more consistent with everything else, still not 100% happy with it but it's better than it was.
    [​IMG]

I'll need to put in a little extra effort in the next few days to get the demo finished ASAP. Still looking for one more tester if anybody is interested :)

Marsigne, mlogan and Tuxedo Leila like this.
  17. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ksjp17 - Yep, I'm using Sharm's Pixel Myth tiles.  I'm really liking how the tiles look, and I haven't seen a game using them either.

@ʕ •́؈•̀ ₎ - The status menu looks really nice.  I've always found balancing battles to be a pain, so good luck!

I figured out most of the potion recipes I'm using in the game and I've been playing around with how item collection will work.  I've also started adding some flavor text to different things.

[​IMG]

Marsigne, mlogan and Tuxedo Leila like this.
  18. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Best reason for not much progress ever!! Lol!! Seriously, hoe you had fun and I like how nice and clean the stat screen looks.

@hiddenone - Potion making yay! I love collecting and making things kinda games! I also like how you did the text on that screenshot. Did you do that in Ace or are you using XP?

@ksjp - Sorry if you mentioned that about the doors earlier and I missed it. Sometimes I do skim a bit when I come online and there are 10 new replies. :p

Marsigne and Tuxedo Leila like this.
  19. SquallStorm

SquallStorm Resident Persona 5 Hyper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Week One Update:

I'm ahead of schedule and have been taking a few days off after eventing/mapping for 5 days straight.  Monday morning I'll resume mapping.

My demo mark 25% of the game being completed.  I plan to map a dungeon that is three times as large as my current biggest dungeon.

Marsigne, Tuxedo Leila and mlogan like this.
  20. Tuxedo Leila

Tuxedo Leila Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @GrandmaDeb Yours as well! Besides making extensive lists for the community, you make tiles as well! 

@ksjp16 Thank you! I'm always trying to learn something new with everything I make. Also, I thought about what you said about the couches and made one facing the TV. I think I'm gonna have to add a coffee table so that it looks a little less empty.

@mlogan Thank you very much! I love Amy's style as it's really cute and unique. I can't wait to see more updates on your game. :)

@Marsigne Thanks! I tried making the place as small as possible to create this cozy feeling. Hopefully it shows. :)

@Chiara Thank you so much! My target audience are players like you because I love putting in details into things that someone might notice. Btw I've been on this forum for almost two years and I haven't hit the 100 post mark yet because of that. I'm also scared of double posting and getting a warning (I've actually had nightmares about that). That's why most of my posts as in my resource thread. But I'm trying to hit at least 150 posts by the end of this year:)

[​IMG]

This weekend I...

- made a couch facing the TV, a door and one A4 tile for the apartment, animated Rococo door, made a roof.

- began editing the intro (this one should reveal much more about Linda and her circumstances than the previous one)

I'm gonna challenge myself and see if I can get this all done by tomorrow night:

- 2 trees

- 3 flower tiles

- 4 windows

- pipes

- 3 roofs

- 2 road signs

- traffic light and street light

- 2 benches

- 1 car

This week's goal: finish the intro and at least two maps!

Time to start!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.