RMMZ Maze of the Lost MZ 1.03 First Half of Game Release (12/07/21)

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Demo 0.92 is out now.

Ok cool. Your EXP Levels for the end of Floor 2 are are about right also. Thanks for posting screens of the stats so I can see what people are doing for their builds.

100?! I definitely couldn't pull that off for how big the floors are. If they were like 50 x 50 then maybe but I would rather have a few large themed levels with some character than a bunch that are much the same. I think there's a game that did that and I kind of had fun with it but I lost interest after like Floor 30 or so.

Demo 0.92 won't have anything really extra for you to play through unless you want to see the ending demo message by trying to go to Floor 3 again and the cosmetic fixes to the Cutscenes or if you want to see if the Weapons and Armor Crafting work now.

Once I finish my playthrough tonight I will likely work on balancing and adding an extra ingredient to craft seeds and will probably play with that other method of Skill Learning and Stat Distribution which I should have out in the next 2-4 days so around Wednesday or Thursday.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Demo 0.95 is out now. Made a lot of little changes and one big change.

The big change is the Skill Buy system has been totally revamped to be more balanced and closer to the final and ideal system that will be in play, there will still be one more change with this eventually when the proper plugins are ported over. For now you start with 2 AP and you can either use those points to boost stats by doing 'class training' or learn a skill. The training and skill learning each cost 1 AP and you will get 1 AP when you level up and each boss will supply 1 AP also. This will make it so in most cases you'll have to decide between boosting stats or learning a skill.

The smaller changes are as follows, and I may have forgotten 1 or 2 as I did a lot of playtesting and tweaked things as they came up.
-Fixed various text issues and certain text not fitting properly.
-Gave pretty much every craftable item/weapon/armor one extra ingredient needed to craft said piece. Gave some items a lightly lower chance of being dropped by enemies. I may nerf this back a bit if items become too difficult to craft but it shouldn't.
-Fixed certain skill and item descriptions to show proper icons.
-Rebalanced some enemy skills, mostly by giving most of the enemy skills a charge time.
-Slightly adjusted the armor scaling parameters to be more balanced, this should result in less 0 dmg attacks from enemies if VIT stat is too high. Will try to fix the minimum damage not being 1 issue in the next update.
-Added in special crystals by the Level bosses for a chance to restore and save close to the boss.
-Changed the way throwing items cause damage by having them mostly do damage based on AGI and LUK to give LUK another use.
-Slightly redid some of the stats for shields.
-Redid the loot that locked and trapped chests would give giving an equal amount chance of getting a lower level weapon or armor and a higher level weapon or armor to give more variety.
-I know I'm forgetting a couple other things but I don't think they were too significant.

Hopefully this is a more balanced and fun playthrough whoever decides to play.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Demo 0.99 is now out.

-Scaled back the amount of AP gained per level to 1 instead of 2 and made it so each boss gives you 1 AP as well. This will balance it so it doesn't become too easy.
-Finally balanced out combat to where it is not too easy like before and is more challenging but not too difficult. Overhauled armor scaling and changed damage formulas to make it to where you can't overtank your characters. Changed some enemy stats slightly to reflect the changes. The whole feel of the game should now be tough but fair. This is the bulk of what was changed.
-Fixed a few more text and grammar issues.
-Added a couple more items that can be purchased at the Hidden Medal Shoppe.
-Added Minimap Capabilities.
-Added a bit more text here and there.
-Changed the way Teleports work, instead of requiring 1 Lorelite for each use it just requires 1 Lorelite to activate and can then be used as often as you want.
-I know I'm forgetting a couple of smaller fixes and changes.

Thank you for your support whoever plays this.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
UPDATE: I was made aware that my Itch.io links didn't go to the game and so I had to do a couple other steps before it was published. The itch.io links should now be working properly.

The next public demo and the next beta tester demo will likely be available next weekend. There won't be any mechanics changes this time around but just some basic small fixes, small grammatical issues, and balancing polish.

The Big Stable Beta 1.00 won't be released until a few other plugins are available so that becomes a waiting game and ETA for that is undetermined at this time but hopefully sooner rather than later. That will consist of a couple system and mechanics changes so that will change the game a bit and will corrupt old saves.

