Master of the Wind [Complete RMXP game]

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Volrath, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Volrath

Volrath Knight in Sour Armor Degica

First Language:
    English

[​IMG]
    Download the complete game! (v.1.3)
    Estimated Length: 30+ hours
    File Size: approx. 500 MB (apologies in advance to those with slow connections...)
    Special Instructions: This is meant to be the complete version of the game, so choosing New Game will put you in Arc I. If you have completed the previous six arcs and want to continue, copy and paste your save file into the Saves folder and it should work. If you need a story refresher, a Word file is included that recaps the previous arcs in detail. The BGM folder will need to be moved inside the project's Audio folder for the music to work. The game should auto-install the necessary fonts. If not, they are also included.

For those new to this project, Master of the Wind is a seven-part game that blends the fantasy and superhero genres. Cade Mistral and his best friend, a skeleton named Bones, work as armor merchants at Torto's Shop in the beautiful seaside town of Port Arianna. Unbeknownst to the townsfolk, Cade also protects them as the spear-wielding wind mage known as Shroud. Bones joins him as Stoic, a mighty undead warrior who has lived through roughly one thousand years of history.

The story begins with our heroes keeping their fellow citizens safe from smaller threats like robbers or the occasional vampire. However, when larger and more organized foes begin to descend on their humble home, our heroes realize they are in for more than they bargained for. They will have to make new friends, confront deadly foes, and travel all over the world of Solest to deliver justice once and for all.

The demo of Arc I was released in November 2005 and the complete game was finished in December 2011. The game has gotten a positive response from the RM community over the years, winning the Game of the Year Misao award in 2007 (for Arc IV) and 2011 (for Arc VII).

ArtBane handled most of the gameplay side of the project, including elaborate dungeons that he became known for. My work was primarily on the story side, particularly dialogue and cutscenes. The custom battlers and faces were done by Enkur, and while there is still some inconsistencies with the battlers and face graphics, we hope eventually we can remedy this for a future version. We have a number of custom sprites done by friends of ours, including Lunarea, Ronove and Despain. A full list of all those whose work appears can obviously be found in the end credits.

Major Characters
    Chosen from a cast of dozens!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Cade Mistral/Shroud: Born to a family inherently skilled in wind magic, Cade is passionate, principled and more than a little rigid. After years of wandering alone, he treasures his friends and his job as an armor merchant in Port Arianna. When the town is in danger, he grabs his spear and readies his wind magic, becoming the crime fighter known as Shroud.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Bones/Stoic: Though he goes by the name Bones in Port Arianna, Stoic the skeleton has lived through about one thousand years of history. He is a deeply private individual, but shares Cade's quest to keep those around him safe from harm. He also has quite a temper, and enemies tend to fear him a bit more than Shroud.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Finley Donner/The Baron: Cade and Bones's next door neighbor is the ultimate straight shooter. The combination of his earnest honesty and complete lack of manners can often prove explosive. However, Finley can sometimes display a surprising amount of insight, and may find his true calling as The Baron.

[​IMG]
    Auburn Iliaca: A free-spirited bodyguard who catches Cade's eye when she struts into the shop one day. Beneath her charm and confidence lies a warrior's resolve, but she makes no secret of her desire for a less violent lifestyle.

[​IMG]
    Laurel Hargrove: A young telepath being groomed to lead her hometown of Boreal. She first joins our heroes in a battle against the villainous Ember Mages, and finds out quickly that her modest dignity contrasts sharply with the loud and strong personalities of the others.

[​IMG]
    Bubba Tanelorn: An aging kobold bearing both physical and emotional scars from the days of the genocidal Gallian Empire. He's a severe alcoholic, which makes him a source of comic relief for his friends, but what cost has it taken on him? His combat skills have not left him, and he is a formidable opponent, sober or not.

[​IMG]
    Gabriella Robin: A proud student of the Sacred River Monastery. She is very skilled in holy magic, but discovers the limits of her abilities after a disastrous battle with Stoic. She and Cade become unlikely allies and her true priorities are revealed.

[​IMG]
    Gino Toro: A local blacksmith who designs weapons for Shroud and Stoic. This gentle lover of nature was the first person to learn the identities of the heroes and become a trusted friend and ally.

[​IMG]
    Ketsu: The leader of the mysterious cult known as The Hand of Arcadius. His calm, collected demeanor hides dark secrets and frightening ambitions.The full scope of his plan is unknown, but for the moment he prefers to remain in the background as his subordinates carry out the early stages of it.

[​IMG]
    Don Kovak: The owner of Equipment King. He moves into a huge mansion on Blue Tide Estates while trying to endear himself to the citizens of Port Arianna. Given the threat he poses to Torto's Shop, Cade and Bones are hardly his biggest fans. They suspect he is up to no good, but Kovak is a master of public relations and will not be easy to outwit.

[​IMG]
    Sparrow: A famed assassin who has suddenly emerged again. After a lethal first encounter, Sparrow becomes Shroud's most feared enemy. The mysterious figure's true identity is unknown, though clues may be found in the strange abilities displayed during the clashes with our heroes.

And many more!
    Screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still want more MotW?!

- A short animated film based on the story of Shroud and Stoic's first meeting (by MOTWFAN)

Flight of a Robin - Lunarea's atmospheric short story exploring the origins of Andau and Gabriella.

Sandcastles - HarryE's light-hearted (and very challenging) fangame that challenges the MotW characters to navigate a dungeon that they designed themselves!

Enjoy the game!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
    mishak, Stanley, AceTheMad and 4 others like this.
  2. Knightmare

Knightmare Knight of the Night Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You already know I like this game a lot. Glad you brought it over here as well.

3. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    awesome, man.

i want to write a huge review here that encourages everyone to play this game and maybe i will in the near future!

but really, this is the best RPG MAKER XP game to date and everybody should play it. it's an archetypal masterpeice, and as you get sucked in, the story gets deeper and deeper. not to mention the dungeon design is just top notch!! most dungeons are on par with the legend of zelda in terms of puzzles and interactivity. this game goes far beyond the standard rpgmaker fare of "mazes and battles."

i have yet to finosh the final arc (I owe you guys, i've been busy!!, but ever single moment of this game that I have played is seriously enjoyable.

I'm a cynic and a VERY harsh critic about rpgmaker games, but trust me: this is the best rpgmaker XP game there is. Downlod this. Play it. Comment.

Enjoy this sheep now everybody. You can learn from this.

Knightmare likes this.
  4. Emmych

Emmych forever rotting in the shamecube, floating eternal Veteran

First Language:
    Anglais~
    I'm into this if only for the fact there's a dude named "Bubba".

...no but for seriously this one has been on my queue for aaaages. I've heard nothing but good things and I played the first bit of it (which was fun! <3) a while ago, but I really gotta get back in and finish this. >w<d

5. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Everyone should totally play it. Volrath and Artbane did what a lot of people plan to do (and fail at)--make an epic game. Volrath's writing is superb and Artbane's dungeon-designs are fantastic. You all should definitely give this a try!

Fomar0153 likes this.
  6. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    I'll also throw in saying just how great this game is. If you haven't tried it then you really should.

7. andrew

andrew how you mine 4 scripts? Member

First Language:
    English
    Yay! Glad to see this posted (didn't notice it!)

I have lots of games downloaded that I haven't played but want to, however I've played Master of the Wind every time a new one came out.

Now it's done, and over 5 years of hard work are definitely worth everyone's time.

8. Apple

Apple Doodlin' crap 'til I die Veteran

Still the best RM game I've played since I first discovered it around 5-6 years ago, and the only RM game I've replayed several times (and is intending to replay the whole thing again, just because). Try it if you haven't, because you are missing out BIG TIME.

Kinerex likes this.
  9. Warpmind

Warpmind Twisted Genius Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    ...Not sure what I'm doing wrong here - got it installed and everything, and I already have RMXP, so there shouldn't be an issue with that RTP in itself... Yet the game crashes as soon as I try to play the piano at the very beginning, with an error message about not finding the BGM directory.

10. andrew

andrew how you mine 4 scripts? Member

First Language:
    English
    Check if the Audio/BGM folder is missing or empty. Some versions had you download the music as a separate zip file and put the files in because there were so many.

11. Warpmind

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Hm, the BGM folder is not under Audio. So, since I followed the download link at the top of the page, where's the music? :p

12. Volrath

First Language:
    English
    In the Zip file you got from the download link, there should be a folder called "BGM" inside along with the game file. Move that into the "Audio" file and everything should be good to go. Sorry for any confusion.

13. Warpmind

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Right, THEN it ought to work, I guess... Still, if I were you, I'd do a rebuild on that installer. Because that was just clunky. :wacko:

14. TheBeardyMan

TheBeardyMan Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I get the following error on trying to run it:

Script '========================================'

line 0: Errno::EACCES occurred.

Permission denied - C:\Windows\Fonts\animeace.ttf

15. Volrath

First Language:
    English
    Looks like the auto-installer for the font messed up. I've seen that happen to people before. I'd recommend copying the Anime Ace font (and the other two in the fonts folder if you don't have them) and installing them yourself.

16. Lordeldar

Lordeldar Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Haven't got very far, but from what I've played. It's amazing

17. Volrath

First Language:
    English
    @Lordeldar: Thanks!

Master of the Wind has a tradition of April Fools pranks and this year was probably our best to date. MotWFan (who created the "Kindred Spirits" short film) put together a fake trailer that was meant to fool fans into thinking the game was being re-made for the major consoles.

So obviously MotWFan is the man for putting this amount of effort into this year's gag - he seriously worked for like the last 9-10 months on this. Hope you guys enjoyed it.

Apple, Lunarea and Ronove like this.
  18. Volrath

First Language:
    English
    Hey all,

For a while now, fans of Master of the Wind have been asking for some way to experience Clean Slate, the RM2k project I made earlier that is now a prequel. I didn't feel comfortable with a formal release since it's not nearly as polished as MotW, but I finally came up with a good way to revisit it - a Let's Play! Here's the intro video I did before the official playthrough began.

And a link to my YouTube channel.

So far, I've had a great time doing this. It's been years since I revisited this project and now I get to show it to you guys complete with running commentary. It's a mix of analysis and embarrassment at the ridiculous crap Volrath-from-10-years-ago thought was funny. That probably ups the entertainment value, though. Sometimes I don't know if I'm commenting on the game or roasting my younger self.

I'll post links to newer segments on my profile feed (might as well use that for something). Anyhow, if you watch I hope you find it amusing and/or interesting.

Apple and sabao like this.
  19. Choco-Elliot Wyvern

Choco-Elliot Wyvern Numbah 1 Konata Izumi fan Veteran

First Language:
    Chocobo
    This seems realy cool!Still at download(Dial up internet)so I'm checking some pics and wondering.....What script did you use for the faces in text boxes??

20. Volrath

First Language:
    English
    I suppose I missed this. Now that I've been using Ace, it's easy to forget that faces weren't a default option in RMXP. We were able to do it with Dubealex's message script, which is one of several message scripts out there that allow for stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012