Mature Content Flags and Extreme Plot Twists

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by BreakerZero, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another noob question here but in terms of plot development (and not necessarily off an f-bomb or the like) is there a line I should draw in terms of how I should consider twists and turns in the story relevant to maturity in regard to finishing my Steamworks documentation? And no, sexism is not involved either - this is more of a question of scenario design. Reason I ask is because I basically have someone go full cardiac (heart attack jack, to be specific) and the way it is written doesn't spell out what it is beyond the fact that it ends up being the so-called "widow-maker affront" in terms of its medical significance.

Also involved here is a similar situation that I saved for the second quest where it makes more sense from the perspective of plot development as a crew member heads out to recover her associate's car, and the analysis prior to recovery initiation shows no sign for concern off the wiring and the internals inconclusive beyond normal expectation... but it turns out instead that (BAM!) someone's a pro at doing car bombs, meaning there was no clear reason to suspect based on evidence alone.

Any idea on how to handle the maturity question off these two particular twists?

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure how a heart attack warrants a mature rating. Unless the pressure of it makes his head blow off in a very detailed gory scene?

As for a car explosion, again depends how detailed and gory you get with it. An explosion and flames would be okay I think. Body parts and blood flying everywhere, maybe not.

But then, I’m not an expert, just trying exert a little common sense.

3. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks. I do of course have a resiliency thing (half-divinity which is written into the plot, not to mention that I'm still doing this in a genre context) but even then it's not a guarantee she'll stay as-is and so they ultimately end up doing a sort of "bionic woman" thing - clean her up, assess the damage, implant, reinforce, test, adjust, discharge. So my use of this twist is not quite as bad as it could've been at this point. And before she blacks out from the shock I even have it to where you can see for yourself in her portrait that she's literally covered in dust as a result of the blast.

By this time of course, her associate through all of this got hitched to a half-beast tribal (also written into the plot and who also nearly fell under similar duress because of the aforementioned cardiac issue). This ultimately means ceremonial and eventually parenthood, of course... and (minor spoiler) their daughter is understandably spooked off the edge of her (literal) tail just for being the one who tracked down the plate code that leads into this. And she already knows enough about these matters by now - even for a three-year - that she ends up being the first to drop the inevitable one-liner about "cement in my shoes".

4. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I completely did not understand your latest post because it feels just too vague and did not exactly tell me what was wrong with her heart attack issue. Are you implying there's body horror or something like that?

Please make it ESL friendly too since mods and members here are multicultural.

mlogan likes this.
  5. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, so this is tougher than I expected it to be to explain how it is written.

For the avoidance of doubt I think I'll add some preview material to give you all a look at exactly what goes down that will ultimately lead straight into the turnin' point. (And yes, that does mean spoilers are coming. Just so we're clear).

Also, please excuse the dueling rhythms toward the end of the main clip (and feel free to critique my splash opening as well even though it's not the focus here). Typos and other errors will be dealt with soon.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Commercial Discussion is meant to be at least potentially of interest and use to others who are making games. At the moment I can see nothing which fulfills that. Please explain why you think this is of general interest and not something which should be in your game thread, as it seems to be just asking for plot feedback.

As for the clip - I saw zero shock, horror or any deep emotion-inducing content, so fail to see why you think this comes remotely near needing a mature label.

And no, this is not the place to ask for feedback on your splash opening, so don't invite critique on it.

7. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You actually have just given me the answer I was looking for. Furthermore, the only reason it's here is because it revolves around Steam's new content declaration requirement. As for the one about my opening sequence, that was meant to be a secondary consideration as opposed to how it relates to my original question so it's okay if it would be more suitable for another discussion.

EDIT: I should also note that in the scene afterwards (once you actually claim your reward) the dragon you fight before this connects an exit point to her pod in ICU where you find out that her transfer to managed life systems is about to be initiated. And yes, that does include a vitality-tracking computer system that's already going off by the second when you arrive. Unfortunately it didn't make the preview clip because I accidentally bugged the party manager to switch from the wrong position in the database following the cutscene that closes out what I do have in my preview, but with this being the ICU ward it's obviously the most extreme part of the whole scenario.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @BreakerZero You have been told in several threads now that what you have posted needs to be in your game thread. I suggest that you create one where you can ask your questions and get the feedback you want in order to get your mapping and writing sills up to scratch.

I am closing this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.