Maze of the Lost - DEMO 2.0 Released 07/15/12

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Knightmare, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Knightmare

Knightmare Knight of the Night Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The game is titled Maze of the Lost, its basically a Dungeon Crawler/JRPG hybrid. This is my first official project so I'm not going to make it all that complicated and will keep it rather simple as far as story and plot. I will probably use default RTP with a few additions, I'll be using a lot of VG Music from dungeon crawler games as well as some from other NES and SNES RPG's. I'm not very good at mapping so please don't expect eye popping visuals. The game will feature 16 Maze-like floors that will be 85x85 tiles. The floors will be pretty lengthy and will have several things to do on each floor not to mention a lot of treasures, traps, secrets, and NPC's to meet. There will be plenty of puzzles and riddles to keep your brain working.

STORY

A mysterious cavern was discovered by travelers one day in a forest near the castle of Farberg. Many seem to be allured into this cavern upon passing and are never seen again. It almost seems to have appeared out of nowhere as many have passed that area before and it was never noticed. The king sent many scholars to study the cavern but many were drawn in as well. After sending several groups of scholars, doctors, soldiers, mercenaries, merchants, soldiers of fortune, heroes, farmers, criminals, and common peasants alike and having none return the king started to grow desperate. People seem mysteriously alured to enter The Maze resulting in almost one-third of the loss of the kingdom. He is now offering his kingdom to any person or persons who can discover the origin of this mysterious cavern and come back out to tell about it. You get to create that group and venture in. What is this Maze? Where did it come from? Find these out and unravel the mysterious riddles and story of The Maze.

GAME WORLD

The game will take place in The Maze where people are desperate, monsters are abound, and there's seemingly no way out. Life is hard but people have banded together in colonies and collectively help one another to survive the harsh and dark desolation. There are all sorts of different groups of people caught in The Maze as stated above and you get to interact with each. Food and water are scarce but available and its the collective rationing of goods and materials between the members of these colonies that allow them to exist. Some will try to get greedy and horde everything however. Merchants have set up shops in The Maze also using the same gold currency as the world above. There's profit to be made even in The Maze.

CHARACTER CREATION

You will get to pick your 5 characters out of a pool of 15 and select 1 of 3 classes for each of these characters. There are 3 main classes that can be varied in several different ways as to in a way create a class within-a-class.

The FIGHTER class specializes in physical combat and can use axes, spears, swords, shields, mail, suits, helmets, and caps. They have 2 skill pools Combat & Rage, here are a couple skills in each of those pools:

Combat skills - Power Strike, Double Slash, Cover

Rage skills - War Cry, Frenzy, Wrath

The THIEF class specializes in stealth and exploration and can equip bows, dagger, thrown weapons, suits, and caps. They have 2 skill pools Thieving & Exploration, here are a couple skills in each of those pools:

Thieving skills - Steal Gold, Steal Item, Assassinate

Exploration skills - Disarm Trap, Pick Lock, Detect Secrets

The SCHOLAR class specializes in heavy skill use and can equip clubs, staves, suits, robes, caps, and circlets. They have 4 skill pools Healing, Support, Elemental, and Affliction, here are a couple skills in each of those pools:

Healing skills - Lesser Heal, Regenerate, Cure Poison

Support skills - Strength, Protect, Empower

Elemental skills - Fireball, Earthquake, Nexus

Affliction skills - Shatter, Poison, Disease

I've always been a huge sucker for creating characters and choosing classes and abilities for them. A big part of the fun is creating a team. I hope to bring that to this game.

GAMEPLAY

-Dungeon crawling action! I want the game to be somewhat difficult to have that dungeon crawling feel so it won't be a hand hold fest but won't be frustratingly difficult either. But be careful even random encounters can prove fatal if you don't think about what you're doing.

-It'll be a modified front-view battle. Numbers will be somewhat low so don't expect to get 9999 HP by the end of the game. The levels will also cap out about 50 but that's with heavy grinding, I want to make the game beatable between level 30-40 though.

-There is a JP type system to acquire your skills. It will be a style between Etrian Odyssey and Final Fantasy Tactics. But learn wisely because there will only be so many points to spend. You will gain 4 points to spend at each level up and you'll get bonus points for defeating bosses and finding rare items also.

-There are accessories for a slot type system to add some customization to element/state attack/defense among other traits.

-There are quests you can get from NPC's and such. The characters you make won't have a set personality but what you give them. There will be a few smaller stories in play also that will all tie together in some way towards the end of the game.

-The Colony where you begin the game will be where you can talk to inhabitants and get quests, do some shopping, heal up and save, do some crafting, fight at the colliseum, among other things. There will be hidden teleports and elevators to make dungeon navigation quicker and more convenient.

-The overall game should play between 30 and 40 hours.

