ashikai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@TheOriginalFive I don't think you have to resize the battlers that much. Just enough so that they appear below the text box at the top of the screen, and I think it'll be fine. :D  

@mlogan I always forget about that thread... I'll make use of it eventually, but right now I'm more using this thread to keep me pressured to keep going rather than asking for feedback. Like a milestone marker, if you will. ;)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA I did it. I did the thing. I'm not scared of trees anymore. >:D

Been working on different techniques all week. I started with the one in the middle, drawing every leaf. Took so many hours and it's... not that great. Then I learned some different techniques and made the left one in a couple hours, but I screwed up the lighting because I was too focused on the leaf detail. The third one actually WORKS (with my game's style at least. Included a sprite for comparison.) even though it still needs a little cleaning/refining. 

(I know the first tree is still a little rough, but it might work as a stock graphic for someone else's game... where do I offer it up?)

tumblr_o6ttwlt3m31uz9xsuo1_1280.png

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks like good progress here so far, everyone keep it up!

Last few days update: Mapped out the first map for the town that the party needs to go to in Chapter 7, and also put the bad route for how they can get through town in. Got the other part paper drawn up as well. Then, got tired of mapping so I moved to eventing in some of my barer maps in the game. Now Elmwood has a thieves guild and the bank is now functional. Plus, there are a few different items you can steal from the vaults, if you can find the 8 digit code to unlock them (or be a really good guesser).

Spent the rest of the day thinking up 20 different weird items that could be stored in the bank. Only got about 8 of them down, and one of them you don't want (let's just say there's a reason it was sealed under lock and key). But it's a start.

Probably going to work more on polishing up these last additions to Elmwood, and mapping part 2 of the town for Chapter 7.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Phonantiphon : A break in game making is sometimes good. I'm playing The Secret World quite a bit too, hence reducing my game making time (even though I still make monstrous progress mwahahahaha)

@ashikai : I prefer the second tree. Compared to your character sprite, there is light coming from the trop of the character.  The third tree borders seem to dark for this. On the contrary the borders are lacking on the first tree.

@bgillisp : You can put in the bank a book which contains a quantum book that contains a quantum book, and so on... xD

My progress (warning, massive block) :

Version 2.11 being out, I started working in v2.12. I made a few improvements to some of the windows. Now, you can sort items, or even better, divide evenly the items within your team by selecting a single command. It is very helpful :D .

Then, I changed the mission recommandation system. Before, it was based on the level of your party as the fur soldiers were of same strength. It doesn't however work with the new team, as Michael is much stronger than the rest. So, the missions now suggest a recommended power. The power is the sum of physical/energy attack, defense, accuracy, evasion and critical. The missions recommend an average value. With the new team, some characters will be too weak, but it should be compensated with others. Also, some characters have a reserve power due to enhancement skills. Their power with enhancement is written in parentheses. For example on this screen. The team isn't strong enough for this mission, except if Michael goes into dark aura mode.

Another change is the bestiary. I increased the space of the description and added two more pages. One will give all the stats of the monsters, including the strength they have when buffed through encounters. The thris page will list all elemental and states weaknesses/resistances. (No states weakness though).

Then, I changed the save system. Now, you select one save slot at the start of the game, and cannot switch anymore (except by starting a new game of course). The save is then much faster when pressing S or going to the Save button. Also, when taking a primary mission, another save is created. This one will allow you to go back to the moment you took the mission if you're stuck. It is a safeguard save. You can give up a primary mission when you reach a GameOver screen.

Finally, I fixed a bug that was letting enemies with 0 evasion to dodge. And I've started working on mission XIII. Phew :D . Congrats if you've read until now, or if you've been clever enough to read the last line :p .

Last edited by a moderator:

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Schlangan

Thanks, yeah I plan to make some situational such as times of day, but always accessible.

Its why you will want to talk to people in villages and towns as they will give you rumors such as "I have seen a strange creature roaming somewhere when I closed up the shop" - so you know its after the shops close in a certain area.

I also plan to make the battles themselves interesting, kind of a fight with items, some may want one item, some may want a few or to answer questions and such!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ashikai I do like the detail of the middle tree, but #3 looks nice as well and I can see how it could be a good compromise between the two methods. If you want to offer graphics for others to use, you can create a topic in the resource section for the appropriate maker. If it's something you feel could be used for multiple makers, you can post it in General Resources.

I'm posting a small goal for myself this week. I've got 2 sprites finished and several others started. So my goal is to finish up at least two more sprites and make a topic posting them for use.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SchlanganHa! Though you are on the right track that some of them are books.

@mlogan: Sprites of what?

5.9 Update: Spent today touching up the crossroads gaming arena, fixed it so some side quests that you could finally solve in Chapter 6 can be turned in, and added a couple others. Also tweaked the merchants some, and touched up the world map some, specifically the SE zone that hasn't been used yet. Why? Well, let's just say it is about to get used in Chapter 8.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp I started some modern/futuristic people sprites for my own game that I wanted to share for others. Some will be basic modern jeans/t-shirt type things, others will be more (hoepfully) cyberpunk looking.

What is SE zone?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@mlogan: Southeast portion of the world map. Currently the game has been taking place in the northern part, as the southern part was blasted in a war many years ago.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhh, lol, so simple! I was trying to overcomplicate in my head what SE could mean. :p

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ashikai I like 1 and 3 the best. 3 looks like a good tree for a cityscape - something to add some brightness and colour to the surroundings. 3 looks like a good forest tree.

Personally, I got very little done this past week. Tiny bit of tutorial work done. I'll be honest - it's kinda boring.

grem333

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am in the process of writing dialogue for my farming game. Lots and lots of dialogue. I have around 25 villagers who all have between 4-8 different locations throughout the week, and my goal this month is to have unique dialogue for every villager for every location that will change depending on their friendship level. I'm working on pre-marriage dialogue, and will focus on post-marriage later.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Still my hands and fingers full here...  Still things walks like snails around me but it progress.

@grem333farming game.  :3 I read that line thinking of how much MMO players grinds in games and farms some other players then realized it might be just a Harvest Moon type of game since we are on RPGMaker!

TheOriginalFive

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I plan to draw sprites for one of my very first RPG OCs. Something along the lines of Adventure Quest, or the Worlds version.

Here's a sample of what she looks like, by another artist (I only colored in the lines):

Ch_IyLuVEAE-cEH.jpg

She's the only daughter of a baron who was sent away for a lady's training, and is the matriarch that the American Lions claim ancestry from. She also had two bodyguards that served as her friends. Still have to flesh out her background since I only have the start and the end.

In the Worlds timeline, she was murdered by an eldritch villain and her corpse became a vessel for a time god. The empty vessel carried out its manifest destiny, but her male bodyguard snubbed her and denied her existence, causing her other bodyguard to retire in grief.

In the original Adventure Quest timeline, she retires peacefully. Her bodyguards remain on good terms with her.

Edit: Here's a sprite of her at 400% zoom, without hood.

CrystalWIP.png

shushcat

:( :( :( :( :(
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm happy to say that I've completed my city map and even learned to do parallax mapping in the process.  Loving that style of mapping so much that it feels much more intuitive than just using the RPG map editor.  But that's also because I've spent a large portion of my life in Photoshop in general so whatever.

With lights and basic events, I'm already up to half of the limit - and that's not even adding in townsfolk or merchants or anything like that.  For larger maps with a lot going on, what do you do to keep the number of events to a minimum?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No real updates here, I tweaked something in my hand and been taking a computer siesta for a few days to recover. Feeling like I can type again without pain, but still going to be a couple more days of just movies before I return to game making. Guess I'll use the time to let ideas stew in my head for Chapter 8.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I forgot to post here for a few days. Congratulations everyone for your progress :)  

My update :

- All the new maps outside of the city are done for mission XIII. It is pretty fun to see all the maps put altogether, it creates a nice landscape for planet Releeshan :)

- The events from the prison to the city are also done.

- Another major point. I've commissioned @Alkorri for proofreading the English version of my game. She's doing a wonderful work as the text should now flow smoothly.

Now I need to work on the maps of Nathrax, the main city. We came in the city for mission VI. Now, the strange sickness over there has been cured, so much more NPCs will be visible, and new events will take place. A lot of work is to be done, as I also need to make sure that the city still works for mission VI.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've spend most of the week on some works for another persons project. And since this week was rather busy for me, it took me longer than usual. After that, I worked on checking the events in my main project. I thought, since checking the events would be faster, I'll get that done before getting back to balancing. (Don't worry, I'm not negleting that! I simply takes way longer and I want to get everything else done before I concentrate on balancing completly.) And I've realized that at some point, I stopped adding the music and added only the things necessary for the scenes ^^°

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm happy to say that I've completed my city map and even learned to do parallax mapping in the process.  Loving that style of mapping so much that it feels much more intuitive than just using the RPG map editor.  But that's also because I've spent a large portion of my life in Photoshop in general so whatever.

With lights and basic events, I'm already up to half of the limit - and that's not even adding in townsfolk or merchants or anything like that.  For larger maps with a lot going on, what do you do to keep the number of events to a minimum?

Honestly? I've learned not to make giant maps. Combining a giant map with parallax is just asking for trouble for people with older computers, and if you're thinking of a mobile port of your project, that's probably not going to happen. Adding in a large number of events and you're inching toward "dead in the water" territory. I'd say no matter what you do, scale back your maps. Split the large city into sections or something. If your parallax map is not modified with shadows, highlights and similar stylistic choices, I'd also suggest just learning to use the editor.

Edit: My progress - questioning teaching the use of Bitbucket/Git... Ideally one's graphics and music are not stored with the project files, primarily due to lack of space provided with Bitbucket. While this does not make the service useless, in fact, quite the opposite, I think many will see it that way and not use it.

Also started reworking some graphics for possible use in my dungeon runner game. I should also look back at testing and tweaking my random dungeon script - it is apparently still buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v
Well, I've got a party tomorrow, and my friends are coming over. I wanted to work a bit on the Fandom Scouts assets so I can be ready when that update arrives... in other news, Pizza Time Horror is getting a second teaser, and it shows Cabaret Helen's last performance before the location closed.
Also who used to be scared of Chuck E as a kid? I was! Now I love him!
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cxsr