Thanks for anyone who tried the game.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey everyone. I know its been a while since the last update but Beta Demo 1.0 is now available, just check the OP and try the new download...

There have been many fixes and tweaks since the last version and the weird bug where there weren't any enemy encounters is no longer an issue. Balance will be closer to ideal but still a little on the harder side but that is mostly by design but I did make it a tad easier than before. Steal is now operational, Stat Distribution and Skill Learning is now operational. Cosmetics have been improved in several places as well as a few more grammatical issues fixed. Thanks to anyone who has given this a try and have either given feedback here or in PM. All of that means a lot to me. This version will be more enjoyable than the last.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
BIG UPDATE: Beta Demo 1.5 released

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the public demo very much lately. I have made many changes, improvements, and bug fixes in the last 2 months since the last demo release that should make the game an overall better experience.

This is a list of the bigger changes but this is not an exhaustive list as many other small changes were made.

-Using CTB battle system instead of ATB.
-Revamped some of the skills and made some of the ones that were not very valuable more valuable.
-Eliminated a lot of extra, drawn out, and superfluos text and "got to the point" a lot quicker so less reading needs done overall. The text should sound better overall.
-Battles should be more balanced and slightly on the easier side, especially Level 1.
-Revamped Weapon, Armor, and Accessory stats and prices to be more balanced.
-Increased Light Radius from all sources so the dungeons should be a tad easier to navigate.
-Removed Burn, Fear, and Crippled States from the game as they were not really needed.
-Increased EXP that enemies give you slightly, which will make for slightly faster Level Ups.
-Using a different Minimap Plugin that doesn't spoil secret paths.
-Redid some of the items that can be crafted.
-Added a Variable Window to the Main Menu which tracks some dungeon statistics.

I am confident the game will only get better over time so hopefully this will be more enjoyable to the few that are playing and following it. Let me know how it goes.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
UPDATE

I haven't posted or followed up with this in quite a while but just posting this to say that I took a small break starting in April or May going to about now due to real life issues (nothing too crazy, just less time to dedicate to hobbies in an already busy life) and a slight issue with where to go as far as story in the game (trying to decide between 2 different directions) and wanting to wait for certain plugins.

Now that these issues are mostly "resolved" (timing will still be a minor issue but I will definitely have a little more time than the last few months) I will be able to press forward albeit slowly.

All that being said...I had an internal "debate" on whether or not to make this a commercial or non-commercial game for quite a while and after thinking about it more I have decided to make it non-commercial for several reasons...

1. I realized due to the help of beta-testers and reading about gaming development in general that the gaming market is saturated and you have to kow-tow to "what's cool" and what's "in" in the gaming community in order to make it commercially and I almost felt like I had to change the core "vision" of my game in order to make it work.

In good conscience I just can't do that with this as this is meant to be a niche game that tries to tie in old-school methods with some modern quality of life improvements so there's some things that I won't be willing to do to make it commercially viable. Plus I basically want to make a game that I enjoy and let others just come along for the ride that enjoy similar things to me.

2. Due to this being a niche game I know I will not make much money on it if it were commercial and people will be unwilling to play as a result of there being a paywall, thus getting less exposure and less feedback.

3. I don't have the time, money, or resources to dedicate to make this super polished with custom everything and although quite a bit of money was put into this already I just don't think I can justify putting in anymore.

4. Times are tough for many and I don't think it would be quite right to charge even 4-5 USD for a game that is mostly using default assets and won't be as polished and "cool" as some would expect a game that costs money.

5. I can now work on this more of the way I want at the pace I want and not having to worry about overhead, timing, or changing too many things.

Before I release a new demo (which will be half the game and roughly 15-20 hours of gameplay) I still need to do a little updating of plugins and RMMZ versions. I'm about 75% done with the entire game but I won't release Demo's with any of the second half until the game is likely finished or almost finished.

ETA on the first half Demo is expected to be 2-4 weeks.
ETA on the finished game is TBD.

TLDR: I now have time to work on this again, still trucking along albeit slowly, game will be free and not commercial as I was previously leaning towards. New Demo coming soon.

Thanks for the few who like the game and may be following it or wondering about it.

