BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This week, I've been able to do quite some progress.

1. I've been able to roughly balance my game. Well, basically I've just created monsters and classes, placed treasure chests and set up the shops. After testing it until the last boss, it became somewhat...playable, but definitely not enjoyable.

2. I've also realized that the max level the player would have at the end of the game is way too high. I thought it would be 60, but I ended up with less than 30. So I reduced the amount of skills so that there won't be any new skills after level 30.

3. And I've started to clean up the shops, so that there won't be any unnecessary items for sale.

I'm thinking about raising the difficulty level as well, since I was able to survive the dungeons without needing many items, which is not my goal.

Once I got all of this done, I'll make another test run. I doubt I will get everything ready this month, but it should definitely work in the next.

Other than that, I can roughly say how long my game will be. Most likely around 5-6 hours. If you know what you're doing.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BlackRoseMiiYou could always raise the EXP awarded too, if you really want the player to get to level 60.

5.27 Update: Spent today finishing up Chapter 7 Had to code a really long cutscene, and due to all the people on screen at once the move routes were a total pain. But, now the party can finish Chapter 7, and to the first map of Chapter 8. However, due to events in Ch 7, they start 8 with no equipment whatsoever (and that was a PAIN to pull off, as I had to figure out how to remove all equips in Ace, and I had some custom slots, so the editor wasn't enough).

How will our heroes get out of this pickle, without their awesome swords of doom? Play the game and find out!

Manalord

Master of Mana
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Progress Report

I probably will fail my goal as my only real tme to work on my game is Saturday and Sunday and I still have a decent chunk left, darn me constantly adjusting things to make everything look neat and proper

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I haven't done much these past couple of days. Been too busy playing The Legend of Driftwood. Only thing I've done is work on Profile text for some of my Actors. Hopefully it all shows up fine, since unfortunately, Yanfly's Profile plugin doesn't allow Word Wrap.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Peeks in, looks around

Uhhh, hi there. It's been a while. :p   I've missed a fair bit in here (nothing unusual). But I feel like I've maybe finally gotten back into the groove of game dev this week and can say I actually have made some progress.

First, I released a few modern sprites for MV in the resource section, yay! I hope to make more in the future to add to it. Second, I found a groove with the game I've been "making", lol. I use quotes because for the past several months I've been more thinking about the game than actually doing any work on it. I've really struggled with motivation and I finally realized early this week that graphics were a big part of it. I had tried mapping in MV with resized Futuristic Tiles, but I just wasn't happy with it and therefore unmotivated to do it. At one point I decided to go ahead and start eventing it, but with only barebones maps that I didn't like, that wasn't happening either.

After a lot of thought I decided to give POP tiles a try. While not at all designed for a sci-fi game, it has the retro feel I wanted. In my dream world, I'd hire Vexed to make me some special spaceship pieces and maybe that will happen someday, but I want to get a good portion of the game built before I think about commissioning anyone. All that to say, the POP tiles are working out beautifully. The simple style has made it easier for me to edit pieces together to fit my needs and I really do love the retro feel. At this point, I really only need one more main map to be done, and then just filling in details on the others.

So my goal for this weekend is to get very close to finishing the mapping (the game is intended to be the first episode and maybe run from 30 min - an hour). If I'm motivated and get that done today, I'll probably start working on really writing out the dialog and such, so that hopefully I can get to eventing next week. Oh, and I also need to remake the custom sprites I've done in POP style.

And here are a couple of screenshots:

Cockpit I parallaxed together:

wV4ziUK.png

Sketchy street where the main plot quest will take place:

b34IXHp.png

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mlogan, pretty good job!

Progress Report (28/5/2016)

-Still polishing... Nothing much here.

-Integrated some new icons to the game.

Misc:

-I was experimenting with converting RPG Maker MV games to Universal Windows Platform. While most of the engine works as expected, the plug ins are not working (somehow...). Either Cordova can't process them, or XDK did not. I'm still investigating why, while looking on the other options (until the free weekend expires, because I still don't own MV).

EDIT: Here's some video footage for the experiment (the recorder had a few hiccups during recording, so it is a bit jerky on two areas):

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Manalord: I say do as much as you can. You might surprise yourself.

@Little Adventurer: Put that game down and get to work :)

@mloganLooks good. I've never used the POP tiles, how good are they for sci-fi?

@AceOfAces_Mod:Are these icons  you made yourself?

5.29 Update: Wrote the Chapter 8 starting cutscene. Was a beast as in this the party now learns what is all going on, and who is behind everything. Ended up being 12 minutes long in the end. Hope I never have to write a cutscene that long again.

Olivier

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heya! After 3+ years of developing a game I've decided to scrap the idea of using other people's graphic resources and make my own instead...

Problem is, I'm not an artist...this will be interesting.

Check out my protagonist sprites (wip)

mira.pngmiraback.png

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp In all reality, for most people, not at all. :D However, they are working for my needs for this first episode and I'm hopeful that as future episodes progress, I'll be able to make what I need. The main setting for my characters will be their spacecraft and it was always intended for it to have an older rusty look to it, which is capable with the Pop tiles. And the other main area they are supposed to go to is also a bit run down, so the retro style of Pop will work as well.

And wow, that is a long cutscene. Do you think players will be okay with one that long?

@Olivier I'm really liking the style of that sprite! I think the only thing I'd suggest is some darker outlining, particularly around the shirt. As it is, everything blends together a bit too much imo. Also, there's a topic to get better feedback and tips, if you ever need it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@mlogan: Hope so, seeing as I can't think of a game I've played recently (besides a sports game) that doesn't have at least one 12 minute cut scene.

@Olivier: Good luck with that! Looks like you can at least sort of draw, if I drew my stuff I'd be using ASCII for the game :)

5.29 Update: Finished the map for the opening dungeon of Chapter 8. Still needs to be evented and monsters placed, but you can walk from start to finish.

Looks like I got a lot of mapping to do now too, as the party now needs to figure out how to leave an area. I count 4 areas that need to be immediately mapped (the minimum needed to end the Chapter by my current count), so I might be alternating between mapping and editing some things in Chapters 1/2 that were put off until Chapters 8/9 due to the areas they affected.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
-Made faces for Alto's parents (I have no names for them yet, so for now they're just Mr and Mrs Reed), and for a barkeep, and a witch and her daughter.

-Partially made the conversation event between Maestro Sonorous and Alto before the fight between them begins. He's tough, but fair character wise. If you lose to him, you don't get a Game Over, but you do get an extra scene that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise if you won. If you won, you'll get the reverse of that. Either way, you'll end up in the same plot related stuff regardless.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Little Adventurer: If you are struggling with names, there are many name generators out there. Have you checked them out?

5.30 Update: Stopping really early today as going to a baseball game today, but managed to map the town of Raindew this morning first. It was blasted in an explosion ~50 years ago, leaving little left but a lot of rubble to pick through. Now the town is set up so the heroes can go there and try to find anything that was left behind in the main town.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TsukitsuneI think the second is better. The dress looks less "chaotic" since the colors roughly follow the same direction, so it's easier on the eyes. I also like the little applications on the veil (I hope that's the right word ^^°) I don't know who this person is supposed to be, but she seems to be something more "god-like". That's why the simple blue eyes look better, because it creates a more supernatural atmosphere.
I hope you get what I mean ^^°

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Tsukitsune I love the first clad one Altought you can make the side plates in more uniform colors.

Got tried Long Gone Days demo and still on $EG...  I hope it'll end soon. 

Note; if you ever read that I am planning a 10+ limbs creature somewhere, please just find a way to whack me out of it!

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
welp taking a big hit today, I am currently planning to remove the "Terrax Lighting System" I have in place.

It's causing to many issues and limitations due to other plugins not working along side it or one breaking the other.

I can't have overlays (tried multiple variants).

I can't have an in game timer (which is essential considering my game has events based on times of day).

I keep hitting general annoyances that could be avoided and time better spent on the game itself.

So now I am going to take a look at plugins again (woo)

I need a DayNight system (even if its a basic tinting one) with an ingame timer and compatible or integrated overlay.

I have found a non English plugin that enables this but trying to decipher how everything works may be a chew on...

luzi

Freelance Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Done with my game's 2nd promo picture! Much more exhausting than I thought. Next month I can continue with missing graphic resources for demo.

revenant_gods___sigyn_and_surtr_by_coffee_straw_luzi-da4hieb.jpg

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Update! 

So after removing my old lighting system, managed to find some awesome plugins to not only replace the current system but add a lot of extra features and also provide additional compatibility with other stuff, who knew, change wasn't so bad!!

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just dropping by here for one second;

@BigToastie : What script did you use for lightning ? Does it offer as many things as Terrax's (flashlights, day/night cycle, moving lights) and so on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I created the first teaser for my game! I decided to make an animation of Cabaret Helen advertising the Pizza Time Theater, set to an actual radio commercial. But this is no ordinary advertisement...
"Somber melody and stunning visuals takes one through the bittersweet tale of False Rebirth" ~ Marmalade
https://rpgmaker.net/games/12069/reviews/7576/

Got a first review on my game, on RPG Maker dot net. :kaothx:
Nightmare... Dreamt I posted a GFX resource post. With a work in progress glove icon that tinted to different colors. In the wrong forum. And I was in such a panic. I saw people writing posts in response, those "..." you see in discord and such. So I frantically tried to report my post as wrong forum, editing to say it's the wrong forum and that I "accidentally" posted it too early... Very odd dream to be honest...
The youngest photo of you is also the oldest photo of you.
People need to stop submitting their game to every single game jam without even reading the jam rules (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deusogu