BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The box is just a few sections for now but im planning a stealth box section, sneaking up on guards is working 100% but i havent set up proper recording, im planning to make gifs to showcase.

masterlobo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this looks pretty dope, and great character designs btw <3

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
which plugins and/or what clever eventing powers your stealth system? Very curious how people manage to achieve stealth gameplay in this engine.

(also, THIS LOOKS GREAT, *FOLLOWS*)

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Event facing detection and proximity combined with an abs, but to "marry" both systems into an stealth-ish gameplay i had to come up with a parallel eventing logic that merges them and allows the player to stealth kill enemies while undetected or fight head-on, the choice is yours (sometimes) :kaopride:

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1640222949726.png
Few tweaks, new sprites, animations and of course a new mission!

Added sleep animation for special checkpoints in some longer missions to allow for a full recovery and optional save points:
fuY8hyg.gif

Added even more busts which match custom sprite behaviours in cutscenes, for consistency:

BVadZby.gif

New map! inspired by shadow moses from metal gear solid 1, for those familiar with the game only the first building is ready, up to the snowfield:
sm_docks.png
sm_docks2.png
sm_base.png
alert.pngsm_b1.pngsm_b2.png

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1645749073677.png

Demo release for version b0.8.4:

1645749174424.pngDemo is up for testing in Itch!

1645749186073.png
Stand-alone version of a mission from chapter 1 (estimated time of 2 hours of gameplay)

1645749350188.pngFeedback is appreciated please do remember the game is made as a showcase for graphical assets and edits but things like difficulty, mechanics and story is appreciated!

ScreenTYFP.png

Last edited:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
...You know why and how I'm here.
Don't worry, I have some legit feedback for you. Though I do need to preface it with, this is absolutely 100% not what I usually play because I am AWFUL at stealth shooter games! :D
  • Hey, that’s a neat little pulse effect when changing scenes! The little…hexagon flip things on the screen edge. Yup, I can words
  • Those custom balloon emotes are so cute!
  • I can drag the menu windows!!! This makes me happy for reasons I cannot explain
  • Your tubed cheese heals for more than your chips, but only costs 100 instead of 150. I consider this a very good thing for me. But you should probably know about it :3
  • Nice little sprite and VA on death. Let’s see how many phrases there are! For, uh, for testing. Not that I’m dying a lot or anything
  • Great atmosphere with the music, the lights (flickering lights in the house was a great touch). The flashlight on and off is great too
  • I can interrupt enemy skills - that is fun!
Even with my admittedly bad skills, I think those 3 unknown soldiers had a bit too much health for the first real boss fight in the game
Oh yah, I used headshot 3 times in a row, and they all missed.
  • The file when extracted doesn't actually have a ‘www’ folder in it – unless 9zip botched the extraction haha. No big deal
  • Your title screen still shows 0.8.2 :p
  • Second text box of the game, from Lira. ‘recieved’ should be received. Wait wait wait…I found a type. ME?! (I get told off so much by my beta testers for my consistent typos. Same typos. All the time. Yes, ‘recieved’ is one of them)
  • On the skills textbox, when I hover over knife slash and sudden death, the box appears above the icon, so the top goes off screen and I can’t read it. I can move the menu itself, so this isn't a massive problem. Though, in the same vein, some of the item and skill text gets cut off on the first line
  • Looks like weapon swap with ‘E’ isn’t working
  • OMG Sticky keys caused me to die on the first zombie! >.> J-just something funny
  • This is a game that could really benefit from having the tutorials accessible again
  • Does anything have different aggro ranges? Like, if I have my flashlight on, does that affect aggro range? Please make it so!
This is cool. You made a shooter game in an RPG engine, which is just impressive to me. The story may be simple (at least, thus far) but the writing is solid. Snake has a consistent personality that is pretty cute and dangerous at the same time.

Aside from the soldiers' health, I don't have anything bad per say. There are some bugs/issues that I found - the biggest in my opinion being the weapon swap command. I feel having a functional weapon swap in this game is critical! Once I ran out of ammo on my gun, I had to resort to throwing knives, since menuing to change guns took too much time, and I would die. If I had a quick-swap function, I could probably take those unknown soldiers! Plus a lot of healing items...ah-hem.

