May Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I finally stopped being lazy like I had originally planned over the weekend (spoiler: I was lazy and played games) and started working on my game again last night. Got some stuff done, I ended up dropping my original idea of utilizing Underrail's oddity xp system and went back to just earning experience the good ol' fashioned way. I added party banter during the victory aftermath screens too.

I've also begun the developing the first dungeon the player will get stuck roaming through. I originally planned it to be short and quick and it's ended up doubling in size (72x70), but thought it'd be great to torment the player with a dungeon 5 minutes into the game. I'm still deciding on whether or not having on-screen or random encounters at the moment.

Anyway, here's my checklist that I've got planned for the month:
    • Finish the first dungeon and the last few areas related to it
    • Event the prologue and get it playable
    • Design the 3 or 4 enemies to be utilized in the dungeon
    • Start laying out the first hub for the game's first act
    • Databasing items, character stats, skills, weapons, and armor - oh my!

I think that covers all my plans for now. Hopefully I'll have some stuff to show off sometime this weekend for all your viewing eyes so keep them peeled.

Marsigne likes this.
  2. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Want to get more done this month, last month was kind of a wash and didn't do anything. Having trouble deciding what to do for a first MV project; think I'll just work on some character sketches and see if I can form ideas from that. For me usually either I make the story first and then fill it with the characters to complement it or vice-versa.

Also won't have Dragon's Dogma pretty much taking all my time since I finished that up last month. I finally did get a new job after being out of work awhile so I did accomplish a goal I've had for awhile outside of game development.

I guess then my goals for this month are to have the beginnings of a project in place and some character artwork completed. Let's have a good month everyone!

Marsigne and Lantiz like this.
  3. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm glad I bowed out of last month. After the sudden travel obligations, my daughter and I got really sick. I did next to nothing for my game.
    This month is not going to be much better. More travel requirements and lots of work to do for an upcoming move. But I feel like I can make an attempt.

Having said that, over the past two days I've managed to rough in the remainder of the PC skills.

May Goals, Finish 3 of the following:
    1) Create concrete plans for chapter 1 scenes.
    2) Get the "Assassinate" skill to work correctly.
    3) Balance damage output for PC skills.
    4) Rough in enemies and troops for chapters 1-4.
    5) Rough in enemy skills for chapters 1-4.

Side Goal:
    Draw with my tablet every day.

Marsigne likes this.
  4. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello guys and gals!
    Here I am again.

I'm currently rewriting my combat system.
    Been working on the player's commands and targeting, for now, I added the option for the player to use items on self and the party.
    Regarding the targeting, I'm improving over the old combat system and adding the option to toggle the current target.
    Target gathering and highlighting is done, need to implement toggling and selecting.

This time the combat will be heavily based on positioning and impairing effects, so the player may want to change it's target before moving.
    • Add entities to events (actors and enemies); - done
    • Implement turn based movement;
    • Allow the player apply items on self and the party (using the hotbar); - done
    • Allow the player apply items on tiles;
    • Allow the player apply skills on events;
    • Allow the follower apply skills on player;
    • Allow the follower apply skills on events;
    • Allow the events apply skills on the player;
    • Allow the events apply skills on each other;
    • Change the hotbars positions based on the player position on the screen;
    • Pathfinding for enemies to follow the player
    @Vox Novus
    Good luck with the new job [:
    Hope you do well.

Keep the good job people!
    Cya later.

Marsigne, Zeriab and Punamaagi like this.
  5. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @AceOfAces_Mod : Is the right one the new UI? Looks a little easier to see what tab one's on, though the pale grey text on blue on that lower left button is really hard to see.
    @bgillisp : Sometimes, puzzle dungeons are also a nice change of pace for the player. Teleport/forced movement puzzles can be quite fun if enough hints are provided but I suppose they're a bit of a pain to make?
    @WolfFS : Good luck with your goals. Also, now I'm hungry for fish.
    @feckyeslife : The micro game thing sounds fun, hope it'll offset the expletives-causing thesis for you. : )
    @Confederacy : With a dungeon 5min into the game, at least the player can't complain the game starts slow. : D
    @Vox Novus : Congrats for getting a job! : D Hope you'll have lots of fun with the super early blue sky phase of coming up with a new project. I know that for me it's easiest when I set myself limitations.
    @Llareian : Hope your travels and move will go well, and lots of motivation for the tablet-drawing goal! : D
    @Lantiz : Choosing a target before moving sounds a little counter-intuitive to me, but maybe I misunderstood something?

Progress, May 2:
    • did the next batch of quick studies. If anyone's interested in what it usually looks like, I stuffed it into the spoiler
    [​IMG]
    I focus on impression over accuracy, and use a pen to not get slowed down by erasing. It's mostly for me to memorize interesting shapes, maybe get to solutions I otherwise wouldn't have thought of. All of those sketches are made from various references.

6. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, suffice to say, I fell well short of my goals last month due to a combination of final projects in grad school and Persona 5.

