May Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update:
    I have another sixty field maps to go before the coastlines are complete, I should finish them up sometime this week. Then I can start working on breaking up the linearity of the lakes & rivers. I want to have at least the lakes & rivers done by the end of this month & be started on the swamps.

So the goal for this month is to breakup the linearity of as many of the following terrain feature sets as possible, thus far I am at:
    1) Coastlines 85% complete.
    2) lakes & rivers 2% complete.
    3) Swamps 2% complete.
    4) Cliffs 2% complete.
    5) Hills & Mountains 0% complete.
    6) Forests 2% complete.

Marquise* likes this.
  2. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haven't posted since Wednesday, so today seems like a good day to post an update: Listening to Rollomatik's Back to the Funk EP is pretty good while rpg makin'. I've slowly been chiseling away at the game, I've finished the layout for the first dungeon and started populating it in Tiled. I got the areas done in the dungeon I needed to progress the game and so I don't get burnt out on map making, I'm saving the rest for after I wrap up the intro... which I need to make 2 maps for that, but they're not time consuming like the dungeon is. I've got at least 10 minutes already playable so far, so I'm expecting at least another 10 minutes to wrap up the tutorial. This last bit of the intro is also probably going to be the most difficult thing I've evented in RPG Maker as well, so fingers crossed it goes smoothly!

I've also found a window skin that I like for the time being to replace the default! And I've got a good portion of the first main quest written and began to layout the next quests too. I've also taken a page out of Diablo 2's book and have the game broken down to 5 different Acts with 6 quests for each Act, focusing on a different hub to explore and set of characters to interact with.

I think that's all for now! Hopefully I'll be able to provide another update fairly soon.

Marquise* likes this.
  3. EliteZeon

EliteZeon Third-Rate Noob Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Marquise* Thanks for the concerns. It really helps me out. Also, I have a roll20 account which does online tabletop. I actually ran Shadowrun 5E for like 8 sessions, but holy hell it was a lot to cover and hard for my players to get into. Lots of absent players, and lots of us trying to figure out the rules due to its complexity. Essentially it took place in Neo Tokyo and the runners had to solve a murder mystery which involved lynchings. I am about to start a roll20 DnD5E campaign with 3 irl friends, and a guy from Steam, PM me if you may be interested. Though from my friends DnD5E is too simple for them.

I've been doing more sketches as per usual and trying to explore possible scenes and plot points in my game. I basically revised the premise for my 3rd chapter like 4 times now. But I also am finally starting to flesh out the backstory and personality of Lyra, which is the 3rd hero to join the party. Sketching out her face and ideas for reactions gives me ideas on exploring a more complex personality.

Augh... Wish I could share them right now, but I am at the hospital atm so there's that. Ah well, I'll show them all in bulk later.

You know, last time I was at the hospital I wrote a good chunk of story and did skill balances since I had nothing better to do.

Being confined in this ward makes me realize how small rooms and hallways actually are.

Good thing I got the google documents app to edit my codes and ideas.

Llareian, Chiara and Marquise* like this.
  4. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Almost forgot to post today again (well, yesterday, I didn't get anything done for my project, so that probably doesn't count as forgetting?).
    Progress, May 09:
    • more sketching of Aranee. Closing in on her facial features; still need to do some more sketching, but already better than the first batch. Need to keep my brain from finding excuses not to draw, that's getting annoying
    [​IMG]
    Using references for the facial expressions did help a lot, though translating facial features is something I did struggle with. Not sure about the hair yet, and she will be wearing a hat, which, like her clothing, hasn't been designed yet. For final design drawings and in-game assets, I also will be using references for her ears, for real this time.

Bonkers and Marquise* like this.
  5. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, new goal for me. I'm trying to get my demo done by next month. Oh, boy. Wish me luck.
    My goal for today is at least get my dragon sprites done so I can revamp their puzzle a wee bit. Then, onto the battle system.

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @HexMozart88 : Good luck with that! I have a goal of going BETA by end of next Month, so I feel you there.

Update: None. I took a couple more days off. Really just needed to veg and play a monotonous game (Disgaea 2...you'd be amazed how relaxing mindless grinding can be). Hoping to return to work on the game some on Wednesday or Thursday.

Marquise* and Llareian like this.
  7. AskaRay

AskaRay Tired Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh ho. This is the first one of these posts for me since I can finally devote time to my game. It can be sort of hard though since I work at night, and that's when I can get most of my creative stuff done...unless something happens at work of course. So we'll see how that goes. (BUT of course RMVXA is only on my desktop so I cannot work on...ANYTHING actually in the program until I'm home. /sob)

Also half the month's already over RIP. Oh well

Life:
    -finish classes (two more days....)
    -set up an appointment with an adviser
    -set up/start couch 2 5k w/my friend (and the puppy)
    -prepare for Stormblood; just seriously bust out the last three patches in like a day
    -maybe just go to the castle and beat Ganon instead of just wandering around lol

Game:
    -finish diagramming boss battles
    -fully script part 1
    -finish main character artwork

That's enough for now. We'll see how that goes by the end of the month.
    why are there more life goals instead of game goals /looks into the camera like in The Office

Marquise* and Lantiz like this.
  8. LMichelle

LMichelle Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My goal is to get better at Pixel Art and make more tiles. I'm currently working on houses, although I pretty much work on whatever I feel like working on. I hope to finish a full outside tileset by the end of summer :)
    This is what is looks like now, without parallax. If it turns out good, I will probably sell it. I'm very precise though so I want to be sure it's good first x)
    Untitled-1.png

I actually also have a game I'm making but I want to focus on one thing at a time.
    And since I also have school and friends and such... x)

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    :kaoslp:I went ahead and gave myself a couple of days to recover from finals week, so I'm getting back into the groove of things now.

Progress:
    • Finish the placeholder/concept graphics for the first case.
      • I've made a basic walk cycle that I can work from for each character. It's super rough right now, but I'm not expecting amazing sprite quality at this phase of development.
        [​IMG]
      • My concept artist and I have worked out most of the designs for the first case of the game, so I'm working on translating those to portrait form:
        [​IMG]
    • Have a playable version of the first case done by the end of the month.
      • I'M WORKIN' ON IT. Hehe, my team and I actually settled on June instead. We're making some decent headway, but it's just more realistic with what we're aiming to accomplish.
    • Get a topic made.
      • I haven't even touched this yet. I know what I want in each section, but I'm waiting until my team and I settle on a title for this game lmao.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  10. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, I haven't really made formal goals yet, but I did some more planning work and decided how to dole out the jobs in sets, sorted roughly by power, quirkiness, and/or mechanical complexity. I also revised costs for all of their learned skills on my planning sheet.

Initial Job: Freelancer
    1st Set: Knight, Thief, Cleric, Magus
    2nd Set: Mimic, Warrior, Ranger
    3rd Set: Bard, Ronin, Chemist
    4th Set: Hex, Elementalist, Merchant
    5th Set: Monk, Astrologer
    Bonus Job: Valkyrie

I haven't been sucked into Persona 5 for the last few days... but Civilization V. Ugh. One more turn... But I'm almost done with the match, my first game on King difficulty. It's been pretty fun. The Romans just got purged in cleansing nuclear fire.

Marquise* likes this.
  11. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Amysaurus that guy will forever be Gary Oak to me, and I'm not complaining.

Amysaurus likes this.
  12. RionFish

RionFish Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Man, there's some serious progress here already! I'm wicked impressed with some of you folks.

My primary goal for this month are extremely simple: finish enough maps that I can start properly eventing the game.
    On the side I'd like to work out something to act as the 'first day' events of the game so that the introduction to the alternate world isn't so sudden. The player needs to have some semblance of 'normal' before being tossed into the weird.

The maps shouldn't be too terribly difficult as I doubt I'll need more then 30 regular ones for the whole game, but then you add in the various copies of maps I'll need to make where I have to change something big in a specific map for a certain day and it can't do it with actual events (the day with the giant sinkhole, for instance). Then the number gets a lot larger. With luck I'll be able to figure out most things with events.

13. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    And that game of Civ is over, so that's a big time sink I don't have to deal with now.

Lantiz likes this.
  14. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Progress Report #4
    Immortal Sins:
    -Planning out how the Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors goes exactly. It needs some clean up.
    -Another scene down.
    -Some clean up.

Marquise* likes this.
  15. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I'm back! Did you miss me? :b

@Marquise*
    Yes man! You gota give up on something, can't do everything. This is the way to do it.
    I gave up on sleeping hahaha

Did nothing about NPCs or village yet.
    Instead, I upgraded the map plugin and added a grid scrolling option (Zelda style), not sure if I'm going to use it but it looks good.
    When we have a battle system that happens on the map scene, some default skill effects won't work, like confusion or paralize.
    So I improved the battle system and added some skill effects: impairing, range and positioning changing.
    Also added sound to the message window.

• Add entities to events (actors and enemies); - done
    • Implement turn based movement; - done
    • Allow the player to apply items on self and the party (using the hotbar); - done
    • Allow the player to apply items on tiles; - canceled
    • Allow the player to apply skills on events; - done
    • Allow the follower to apply skills on player; - done
    • Allow the follower to apply skills on events; - done
    • Allow the events to apply skills on the player; - done
    • Allow the events to apply skills on each other; - done
    • Change the hotbars positions based on the player position on the screen; - done
    • Pathfinding for enemies to follow the player; - canceled
    • Event name labels; - done
    • Fast message system; - done
    • Edit the default message window; - canceled
    • Log window; - done
    • Grid based map scrolling (Zelda style); - done
    • Skill effects; - done
    • Message sound; - done
    • Improve the NPC interactions system;
    • Create a village upgrade system for the main town of the game;
    • Find a Window skin that fits the game; (this one seems to be impossible so far)

Cya soon... promisse :x

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  16. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Arithmetician : I wonder if there is something about May that makes us just want to play games? I've been having a hard time not playing games instead of working on my game too.

@Lantiz : Welcome back! No leaving this time, got it? :)

5.11 Update: Spent today making some more animations for the Fire Mage, and rebalancing a few skills that always felt a little too OP to me. So some spells now do just a tad less damage, some do a tad more (so they will be used more), and so on. Probably just a difference of 50 - 100 HP in damage dealt tops, but should make them feel more balanced.

Also got rid of two skills I rarely used in the Fire Mage set, and added two new damage spells instead.

And with that update, that's probably it for progress until the 16th, as I'm gone this weekend and not taking the computer with me. Catch you all in a few days.

Marquise* and Llareian like this.
  17. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    :hsad:Ack! I lost a lot of time at the beginning of the month.

Goals for this month, huh well since it's been about a year since I started work on my game I think I'm going to focus on getting the protagonists design done. (current placeholder is my profile picture) I've been meaning to do that for a while now and there's no time like the present!

18. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chiara thanks! I'm not doing very well with my tablet drawing goal. I've only done two drawings and started a third, and they were all in the same night! *facepalm* Not bringing the tablet with me on my trip, so I definitely won't be doing any drawing this week.

@bgillisp glad to hear you got some R&R in, as that's also very important to the creative process! Disgaea is always fun. :)

Progress:
    I have gotten the enemies and their skills roughed in for chapters 1-2. So I'm halfway to two of my goals, and I'm aiming for three goals complete by the end of the month.

This week will either be extremely slow or extremely productive, being the travel/househunting week. We'll see how it goes...

Marquise* likes this.
  19. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Chiara you do realize that those Aranee sketches are way beyond rough sketches. I do love the expressions of your character; she is showing off personality!

@EliteZeon Gah! Me it means using 3 different accounts just to play a single game XD Why in the world complexifying things apart getting more datas phished? Cool more sketches. BTW... You need a lot still for all of your game?

@Lantiz I read you "loud and clear". I got very familiar cases involving 4 Pepsi a night. Just careful with that stunt when you hit 30! ;) Hope to read you soon too! :D

Well... I kinda had to regen today too after getting paper done and brought to the government and then going to walk in a protest Meeting new peoples avoiding photographs and then go finding food then walk to get shoes then walk back home for more than ten hours straight Wednesday destroying a bit the newly acquired shoes that are meant to resist outdoors and rocky mountains o_O (really)! Then play and fed the felines who in turn took care of me a LOT!

Realized now that I also made 4 Pangofly dragon new poses in 3 frames each and stopped at Breath Fire ones because next is my infamous tail whip attack and I do want all my wits on it so I got here to report my progress and read from you all :D

20. TriceratopsX

TriceratopsX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update #1
    Well I had some inspiration on how a character should/could look, bad news is it isn't the one I'm "supposed" to be working on. Ah well, if I don't put this idea down now I'll forget it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.