mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I know I say it every month, but yeah, hard to believe it's time to make another one again.

In the spring I think of new beginnings and new energy, so perhaps if you've been struggling lately with game development, let this be your chance to start again! As always, let us know what you're working on and what you hope to accomplish this month.

Also, huge thank you to @LxCharon for the header! I barely have my laptop functioning for internet, forget any editing programs, so this member stepped up to help out! I truly appreciate it!

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, guys. I'm in this month. For reals. I'm mostly starting with just blocking out the story for a small game. That in itself is vague. But, @Goldstorm and I have already done some massive brainstorming and taken notes, so that's a start. My main goal this month is to work up mock-ups and stretches for various design elements and pacing. I mostly only have weekends to work on this at the moment, but I am determined to not let everything pile up and push this on the back burner again. I'll do my best to keep up with everyone this month. This thread shreds pages at times. XD

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perfect, time to be serious too. This month, I'll finish mission XXI, and start mission XXII. I guess this mission will be the last primary mission of the first game, as some characters should be lvl 99. I'll add a bonus mission of course, much harder and only for grinding players :D. But first, finishing mission XXI would be great.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I hit a brick wall in development last month after working tirelessly on my project for the last month or two. I made so much progress and then BAM!!! I am trying to make a magical "base" or "hub" of sorts, where the players and their little rebel army will act from. I can see the vision in my head, but no matter how hard I've tried, I just can't recreate it in Rpg Maker. I've been beating my head against the wall on this for almost 2-3 weeks now and have made almost no headway on my project because of it! My goal for this month is to, at minimum, create the map and just run with it, knowing that I can always come back and make changes to it at a later date.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Works about to get even crazier (if that was possible), so progress might be 0% this month. I'll set some minor goals though as I have one week where I work a half shift, hopefully I can do something then.

March goals:

Do 2 of the following:
-Map Winterglen and all surrounding related areas.
-Map the Side Cave that you can explore in Chapter 9 if you feel adventurous. What waits for you here?
-Implement the NPC's and quests for Eastwood.
-Map the side area in Blackmire I've been putting off.
-Map the side dungeon that you can only reach in Chapter 9 that I've been putting off.
-Implement the NPC's and quests for Emberfield (requires mapping a nearby dungeon too).

I'm also going to try to implement the side quests for Silverdale as well. I didn't put that in the choice list though as I am done except for the quests with that town, and I think that will only take 1 day to implement.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have a nasty feeling that this month is going to be another hectic one, so I am unsure how much time I'm going to have. But here goes.

• Map the next area. This will require some new tiles, but I hope not too many.
  • Side view battlers - this is such a pain, trying to find something that I can use in Ace. Lots and lots of editing required for anything I do find.
  • Enemy stats and skills.
  • 3 big cut scenes at different points as the player goes through.
  • 5th member of the party joins, and the plot thickens.
  • Post more regularly in this thread so that I don't fall too far behind to be able to respond to other people.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My goal is to try to get some UI done and possibly make some sprites. I can't seem to animate sprites however, so I might need to take a base and alter it slightly to fit the style of the game.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
I had been trying to slowly get back to game making as opposed to Unlimited Documentation Works and Unlimited Tech Works phase. And I did some calculations on the amount of assets I have to work on. As it turns out, my workload looked like this, the ones marked green are already complete walking animation wise:

Sprite Variation (Male/Female Equivalents)

• Kids/Fairy Size
  • Teenager
  • Adult
  • Taller Adult
  • Senior
  • Chubby Kid
  • Chubby Teenager
  • Chubby Adult
  • Chubby Taller Adult
  • Chubby Senior
So that's 20 Variations. Then each variation has about 8 Frames of walking which is already 160 frames. Then adding Running Sprites (which is probably around 8 frames too) so that's another 128 frames (since I removed Seniors).

That's around 288 Frames. Then I also have the Sexy Female which adds 16 frames which makes it 304. Then there's hovering animation for flying beings (at least Kids and Adults) so that's another 16 frames which makes it 320.

Now, there's still environmental interactions by gameplay such as Pushing, Carrying, Slashing, Crawling and Jumping so that's another 60 frames. Which makes it 380 frames. The dead poses, etc. are not calculated.

So overall, why do I do this to myself...? :kaoblush:
I'd like to get it done within March, phew.

