Status
Not open for further replies.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
First?! :)   Soo, I'm considering trying to make a short game for the Birthday Bash contest.  

However, the idea I have involves an aspiring musician, and since I don't think I'd be able to get someone to make me a custom guitar generator part in time, I was thinking taking a more creative approach to the performance scenes....i.e., just showing a picture of the audience (like from a first-person point of view of the performer) while the song plays.  Since this game is short, there's only 1 or 2 "performance" scenes I really need...but anyway, I have no idea how to go about finding such an image.  I could find an image via google image searches, but I'm afraid I'll come across one that would be illegal for me to use.  What do other people do when they need a really specific image, but searching through the web just gives random results that you have no idea who the original owner is or what the terms for use are?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@jonthefox: In that case I usually either draw it myself, or hire someone to draw it for me.

For March:

-Finish Mapping all of the areas for chapter 5. This requires me to redraw a town from Chapter 1 though, and I'm not looking forward to it.

-Finish setting up the Crossroads game area, and decide on the remaining games you can play there. Some might be not implemented yet, but at least get it set up to allow for the others. I'm thinking 2 more, and we currently have roulette and the battle arena.

-Event to the end of Chapter 5. I'm hoping with Spring break in this month I can do that during the week off.

Stretch goals:

-Event the start of Chapter 6 sequence, when the party becomes a big blob of 14 people.

-Map the town needed for Chapter 6.

Tome571

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, my previous goal was getting converted to MV. Mission complete. For March? Updated artwork, more beta testers to play the game and work out some bugs and implement a new battle system. Really going at a great pace now with the polishing work, so some aggressive goals.

In the meantime, build my audience and start exploring a Kickstarter to finish upgrading assets to the game. The story is written, so I'm 100% that the project will make it to complete, so that is exciting! So maybe get Greenlight/Kickstarter fired up in April, after the planning is complete. Probably Kickstarter first, then implement the upgrades to assets, then Greenlight with the new looks/upgrades. Staying aggressive with the goals and work!

Find/Follow me here: https://twitter.com/Maestro_Enterta

Demo here: https://roastmygame.com/game/the-valley-of-ashe

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@mlogan No worries, we allot you exactly three mistakes a year. You have two left. ;)

Okay March goals for me:

-Finish re-mapping and art updating for chapter one of my old project.

-Start and *potentially* Finish re-mapping of chapter 2 and updating the art for a couple battlers.

-Get my hosting figured out for The Beanstalk.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm so freaking proud of myself right now.  With a little bit of editing in GIMP, I was able to find a way to make a character appear to be playing guitar.  Behold!

guitar.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This month's goal is going to be the same as last month's.  Finish my webpage and get it live and finish the tileset so I have new content for the webpage.  I really, really hope it doesn't end up being too much for this month too.

Starting tomorrow.  Hopefully.  I sure hope I'm not manic and start a new project instead.  I already spent today testing out how big I could make the sf sprites before they looked silly.  I don't like and I'm not very good at spriting, I don't even know why I'm doing it.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My turn; 

Since last month changed goals because of the character generator, I plan this month to finish mission 7, and start mission 8. I also need to deal with the new coloring system of the extended character generator, of course.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Schlangan Yeah... with the amount of legs I wonder if it is a valse à mille temps.  ;)

@Chiara*cybermental hugs* I do hope you get as lucky as my favorite skunk and find a nice place to nest!  (Yeah for real; I realized where lived those skunks who are so nice with me; below the cement block of my stairs! Cannot adopt them but at least, we live the same block... Sorta!  Shhhh everyone!  Skunks are nice!)

I seem to NEED to whack a good full hours to $Evilgod to beat that boss.  Might do a request afterward to ask Matseb to do an animated battler from it afterward! XD

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My goals for this month:

-Add the rest of the dialogue into my side project

-actually start working on balancing my main game(really, I mean it this time òÓ)

Just two things, but both are very time-consuming.