And again, this feels like a game that could really benefit from having the tutorials repeatable, and probably expanded on a little. I took me several deaths upon failure to fire my gun to realize...the ammo listed goes total, then what's in the clip >.> I-I thought it was 30 bullets in the gun, and I had 3 more clips of 80 available. So I'm standing there spamming shift, trying to attack, and then I die. You may laugh, once, at my demise.

Seriously though. Quick swap command. And I might stand a chance :yswt:
I'm gonna keep trying, because I'm genuinely having fun. I'll let you know if I make it past the unknown soldiers!

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the 3 soldiers you're supposed to start that boss fight by ambushing them with either a smoke bomb or a flash grenade , and they wont see you from the door entrance (up to the box) CQC stun can be helpful too, and as a reminder you can always go back to the weapons shop before that fight, i made people autosave at the door so they can go back just in case they went to a boss fight with low supplies :kaopride:

The quick weapon circle needs you to open the weapon menu hover over the desired weapon and press a directional arrow (right ones the default maker movement arrows) to assign it then you press E plus the desired quickslot i tested the game a lot on this working properly and it should :kaoswt2:

The cheese price is an unintended one will fix.

The tutorial is accesible but only in the main base(which you dont see in the demo :kaoswt2: , ill try to find a spot on the weapons shop for a tutorial reharsal.

The skill descriptions is a limitation on the ABS engine and im waiting on a fix from the plugin creator as the linebreaks are too short and text gets cut a lot.

Also thanks for the typo, i never for the life of me noticed it was written like that :kaoswt2:

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did! I threw a flash grenade to stun haha, but as soon as I started shooting, they all came at me! :yswt:

Ahh, so that's how quick swap works. Yah, def need a bit more on the tutorial side. Which feels like really odd advice to be giving!

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Flash grenade concussive stun should last for a long while (30s actually) unless you attack them as it has chance to break on damage, CQC stuns for 5s and breaks on damage but attacking a stunned target grants bonus damage...

Yeah im adding the infographics on the next patch.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will replay the demo as I just download it and see how many bugs/glitches
I can find for you, as Cythera said, she is superb in making typo's, but that
she found 1 is amazing though :D

nice job, will reply what i can find for you.

EDIT:
I got some issues (as I saw my arrow as well :D, but aside from that, here
are some issues found, as in the text box, I also saw a green stripe (tiny)
on the far right of teh text box, cannot say the issue from that.

here are some screenshots and short explanation.

At the start, there is a missing space (I might have reported this before, without images probably)
MG_1_MissingSpace.png

Also at the start checking, the [Basic] is behind "Static" or whatever it should be there, so [basic]
should be pushed down!
MG_2_Overlap.png

Even in the Inn, there is also that is jumps below it, instead "above it", so you might what to check
if the player is jumping to push the top below and than above if needed.
MG_3_Underneath.png

At the Inn first floor, it becomes below the toilet, which is weird looking.
Also the couch on the first floor on the right is fully walkable.
MG_4_Inn.png

This part is weird, after killing it and mouse over, shows FULL HP instead of 0/400 if it is dead.
so it might be a bug in the plugin you use.
MG_5_fullHP.png

I have seen this as well in a storage place and another spot, that you se a jump sign from the left or right
side, as you cannot jump it.

you should make a check here with facing direction to show it or not!
MG_6_Jump.png

also at the start point, 2nd corpse you see on the left, you can loot 500 credits, but after going into the building
of the arms dealer, and cutscene, this corpse give another 500 credits :p

but I Just killed the 3 enemies anf got the lab keycard I believe, but I dont know how to save though,
as I also glitch my way through a bit.

but it looks good so far.

see if you can fixed/change the above minor issues if you feel like too or keep it the way it is.
but fix at least the 1st image and the facing of jumping ig you cannot :)

EDIT 2:
Last few issues and beating the game, which has 2 small issues not on screenshot.

