Mechanics of the A1-3 Tiles?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by King_Tetiro, Jan 15, 2014.

1. King_Tetiro

King_Tetiro Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi guys,

I've been helping a friend on their project and I've run into something I need help on. I'll drop one of Celianna's tilesets to use as an example (They look great!)

[​IMG]

In RPG Maker, the tiles are 32x32. For each different wall type here, there are 4 tiles. Top left, top right, bottom left and bottom right. Typically there should be a top middle and a bottom middle. Therefore there should be 6 tiles instead of 4. So what I have assumed is that the A1-3 tiles are  special tiles in the manner that they are tiled differently as to how the other tilesheets are tiled.

Can someone enlighten me on this? Are my assumptions correct? It would be great to know how the tilesets work. And also, will it work if the walls are 3 tiles high instead of 2?

Regards,

Tetiro

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not only A1 to 3, but all A tiles have their own formats, which are different than the regular 32x32 format used for the B to E tiles.

The format descriptions are in the help-file.

The main problem is that a lot of functions are keyed to the position of the tile in the tilesheet.

For example on tilesheet A4, there are two different "wall"-tiles - the top walls (which are autotileformat 64x96 pixel structures) and the side/bottom walls (which are in 64x64 pixel parts) - and each of those is displayed on the editor meny as 32x32 pixels, using the hidden parts of the structure only when making larger walls on the map.

But yes, you can place two (or three or four) bottom-wall-tiles one above the other before topping the wall with a single top-wall-piece from A4. But you should know that those top-wall-pieces also have special passability...

3. Chaosgod_Espér

Chaosgod_Espér Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    German, English
    That´s not the only thing..

the floor tiles have fixed layering too.
    So the first floor tile on the Tileset is placed on layer 1 only, the second on 2, the third on 1, the fourth on 2, the next 5 are all 2 - and with the second row, it starts again with 1..

4. King_Tetiro

First Language:
    English
    I knew there were mechanics to the A tiles! Is there anyway to modify the mechanics? So instead of walls being 2 tiles high they are 3 tiles high?

If so how? It would really help with his project.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do you mean by that sentence?
    You cannot change the tileset behaviour, but even now most regular walls on the map are usually three or four tiles high - on the contrary it would look rather bad on the map if you use current tiles to make the walls only two tiles high...

6. King_Tetiro

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys, sorry it took so long.

Below is an example of how I want the tiles to work using Celianna's tiles as an example.

As you can see, the roof tiles are 2x2 squares, equaling 4 tiles. But what I want to do is have it so the roof tiles have 3x3, equaling 9 tiles. The same goes for the wall tiles.

Would this be possible?

[​IMG]

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You do not need to worry or to make such a change, just start mapping.
    The A4 wall tiles are autotiles - that means that they AUTOMATICALLY RESIZE to whatever size you map with them.

The very same 2x2 autotile in the A4-tilesheet will be used by the editor to create any wall size from 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 1x3, 10x10 or whatever you want - just start making the walls in the size you want them.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You draw it the way you want it. AUTOTILES means they automatically adapt themselves to what you are drawing.

Check the help file under mapping. It explains a little of how the autotiles behave.