Psyker

Degibeta Team
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've watched a couple episodes of Extra Credits explaining about villains. Below are both episodes.

Part 1

Part 2

Obviously, narrative villains fit right in with RPG Maker games but Mechanic villains can also.

Being a dungeon master a few years back, I find creating narrative villains easier then mechanics villains. I usually write up a back story on how and why the villain came to be and what their motives are no matter how crazy all while trying to ground their story into the world I'm creating.

What steps do you take to create the villain that is right for your game? Which do you find easier to create: mechanic or narrative?

Last edited by a moderator:

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I can't say that I've ever really made a strictly "mechanic" villain, but then I've only ever really done straight-up RPGs (video and pen-&-paper). I try to treat my game villains the way I would my literature villains, giving them a real, believable reason for being a villain.

Villains can be tricky. The natural instinct is to focus all our attention on the heroes we create, and their allies. Heck, even things like currency and language get more thought than villains in a lot of stories. But the villain is the reason the hero exists. Otherwise, he's just some guy with over-moussed hair. The villain is the driving force of the story.

(This is, of course, referring only to "Man VS Man" plots and not "Man VS Nature" or "Man VS Himself")

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

All new MZ Weather & Title updates are also RETRO'able for MV! Updated RETRO project will be released on same day I'll release updated MZ demo -project!

retro.png
Just lost about half a day's worth of work because rpg maker crashed during playtesting and corrupted my file :kaolivid:
Boku.gif
advanced_puzzling.PNG
Having a lot of fun making different poses for my character sets! Open to suggestions/critique!

CSKttqh.png

AABS laser beams features:
1,Shoot penetrating laser beams for player's normal attack
2,Beam's width/damage/comsumes/loot can be controlled by events/variables with great flexibility
3,Beam can rebound to walls or certain regionID
4,Can play SE when shooting beams
5,Beam's images can be solid images or animated ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
POLk7