in the first boss room and getting the USB Drive, every door and passability to go under is the hair visible on both LEFT and RIGHT
side of the wall sticking out (there os an easy fix for those).
MG_7_Through.png

the next 2 images is after the lab boss fight I think to kill the 4:
both in the same map, which can be walked fully up, down, left right, as its fully passable.
MG_8_Through.png MG_9_through.png

the last 2 minor is saving the arms dealer and the person you saved earlier (killing or saving him).
and killing the 3 guards, after doing so, you cannot talk to them, neither above grounds or when the
ground is clear to get them, as this goes automatic, they walk 1 by 1 instead both together to the
chopter, but even the ladder is floating below the chopter (which you could extend a bit).

I also notice if you got the "research paper" and try to leave, it doesn't have a text, I need to search more,
in order you get the USB drive.
after beating the game, it's really nicely done.
it was fun to play @BK-tdm =)

Last edited:

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I reuploaded a version with tweaks and fixes based on feedback, the typo is still there, i realized after uploading :kaoswt2:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BK-tdm I'm so glad I stumbled upon your project! Just wondering, how far along are you in development?

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im not sure how "far" i am to be honest, the demo is 1 out of 6 missions that are playable to this date and i havent decided yet on the total number of them as the story arc is decided but not fleshed out in the in-betweens, id say the full version as of now should clock on the 7-8 hours of content and development is sporadic as this is a non commercial project intended as a sort of portfolio/showcase.

rpgLord69

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Played the demo. The controls took some time to get used to, because there were so many options, I died multiple times which was kind of frustrating, but then started to get the hang of it. Some random thoughts:

*All the MGS themed soundtracks sure bring back memories
*Was really missing someone yelling SNAAAAAAAAKE! after dying
*Nice busts
*Note to self: MUST NOT HOARD ALL ITEMS, BUT USE THEM IN TOUGH SITUATIONS
*I made a compromise and just hoarded all the money (and most of the items)
*The zombies seem more alert than the human guards, can't backstab them, they should hire those zombies as guards
*And hey, why can the zombies climb ladders!?
*A solid ABS system
*I'm kind of missing those random codec calls that MGS had (like maybe the captain could call you when you sleep on the job etc?)
*Not being able to enter or exit buildings when in battle can be pretty brutal. Like I entered that small building that had 3 zombies immediately attacking me and messed up some button presses when trying to use skills and they just murdered me, couldn't escape
*What's the purpose of that one button that transports you to the starting spot? I accidentally pressed it once when trying to open inventory and that was kind of annoying
*I'm glad I hoarded the items, because that first boss fight sure was tough...or maybe I should have just smokebombed them more times

*Some small errors I noticed:
-In the beginning there was a line where "yourspecial factor" was written without a space
-Weapon tutorial had "asign" without double S
-When hovering over a weapon with a mouse, the mouse button symbol covers some text
-Those locked doors sometimes glitch if I open them when it says that "need to get away from battle". Then even if I kill the enemy I can't enter them, before I enter another map and come back
-In one of the locked buildings outside there is a table next to a broken TV. You can walk on top of that table (and sometimes when entering my character appeared under the table)
-There are multiple instances where you can walk a bit into shelves
-When I died in the 3 soldiers boss fight once and loaded, it somehow "glitched" and those zombie bodies outside the room turned into some kind of floating skulls / some other things and moved around?

Anyway, it was a nice game when you got used to the controls, and I might play more later!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@rpgLord69 now that you mention on dieing on SNAAAAAAAKE, is something
that could be added, as she is a heroine?

but also a nice list, 2 things you mention is also on my screenshot list.

