BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't set any monthly goals, the game gets finished when it gets finished (could be never).
I've finished my skill scene today.
Next up will propably be a tutorial scene.
After that I can work on the maps and the events again.
There would be another scene, which is basically an NPC book, but I am not sure whether I really want to include that.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Stuck in visitation with family coming out of the personal incident on Thursday (which could legitimately have been much worse, and in fact it seemed borderline "bucket tossing" bad for a short time resulting in a mad dash to emergency just to check if it was bad enough to warrant a hard cleanup (meaning going in and clearing it by hand... or even more drastic measures which I refuse to discuss with just anyone). Thankfully the blood mix and CT were no different than before (and in a rather hilarious and ironic twist I had both the same doctor and the same exam room as my last time in there!) Of course with the confounded coronavirus situation it was even more hectic than last time (just one extra person and no re-entry was more than enough for testing our patience!) but thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could've been so once these matters blow over with the crises (both personal and otherwise) then I believe that I will be able to get back to work on my project.

In the meantime I set up a month of access to Construct 3 to see if it would fit my requirements any better for cross-device support (EDIT: unfortunately it didn't work out as I intended) and have started looking for additional game-ready hardware for testing and utility purposes. And just before I got dragged out to go to the ER I managed to get a few things added in and/or updated, including a few changes to some of the existing characters, the addition of a rather artistic-looking voodoo boss (the inspiration for which is basically from the same source as my late-game boss rush) and the addition of a plot twist involving two sisters and their split across dimensions (one of which is an entirely new addition to the story, while the other is a rewrite of an existing character whose origin now foreshadows the situation to come).

EDIT: Back home now after that hot mess with the confounded (literal) traffic jam in my ass (for however many times by now) and made a very unanticipated discovery in my updated warp scene renders (I oversized the damn thing past the limits of what's actually displayed!) so I went back in and resized everything, centered it back into position and recompiled so that it not only uses the new look but is also not oversized.

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Made some logo work and also new head ^^
YouthfulCol.png
Not resized no lines recolored but...
Hope it makes you alll happy to see. ^^

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, it finally happened. Earlier this week I was informed that my employment services provider has instituted layoff procedures (and by now you can probably guess as to why they did this) so I'm effectively stuck without a job. As with everyone else, I have no idea of what to expect or how long this will continue, plus I have been experiencing serious issues with the UC in my ass (effectively, it's a rather annoying parallel to a Chron's situation for those who know what I'm talking about) so between the two situations you'll probably know why if I ever stop posting updates on my project.

In the meantime I have been running some more concept tests and I think my next boss implementation will unleash a massive sandstorm as a part of its ultimate attack. As is standard for my development style, I also have a test boss for concept analysis (which for obvious reasons is not intended to ship) but I also didn't want a "half ass" job (even for my test implementation). With that said, I have not yet drawn or completed my test sprites (and I still have to do the actual implementation). But at the same time, I already have a rough idea for what I want to do. And in addition to that I have updated my portal design to something with a much better rotation (off my own design, though it's still a bit janked with the animation).

Last edited:

HotAndColdAF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mid-month update: After spending most of the first half of the month working on pre-dungeon cutscenes and mechanics, I've got 2 out of 4 planned maps complete for the dungeon and 2 out of 4 planned cutscene interludes evented out. The mapping's gone pretty smoothly, and I've got a pretty good idea of what I want there, so finishing that up shouldn't take too much longer, and then it's just a matter of populating the place with monsters and getting the boss in working order.

If I keep up this pace, then I'm definitely on target to have everything working from the start of the game to the end of the first dungeon by the end of the month, even if it might not be perfectly refined and balanced.
Month-end update: I did successfully get up through the first dungeon and then some! Progress is good and I am pleased.

Goal for April: Get a game done for the No Travel Jam!

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've started the thinking progress for my entry for the No Travel Game Jam as a way to un-crustify from not touching the engine for so long. Maybe even get back to working on my main project.

It'll involve these two (
) being stuck in a small town where they have to figure out the cause of the problems here, a murder mystery here and there. No overworld combat or even that many monsters to fight, although there will be overworld interaction like reflecting laser beams off of a mirror.

Not sure how much of this is subject to change when I actually get working, but I am excited to pump out a small game.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And another month, with this thread still going. You know the drill by now, as do I.

Regarding updates, I have officially submitted my preliminary MSIX package structure for analysis in hopes that I'm good to go with that from day one. I'm also probably going to be locked to certain language despite my best interests and those of close associates (seeing that I completely forgot that I still have f-bombs and such in the dialogue) so I think at this point that I'm willing to take a "Class M" from the ESRB than to go back and rethink how I approach my scriptwriting. And in the meantime I have a demake to consider for ROM hacker communities as a promotional tool.

Or maybe not. That last part was stated only because it's April Fool's.

EDIT: Throw one more April Fool's jest on the list. I had some corrections and hacks to get things working properly, so I ended up suspending the certification process. More specifically, some of my plugins would simply give up on loading their associated image files which required some renaming, rearranging and some rather extensive modifications just to get things working again (and this is even despite the files actually being in the right place for the defaults!) To be fair, I did rename the nw.js launcher app from the default so this is at least partially biased, however this is the first time I've ever had to do this.

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I finally finished revamping the inside of a four floor castle in another one of my games, Battle Castle: Shadow From the Past. In fact, I am revamping this entire game because the ending was concocted out of sheer laziness to get it "finished".

Here's the outside if anyone's interested. There's still some minor work to do, like adding more people walking around.

Anomaly

coffee.empty? ? refill_coffee : drink_coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
[US] English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's a screenshot for the upcoming Game Jam. The town is pretty much complete already, all that lays ahead for this map is converting it to a full parallax map so I can have more control over shadows etc.
gamejam.png

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This game jam might be just the right timing to make a proof of concept (sample game) of my grid battle system. What will it be? that remains to be seen. Granted, it may not get finished (the script I mean, in a usable state), but making a game out of it is just the best way to test a big script.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After several ideas and so forth (including a temporary copy of the nw.js debug package) I finally tracked down my export issue. Turns out the package was expecting the requisite files in their encrypted form! (Duh....) The files in question are not processed as intended due to my export requirements, but as a workaround I set a temporary asset list in an event definition and moved everything over from that. With the addition of the voiceover that plays upon loading my debug assistance interface (which is available by using a certain controller input sequence at a very specific time) I now have the export version all set and ready to go (once the distro packages are ready, of course).

Aside from that is an unanticipated chain of events resulting from a data issue which prevented the game from even starting in the debug process which is now (hopefully) fixed. Combined with some additional plot updates and writing changes, I'm finally back in a position to where I can actually finish my project.

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
two screenshots from my project for the game jam, its actually a short story game i thought up in 2018 when reading some advice that its good to just slap a quick 30-60 minute game together for the sake of completing a game. Lol i never did but i kept the idea in the back of my head and nows the best time to do it.

Title2.png
Diary.jpg

Its NOT A HORROR game, its a dark story from the perspective of a civilian named Mya who gets caught up in chaos when the "legendary heroes" lose and the demons are free to massacre everyone. You have to guide her to her fiance' (while trying to avoid monsters, obstacles and survive a poisonous mist that's constantly draining your limited health) so they can at least be together in their final hour...

theres no battles, its mostly a narrative with a nice little twist at the end!

Attachments

Last edited:

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Taking a break from my main game and working on a german community gamejam project.
2 weeks to go.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've decided to try to participate in the No Travel Game Jam. Although my main project is far from finished, I'm hoping that doing something smaller in scale will inspire me to work on it more actively - and allow me to finish something for a change. In any case, I'm glad for this burst of inspiration (and the fact that I finally have time and energy to focus on something else than work).

I've already sketched a rough layout for the maps and written down the premise, character concepts and some ideas for the story. I'm planning to go for a puzzle/adventure game rather than an RPG so I won't have to worry about balancing combat, but I still need to decide whether to include multiple endings or just (possibly) several ways to reach the only ending. Maybe I'll start planning the puzzles and content of each room next...

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am working hard on my "no travel" game jam. It is more or less finished so I will hopefully have some time to inject some personality into it and not just make it a minigame compilation. The main hub is just a straight corridor with paths leading into different minigames but by adding some small-scale fun characters and event I hope to make the experience more immersive even if the game continues with the intent of just showcasing the minigames found in the main series I am working on.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wasn't originally going to do this, however I have decided that with so much content that I have in consideration that I'm going to be releasing earlier than planed with an initial episode or two and build from there. (In other words, I'm moving up the release to not only make 30 year as originally intended but to run an early access phase as well.) At present, I'm thinking of releasing everything from the beginning to my take on a "false lordship scenario", and then release phase two over the course of the next year (which is primarily because there's a few zingers and jokes that serve as callbacks to other classic adventures, one of which has its own upcoming anniversary).

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, on top of working on the Game Jam and CV, I've gone back to my personal project. You guessed it: still working on the STUPID BATTLE SYSTEM. I've posted about it before, but basically, I'm trying to do something similar to RISK, and it's... not working. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to have to declare bankruptcy looking for a scripter to code one for me or if someone has done something similar.

Edit: I would just make a support thread, but it's a pretty big task and I don't want to ask for a free script that huge.

Former_Sky

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looking to actually start working on my project this month. I've owned VX Ace for almost 10 years now and put in maybe 4 hours in that time. I just haven't been able to focus in and make something. So the goal is to get the ball rolling and start making some levels, maybe a little code and start working on the details that will make a game release as likely as possible.

Halfway through the month and I'm doing good. Roadblocks tend to stop me cold, but I've been doing well about overcoming them. For example, rather than spend lots of time making unique levels I've just been using placeholder sample maps. Hoping to keep this going well into May, and I'll get a lot done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The final version of our game is already available both in English and Spanish! ^___^
Can't believe this day has finally come... T_T
Im so happy that Dead By Daylight is getting a Silent Hill chapter! Cant wait to play as pyramid head
I'm glad I found those fishies by @whtdragon so I had a proper base to start pixeling the first enemies in the game.
Such cuties... yeah.
Yesterday, for my youngest sibling's birthday, we watched one of his favorite movies.
Ponyo is such a beautiful, but certainly strange, movie.
I just have to say that I prefer the majority of Studio Ghibli's works to those of Disney.
*sees work place in incoming call history* .... =www= hisssssSSSSSssss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IronWario