Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Description of the Feature:
You know how RPG Maker 2k-2k3 had pretty Mask-based transitions (or wipes for you video editors) for both Map AND Battle. And then by XP-VXA they had degraded until to only Battle Transition and one only? Then suddenly MV decides to ditch it all together and replaces it with...this:

I personally find it ugly. This is why I wanted the Mask Transition back for ages. There is literally no reason not to use masks. If you don't know what a mask is, they're basically black and white images where the screen will appear and disappear on certain color regions (IIRC Black is where they are visible). This is what the video used:
upload_2017-4-20_15-49-58.png

The possibility is endless based on the pattern. Thus you can you do stuff like this (except you know, not instantly on next scene but to black):

Code for Implementation:
You're welcome RPG Maker.
  • To use this plugin, make a transition folder inside your project's img folder. So it should look like: YourGameProject/img/transition.
  • Put a mask image. If you have RMVXA/RMXP or its RTP, the BattleStart Image or the RMXP Fog images, can work as your testing grounds. I also added an example image by KiaAzad.
  • Simply set the filename on the plugin manager or an event variable as shown in the vid.

Why is this feature good?
This feature is great because of the following:
  • It's not ugly.
Possible issues with this feature?
Issues that might arise from this feature:
  • Literally nothing unless maybe someone uses a 2048x2048++ mask transition and kill their pc.

Last edited:

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Archeia is god, Archeia is love

feckyeslife

Sleepy Cat Mom
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmmm yes please. For now I'll snag that plugin, but being able to include this in-editor would be lovely~

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
You know what I miss? The screen transitions from 2k/3. You know "none", "side-wipe", "white fade" and the like? Those. Adding anything more than what we've currently got is a thumbs up in my book.

UglyMonkeyb02

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it possible to use this for transfers? Also when I do it the effect is really slow

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Was just talking about this. I'd love to see iris-in and iris-out scene transitions, side wipes, and especially (this is wishful thinking) linking two maps with a swipe transition (so your character stops at the edge, the screen moves/blurs over and then the next map is there).

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Personally, I miss the mosaic effects and zoom in effects and more that 2K and 2K3 had.
This is more like XP and VX and VX Ace transitions.
They're not bad, i just like more pizazz.

Elliott404

Game404
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it possible to set it for random encounters?

EDIT: nvm. Solved it.

Last edited:

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
This is one of those features that I kinda forgot about since it's been such a long time since I last worked in rm2k/3... but now that it's pointed out to me, I really want it back as a base feature again. Or just in general other screen warping effects for transitions, such as screen shatter or a swirl.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, I've been waiting and waiting for this ever since I first saw this topic. It got 50-59 yes votes (a lot considering the size and engagement on the forum), there is code usable right there and it's still not implemented. I wish they would put this in there asap... :kaocry:

t_awana

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
Exactly, I was looking for this!
What license is applied this plugin, now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Got the menu problem sorted out, now most of the systems are in place and I can focus on the plot and the maps!
Im really Happy that the MZ Hero looks like a Boy than a Man.
What the community thinks hackers do:
"Ok, now let's just type in the /win command, and... done!"

What hackers actually do:
"Alright, so I have a high jump mod installed, now I can just jump over everyone and be sneaky until I'm the last one standing."
When you gotta make a new tileset for each building because of a few differences.

20/24 done. Still no clue waht to put in 24, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reyneke