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Fernyfer775 I know that feeling all too well. Is there a particular aspect of the base you are struggling with?

@bgillisp Will you get a nice long break for the summer or do you work through it?

@Kes Posting here more often is one of my goals too. I think I did a tiny bit better last month. Personally, I'm trying not to feel obligated to respond to every single post, so that I don't feel like I can't post here. And I think everyone else should try for that as well - it was never the intention of this thread and I hate for it to keep anyone away. We all have those days where we just want to dump our own progress, but don't have the energy to respond, and I think that's okay.

@Archeia Holy cow, that's a lot of sprites! Good luck with it!

My personal goals this month are simply to restore my computer back to a functional working level. I'm not sure how much I shared, but after a Steam update, Windows 10 was not happy (something about it seemed to conflict with my graphics driver). I kept trying everything to get it back to a functional level, but it just kept getting worse. I finally wiped Windows off and was able to get Ubuntu installed. While in some ways I'm enjoying it, with my lack of knowledge, it is sooooo time consuming to get any programs to work, and usually if I can get them to work, it is only briefly before something causes it to crash.

Even now, I can only use it for internet browsing and at that, Firefox (only browser installed atm) crashes often. So I think my plan is to try to devote as much time as I can this weekend to sorting out what can be done. I would also like to try to get Windows installed again, as I used Windows File History to make a backup before messing with things, and it seems the only way to recover that is to also use Windows File History. At least, the files are not accessible as they are, which means, all the minor game dev progress I made last month might be lost.

So anyway, there's my long-winded way of saying "I want my computer to work properly this month!"

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Time to crawl back into these threads.

February ended up being nothing short of a failure for me, as I struggled with motivation with more or less everything. I think that my main problem with my project is the fact that I'd like to get rid of the placeholder graphics before continuing, but in order to do that, I'd have to do some tileset edits, and in order to do that, I'd have to create the character template... which hasn't been going too well so far.

Therefore, my goal for this month is simply to decide on the character graphics style and use that style to make the charset for at least one of the main characters (but ideally all four of them). I did a rough pencil sketch to visualize what I am after, so next step is to turn it into a pixel sprite of suitable size. If I haven't managed to finish the charset (or at least got very far) by mid-March, I'll scrap the idea of using custom charsets and a use ready-made template instead, probably Candacis's MV+ sprite.

Here's to hoping that March will prove to be more productive month than February - both for me and everyone else who might have been struggling!

ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I want to finish my battler sheets this month and finish designing the battle GUI. QAQ
Fingers crossed!

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Everyone have so nice and beautiful goals. Hope I get out of my bad lucks and keep my computer running.
@mlogan All my thoughts are with you about your computer, I know how hard it is to have one that stammer bad reboots.
@Archeia Hey... I do love your Spriting list. ^^
@Kes No worries, as long as you accomplish a bit of progress!
@bgillisp Wow... you sure work hard on that game. It has to get out some day. :D

Goals for March;
Apart fighting my left overs traumas for last past years and all bad lucks following me... :p
Learning PixelEdit!
I want to finish that pesky critter commission below some day!
DoingTransfers.jpg
(And for those hoping to ask a commission out of me about hydras... nnnNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO~! -I know... I might some day, but, please, not before I starts on Spriter!-)

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good luck for your goals everyone !

@Marquise* : You made me remember that with the tiger, there will be a hydra-dragon-phoenix creature that will appear in my game. I can picture myself dying while trying to create the sprites :kaosigh:
@Archeia : The doability of your goals will depend on your spriting speed and your motivation I guess. Have fun :kaoswt2:

My update :

Some progress on mission XXI. The cutscene with the enemy karateka is done, as well as the fights against him. I'm also done with a giant sunflower which appears just after him (spriting wise : charset, faceset, side-view animated set). Schlangan's team is confident and accept to "play" with the flower (as the flower asked), but they're soon hit and thrown out of the map. :eek:

Schlangan will fight the flower next. Little did he know that the flower is as strong as him. No wonder his team didn't stand a chance ! Now that the team members are dispersed, we'll play them for a little bit before coming to Schlangan VS Himawari.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Schlangan Getting a cutscene done is always very rewarding. It really makes it feel like things are moving forward to complete one. This scenario described sounds pretty--adorable! :D
@Marquise* Wow, that dragon already looks pretty frickin' cool. Can't wait to see it finished!

March 1st, 2017
Status Report:
Banging head into wall.

So, I had set some time aside today to update my Kontakt Ultimate up to 11. There are new orchestral sounds, so clearly I'm all over it. These installations are pretty much an all day event. I go to flip on my computer, and all the outlets in my office area are dead. We had pretty intense thunderstorms so my bets are placed there. I currently have an electrician digging around, but I decided to go stick my power strip into my boyfriend's outlet, so I don't think I'm going to be set back too much. I probably just won't get to play around with the new orchestral sounds until tomorrow, at least in a capacity of making something.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yay! I got back in one day. A good start on one of my goals
@Archeia Ouch! That is a heck of a lot of work for one month. Perhaps, though, you sprite like a ninja.
@mlogan I like to think of myself as a reasonably resilient sort of person, with a normal level of emotional and psychological maturity, but Windows (especially Windows 10) can reduce me to a quivering wreck in a nanosecond. So I think I can guess what your levels of frustration must be like.
@Marquise* It's looking good. Funny that you should mention hydras........
@Schlangan Ah, now I understand the status update about the flower. Sounds fun!
@Ms Littlefish No, no, no, no. No head banging on walls, you suffer from migrane. But I'm so looking forward to hearing what you produce with your new sounds.

My update:
With much blood, sweat and tears, I got a cut scene done which before I began I had thought would be quite straightforward. Nope! The choreography took forever, I needed to constantly adjust where the camera was focused, the BGS played up and then, when I had finished, and tried it out from where the player actually was (as opposed to just putting the player there as a Starting Position and going for New Game) the stupid thing did not trigger. Sigh, several anguished moments later I realized that I'd forgotten to put the note in the map note box telling it that walking onto a particular region tile should call a common event.

Anyway, done now.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I missed most of my goals last month, so most of this month is going to be trying to finish last month's with a few new goals added.
1a-Make first five skills
1b-Decide on a naming convention for the skills
2-Finish last two Knights and Knaves puzzles
3a-Make all the events for the house in First Phantasm
3b-Make/fix recap event

I might be busy this month! :hwink:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Schlangan LOL *cybermentally flees* Uh wait... this feels like your typical type of serious elaborate byte. I was to cybermentally trow you my desk behind your head but... If you go serious on this and keep your type of drawings, I would direct you to Spriter Pro because it would be the best to organize too many limbs and feathers if you are fortunate enough to be able to break everything into well organized layers.

@Kes LOL I knew I created a monster... The other head belonged to the walk cycle that I use to be certain all is in the right start position for all start of pose animation. I hope seriously that nobody is serious with hydras... Although it would be A-grade animating fun, spriting it pixel by pixel (even over an outlined scan) would be nightmarishly long! But I really loved the messy look /illusion my superposed layers made, I do admit.

Note to self for my TO DO list;
Make dummy blank pose movements scanned straight from my animation table for various critters free of rights so everyone can enjoy shaping them up some day!

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finally managed to sit down and write a detailed blog post about everything I did in february. Now it's time for setting up the march goals:
  • Have all tool animations ready.
    This one is not up to me alone, but I hope I can have it finished.
  • Have at least 30 tasks.
  • Have at least 10 different conversations with each villager.
  • Add two new festivals.
  • Release a demo version.
The demo will depend on all the previous goals being met, specially the tool animations.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes Isn't that funny? Thinking the cutscene couldn't possibly be that bad, then 6 hours later it's "why do I do this to myself?" Everytime. ...Everytime. :dizzy:

Also, the electrical problems ended up not being too, too terrible. I got my download finished, but one of the libraries was a bit wonky. So, I had to contact customer service--that's the real migraine right there. They've been a bit, not helpful? Everything's mostly working now, though. Enough for me to start playing tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's my birthday! :kaoluv: Also, Cupcake is done and out(ill post about it in a couple of days, busy today)
Not to be greedy, but if anyone happens to have VX Ace or MV Resource steam keys that I don't have, lying around, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.
Got accepted into the architecture degree. Now I have all the doubting questions. Have to give them an answer in the next few days.
Just realized I have a few Steam gifts floating around. Anyone need RPG Maker MV or XP (Steam only)? Send me a message and I will send them on over!

EDIT: Just an RPG Maker MV gift remaining! XP has been taken.
*when you can do the Unity tutorials, but when you actually try and convert it to your own knowledge, it fails horribly*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guhh