Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does it work in MZ? By way of FOSSIL or otherwise?
A comment on the plugin page at Hime's site said it works as intended for MZ, but I haven't confirmed it personally. As for FOSSIL, it isn't one of the Hime plugins listed as confirmed to be compatible, but there's a fair chance it will work. You lose nothing by giving it a shot.

Give me a few minutes, and I can quickly test it out in MZ.

@JamieSabriel Well, I gave it a shot. Seems like it works as is, no FOSSIL needed.

Last edited:

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
The Experience system is one of these things that I expect never to change from maker to maker and that probably went untouched from mv to mz. if rm2k was javascript based it would probably still use the same stuff lol

i mean, that's great -- unless there's new features there's no need to touch what's been working. kind of always wanted more in-engine control over experience, though.

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am making an oldschool inspired rpg. So a lot of these complaints are things I intend to have xD

But I have tried to come up with some compromises.

Random Encounters:
I will have overworld enemies in all dungeons that wont respawn. (Might have some way to trigger the respawn if you wish, might cost you something though.)

- There will also be roads on certain maps, the roads and the area around them are safe zones.

- Certain terrain like Cliffs will be low encounter zones.

- Will most likely have a Half Encounter item (But might have a drawback to it.)

Capture.PNG

Saving:
For the people with a ''life'' I will grant you a [Save Gem], a 1 use item which makes you able to save at any point. (Autosave if possible/a slot for itself). You can refill the gem at Save Crystals which will also be around, as well as being able to save when you sleep at a inn or any resting spot. No idea how to make that gem but I will pester the forum when the times comes xD

Open World:
I believe I will have mostly different small sized zones and focus more on dungeons and exploration within those zones. Pack them with possibilities and interaction. Unsure about a world map atm.

Puzzles:
I don't like em....They will mostly be optional. If I have any to progress they will be simple :p

RNG:
THERE WILL BE RNG! PRAISE RNG JESUS AND HOPE HE FORGIVES YOUR SINS!

Anyway... I will have uhh...Controlled rng if that makes sense. Items will have possible prefixes and suffixes but they will be related to the specific item. You get poisoned daggers but not poisoned axes. Stuff like that. Enemies will also have variants that can appear, that will alter how you fight them. Hopefully radically :p Not looked into what you can do with enemies yet.
Semi random loot. A chest might contain various items but all within the tier of the area etc. Rare items are farmable. The more powerful an item is the less likely it will have prefixes or suffixes (depends). They are already badass :p

Money:
Still working this out but I will have things to spend money on, that's for sure. Like oblivion, many stores will have Uniques that are expensive but powerful in a specific way. Also considering being able to create a guild which will cost money, but you can also earn money in the long run, an investment if you will.

Experience:
Wont have any...No levels. COMPROMISE! WHOO! :p

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Random Encounters:
I will have overworld enemies in all dungeons that wont respawn. (Might have some way to trigger the respawn if you wish, might cost you something though.)

- There will also be roads on certain maps, the roads and the area around them are safe zones.

- Certain terrain like Cliffs will be low encounter zones.

- Will most likely have a Half Encounter item (But might have a drawback to it.)
I'm just thinking, you'll have overworld enemies that don't respawn, and also a half encounter item?

Seems like that's be ... weird.

Do you just spawn less on the map the first time the player enters?
If I equip it, do some encounters just go poof?
Is it random which ones you remove?
Can I cheese this by quickly equipping the half encounter item just for the ones that go poof, and then re equip to something different once I'm past?

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm just thinking, you'll have overworld enemies that don't respawn, and also a half encounter item?

Seems like that's be ... weird.

Do you just spawn less on the map the first time the player enters?
If I equip it, do some encounters just go poof?
Is it random which ones you remove?
Can I cheese this by quickly equipping the half encounter item just for the ones that go poof, and then re equip to something different once I'm past?

Overworld enemies in dungeons. I just don't know what to call them, event enemies? Non random encounter enemies? Visible enemies? The point is that that will only be inside dungeons :p

The item will be pointless in dungeons ofc, It's more for traveling to the dungeons once you are ready. I'm thinking its more for later in the game though, when you have already been around. But still unsure about the whole thing as it will make the game much easier...

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Overworld enemies in dungeons. I just don't know what to call them, event enemies? Non random encounter enemies? Visible enemies? The point is that that will only be inside dungeons :p
Ah, so now I get it, the half encounter items only for the world map randoms, not the dungeon on screen encounters. Gotya.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Linear Motion Battle System
Month late. Thank god I'm not alone with this one.