SCREENIES

Screen1.PNG

Screen2.PNG

Screen3.PNG

Screen4.PNG

Screen5.PNG

Screen6.PNG
    DEMO 2.0 (No RTP)

This Demo is a little outdated on what is explained in this original post. Please download the manual for more explanation on these changes. Demo 2.5 which will be the next release will feature the changes and new mechanics.

http://www.mediafire...vwdzftlef8dun1i
    MANUAL

I hope you enjoy this game. I put in a lot of time and had fun making it. The Demo 2.0 should run about 10 hours if you get everything done, it will feature the first 4 floors of The Maze and will be about one third of the completed game. There will be 1 quest that is unachievable for now. Demo 2.0 does not feature certain mechanics such as the colliseum or crafting and these will be in the next 2.5 demo. Some animations for skills are very basic right now. Eventually all of these will have their own unique animation. If you're stuck in the game please send me a PM and I'll help. Also if you want to use the unencrypted project to learn from PM me and I'll send you a copy. Please don't expect this to be the next best thing or an epic game. I am a hobbyist with this and have made it more or less as a tribute to old-school dungeon crawlers. If you like old-school dungeon crawlers you'll probably like this at least somewhat. There is also a manual to hopefully explain things a little more. Please report bugs or anything game breaking. Please also let me know what you think of it. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
    ShinGamix likes this.
  2. Frondo

Frondo ACCCCCCCCCE!! Member

First Language:
    English
    That sounds like a pretty cool idea; I can't wait to try it out.

Just thinking, to add a little more replay-ability to the game, maybe you should add in a few randomized elements?

Like a trader guy in the corner of level three that has a 30% chance to be there and sell some rare potions. Sometimes he is there and you get a good chance to restock, and sometimes he is not there.

Looking forward to that demo. :)

3. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey Frondo, that's a great idea! I should definetely do some stuff like that, it probably won't be a lot but I'm sure I can think of a few instances where I could incorporate something like that. Thanks!

4. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Hey, Knight. Glad to see you got the class naming issue sorted, although from your descriptions, it does seem like a lot of the classes are similar with another, "paired", if you will... like the Chemist amd Saboteur. I know they have basis in hybrid classes as well (or are they still, just with fancy names?). The thing with rogue-likes (dungeon crawlers, if you prefer) is that randomness is quite prominent, so no 2 plays are ever the same.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to do this, but it is pretty easy from an eventer's point of view, but maybe randomised floors? So, floor 1 could actually be 1of 3 maps. This then becomes fixed after, for that particular save file. Random maps coupled with random events would make for great replayability.

The only other thing I can think of is better class definition. Like I said earlier, it does seem that class relationships are akin to FF1 where you had a base class then an advanced class. The Traits system from Ace should really work in your favour here. Maybe make the Chemist more item-based? I think the name would suit better and would mean items have a multi-purpose use here. This would be even better with a synthesis script, if you choose to use one. What I'm saying here is, in a rogue-like, each class much have it's own niche, not one where it's half of one class and half the other. Otherwise people would just pick the hybrid classes in such a way, you've basically got a 4-character party with 8 classes between them. If you want, I'd be happy to help you develop this. I'm a real big fan of these ever since playing the classic that is Azure Dreams. If you're cool with it, hit me up with a PM.

I like to think I'm a faily solid eventer and story guy. Either wat, looking forward to the demo.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  5. Ichi

Ichi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey Knightmare, sounds like a fun game! I was wondering if you planned on keeping the save menu open or will the floors be restricted to locking the save menu. Maybe have safe areas on the floor that you can save in?

6. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Astox - Hey, I hope I didn't make this to come off as a rogue-like because that's not what I had in mind. By dungeon crawler I was thinking more akin to the old Wizardry, Might and Magic, and Bards Tale games, or like Dark Spire or Etrian Odyssey for DS if you want a more modern example, the games were about dungeon exploration but everything was pretty static all the floors were "scripted" to be a certain way and there was no randomness.

Most of my class ideas came from Wizardry 8 at least as far as the concept goes. There are hybrid like classes but they don't use as many skills as their true classes. The rogue for instance can use Disarm Traps, Lockpick, and Steal up to Level 5 (the max skill level), whereas the Ninja can only use those to the 3rd Level, and the Ranger to the 1st Level, and the Sabateur to the 2nd Level. Likewise the Medician uses all healing and buff skills whereas the Paladin uses only a handful but makes up or it with his fighting ability. So it becomes a choice of whether you would have 1 strong skill set or 2-3 weaker skill sets but have more variety. So the hybrid idea is still there but the classes will also have their own unique skills to set them apart.

I plan on making one of my Levels randomized, there won't be any story on that floor but just randomized goodness each time you enter.

I think its a good idea to make the Chemist more item based so I'll end up doing that, thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the feedback, ideas, and support, and for offering assistance. When it gets closer to go time (demo) I'll let you have first crack at it unencrypted (I actually plan to release the whole thing unencrypted so people can use it to learn or whatever) and let me know what you think, or ways that would make it better before the real release.