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Get the game story script up to 70% at least, once and for all T.T

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well, I'm going to finish up my birthday bash project. Rather than attempt to balance levels, I think I'm just going to let a player get better equipment. It's not like it's a long game anyway.

Once that's done, it's back to my dungeon runner. There's still technically a bug in the script I made (is a bug a bug if it affects nothing in any noticeable way? Sadly, yes...), but I can put that to use, and I also want to get something for enemy levels, so that at least the monsters are the same level as the character. This is not how I want it to be, but it's a good next step, and I can let my coworkers see about debugging my random dungeons.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Progress Report #1:

-Doing some graphical tweaks, now that I figured out to design behaviour sprites (now if I can figure out how to do downed sprites in a easy way...)

-Sent some of the work to the Save Manager SDK's github repository. Maybe somebody could help me figure out how to set up the OneDrive SDK so I can implement the cloud sync. (Found here: https://github.com/acemod13/Northbridge-SaveManager). I have the issue with the authentication, so some of the code related to that is there.

(NOTE: You'll need Visual Studio 2015 before starting.)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Aceofaces_Mod: Good luck with that. I can't draw to save my life I'm afraid.

3.2 Update: Spent a little time today tweaking the Crossroads game area, and started the process of moving each game to its' own map. Got one moved over successfully, now to move over the others.

Internetomancer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
March Goal:

--Try out combat systems till I find one that's definitely fun.

--Define a system of incentives to make it so the player's best game strategy is fun.

Optional

--create skills to match the combat.

--add the introduction.

--work on character development.

--work on maps.

Barriers: 

Distractions

Depression

Not knowing where to begin.  (Just begin anywhere!)

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
For the month of march... if I get ANYTHING done I'll be ecstatic. 

But semi-realistic goals:

--get a demo map working with 24px iso tiles

--expand/correct current tileset so the brick buildings look more like real ones, and not just squares of brick

--maybe pixel a tree

--map out starting area (on paper)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! OwO/

Mimironi

But what do I know?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This month, its really out in the field. Im not sure what to get done. I could:

-Draw more character busts

-Start on character sprites

-Start on making maps

-Implement the intro I have so far into VXace

-uhh

I have a weird problem with not wanting to use placeholders. I always try to get all the graphics made before even staring to write the dialogue.

Thats clearly a problem... gotta find a way to get past that stubbornness, or ill never make a game .-.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Woo -hoo, another update! Soooo...

1. Get the first map events completed.

I have LITERALLY just finished the prologue script! :D :rock-left:

[*]Do some interior work

[*]Flesh out the story for the next "scene"

[*]Do some documentation - (yawn) - but that does include setting up a Blog, so that's a Yay! :D
[*]Get to know the Luna Engine somewhat

[*]Stop being distracted by Bioshock...

I'm really getting into writing the script as well.

I'm writing it as XML-ish with tags, it's working really well so far. :)

Finally, what I am very much looking forward to doing is being able to get the whole prologue sequence sorted out and actually getting a meaningful vid and some screenshots done and up on here.

I'll really feel like I've got something to show for all the early mornings then!!

UPDATE:

Almost finished the prologue scene, it's fitting together really well I think. I spent some of the morning on the hunt for some decent thunder special effects sounds and figuring out some conditions based upon the number of steps a character has taken.

There's a section in my "Big Book of VX Ace Game Design" which should help me with that bit, however. :)

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Congrats everybody for your goals. I hope you'll be able to achieve everything you want :)

Time for an update:

I'm done with the vulture sprites for mission VII. Typically, I took the bird monster sprites from RPG Maker XP and changed the color for the charset.

Then, I redrew them in order to do the animated battler picture. Here is the result; a lot of battle animations are left empty, because I don't need them in the way I coded the game.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Managed to get a meeting cutscene between the main heroine and her friends working. It's a spacious map since it's in a discussion hall.

MeetingWIP.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.
100 problems in RMMZ 100 more problems take one down pass it around 101 Problems in RMMZ
Made some progress on my game, mostly mapping. Learned quite a bit in the process!.

M6eUoTT.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scooterdoofus