They lack the fluidity of an action game, the precision of a fighting game, and the strategy of a normal RPG... including many well-implemented Action RPG systems.

I get they have fans, but I just don't see it. It's simply not for me.

Cymaiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Anyone who listens to me talk about JRPGs for any length of time will eventually hear me talk about my undying hatred for Active Time Battle. It is a ridiculous halfway house that fails to capture the draw of either turn based (to which I'm strongly partial) or real time combat and I haven't the slightest idea why anyone likes it. I once compared it to trying to dance while someone shoots at one's feet with a pistol and I stand by that analogy. While my favorite RPG is Final Fantasy VIII, that's in spite of it's use of ATB.

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Anyone who listens to me talk about JRPGs for any length of time will eventually hear me talk about my undying hatred for Active Time Battle. It is a ridiculous halfway house that fails to capture the draw of either turn based (to which I'm strongly partial) or real time combat and I haven't the slightest idea why anyone likes it. I once compared it to trying to dance while someone shoots at one's feet with a pistol and I stand by that analogy. While my favorite RPG is Final Fantasy VIII, that's in spite of it's use of ATB.

Funny you bring that up, because I actually tried to incorporate it into my own game to see how it worked... and I immediately trashed it because I did not like how it felt.

I like turn-based combat because there's so, so, so much you can do from a strategy/storytelling/mechanics angle with it. Not to mention you can track the passage of time more reasonably.

I like the way Chrono Trigger handles ATB though, primarily because you can choose whose actions you want to use (as opposed to having to go through everyone's actions one-by-one) and their enemy patterns actually make timing a real factor and not something arbitrary.

Cymaiden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Funny you bring that up, because I actually tried to incorporate it into my own game to see how it worked... and I immediately trashed it because I did not like how it felt.

I like turn-based combat because there's so, so, so much you can do from a strategy/storytelling/mechanics angle with it. Not to mention you can track the passage of time more reasonably.

I like the way Chrono Trigger handles ATB though, primarily because you can choose whose actions you want to use (as opposed to having to go through everyone's actions one-by-one) and their enemy patterns actually make timing a real factor and not something arbitrary.

While Chrono Trigger's battle system still gives me horrible anxiety, I can respect it for engaging the player strategically in ways that make it impossible to just go into auto-pilot. I've yet to see a use of ATB that couldn't simply be replaced with Conditional Turn Battle though.

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Month late. Thank god I'm not alone with this one.

They lack the fluidity of an action game, the precision of a fighting game, and the strategy of a normal RPG... including many well-implemented Action RPG systems.

I get they have fans, but I just don't see it. It's simply not for me.

The appeal is basically just getting to combo enemies to death in ways that few (if any) other JRPGs let you:

Linear Motion Battle System refers to being locked into a 2D plane with your enemy, so I don't see anything wrong with fluidity/precision/strategy inherent to that mechanic. It all comes down to the individual game and how that specific iteration handles everything. You could get a game in 60 FPS where everything smoothly transitions into everything with snappy dodging and a variety of buffs/debuffs that apply by doing specific actions. You could also get a game with a choppy frame-rate where there is excessive wind-up/recovery frames so attacks don't always flow together, limited defensive options, and little in the way of buffs/debuffs to consider.

Tales of Vesperia is a pretty good example of how divisive it can get. It did have excessive wind-up/recovery frames to all of its attack animations, but reduced that extra lag as characters gained Agility. Some attacks just do not flow properly into each other at all. There is little in the way of defense or non-attack options to consider. And a lot of people really love it because the mechanics evolve in a major way over the course of the game and it is up to the player to find the combos that work.

Some people actually prefer this to the newer Tales games and dislike that the series moved toward faster animations (less focus on getting around start and end lag), relied more heavily on timed dodges, and added more tactical mechanics for increasing your damage. So even among fans of the Linear Motion Battle System, you could have people that hate one game and love another even though they are 90% the same.

DrBuni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Re: Minigames

I read most pages of this thread (I think) last week or so, but wasn't able to get through every single one because it already took me several afternoons, haha. So sorry if this has already been addressed in-depth. But:

Why do some people seem to not like minigames in general? Does it depend on the type of minigame at all, or is it truly just in general? Because some responses have described things like shoehorning poker or sudoku into your game, which I agree is annoying (at least when it's not optional). But other responses weren't so clear, and I'm curious if they include more immersive/built-in minigames as part of their definition of those they dislike.