@Ichigo - I plan on making the majority of the saving to happen at the colonies but I plan on having a few random saves throughout as well so as not to make it nail biting. Thanks for the comment.

7. AstoXx

First Language:
    Logic
    The only major distinction between a crawler and a rogue-like is one is first-person, the other is top-down. My points are valid, either way.

Be wary that those classes aren't just able to do what 2 can, but not as well. They need to have something unique to them ONLY, to entice the player to choose that class.

Maybe you could make class choice affect game route? So, if you're a rogue, ninja etc. you'll pass a locked door to go to F3, but if you're a warrior, fighter etc. you use a different exit that's blocked by a rock or something. There would be a lot of advantages to this approach...

You could reward the player with items more geared to his class choice and would allow for ultimate weapons to be more easily implemented.

You would be able to challenge the player much more effectively, utilising puzzles geared to their class. Monsters would have different tactics or there would be differing troops. For instance, a Warrior would encounter more enemies with high DEF because physical is what it does, maybe even counterattack. This means the player will need to fight smarter and utilise their class much more effectively.

It adds replayability to go through the game and try to finish it with all classes.

You can interact with the player in a much more focused and engaging way, thus enhancing the experience.

8. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for clarifying, I always thought rogue-likes were mostly text based, very random, and painstakingly difficult, with little to no saves.

Those are some very solid ideas thanks. I plan on making the classes balanced so there's no real class better than another. I may end up having certain areas only accessible with abilities from certain classes via puzzles, etc. thus creating a little more replay value as the player won't be able to access everything with one team. Thanks for the feedback! You'll definetely get a good spot on the credits. :)

9. Hesufo

Hesufo Homu! Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Hey Knightmare, nice to see your project in a thread finally. :D

Something I didn't comment on before, how is the CTB thing going? I've seen a few projects that have tried it to little success, so I'm rather curious.

Also, do you plan on having the Colonies change often as the player progresses into the game? Not just quests, but also, for instance, the colony itself (such as the buildings), inhabitants moving in and out, etcetera.

I'll eagerly await that demo.

10. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Hes - Thanks for visiting :) I'll be using Yamis' CTB with a few little tweaks so I think it will go well. As far as changing colonies I was going to do some minor changes throughout that way it encourages players to visit previous colonies to see how its changed. I wasn't planning on making it a big thing but I like the idea of changing buildings and furthering development so I'll end up toying with that idea, thanks for bringing it up! I'm already all into Ace and getting necessary resources put in and such so I'll begin on the actual game either tonight or tomorrow.

11. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE - After working on this game practically non-stop (clocking in about 50 hours of work right now) since Ace English was released I'm happy to say that the demo phase is on the horizon and I will be looking for testers very shortly and as soon as the pic/image upload issues I'm having gets resolved I will post screenshots. If all goes well the beta will be ready in 1-2 weeks. If anyone is interested in beta-testing let me know. Thank you.

12. Hesufo

Hesufo Homu! Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    You know you can count me in.

I will beta-test your game into oblivion. :ph34r:

13. AstoXx

First Language:
    Logic
    I'd be glad to give it a whirl as well. I hope one my project reaches near the demo phase, you'd be able to return the favour.

14. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Hes - I was hoping you would. You're in! Thanks.

@Asto - I was hoping you would also. And I'm almost always up to beta test someones project. So when you get there let me know.

When it gets to go time (1-2 weeks...unless something unforseeable happens) I'll PM you with a link to the project, and let you tear it up. I want the public demo to have the first 2 floors completely done as well as any kinks worked out, grammatical errors fixed, etc. The beta you'll get will have the same 2 floors. That should be enough to get a good taste of the game and what it brings. Thank you for your interest.

I'm still open to having one more tester so if anyone else wants in let me know.

15. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE - Edited first post (made some game changes) and added some screenies. I'm aiming for the beta to be ready next Monday on April 2nd. Also can this get moved to project development?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  16. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE - Edited first post, beta released to testers. Hope to have a public demo late this month.

17. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE - Demo 1.0 released! Also updated first post. Get the demo there. Can this get moved to project development please.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  18. AstoXx

First Language:
    Logic
    Man, all these exams stuff has been eating away at my time. Sorry I kinda fell silent for the second phase, Knight but boy howdy if I'm not gonna play the CRAP outta that demo to make up for it.

19. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Its cool. I know people have lives. Look forward to hearing your views on it.

20. Knightmare

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE - Ok this may be somewhat drastic but I'm changing the game quite a bit and its being revamped. I'm still working on it pretty heavily and it will still have the same concept but there will be some changes that I think will be for the better. There will also be more plot and storyline. Other changes will be reflected in the first post and there will be a new demo soon (~3-4 weeks) that will feature the new style and revamp as well as Level 1-4 completed and the first 2 colonies. It will be 1/3 of the completed game.