they say, more eyes are more bugs as they play differently ^^

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for taking your time to test my demo! Ill adress some of your points:
*Was really missing someone yelling SNAAAAAAAAKE! after dying
Tried it but a dialogue box doesnt have the same impact as a voice line so i just went for the game over scren and the custom death animation :kaoswt2:
*Nice busts
Glad you liked them, showcasing those and the custom rtp work is the main intent of the project :kaopride:
*I'm kind of missing those random codec calls that MGS had (like maybe the captain could call you when you sleep on the job etc?)
I skipped non mandatory radio/coded calls as i feel the info dump can be annoying to some so i dont know if people would enjoy more radio calls :kaoswt:
*Not being able to enter or exit buildings when in battle can be pretty brutal. Like I entered that small building that had 3 zombies immediately attacking me and messed up some button presses when trying to use skills and they just murdered me, couldn't escape.
Yeah you need to appy stuns (CQC skill) and items to some encounters, plus the abs system can glitch out of existence if i enable in battle transfers as per the system's creator advice so i opted out of it :kaodes:
even so, doors can be "re-opened" by pressing enter in front of it, i have a patch for doors i made in the main version so ill apply it retroactively so doors dont break when in battle :kaohi:
*What's the purpose of that one button that transports you to the starting spot? I accidentally pressed it once when trying to open inventory and that was kind of annoying.
That shouldnt be there it was a test teleport i assigned to test only the demo in the main game before splitting the demo into an stand alone project seems like it slipped! thanks for letting me know :kaoswt2:
*I'm glad I hoarded the items, because that first boss fight sure was tough...or maybe I should have just smokebombed them more times.
Smokebombs and flashbangs are the way to go! CQC stun and knife slash to apply bleed also helps, flashbang lasts 30 whole seconds if undamaged so you can stun and pick targets one by one :kaopride:

typos and collisions
Corrected those and are ready for the new version.

The mouse overlapping the item description is a pending fix, the map inverntory system is still in development as a plugin so im waiting on fixes.

The door glitching in combat was adressed above so ill just apply said patch in the eventing logic.

Didnt notice the table you mentioned in my 800 test playthroughs so thank you :kaoswt2:

The dead enemies walking thing is a bug on the ABS system, i already reported it and im waiting if there's a fix to it, it wears off on map transfer so i dont know if it could be manually patched.

All in all, thanks a lot for your feedback and time, hope you keep playing it as theres more content after the first boss encounter, difficulty ramps up a bit after that so be careful and please use the money to get some gear :kaoswt2:

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello @BK-tdm I decided to play your game after someone recommended it in another thread. :kaohi:

For reference, all of what I'm going to say relates to the copy of the demo you had available on your itch.io page. I got up to the triple soldier fight and had to stop because it seemed like I was softlocked into the room, so if you've released a different version then please direct me to it.

+ Cool title screen with all the binary.

+ Good custom sound effects. You don't know how much it influences how much I'll like a game when you get the menu sounds right.

+ That honeycomb transition when you move through rooms is SICK.

+ I like the custom art and our main character for obvious reasons. Likewise, I like all the custom balloons. Though I have to admit that her open chest military gear is completely impractical and silly given the situation. (Then again I like Kill la Kill and it gets away with worse.)

The fact bigger weapons are visible on your little character and the fact she gets into a combat pose when she pulls out a knife/gun is great, even though it's a small detail that might be overlooked.

+ It's... pretty much a giant Metal Gear pastiche mixed with Resident Evil, huh?

+ I do like how much is put into this ABS even though I don't normally like RPG Maker ABS. The ammo system and actually using the guns feels pretty good! The reloading is a cool FPS-like addition that makes it so you can't just spam shoot your gun.

+ ALSO THE FACT YOU CANNOT SHOOT THROUGH WALLS AND CHEAT. Very nice.

+ Small point, but I love how you have little icon balloons pop up when your character hovers over interactable objects.

+ Ooh, storage box mechanics. I also like the little inventory that pops up with I.

+ So I very much appreciate that states have a timer at the top right of the screen telling you how much you have left? That solves the ambiguity of overworld states and I'm tempted to put in my own version of this for my own games.

+ I do like that if you just charge into a situation with no planning, you WILL get shredded apart. Makes the stealth gameplay actually important.

+ The mapping is very good at setting the mood.

+ The plot did hook me towards the end with the intrigue with the doctor and stuff.

= I noticed we're using actual MGS music. Is that gonna be changed later on?

