taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ashikai I haven't had coffee yet, so my reaction to your tree was perhaps none too intelligent - "Tree! *nods approvingly* Tree."

I completely failed at writing a tutorial this weekend. I was too busy/tired/brain-melty. Perhaps at lunch today I will try to get a start on it and eventually walk you guys through:

• registering at BitBucket Nah, you guys are smart enough to figure this out
  • Setting up a BitBucket repo
  • Getting/installing Git
  • Why we don't use the GUI for Git
  • Optional: Navigating folder structure in Git Bash - It's not like Command Prompt in Windows. Not quite.
  • Necessary Git commands - Stuff you'll need to be able to save and retrieve your work, wherever you are
  • Git cheat sheet links

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Schlangan, the script that I'm using has a fallback system for non XInput controllers, although I haven't tested it entirely, since I had to run the XInput support in pararrel with the keyboard support. I'll look into it once I return from vacation (I have this week free because Easter).

Progress Report #2

-Another city has now NPCs.

-Tweaking a bit of the battle UI.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ashikaiThat's much better than any tree I could draw. I just drew a tree for my trig class, it looked like something a  6 year old would draw.

@Little Adventurer: Don't feel bad. I think I've spent 14 weeks on my skills (divided over many 2 week blocks) alone. It's a slow process. Though it does feel nice when you manage to get it all done and all that remains to do is knock out the main quest.

@SchlanganThat's one way to give some incentive to the troops!

@taarna23: Ok, what is bitbucket?

@AceOfAces_ModDo the NPC's have different dialogues depending on the plot? Or is that for later?

5.2 Update: Managed to paper draw the town Chapter 7 takes place in, and also evented the Chapter 7 intro, though it is a text only version of it (didn't have enough time to do all the move routes and balloons needed for this one). Also set up the boat on the world map, as now the party can sail around the map if they wish. Makes getting around so much easier.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@bgillisp A website that helps you with revision control, much like GitHub. The primary difference is you can have a private repository on Bitbucket for free, whereas repositories on a free GitHub account can only be public, which means anyone can get a copy of your files.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I FINALLY got the whole "text boxes in battle" thing working!!

That's going to be good for certain bosses I have!

Also... worked on one of my characters- Alto! It's ALWAYS bugged me that this is a sideview battler sprite, and I can see his hair sticking out of the hat, making said hat look like it's just pasted on his head instead of covering his hair.

dmtl07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Used my generic test project to make a mockup of the battle screen. I took the Battleback 1 to mean the stuff behind and Battleback 2 to mean stuff in front. As for why the building features look lopsided, it's a callback to some of the HeroSmash background art that has lopsided features.

BattleWIP.png

Comparison with original game's art.

Random street view from original game.

sYzH04H.png

A huge bank.

aakR7Zb.png

shushcat

:( :( :( :( :(
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ummmm, my overall goal is to have my map for a city I'm making 100% completed this month - INCLUDING events! :D

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Valyria - bgillisp is correct, you would be best off posting a request in the Plugin Request section, or if you want to pay for it, in the Classifieds sections. We have many other talented programmers here who may be able to help you.

ashikai - That tree is looking good to me! Don't forget we have a WIP topic, if you are wanting feedback on it.

So, I actually did a bit of stuff yesterday. I started back to work on some sprites that have been sitting a while. I'm not going to post a whole bunch of goals for this month, but I do hope to release some modern sprites that will be useful to my project as well as useful for others.

I also hope to make a bit of progress on my own game.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Hullo everyone.

Well... got a bit of my hands full in my lab and the surroundings.  At least, so far, no natural, unnatural. surnatural catastrophes.  Which is good.

So... for this month, I will try to nail that $Eg down with all of its limbs this month I do hope! 

(Also, might distract myself on the side learning Spriter, testing Pro-motion and trying to edit videos for the .ogv formats :D)

YAY!  You Tube videos are now embeddable here from my side! (yeah I lost that capacity when the forum rebooted.  THIS IS AWESOME!)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Late, so I'm going to only be able to post progress here:

5.4 Update: Redid my project page. Seems the forum update wonked my spoilers, and seeing as I wanted to redo my page sometime anyways, it seems now was sometime. Have all parts updated again except a couple sections describing the world and such, and I want to look at the game description again when I have some sleep.

Also did a side map that was overdue. Now the entire Elmwood Earth Caves can be explored (there was one section that was closed off previously).

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp, Some NPCs do have more dynamic dialogue, based on the story events.

Progress Report #4

-One more map is populated with NPCs.

-Polished some of the maps.

-Changed some of the sound effects so swords and katanas stand out better.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I forgot to post, so congrats everybody (I'm lazy again), and here's my progress :

- The laps for the team are over. You can either do the 8 laps, or shortcut with the first character to speed up the events. Michael's black aura will be triggered whatever you do.

- The explanation of Schlangan on this aura, and the demonstration of Michael's karate skills are done. 

- Schlangan's experiment at the training room is also done. I like using all the rooms of the military base, so expect having to go a bit everywhere during primary missions :)

- I've started coding the new skills of Antoine, Mathias and Voice. Michael is teaching them, so every character will earn two new skills.

The next part will be testing the new skills, one part about another silly idea from Schlangan, followed by the last experiment on Michael's aura. After this, mission XII will be over. At the end of the mission, the characters will also learn how to use energy in their attacks. That's why this mission is important to let the characters gain more skills for future missions.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
More battle screen tests in the actual project this time. Click the spoiler.

The view during an enemy's turn. I either have to shrink the battler pics or rework the background.

ChxCkWOVEAAz_45.jpg

A special attack from Demo.

ChxC7E1UoAAMI5a.jpg

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So far this month (and the back end of last month) I have reached the following:

What's done:

- Implemented a Day/Night system (including lights turning on in villages and such as it gets darker)

- On the above, shops will close at certain times of day, and other things become available depending on what time of day it is.

- Introduction to various game functions (Jumping, battle system) as well as introduction to your 'guide'

- Introduction into your characters back story

- Created First Village 100% Complete

- Created Side quest cave and item required cave for the above area

- Created main cave to leave 'the starting area' 

- Base testing of difficulty and item strength in the area

- Added a fair few in game cut scenes to make the game feel more of a story then just a point and click game.

What needs to be done

- Extensive testing of current items and monsters that have been created

- Need to decide whether I am going to a World Map style game (final fantasy) or a Explorer type game, where all maps link together but you have 'way points' to fast travel (diablo style)

- Once the above is done create the first main area and sub areas surrounding. (such as small caves for treasure)

- Add a couple of the 'friendly' encounters where you are unable to fight and give them an item to gain certain items or skills etc. (inspired by FF9's encounters)

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's friday, so update-day.

I've got a few things done. Mainly finishing the minigame and making progress with the balancing.

I'm roughly done with setting stats for actors, equipment, items and skills. I'll work on the enemies step by step. Always setting my next goal to the next boss. I've been able to get to the first boss with this. There are still some things I'm not happy about, but that's definitely progress. ^^

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Progress Report #5:

-Polished more maps.

-Finally learned the basics of Javascript.

-Planning to learn about HTML5.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheOriginalFive : It si strange to see the monsters almost walking on the walls; since you use the same style for the monsters and the battleback, it should be possible to change the battleback a bit to give a different depth view ?

@BigToastie : If you add friendly encounter, don't make them missable, because Final Fantasy is especially a pain when you have to be at one place at one specific moment, or you miss something completely ^^'

@BlackRoseMii : Good that you've attacked your balancing :)  

@AceOfAces_Mod : HTML is fairly easy, just a simple tag language, you can learn what you need in a few hours.

My progress :

I love days off. Thanks to this, I was able to finish mission XII and release v2.11. Now the characters have learned new skills, they should be more efficient in battles :D . It takes around 9 hours to play the current version.

I'll start changing a few things in the game system for the next versions. What I'm thinking is :

- Adding a "ghost" quicksave when you take a primary mission. If for some reason you are stuck in the mission, you'd be able to reset just before taking the mission.
- Finding a way to create skippable cutscenes, if you've seen them a few minutes ago. The idea will be that seeing a cutscene puts a value in memory, and offers the player to skip if they come back to the same cutscene after a gameover. To do so, the GameOver will offer the option to try again from the last save. Loading another save will reset the cutscene skip option.
- Adding sorting to the items, as well as automatic even distribution. For now you can manually share items between characters, but an automatic option could be useful.

I don't know how fast this will go, but it should improve the gameplay and give a safeguard to avoid being stuck.

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Schlangan I did make a different battle back of a field with the vanishing point apparently at the center. The current city battleback is a placeholder until I figure out how to draw a city road with a vanishing point in the middle.

In addition, I think I'll shrink the battlers a little so that they don't crowd the screen. Still have the large source files for my own use.

Phonantiphon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would love to say that I had spent the last few weeks cracking on with an avalanche of games making.

But I can't.  >_>

Dragon Age Inquisition got in the way and now my PC is Properly broken from a gaming point of view I have to wait for my new one to be delivered before I can make any more real steps in the direction of finishing SD.

No matter though, we'll get there! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

One of these days, I need to find/figure out how to replicate the Brave/Default system. Heheh...
Are ReSTAFFs a thing anymore? Just curious, not sure if this is thread-worthy, so just musing here
Mr_Petue wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.
Mr_Petue wrote on Eliaquim's profile.
please explain, why you are voting my commentary negativ.
Uploaded a new Video today where I play Minecraft "The Bridge" please check it out & let me know what you think of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trippzez