Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First off, let me say that I am greatly looking forward to being able to use this script.  

However, at the moment it is generating an error message as follows:

Script 'Yan/Eff comp fix' line 21: TypeError occurred.

no marshall_dump is defined for class Shadow_Overlay.

The script it refers to is a small custom compatibility script and is as follows:

Code:
module DataManager    def self.make_save_header    $game_map.ms_effectus_party_pos.default = nil    $game_map.ms_effectus_event_pos.default = nil    $game_map.ms_effectus_etile_pos.default = nil    $game_map.ms_effectus_etriggers.default = nil    header = {}    header[:characters]    = $game_party.characters_for_savefile    header[:playtime_s]    = $game_system.playtime_s    header[:system]        = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_system))    header[:timer]         = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_timer))    header[:message]       = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_message))    header[:switches]      = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_switches))    header[:variables]     = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_variables))    header[:self_switches] = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_self_switches))    header[:actors]        = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_actors))    header[:party]         = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_party))    header[:troop]         = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_troop))    header[:map]           = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_map))    header[:player]        = Marshal.load(Marshal.dump($game_player))    header  end  end

Could you tell me the code to put in a marshall-dump?  I have tried asking the person who wrote the script, but he seems to have vanished at the moment.  

I shall, of course, perfectly understand if you feel that this is not directly your problem, but I thought I would try, just in case.

Many thanks.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Are you using a lightning script or something like that?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Does that project currently have any save files? If so, try moving them to another directory and seeing what happens if there are no save files present.

Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Huddell

this is in the new thread for Khas Ultra Lighting script, so yes I am.

@bgillisp

Genius!  I thought that just starting New Game would be enough.  It wasn't but moving the old save files out of the way did it.  

Can you explain why to a scripting idiot?  And can I safely assume that everything will run okay from now on in?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
From what I can tell, the script was trying to access data in the old save games that didn't exist when it was creating the header (and the header for the old save game is still created even if you intend to just save over it). That was why it crashed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramiro

Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Well, thas is probably because the script needs to create something new that changed the previous data for some reason making it incompatible with the new one.

There is a discussion about how so many of us argue if this is a good or bad thing, or if it is possible to avoid such things HERE.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But if I choose New Game, which I did, then it should not be trying to access previous data.  That is the bit I don't understand, and why I continue to be a bit anxious about what happens in the future.

EDIT

Back to square one

This script comes in several parts.  I had disabled the various individual scripts so that I could check something else.  When I ran the check that bgillisp suggested I enabled them again - but inadvertently missed the main one!  Now that one is enabled, I get the same error message, so the suggestion does not work.

I think I need the line of code which gives the marshall_dump for that class, but I don't know enough to work out what it should be.  Logically, I suppose, it should be similar in structure to the others, but my experiments have not worked.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
But if I choose New Game, which I did, then it should not be trying to access previous data.  That is the bit I don't understand, and why I continue to be a bit anxious about what happens in the future.
The save file has two sections: "header" and "content": The header contains the data that is displayed on the save screen (time, money, characters), while the content has everything else.

If you have a problem with the content of the save, it will give you an error if you try to load that save file. If you have a problem in the header, it may give you an error when you try to save or load any save file.

That script you posted up there is called when saving the header of a save file.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That would explain why the error message occurs when it does - it is when the first map transfer happens, and the autosave kicks in at that point.

However, as you will see from my edit, the solution does not, after all, work and I am back where I started.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That is either a bug or an incompatibility. If you disable Effectus and that one script you shared here, does it work?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now that might be an error with the autosave script. Does it work fine until then? Can you save and load files ok before that first transfer?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I know you typed out the error, but could you also provide a screenshot of the message that it displays? Unfortunately I don't think you'll get too much support for your issue. Khas' light script is currently only available to Members+, as I understand, and will then be a store product. As a result, there is a limited amount of exposure for the script.

Either way, it seems that one of the lighting script's classes isn't able to be saved, which is happening when it tries to save the map. Without more information there isn't much we can do.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bgillisp

This is the very first transfer.  What happens is that after the title screen the game opens on a blank map where the player chooses visible/invisible enemies and difficulty level.  Once those choices are made, the player is transferred to the first 'real' map.  It is at that moment that it crashes.

If I disable that little script, then I get exactly the same error message but this time pointing to the Autosave+Yanfly Save Engine (combined script - Todd incorporated an autotsave module into Yanfly's basic script).

EDIT

Here is the error message

error%20message_zpsocoftmmj.png

@Zalerinian

It has just become available in the store today, which is why there is now an ordinary sub-forum for it.  I've been waiting until it went on general sale before posting this query.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Unfortunately, without the script it would incredibly unlikely for me to solve this issue. Right now my only guess is to see if another script also defines the Shadow_Overlay class (you can do ctrl + shift + f to search all script at once, search for class Shadow_Overlay), or the class itself contains procs or lambdas, meaning you can visibly see it have something like

procedue = proc { do stuff here } or

Code:
lamba = -> var1 { do stuff with var1 here }

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
EDIT: no, wait...

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A global search reveals that only Khas Ultra Lighting has Shadow_Overlay - which is what one would expect, otherwise I would have hit this problem before.

Checking through the script, neither proc nor lamba occurs anywhere.

Unfortunately I can't link to the script as it is a paid-for one and there is no publicly available version of it.

@Engr Adiktuzmiko

I have no idea why it is saving those in the header.  I am not a scripter and do not understand most of what I see when I look at a script.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tried to make a new class and include it in the header and it didn't error...

Does that Shadow_Overlay have a parent class?

class A < PARENT_CLASSCoz if it uses bitmap as a parent for example then that's a problem as you can't marshal bitmaps.PS: Have you tried running it in a game that only has that lighting script and see if it errors or not? That way we will know if it's compatibility error or inherent

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
My assumption is that Shadow_Overlay probably inherits Sprite or Sprite_Base (or any of the other unserializable classes), which does not offer an implementation for serialization

I would then assume the shadow sprites are being stored with the map or the system, and then trying to be saved.

Sprites should not be saved for the most part and should be generated as needed.

A proper fix would probably require modifying the script so that the script does not attempt to save sprites.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tsukihime

This is the sections that most instances of Shadow_Overlay occur in

class Shadow_Overlay < Sprite

and

class Spriteset_Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Chili: Evolved to taste spicy so no animal would eat them.

Humans: "Jokes on you ..."
I guess it becomes purely academic in less than four days but before then can anyone explain to me why the %^&*( animations in the MZ database don't have a 'Hue' slider??
Who here knows of the hidden laws of this multiverse? Such as the law of attraction
Exploding Fruits and Rasaks Pixelfarm Assets | RPG Maker News #108

So ghosts can go through walls and stuff, and depending their type (according to fantasy media) they can or can't interact with objects to a certain degree...

So why they don't always fall through floors? Do they always float and sometimes simulate walking? If things go through them how can they hear/see? And why sometimes they have clothing? Do clothes die as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alteria