= There's a lot of hotkeys and I had to get used to which ones did what, because one of them reset the game for me. Good thing you have an autosave.

= Why does pressing L take you back to the start?

- So I noticed that there's no run button... boo.

- Not sure how I feel about the "it's basically just MGS but with a cute anime girl instead", since it takes a lot of elements almost directly (including the Foxhound logo). But I guess that's just the nature of transformative work.

- Please make the flames at the bottom of the map Direction Fix because when I interacted with them they briefly turn into a different sprite before fixing themselves.

- OOPS.

- Is the menu text supposed to be cut off like this?

- UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
What... the heck? Context: I saved in this room and reloaded, only to see the "zombie corpses" start MOVING and turning into different sprites OFF THE MAP. I think their programming borked out.

When I left the room and walked back in, they reset to their natural position and stopped moving. I... don't know what's going on there.

- I've heard of getting your head stuck in the gutter, but this is ridiculous.

- I don't... know what happened... but at one point during the boss fight, the damage/EXP numbers & messages started to scroll VERY, VERY SLOWLY and I don't know what caused it.

- Um. Oops? You can just walk up there if you head right/left. Maybe put some Same as Character events there?

- Speaking of that boss fight by the way, it was kinda scuffed. It was only really possible through taking advantage of the environment because they can't shoot through the boxes and the instant you so much as walked into their range they shot at you which was very fun to deal with.

I dunno, I didn't like it.

- I could not leave the boss room for whatever reason. There was no exit programmed.

Also... uh... when I pressed L to return to the start and I went back into the Inn, the entire event replayed... so that's the end of the demo, I guess?

It's interesting, but at the same time it's kinda like... if one enemy spots you, the rest never leave you alone.

Would have liked it if they forgot about your existence after a while like proper MGS, but I don't know how feasible that would have been.

Also, it seems to be impossible to actually sneak up on enemies. If I get too close they just automatically get aggro'ed. It's bizarre because they could be facing away from me and yet they still suddenly know I'm there.

I feel to really get the bang for your players buck, you have to implement line of sight so they can't see you unless they're facing you. That and a "they've lost sight of you" function.

The latter I at least know is immediately possible through Victor's MV version of Event Page Conditions and some variable work, but I don't want to impose.

Very neat, very cool ABS game. It's very cheeky with how it handles its parody elements and the gunplay/hotkey system is phenomenal.

The custom art is great, and it's overall a pretty good time. HOWEVER, there were quite a few clumsy elements such as a few minor visual glitches (one major towards the end, which is weird because it happens nowhere else) and the inherent jankiness of RPG Maker ABS.

I don't know what was up with the L button teleporting me back to the start, that didn't seem intended. However, my biggest gripe that that there's not really a "stealth system" per se - when you get too close to enemies, they automatically detect you which kind of ruins the whole "sneaking up behind them" aspect of the game. Kinda makes that one backstab skill useless.

I hope you can improve on this foundation because I see a good game that can become even better with time! Good luck for the future, BK :kaohi:

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RCXDan I know some of your cons pictures are fixed, most of them
aren't, but moving corpse is a new one though :p

while I checked mostly everywhere, probably not re-entering like you
did there, but you have some good catches =)

BKtdm will be happy on those ^^

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya @RCXDan! thanks for your interest and your playtime! you only got to a third of the demo though (there's 4 boss encounters).

As for the stealth thing, zombies cant be evaded, only human enemies are susceptible to stealth mechanics which will be encountered ater the first boss fight, i should clarify that somewhere :kaoswt:

Most of those issues were corrected in the next patch which should be up later today hopefully :kaoswt2:

There is a line of sight function for non zombie enemies, a maximum chase range (even for zombies) and a proper alert system in the main project thats being tested thoroughly.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

eris2.png
just 1 more then I'm done with these sheets *tears of joy*
Im free today . finally have some time to continue coding . yes!
Regret that I wasn't able to actually finish my igmc entry in time for the actual igmc. Will probably just offload it as a standalone thing.
I'm a master in procrastination and have finally decided to educate people in this art in a seminar in Calais. Please don't come. I won't be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuylar