MBS - FPLE MV

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by  Masked , Feb 23, 2016.

1. Doktor_Q

Doktor_Q I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's not an existing feature, but it's technically possible for someone to add it. It wouldn't affect the sprites without a lot of extra work that might create more lag, though.

2. ruisu

ruisu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Dr Q, thank you for your modifications to this project. I found out that I can give events sprites from PNG files but said sprites are not going to appear in the editor, only in the game. I know I could animate the sprite of these events as normal, but I was wondering if animated GIFs could be used, so I tried them. The editor doesn't see GIFs, let alone animated ones. Do you happen to know why and if there is a simple way through scripting in which this can be changed? Also, do you think that the FPLE plugin would have a problem interpreting animated GIFs?

3. Doktor_Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    GIFs are much more complicated to read and process- it's not really a simple change. Not that it couldn't be done, I suppose, but it'd require someone to dig around in the plugin with a knowledge of image formats and how they're processed, and probably rewriting a decent amount of the image-related code.

4. Poupouille

Poupouille Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian, french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello:kaohi:

Is the plugin compatible with the latest version of MV?

5. piksalh

piksalh Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Lithuanian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tested, it works for me, but im using MBS_FPLE+DRQ version.

6. Poupouille

Poupouille Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian, french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What is DRQ version?

7. piksalh

piksalh Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Lithuanian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  8. BishoujoHelper

BishoujoHelper Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thinking of trying a single dungeon map from my current project in FPLE. One interesting quirk is that it was originally from the Bard's Tale Construction Set, so walls and doors were "free" because they were between cells. To convert that kind of map to RMMV, I had to expand a single cell to a 3 by 3. AFAIK it looks like doing it in FPLE is only a 2 by 2 expansion, and I only need 3 different types of cubes: a cube that's a standard wall on all 4 sides, one that's doors in all 4 directions, and an empty cube that still has a ceiling and floor. We'll see how that works out...

One thing I plan to change in the plugin for myself, maybe even figure out how github works and post it, is making the "down arrow" into a 180-degree turn instead of a move backwards, i.e. change the code after "Input.isPressed('down')" from "this.moveBackward();" to instead two of either of "this.turnRight90();" or "this.turnLeft90();", but the elegant thing is to allow this behavior choice as a plugin parameter.

Anyway, thanks to Masked, Doktor_Q and MORINGA and anyone else that's helped with getting FPLE as far as it has.

piksalh likes this.
  9. Doktor_Q

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BishoujoHelper If you're using my version, it should have a setup where holding ctrl lets you strafe- you can also expand that to include an alternate down arrow behavior (and use the this.turn180() or equivalent, since there's already a command for it in MV), so you can have backstep and quick-turn as options, if you want.

10. BishoujoHelper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Doktor_Q I put together a version of the plugin I'm calling 1.5.2 dated 2018-12-25 that included nearly everything I could piece together from this thread. The only things missing that I'm aware of are
    • the @MORINGA patch to make the <fple> notetag case-insensitive (I want to really understand what that RegExp is doing first, and I think RTFM is healthy for this plugin)
    • somebody proposed changing the default sky color to a user-specified number, which I would want to do as another plugin parameter and it seems simple enough for even me to do
    • the code that @norza provided on 2017-07-15 to address waiting to render until all textures are available - don't know if this is needed
    What I have in there now is using your code for page up and page down buttons to strafe/sidestep. Thanks for pointing out the turn180(), it's in rpg_objects.js. When I get a bit further with getting my own project events to work properly in FPLE I'll try putting it in at the same time as the sky color.

I can declare success in getting the demo project to work, even with my version of the plugin. One nice thing about converting a Bard's Tale-type map (walls and doors on the lines between cells) to FPLE is that I finally made a door event that doesn't require extra space on either side to work properly. RMMV apparently won't fire off an event if you push the player into its cell with a movement route and leave them there. So, in exchange for making doors one full cell thick, and movement consists of bumping into one then it opens and the player moves in one and stops, I can let the player move out of the door on their own, or even turn around or back up, and events on either side of the door cell can fire off normally. And the door event, although you can't see it from the FPLE perspective, is actually open until you leave and then it closes behind (or in front of, if you back up) you. Doh! Now that I think about it, I could use the same principle in regular RMMV too... Anyway, this lets me make Spinner events that actually mean something and don't trigger adjacent doors, and not have to put in extra walls so one trap can block two doors at once (long stories).

