Market Research (Personal)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Victor Sena, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Victor Sena

Victor Sena ☆ The Stampede ☆ Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, dear consumers of RPG content.

I would like to do a personal research, to update myself and inform how the market is related to graphics.

Q.1: What engine do you currently develop your project?

Q.2: In this engine do you use 2D or 3D graphics?

Q.3: In your engine version, do you find standard engine graphics or others that are follow your project proposal?

Q.4: If not, why? Quality? Insufficient amount? Thematic unexplored? Another thing?

Q.5: Are you looking for more cartoons, oriental or realistic? Ex: Chibi (RTP VX Ace)

Q.6: If the graphic meets its theme, art style and quantity enough to use or easily editable, would you pay for this product, even if it could be present in the other projects that paid for it? If not, would you pay more for exclusivity?

Q.7: Last question, do you really intend to use this product to meet your expectations to sell your finished games or will it be just for hobbie?

Code:

Q.3: In your engine version, do you find standard engine graphics or others that are follow your project proposal?

Q.4: If not, why? Quality? Insufficient amount? Thematic unexplored? Another thing?

Q.5: Are you looking for more cartoons, oriental or realistic? Ex: Chibi (RTP VX Ace)

Q.6: If the graphic meets its theme, art style and quantity enough to use or easily editable, would you pay for this product, even if it could be present in the other projects that paid for it? If not, would you pay more for exclusivity?

Q.7: Last question, do you really intend to use this product to meet your expectations to sell your finished games or will it be just for hobbie?

[​IMG]

:rock-left::guffaw::rock-right:

2. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A.1: Vx ace

A.2: you can use 3D graphics in ace?

A.3: Huh?

A.4: I try to find graphics that fit my game i guess

A.5: A hand drawn look would be cool to see

A.6: Uh, yeah!

Q.7: If i get good enough i'll sell games i make, but ATM i haven't even released a rpg maker game. So as a hobbie now

Victor Sena likes this.
  3. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RPG Maker MV

2D

I create my own original assets.

The RTP doesnt allow for the creation of games with there own voice.

Changes project to project. I mainly use low resolution pixel art.

No point to pay for another product when I already have access to Photoshop and Aseprite.

Both.

Victor Sena likes this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    RPG Maker VX Ace

2D

It is usually good enough to convey what I want to convey.

Sometimes the standard resource just doesn't do justice to represent something, so I had to use a workaround.

I prefer cartoonist most of the time.

I honestly would worry about my game design first before I could worry about the graphics. So, buying a graphic currently is a no, unless I know that it won't go waste.

I never intended to sell a game, so if I somehow managed to pass the Q.6 and bought the product, I'd stay as a hobbyist.

Victor Sena likes this.
  5. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. RPG Maker MV.
    2. 2D.
    3. Mix of both.
    4. I like the RTP graphics, but they don't cover everything I want/need.
    5. Graphics that mesh well with the RTP. Otherwise, something a bit cartoony.
    6. I don't care for exclusivity (in fact, lack of exclusivity is better because it's sold for less). If it fits what I want/need, I'll buy it.
    7. All of my games are made to be completely free to play, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Victor Sena likes this.
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Art, Literature and Music is where people can showcase their work.

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

7. Victor Sena

Victor Sena ☆ The Stampede ☆ Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you all. Annotated data. õ/

@Kes
    Sorry, I thought it was there, because I would post a second research with samples.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Vash - that, presumably, would need to be a separate thread, and as such has no influence on where this one goes. And none of the questions posed in your first post (with the very slight possible exception of Q.5) is likely to generate samples of art, literature or music by you. Please see this post. That section is only for posting original works by you. It has nothing to do with research, which engine people use etc. etc. It seems unlikely, therefore, that your second thread will belong there either. But we will wait and see.

9. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Vash

1. I like XP, VX, VX Ace, MV, but lately I've only used MV. I may use on of those other engine's in the future for fun.
    2. 2D.
    3. Do you mean the RTP? Standard graphics that come with the engine? Yes. I'm planning to edit some a little, but otherwise it's still all RTP that I plan to use.
    4. I think when done well the RTP does work, I mean it does depend on the type of game your making but for my current one I think it mixes in really well.
    5. Chibi, pixel art? I think.
    6. Sure, over time I'm happy to buy some things, if I either find it fun to use just between myself or think it can be good in a project idea I may have.
    7. At this moment in time, I'm not planning to sell any of my games. That could change in future, but definitely not for now, anyway. I do like looking at commercial games too, and I have watched discussions about it, because I'm curious and find it interesting, but that's how far it goes for now. Right now all my projects are just a hobby for me that I enjoy, but people who do sell there games commercially may also do it as a hobby you know.

10. D.L. Yomegami

D.L. Yomegami Sanely Insane Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. MV. I've thought about switching to VX Ace for its assets, scripts, and just the fact it runs better on this computer than MV does, but I'm too used to MV at this point.

2. 2D. Getting RPG Maker of any engine to do 3D just sounds overly complicated. Of course, it depends on what you mean by "3D Graphics." Pre-rendered graphics are a thing, but the ones currently available don't suit me.

3. I'm sticking with the RTP + resource packs + community assets + self edits for the time being.

4. I can't make art that isn't hog waste, and don't really have the money or the means to commission stuff. It is true that the RTP is overused, but I personally would still go with it over MS Paint graphics. As far as I'm concerned, what matters is how the RTP is used, not that it's being used at all.

5. Given a choice I'd likely opt for proportionate but otherwise stylized graphics (like the generic anime style), since I'm not overly fond of the chibi style. However, since I can't make art that isn't hog waste, I'm stuck with the chibi style that the RTP goes with. It's not a deal breaker for me, however.

6. I'll openly admit that I'm a bit of a resource hoarder, so I almost certainly would if the art style appealed to me and was something that either meshed with the RTP or had enough available in the same style to make a full sized game with.

7. Somewhere in between? For the most part I'm doing this as a hobby and just to get my name out there. But while I'm planning on releasing my stuff for free, I'm also considering opening up donations or running a Patreon.