Last edited:

tinkie99

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
UPDATE

I haven't posted or followed up with this in quite a while but just posting this to say that I took a small break starting in April or May going to about now due to real life issues (nothing too crazy, just less time to dedicate to hobbies in an already busy life) and a slight issue with where to go as far as story in the game (trying to decide between 2 different directions) and wanting to wait for certain plugins.

Now that these issues are mostly "resolved" (timing will still be a minor issue but I will definitely have a little more time than the last few months) I will be able to press forward albeit slowly.

All that being said...I had an internal "debate" on whether or not to make this a commercial or non-commercial game for quite a while and after thinking about it more I have decided to make it non-commercial for several reasons...

1. I realized due to the help of beta-testers and reading about gaming development in general that the gaming market is saturated and you have to kow-tow to "what's cool" and what's "in" in the gaming community in order to make it commercially and I almost felt like I had to change the core "vision" of my game in order to make it work.

In good conscience I just can't do that with this as this is meant to be a niche game that tries to tie in old-school methods with some modern quality of life improvements so there's some things that I won't be willing to do to make it commercially viable. Plus I basically want to make a game that I enjoy and let others just come along for the ride that enjoy similar things to me.

2. Due to this being a niche game I know I will not make much money on it if it were commercial and people will be unwilling to play as a result of there being a paywall, thus getting less exposure and less feedback.

3. I don't have the time, money, or resources to dedicate to make this super polished with custom everything and although quite a bit of money was put into this already I just don't think I can justify putting in anymore.

4. Times are tough for many and I don't think it would be quite right to charge even 4-5 USD for a game that is mostly using default assets and won't be as polished and "cool" as some would expect a game that costs money.

5. I can now work on this more of the way I want at the pace I want and not having to worry about overhead, timing, or changing too many things.

Before I release a new demo (which will be half the game and roughly 15-20 hours of gameplay) I still need to do a little updating of plugins and RMMZ versions. I'm about 75% done with the entire game but I won't release Demo's with any of the second half until the game is likely finished or almost finished.

ETA on the first half Demo is expected to be 2-4 weeks.
ETA on the finished game is TBD.

TLDR: I now have time to work on this again, still trucking along albeit slowly, game will be free and not commercial as I was previously leaning towards. New Demo coming soon.

Thanks for the few who like the game and may be following it or wondering about it.
Good luck looking forward to it mate.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
UPDATE

First half of the game released. Dropbox link in OP. Updated information in the OP as well.

This is still a WIP progress and still a 'demo' so there may be some changes made to the first half of the game on top of possible bug fixes before releasing the second half.

Thanks to anyone who gives this a try. I do appreciate it!

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I downloaded and began playing. As someone whose first adventure game was Wizardry, I will say that provoked the desired nostalgic effect. :) There are 2 things that may prevent me from pursuing the game.
(1) No option to enable dash (I don't want to have to keep shift depressed)
(2) No option for instant text
I just find it slow and tedious without these options. Other than that, the game seems fun. I did discover a quirk at the saving crystal, which seems like it may be a remnant of some testing/debugging for the dev. I'm not sure what keys I pressed. Probably involved the space key as I was trying to mash my way through the slow moving text, but I suddenly ended up Mid Camp (Lvl 7). I'm sure I'm not supposed to be there as the mapping passabilities and events are very incomplete. (I guess this is the 'Blue Ribbon' :p )
Also, what does "Recovers 80% of turn after use" mean (Reveal Skill)?

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I downloaded and began playing. As someone whose first adventure game was Wizardry, I will say that provoked the desired nostalgic effect. :) There are 2 things that may prevent me from pursuing the game.
(1) No option to enable dash (I don't want to have to keep shift depressed)
(2) No option for instant text
I just find it slow and tedious without these options. Other than that, the game seems fun. I did discover a quirk at the saving crystal, which seems like it may be a remnant of some testing/debugging for the dev. I'm not sure what keys I pressed. Probably involved the space key as I was trying to mash my way through the slow moving text, but I suddenly ended up Mid Camp (Lvl 7). I'm sure I'm not supposed to be there as the mapping passabilities and events are very incomplete. (I guess this is the 'Blue Ribbon' :p )
Also, what does "Recovers 80% of turn after use" mean (Reveal Skill)?

Thanks for trying it out! I had meant to include an auto-dash option but didn't get around to it. I just put it in now and I'll have it for the next version, so if you look in 'options' it should be there. As far as the text, there should be an option in the 'options' section to move it to 'instant.'

Lol, yeah, you're not supposed to be able to go there and that part won't even be in the first half of the game so I don't know why I didn't remove the maps after Level 6 but they are removed now. The strange thing is though....that there's nothing in the event that should even take you there! I'm assuming you're talking about The Colony crystal or the Level 1 crystal by the boss but I checked both events and neither one should've taken you there! I will have to see if I can duplicate it but it shouldn't even be possible unless there's some weird event clash with something else. EDIT: Found the culprit, it was the soldier by the crystal. Fixed. Thanks.

As far as recovering 80% of turn it means the CTB will reset to 80% instead of 0%. This is so you only sacrifice 1/5th of the next turn for that character instead of having to wait till the normal time the turn would take to come back to that character. Since it's one of those skills that are more utility than anything I wanted to have the penalty be very small for using it.

I'm going to release another version sometime in the next 24 hours. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: Version 1.01 released. Updated OP and download links.

-Fixed teleport blooper and removed maps not in use.
-Added option for Auto-dash.
-Fixed runaway text on NPC Gunther in Colony Living Quarters

Last edited:

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Level 3 has battle issues causing game to freeze/crash.

(1) At one point, my first player was stunned by the enemy and the game froze. I think it was a timing quirk, that the player started his 'windup' of the action, then got stunned and couldn't finish his turn. The game froze. Not likely you could reproduce that at will and probably the odds of happening are very low, but, nonetheless, it did happen.

(2) In a battle with 2 orcs, 1 lizardman and something else, crashed with
TypeError
Cannot read property 'note' of null

(3) Not sure which battle this was
Failed to load
img/pictures/../maps/BlackCircleRing.png
Edit-This error is related to the mini-map skill, not a battle.

And another freeze in Menu>Skills>Perks
Cannot read property 'isSkillLearned' of undefined Skill>Perk
This happened when I tried to look at the passive skills of one of my characters

Thanks for including the auto-dash and instant text options. :)

Last edited:

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Level 3 has battle issues causing game to freeze/crash.

(1) At one point, my first player was stunned by the enemy and the game froze. I think it was a timing quirk, that the player started his 'windup' of the action, then got stunned and couldn't finish his turn. The game froze. Not likely you could reproduce that at will and probably the odds of happening are very low, but, nonetheless, it did happen.

(2) In a battle with 2 orcs, 1 lizardman and something else, crashed with
TypeError
Cannot read property 'note' of null

(3) Not sure which battle this was
Failed to load
img/pictures/../maps/BlackCircleRing.png
Edit-This error is related to the mini-map skill, not a battle.

And another freeze in Menu>Skills>Perks
Cannot read property 'isSkillLearned' of undefined Skill>Perk
This happened when I tried to look at the passive skills of one of my characters

Thanks for including the auto-dash and instant text options. :)

Thanks for the report. I should have done more self testing before this release. I think when I upgraded the MZ version from 1.1.0 to 1.3.3 it must have caused more damage to the skeleton than I thought or could discover while testplaying Level 1 before release.

These should be easy to fix (hoping), so I'll have yet another version out sometime either today or tomorrow.

No problem on including those options. I know that some players have different preferences and as long as they don't ruin the game I'm willing to include them.

EDIT 11/18/21 - Maze of the Lost v 1.02 Released. Updated OP and Download Links.

-Fixed crash associated with viewing Perks.
-Fixed (probably) crash associated with Minimap Skill. (If this is not fixed I will 100% know what the problem is.)
-Fixed (probably) crash associated with enemy on Level 3.
-May have fixed Stun Lock issue but may need further testing and duplication.

Last edited:

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've been playing the latest build (v1.02), made it to Lvl 6 and am unable to continue. My characters are just double digits away from reaching Lvl 30 and each battle that would advance them to Lvl 30 crashes with

Failed to execute 'createLinearGradient' on 'CanvasRenderingContext2D': The provided double value is non-finite.

I'm fairly certain it has to do with reaching Lvl 30 because I've never had that error before and I can play earlier saves just fine. But once I reach that battle that would put me to Lvl 30, that same crash occurs.

MiniMap continues to crash with failed to load BlackCircle.png
Type Error Cannot read property 'note' of null

Nectar of Life - Failed to load audio/se/Recovery1.ogg

The Colony Inn - Once you travel to Lvl 6 there's an older woman who gives you a quest. I don't remember what the quest is. When you return to her, it gives Marian's face and dialogue ("Have you found my husband yet?")

There are also infrequent freezes during battle

---------------------------------------

Despite the bugs, the game is really well done. Each floor level poses different challenges, both terrain and enemy wise. There are so many different enemies that you'll never be bored in battle. The enemies complement their respective levels. The puzzles are challenging but not impossible. I like that there are reasons to return to a level to re-explore. The little mini-quests also make exploration more satisfying. I love how the characters in the Travellers' Inn are used to progress the plot and storyline. I'm really looking forward to the continuation of this game.

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've been playing the latest build (v1.02), made it to Lvl 6 and am unable to continue. My characters are just double digits away from reaching Lvl 30 and each battle that would advance them to Lvl 30 crashes with

Failed to execute 'createLinearGradient' on 'CanvasRenderingContext2D': The provided double value is non-finite.

I'm fairly certain it has to do with reaching Lvl 30 because I've never had that error before and I can play earlier saves just fine. But once I reach that battle that would put me to Lvl 30, that same crash occurs.

MiniMap continues to crash with failed to load BlackCircle.png
Type Error Cannot read property 'note' of null

Nectar of Life - Failed to load audio/se/Recovery1.ogg

The Colony Inn - Once you travel to Lvl 6 there's an older woman who gives you a quest. I don't remember what the quest is. When you return to her, it gives Marian's face and dialogue ("Have you found my husband yet?")

There are also infrequent freezes during battle

---------------------------------------

Despite the bugs, the game is really well done. Each floor level poses different challenges, both terrain and enemy wise. There are so many different enemies that you'll never be bored in battle. The enemies complement their respective levels. The puzzles are challenging but not impossible. I like that there are reasons to return to a level to re-explore. The little mini-quests also make exploration more satisfying. I love how the characters in the Travellers' Inn are used to progress the plot and storyline. I'm really looking forward to the continuation of this game.

Thank you so much for playing and giving the bug reports and feedback!
I know what the createLinearGradient issue is so that will be fixed in the next update.

I know for sure what the minimap problem is now but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that but I will have manually select what to include in the Deployed Project instead of just letting it 'remove unused files,' basically during playtest the minimap use is never an issue but only on a deployed project. That'll be fixed next update as well, or I will use a different minimap plugin.

The Nectar of Life will be super easy to fix so that'll be fixed as well.

I don't think I ever finished the old woman's quest dialog so thanks for that reminder. I should finish it next update.

I don't know what's causing the random freezes but I may have to play this on a deployed project myself instead of the playtest like I usually do to see what could be causing it. It could be an issue with the CTB System not playing nice with something so there's a chance I may have to change the battle system altogether or get rid of whatever plugin may be causing the incompatibilities. No idea for sure when that will be fixed as I will have to isolate the problem first.

After you beat the Level 6 boss and attempt to use the stairs from Level 6 to Level 7 the game ends with some dialog from me and that's the first half of the game, so you got super close and that's really cool. I should have an update in the next 1-3 days and you should for sure be able to finish Level 6 then, I'll most likely just edit this post when those first 4 issues are fixed.

Thanks again for being a dedicated player to this, I appreciate everything you said as well and this encourages me to try to spare more time to work on this.

EDIT 12/07/21

v1.03 Released...

-Fixed Minimap skill use crash.

-Fixed 'createLinearGradient' canvassing issue that would trigger trying to Level up past Level 30.

-Fixed Nectar of Life failing to load SE.

-Fixed dialog of old lady quest in the Inn.

-Added drops and 'steals' to Level 6 enemies (for some reason I totally missed this!)

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v
Well, I've got a party tomorrow, and my friends are coming over. I wanted to work a bit on the Fandom Scouts assets so I can be ready when that update arrives... in other news, Pizza Time Horror is getting a second teaser, and it shows Cabaret Helen's last performance before the location closed.
Also who used to be scared of Chuck E as a kid? I was! Now I love him!
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuzmitchoww