May Goals & Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mlogan, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @XIIIthHarbinger Sounds like a productive effort. I'm always a fan of visible encounters, although completely on map encounters have always been my favorite.
    @Marquise* That's good (the animations and manuscript) and rough (the nightmares/paranoia). Take it easy man, nightmares can mess with your conscious moments too if they are to frequent and vice-versa.
    @Arithmetician You making an fft-like game? Man, I love seeing all these old school looking games in development, the currently popular paradigms of game development just so rarely do anything positive for me; which is mostly all that's inspired me to try my hand at developing my own in the first place here.

I had a dayum good day today, mostly preceded by the fact that I had no actual commitments to keep. Saw my first sign of success playing around with plugins (individual inventory screens for each actor. They aren't functional at all yet but I think I've gotten altering windows down at least now!) and designed a working if basic and lacking graphics hunger/thirst/exposure mechanic using nothing but in engine variables and common events! It's amazing how quickly browsing the tutorial page can reveal useful things, site is loads more supportive to useless amateurs such as myself than I'd ever have expected. Always had this notion in my head that game developers were mostly pretty elitist like players can so often be and it is nice to see that at least in some instances that's a bs perception.

On the non-technical side of things I've begun writing plot points and the like. Nothing to brag about as it's all subject to change, just writing backwards from the broadest sense of how I want the story to unfold on downwards, so mostly just floating ideas at the moment because I'm finding solutions and education for solving the technical aspects I had thought would stonewall me from actually doing anything a lot faster than I'd originally thought I would so far.

Marquise* likes this.
  2. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Philosophus Vagus More like a Final Fantasy V like game, but it still uses a job system like FFT. Though the dungeon style will probably be closer to an Etrian Odyssey game to simplify development, as I'm only one person, and I was having difficulty coming up with a more detailed plot.

Edit: Started working on equipment options for the starting jobs, but I think I need to do some brainstorming first.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Marquise* and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  3. umbralshadows

umbralshadows the silks angel Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    • Began plans (May 24) for the date sim/adventure novel game (Spectral hearts). Bought up Rpg maker mv ta learn while I wrote out plans.
    • Signed up with program that let you collabarate an organize thought online. Assined friend an bro ta tasks.
    • Came up with general plot.
    • Wrote short bio for each dateable char.
    • Rough drew one a tha players char bust (unfinished)
    [​IMG]
    • Grabbed stand in battle music an downloaded free music program ta make custom music using others music as inspiration points.
    • Started playing with scripts to find what battle style I like best of em.
    TO DO (May)-
    • Complete first players char bust
    • Complete game logo
    • Keep learning mv, drawing skill, music skill
    Release date goal- Late 2017 - Early/Middle 2018

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So I've been gone for a while due to surgery, but am starting to feel well enough to fire up RPGMaker again.

5.27 Update: Fired up the maker for the first time in a while and mapped a few interior maps. And that's it...keeping it light for the first day back as I'm still healing.

Marquise* likes this.
  5. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp That's what you call "keeping it light"? Mapping is usually where I end up putting in the most effort as I tend to like making the world looked "lived in". I'd honestly be afraid of what you consider "heavy duty" work in RPG maker.

---

My Final May Update

Alright, pretty much made my first goal (the most important one) and even went a bit beyond that. If you don't remember, it was to come up with skills for the first 7 characters of my game. That goal is done. Cleric goes into "Finalization" sometime this coming week. I did also come up with 4 of the 6 skills of my Ranger class after the Cleric and 4 of the 7 skills for my Necromancer, which is my final character. I anticipate all my character skills will be finished by the time the first week in June is done (or maybe that weekend).

Once that is done, it comes down to creating animations for those skills (which I will probably always hate doing) and then creating an iconsheet for those skills and the states some of them create. I'll enjoy the iconsheet work more.

I still have to get to work on the "Sweet Retreats" inventory, but I don't think that'll take any longer than 20 minutes or so, and that'll be fun, so I'm tabling it until the "less fun" stuff is complete.

And that's all I've got for an update.

Well, unless you're curious about what skills I finally gave my cleric. She can imbue weapons with two elements, she's got two attacks (one a physical elemental one, the other a magical one), she can cure the most common states or prevent being inflicted with those states for a few turns, she can buff Magic Defense, and finally... her "Limit Break" is a "Revive character from Death" ability. Letting your characters fall in combat is expensive.

6. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @umbralshadows nice character illustration!
    @bgillisp Heal well please (Hope it wasn't a big surgery and you are not sore now)... And hey one of the two Pangofly Dragon poses I actually have to do is Victory, I thought of you about a victory dance (though that critter is someone else commission).

Made the ramming position and then realized I should do it in two poses and each poses wondered (and later noted after completion) if I put one or the other the third one with a weight shift on its paws. Then realized that first pose with rear paws shifted could also do a third pose or final horn landing hit and that first pose of use item could count as... pace shift and first pose to do the ram run action.

