Psyker

Degibeta Team
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've watched a couple episodes of Extra Credits explaining about villains. Below are both episodes.

Part 1

Part 2

Obviously, narrative villains fit right in with RPG Maker games but Mechanic villains can also.

Being a dungeon master a few years back, I find creating narrative villains easier then mechanics villains. I usually write up a back story on how and why the villain came to be and what their motives are no matter how crazy all while trying to ground their story into the world I'm creating.

What steps do you take to create the villain that is right for your game? Which do you find easier to create: mechanic or narrative?

Last edited by a moderator:

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I can't say that I've ever really made a strictly "mechanic" villain, but then I've only ever really done straight-up RPGs (video and pen-&-paper). I try to treat my game villains the way I would my literature villains, giving them a real, believable reason for being a villain.

Villains can be tricky. The natural instinct is to focus all our attention on the heroes we create, and their allies. Heck, even things like currency and language get more thought than villains in a lot of stories. But the villain is the reason the hero exists. Otherwise, he's just some guy with over-moussed hair. The villain is the driving force of the story.

(This is, of course, referring only to "Man VS Man" plots and not "Man VS Nature" or "Man VS Himself")

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I love it when a plan comes together, and especially when Ruby decides to work with me when I decide to code. :kaopride:
Got sick and had to take a few days off work in order to get tested and make sure it wasn't the big one. Felt a lot better today and thought to myself, "Hey now, I can't get tested until tomorrow anyway, I can get so much character art done today!"
....I watched Youtube and browsed this site for hours instead.
>.>
But at least I'm doing the art now! Yaaaaay.......
1638314262144.png
Didn't wanna spam the feed by posting Denzel's spritelayer separae, but I'm real happy with how this concept is coming along so wanted to share it, innit :D
EVXA wrote on Avery's profile.
Not sure how often you take time to play the games sent to you, but if you could give my game a shout & review on steam maybe that would be amazing, only if you like the game of course, I'd love to know which games have been your favorites over the years too.
I'm seeing my god daughter's school play next week. Being the mild agoraphobe I am this makes me nervous. Thus I had a dream that it was actually a plot by my best friend to take me clubbing at an establishment where it is customary to throw a harpoon at staff members to reward good service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abishkar