I suppose somebody's going to ask for my version of the plugin, but it's basically the same as @piksalh noted yesterday with a few typos fixed - nobody noticed the one almost at the end in the error message about the light color!

piksalh and Fernyfer775 like this.
  11. piksalh

piksalh Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Lithuanian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    AAAAAAA

@BishoujoHelper, would you... like to share your version of plugin with us?

EDIT. Wait, I don't understand. You said that you put everything together, but it's still the same MBS FPLE+DRQ plugin? The only change is one error fixed?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  12. BishoujoHelper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The only actual error that I fixed was an error message that nobody probably ever got, which was using the wrong text. Fixed up the text in the help section and prettified some whitespace in the code. But I did just add and test my "back up or turn around" parameter, so I'm willing to post the whole thing now.

Attachment is, as I said earlier, basically the last Masked version plus all known fixes and improvements from Doktor_Q and Masked, plus the transparency patch from MORINGA in case it helps. This plugin was tested and working with the FPLE demo project under RMMV 1.6.1, but as always YMMV.

Update 2018-12-29: Been converting existing maps to FPLE, and noticed an interesting graphical glitch if you use a parallax background to the map. Even if the walls keep you from ever seeing it, if you have a long enough distance (about 26 cells!) without a wall then the background will appear about 10 cells away. So don't have really long unbroken spaces, or don't set a parallax background unless you want to see it.
    There are other issues that I've encountered and am trying to solve, but at least that one I can just remove the parallax background.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Reckoner, piksalh and Thothdan like this.
  13. Reckoner

Reckoner Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm new to RMMV (& RPG Maker in general), and am considering using this plugin to make my first dungeon crawler.

Here are a few things I'm curious about:
    1) What are some of the current limitations?
    2) What's the max resolution for assets? In the demo, the horse is very low-res, is it possible to have more detailed entities?
    3) Can maps be taller than a single wall?

While trying to find more information on FPLE, I stumbled across this game. It was built in RPGM XP, but I'm wondering if it's possible to make a similar game in MV using the current version of Masked/Doktor_Q's plugin.

I'm having trouble finding media of projects using the plugin, if you know of any cool ones, please toss a link my way. :)

If you're knowledgeable about RMMV and FPLE, please get in touch with me via PM or add me on discord (Jesse#0911), because I'm willing to pay someone to help show me the ropes.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Thothdan likes this.
  14. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why is the demo a weird horse game?

[edit: I'm guessing the demo is broken? It's not in first person mode and the horse just runs around on its own.]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. Reckoner

Reckoner Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The demo should look like this:
    [​IMG]

BishoujoHelper and mobiusclimber like this.
  16. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It absolutely doesn't for me. XD Did you have to do anything special to get it to display like that? For me, it basically looks just like how it looks in the project: like a weird square with a top down horse and the whole thing moves by itself. I use the mouse arrow to click on the gate and hope the horse goes through it, then I click on the apple and the horse runs around the outer wall and gets it.

17. Reckoner

Reckoner Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmmm.. no, I didn't do anything special. It worked out of the box in RMMV itself, and also when I exported it to HTML5.

18. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wonder if it's bc I'm on a Mac? I dunno why that would make a difference but ... I can't get it to show up correctly no matter what I do.

19. erikmidnatt

erikmidnatt Mercenary Wizard possessed by an Evil Spirit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Being on a mac wouldn't make a difference (i run it on both).

The only thing I could think of is walking through all the setup steps to see if something is not configured right for some reason.

20. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, and I tried setting up my own game with this and didn't have any luck, but even the demo isn't in first person for me. Downloaded it, unzipped it and tried to play it. It's not deployed, but I also tried doing that and playing it that way, but it still wasn't in first person.