Something tells me that I really do miss animation :p
    PS: again Daughter Cat seems to got back from another round of her "troubles"!

7. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Personally I just find random encounters to be the most annoying thing about JRPGs, so I decided to go with an all visual encounters

I considered constructing battlebacks based on the various tilesets, by simply using them to make "battle maps" for the corresponding map types, then simply saving them as image files. However, I decided against it for this project primarily due to the art style I am using; namely MV's RTP & DLCs that match that visual style.

My next project I was planning on making a game based on the assets released by Pioneer Valley Gaming, (Medieval Warfare, etcetera) & I was going to use them for that project though. Because I think it would mesh rather well.

Marquise* likes this.
  8. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tai_MT : I consider mapping light as it is monotonous most of the time (click here, click here, click here, repeat). Dialogue and cutscene work is what I consider heavy due to having to think out the flow of the dialogue as well as where is everyone and what are they doing at this point in time.

@Marquise* : It was to repair a hernia. A little sore still in places, but the soreness pain is < the pain I had before the surgery and I worked for a few months with it, so am able to work some. Still gotta take it easy though.

@XIIIthHarbinger : I thought if you didn't set a battleback, MV already had you just fight on the map? Or is that not the style you meant?

5.28 Update: Still taking it a little easy, so limiting myself to 2 - 3 hours in the morning right now. Spent today beta testing another hour of the game (up to Chapter 2, past the first boss of that Chapter), and fixed up a few little typos and dialogue lines that needed editing. Noted a couple dialogues that I would like to improve, but going to work on those when I'm closer to 100%.

Marquise* likes this.
  9. XIIIthHarbinger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe that is how it works, I seem to remember it doing so for early battle tests on a map where I hadn't assigned a battleback to the map yet last year. & it just used the current screen for the battleback.

However, the problem with that is that I don't believe it factors in the nature of tiles, when positioning the battlers. So you could have characters standing on roofs, standing in empty space over pits, standing in magma, & other nonsense. So I thought it would be better to construct battlebacks based on the terrain, using the same tilesets then just save them as image files.

Marquise* likes this.
  10. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Managed to get a number of effects done. Finally got to use that huge clam from before, and added a spot light overlay.
    [​IMG]

Got the basics of battle instituted. 3 Actors now have custom stats through notetags, which will make balancing much easier this time around. Skills and animations are getting tweaked for use in scene and battle. Since the numbers are so small, doing the damage formulas will be nifty with the help of google spread sheets.

The three major scenes for the demo are being refined, and the custom behaviors are nearly done.

Dr.X's custom scripts including a save engine along with the translated version of MV libra are now working.

I'd like to do a few more custom balloon emotes for non traditional reactions.

Titris Thrawns, Chiara and Marquise* like this.
  11. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @XIIIthHarbinger : Yeah, that is what I thought would happen in that case too, at least from my very limited dabbling in MV.

@Bonkers : Hope the balancing goes well!

5.29 Update: Spent today tweaking the two cutscenes that were off in Chapter 2. Took a few hours, but now the flow is better and gets to the point faster too, so it was worth it. Also cut a couple side quests that were just not working out as well, and beta tested up to end of Chapter 2.

Marquise* likes this.
  12. umbralshadows

umbralshadows the silks angel Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    • Completed game logo for now. .. I will make it better later.
    [​IMG]

• Finished lineart of mc 1, started on mc 2 (sketching) for female set just need ta finish coloring mc 1 fem.
    • Made event in mv ta choose mc (changes graphic with tha choices player makes).
    • Created dev blog.
    May stretch goal-
    • Make walking sprite for mc 1 fem.
    • Finish lineart to mc 2 fem.

XIIIthHarbinger and Marquise* like this.
  13. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @bgillisp So happy it wasn't something in odd places such as a gallbladder or an heart valve. :D But still, don't plan on lifting up all mountains by yourself soon please! ^_^ Get well please and it is good that you still slowly take care of your progress (Maybe the only way for you to carry mountains around would be by map making in RPGMaker.) PS; I had something of the kind in a misplaced spot once. OOw. I understand the "it hurts but now it doesn't bother me!"

Progress... Ack just paper stuff today awaiting a scheduled Exterminator verification today at home all day that NEVER came (and I was rang but no one climbed to knock to my door).

Well still two pangofly dragon side poses to do... and Daughter cat is a sweety too. She is sending everyone support her paw and head to my arm and especially @bgillisp to whom I explained her in my own word his situation and she instantly sent her best since she can relate from last year surgery. (Hey... She runs around the house with a plush mouse that I had to fix and stitch back the tummy, because she is worried the mouse won't cure! *sigh* yeah, I would trust her with a real mouse...but not Mr Cat! LOL)

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  14. XIIIthHarbinger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update:
    Last update for the month of May, didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted in certain areas, on the other hand I completed some things I wasn't intending to do until next month, so I suppose I call it a productive month. I am not sure if I am going to work on field maps next month, or start putting some work into town maps, which are largely just empty fields at this point surrounded by walls, fences, or terrain barriers.

So the goal for this month was to breakup the linearity of as many of the following terrain feature sets as possible, & later on I added populating as many of the field maps with visual encounters as possible, at the end of the month I am at:
    1) Coastlines 100% complete.
    2) lakes & rivers 25% complete.
    3) Swamps 2% complete.
    4) Cliffs 2% complete.
    5) Hills & Mountains 0% complete.
    6) Forests 2% complete.
    7) Visual Encounters 100% complete.

Marquise* likes this.
  15. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not posting in forever seems to have become my new (bad) habit. D: So a quick update in-between RL stuff that really needs to get done. x,x So: Yay for everyone's progress, and one quick reply:
    @Bonkers : I think I'll try to put one of those expression challenges into my June goals, after I finished the costume design.

Progress since my last post:
    • did some more thumbnail sketches and came up to a total of 18
    • picked my favourites and sketched them on the fullbody pic of Aranee
    • finished 2/5 design options for Aranee's costume design, prepared the file for the third
    It's not the end of May yet (not quite), but knowing myself, I probably won't remember to post tomorrow, so a quick "Yay, I finished all my May goals because I forgot to set myself new ones officially after I completed the previous set!"
    On a sidenote: The distraction of FFX is gone, too, and I'm close to halfway through the subsequent distraction of X-2. So unless my urge to play Jade Empire again grows bigger, I'll soon be out of distractions, yay!

Marquise* and Bonkers like this.
  16. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well I ended up going on hiatus for a week due to a busy beginning for May, which ended up being the whole month, which is natural for me. That being said, a big change happened to me last week (I got a corgi puppy!) so I'm hoping this helps me prioritize my life outside of work (ha!) and set up a working schedule I can adhere to (haha!). So that's my update for the end of the month, I'm gonna get started on working on my game tonight and hopefully be able to provide an update very soon with actual progress.

17. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Chiara Your posts are pearls to read and peek a look at your new material! ^^ Always awaiting to see your development and progress.

All right, did the victory dance side cycle and it was way more easy than expected but my animation page is now full. I think I will get a new one ready for the intro. Once I get the intro done, I might as well do a few flying poses but they will be just optional and to my own entertainment (Maybe bonus on later) but I will then had scanned all roughs (and you'll see what it was all about.. :p

Hope you are not hating it when I do rough animated.gifs because, it might sums as a lot and they are maybe not all corrected yet! (I'm really curious as how a Pangofly Dragon might fly! :D

Chiara likes this.
  18. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there!

@CrazyCrab Cool, what have you done in ace? :D

Bringing my last update this month:
    Managed to finish the procedural map generator and the random event spawner.
    I still need to add more jobs to the NPC interaction system, but it won't happen this month.
    Also, I'm not sure about the village upgrade system, need to think about it.
    Finding a new window skin seems to be impossible so, it didn't happen.

And, here's what I've done:
    • Add entities to events (actors and enemies);
    • Implement turn based movement;
    • Allow the player to apply items on self and the party (using the hotbar);
    • Allow the player to apply skills on events;
    • Allow the follower to apply skills on player;
    • Allow the follower to apply skills on events;
    • Allow the events to apply skills on the player;
    • Allow the events to apply skills on each other;
    • Change the hotbars positions based on the player position on the screen;
    • Event name labels;
    • Fast message system;
    • Log window;
    • Grid based map scrolling (Zelda style);
    • Skill effects;
    • Message sound;
    • Improve the NPC interactions system;
    • Generate random names;
    • Create new map generation plugin;
    • Create new random event spawner;
    And what I didn't:
    • Add more jobs to the NPC system;
    • Create a village upgrade system for the main town of the game; - unsure
    • Find a Window skin that fits the game; - seems to be impossible
    I guess it was a nice month, hope you all did well.
    See you soon!

Marquise* likes this.
  19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    End of Month. Let's see how I did. Here's the original goals below.

-Place NPC's in Tir Koraz and Northpass. Northpass is done, Tir Koraz is not. Partially finished.
    -Get Chapters 3 - 5 into Beta form. Hahahahaha...not even close. Just started fixing Chapter 3 today actually.
    -Map the two side dungeons. One done, one first level only mapped.
    -Finish side quests for (big list of towns). I got them done for the Elementalist Towers and Northpass, the rest were not even started.

So overall, that's a Failed Goals Moth. I figured with having to lose a week or so due to surgery it might be the case, but still...

Anyways, see you on the June thread!

Marquise* likes this.
  20. Arithmetician

Arithmetician Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Had some opportunity to brainstorm equipment lists. Here's what I've come up with for Light Body Armor and entered into the database:

Light Body Armor.png

Marquise* likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.