I'm not ready to post new goals for May, but I will once I finish the last grad school project.

Marsigne, Llareian and Vox Novus like this.
  7. Hellpug

Hellpug Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engililish
    1. More script writing (I got some more done this past month, almost done, I think.)

Marsigne and Vox Novus like this.
  8. EliteZeon

EliteZeon Third-Rate Noob Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A non-zero day for me.

Designed the base for 4 NPCs and made a full template for my Saurian Race, which entailed getting my human template and adding scales everywhere.

Far-Left: Guard for Tonle City, they wear gambeson and have 3 different types of headgear designed to give each town guard some individuality. They also have three weapons, a spear, a rifle and a staff, and they can have the option of donning a shield or not. It's a lot of work, but I like the idea that each NPC has some unique characteristic. I will also swap around some features, such as elf ears, cat ears, etc... to give the idea of several races being integrated into society.

Mid-Left: A Saurian Male, the idea is that Saurians are basically humans with lizard-like characteristics. So they have scales, reptilian-fin styled ears and a tail. I thought it would be cool to give them an Arabic aesthetic if they aren't wearing guard clothing or adventuring gear.

Mid-Right: A male half-giant mage. I really like how my cloak turned out here. The staff was a pain to design for some reason.

Far-Right: A Yekshite druid, this is a crab-like race I designed, being the goblins/orks equivalent of the setting that have mastered druidic magics and live peacefully with other races. Their bodies are supposed to be shelled and their heads are adorned with black spines that look similar to the spines on common crabs. I may change out the name since I forgot shite is a variation of sheep. The name for the race itself comes from Yaksha which is a type of Hindu nature spirit, but I didn't want it to make it too obvious so I changed it to Yekshite.
    [​IMG]

Some examples of the guard variation I plan on finishing up:
    [​IMG]

Marsigne, Chiara and Kyuukon like this.
  9. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wazzaaaaaaa?!

Today I'll start with thisssss question here:
    Yes, it's a roguelike game.
    When I said move I meant any player action. In this case it could be using an item, a skill, and of course, making a movement.
    This happens because the enemies only and always (unless under an effect) makes their moves right after every player move.

Now, my update:
    Finished to implement the skill targeting system, so the player can now use skills on self and on other entities (allies/enemies).

Whats next:
    • Implement turn based movement;
    • Allow the player to apply items on self and the party (using the hotbar); - done
    • Allow the player to apply items on tiles;
    • Allow the player to apply skills on events; - done
    • Allow the follower to apply skills on player;
    • Allow the follower to apply skills on events;
    • Allow the events to apply skills on the player;
    • Allow the events to apply skills on each other;
    • Pathfinding for enemies to follow the player
    Cya!

Marsigne likes this.
  10. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara : Well, maybe more like 15 minutes. At least that's what I'm hoping for, usually it takes less but we'll see!

My quick update: Understood a little bit about Yanfly's Gab Window plugin and finished planning out the first dungeon, which the final size ended up being 72x80, which I *think* is a good enough size and not too long. Still undecided about enemy encounters though.

One idea I had was blocking off rooms the player hasn't entered yet with a "fog of war" where you won't know what a room contains until you enter it, which I think is neat and hopefully it'll leave the player guessing. Well that's all for now!

Marsigne and Llareian like this.
  11. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    IRL Goals
    Vaccinate Mr Cat Done!

RPGMaker Goals
    Errr sorry I get that done after a HUGE sleep now!

Personnal Goals
    Because of IRL Goal vaccine, my budget limitation made me walk hours today instead to take public transportations;
    so I guess... Making more exercises Done!

Marsigne likes this.
  12. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Arithmetician : Good luck with your last school project. : D
    @Hellpug : Script as in code or script as in "stuff that happens"? : D
    @EliteZeon : I like your modular approach to guard NPCs. With just a little extra work now you'll save lots down the line, especially if you made assets re-usable with low-effort adjustments to make them fit other places, too. That's pretty cool. I might borrow that approach once I get to a project that actually has more than a handful NPCs. <3
    @Lantiz : Ah, now I understand, thanks for clarifying. :)
    @Confederacy : My inner explorer loves and hates fog of war as it makes me want to explore every single bit of a dungeon. Though unless avoidable, random encounters could make it incredibly annoying.
    @Marquise* : Yay for the RL goals that got done. <3 And for seeing the positive in things. : )

Progress, May 3:
    • another batch of quick studies done. Less than half remaining. If I didn't get distracted that easily, I'd probably be done already. x"D
    • while taking a closer look at the Landsknecht aesthetic, I concluded that Salin won't get to wear a fancy hat. She's too likely to lose any kind of headgear
    It's already evening on the 4th for me and as of yet, no progress was made.

13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Chiara : Yes, they can be a pain! I made a game in MV that was mostly just puzzle rooms (20 of them) with monsters, and that took a while to make. Maybe someday I'll revise that game?

@Arithmetician : And that is why I'm making myself wait to play Persona5. Otherwise I know it will be "Wait...where did the last 3 weeks go?"

@Confederacy : 72 x 80 can be big or small depending on how you use it. My first dungeon was linear with like 2 short branches, so I think I ended up with 50 x 25 or something like that.

@Marquise* : Maybe you should make a game about vaccinating cats and all the other stuff? Wait...that might already exist...

@Lantiz : Hope that goes well!

@EliteZeon : Seems like an interesting approach to spriting. Hope that goes well for you.

5.4 Update: Spent today finishing the maps for Northpass and placing the last few NPC's needed. Also had to touch up the Northpass Bypass (though its not called that anymore as you can't bypass the town with it), amazing how many mapping errors I made on that map. Then again, I did make it 2+ years ago. Now, the stage is set for me to implement the side quests, which I will do on 5.6 most likely.

14. EliteZeon

EliteZeon Third-Rate Noob Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Been trying to practice my mapping out a bit.

Ran into an issue... I realized I don't have enough space for the default mapping tool to use all the tilesets I want for a map. So I am leaning further and further into needing to learn how to do parallax mapping.

Made a mockup test for my sprites against the Ancient Dungeon Set. I feel like it somewhat matches to an extent. Some opinions are appreciated. My goal is as long as it doesn't look like FF6's sprites and backdrops in that awful mobile remake.

Sprite test for a new version of Chasa Village. Notice the lack of windows... yeah.... my tileset edits didn't have enough room to include windows T_T
    [​IMG]

City mapping test with muh sprites.

[​IMG]

Pen sketches and concepts for a remake of the entire first chapter. Mapping, tileset stuff and character designs.
    [​IMG]

15. Hellpug

Hellpug Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engililish
    @Chiara As in stuff that happens.

Marsigne likes this.
  16. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @EliteZeon You make those tiles looks good!
    @Chiara Nice things going on. I will try to shuffle task today.
    @bgillisp My I already have shelves of should have finished! ;)

On the process of a full day/night task shuffling now wish me luck it means declogging space dragon caring and typing you a high four and a half Daughter Cat makes you!

Addendum, just sketched the side positions for low HP (that can be taken for poisoned also) Guard and falling dead (Wich I can recycle down pose for sleep afterwise!)

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Marsigne likes this.
  17. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    Had some ideas to drastically simplify the plot, which has been a stumbling block. Rather than forcing myself to really come with a truly novel story, I'll take the approach of using a job system like FFV and a centralized dungeon crawler in which the story is mostly an excuse plot, like Etrian Odyssey. That also cuts down on having to design world maps or multiple towns, which will be helpful since it's only me doing it.

Llareian and Marsigne like this.
  18. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara be welcome [:
    @bgillisp Thank you! It really did.
    @Arithmetician That's why I'm going for procedural maps. Wish I had your combat balancing skills tho

Today I worked a lot:

Followers and events can now use skills on the player or other events. I managed to implement a fake AI (not sure if it could be called AI haha) but it's efficient.
    Finished implementing the turn based movement.
    The pathfinding was not needed, moveTowardCharacter is working nicelly. Added another similar function to move characters to a given point on the map, so they can go back to their initial position when they lose the line of sight or kill an entity.
    Now I need to fix the hotbar position when the player is under it.
    I'll leave the part about applying items to tiles for the ending, it's going to be the begining of the crafting system and I still don't know if my idea is going to work.

So, here is the updated list:
    • Implement turn based movement; - done
    • Allow the player to apply items on self and the party (using the hotbar); - done
    • Allow the player to apply items on tiles;
    • Allow the player to apply skills on events; - done
    • Allow the follower to apply skills on player; - done
    • Allow the follower to apply skills on events; - done
    • Allow the events to apply skills on the player; - done
    • Allow the events to apply skills on each other; - done
    • Pathfinding for enemies to follow the player; - canceled
    • Find a Window skin that fits the game; - new
    • Improve the NPC interactions; - new
    Cya next time!

Marsigne and Marquise* like this.
  19. Arithmetician

First Language:
    English
    @Lantiz

It does require some minor reworking of the character backstories, but this is already conceptualized, so easy enough.

Anyways, all I'll need now for my game's areas under this plan are:

• A central hub town
    • A labyrinth under the town - the first set of jobs will be acquired here, in a small shrine; think of it as a trial that must be passed
    • About four outlying labyrinths featuring a variety of dungeons - e.g. Ruins, Lighthouse, Pyramid, Volcano (inspired from one of the RTP's title screens actually).
    • Successive levels in the depths of the town's labyrinth / dungeon, unlocked by progression in the outer labyrinths - additional jobs can be unlocked in sets here.
    • The Abyss - Final dungeon at the bottom of the town's labyrinth
    • The Temple - Bonus dungeon featuring the last job

Marsigne and Lantiz like this.
  20. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #2
    Immortal Sins:
    -Trying to understand how Invenio works.
    -Balancing the game.

Marsigne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.