For example, the lockpicking in Oblivion and Skyrim are technically minigames. Fishing in Stardew Valley is technically a minigame. But they both blend pretty seamlessly into the overall theme and gameplay, and I like them because it makes me feel like I'm actually, interactively doing something rather than just pressing a button and watching the results happen.

Some people's distaste for minigames won't deter me or anything (so don't worry about that), but I'm planning on implementing some minigames into my game world for optional immersion. Specifically, they'll be interactive "campus jobs" to earn some extra cash, and will be only one of many ways to obtain money - just a totally optional alternative to grinding mobs for gold or making/finding items to sell, etc. I envision them fitting naturally into the rest of the game, such as a "diner dashing" type of event launching if you "clock in" for a shift at the café, or a "trace within the lines" minigame scene popping up if you take on a forgery job, etc.

So I guess I'm just curious, for those who generally dislike minigames in RPGs, if this type of minigame is included in that distaste?
My opinion is that if I buy a turn based RPG, is because I want to experience the mechanics of a turn based RPG. If I want platforming, I buy a platformer. If I want puzzles, I play something like Professor Layton (puzzles + fun stories and characters). Minigames only get in the way, always.

As long as they are completely optional, I don't mind them. But when it is a core part of the experience, it just kills it for me. Not a RPG, but a relatively recent example was Shovel Knight - King of Cards, with the card game implemented into the campaign. I just don't get why.

Anyways, you do what you think it is right for your project. Good luck.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
"To recruit this character, go to this place at this time without any party members, then come back with a specific party member but before this time, then come back again after that time with that character and watch some cutscenes. You need this character to continue forward and much of this isn't communicated in game."

Some games have terrible party recruitment requires. At the very least tell me how to do it instead of hiding it in a way that even trial-and-error can't figure out.

Zalzany

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
STRICT LINEAR GAMEPLAY: My thing is linear game play I get some parts you got finish what you just started. Or like prologe/tutorial phase. But I seen others I want wonder around go revist things, and there is no point at all of revisiting places once you did the things in that part, its like it should lock you from going back just to not waste you time. I like side stuff, yes this means you need a quest journal and not every one likes it, but hey its optional side stuff you don't have to do it.

I also like to go back to places and see how my actions changed things in game, if it lets me go back and I just beat a big boss there saved or damned them whatever. Its annoying when its either empty unless every one died or ran away, or worse when they act like nothing happened. Even something big didn't happen it would just be nice if the person I talked to hours ago for the questline recognized time has passed, and I am talking to them again, instead just repeating the last line they said to me. Or ignoring me.

PUZZLES: I can handle like one mandatory easy puzzle I mean its part of RPG genre you got do it at least once, but when its like 12 puzzles and some are crazy hard, like you got find notes and or do math its like no no, let me do like an int check to bypass that at least, I don't want to need a guide just to do the basic stuff in game I mean one for how to unlock something super rare or neat that is 100% optional is one thing. When I need a walkthrough just to do the main story with out hitting my head on the desk no. Or ones have easy puzzles but tons of them. Like one I played recently I liked everything but their obsession's with push the boulder puzzles they were not that hard to sort out, and seemed just to be put in the game just to kill time and make your play time go up, nothing more, nothing less.

Like I plan on a couple easy puzzles but I want satire some one making fun of it in my game, or a boss pointing out it was just put there to annoy and slow people down. I want it to have a point and its probably to make fun of those stupid puzzles lol.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I really dislike when you beat an enemy (especially a boss) but because a party member was KO'ed they don't get any of the EXP. It's like even though you won the fight you're getting cheated out of part of the reward.
That being said, it can depend on the game for me, like with Pokemon it doesn't bother me at all really, but when getting levels is significantly more rare or difficult it's just irritating.

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Read through this thread again to see what I can polish up on, since testing mechanics to answer most of what y'all say is a fun past-time of mine. Heck this thread is where the idea to use a visual order bar for my fights came from, and I genuinely can't imagine my games without it anymore.

Also because I love data collection. Crafting and enemy scaling came up as universal no-nos, and I've on occasion said "eff that" to both of them in different ways. Is the main reason why I say "synthesis shop" instead of "crafting" both because one word is less dirty than the other and because a synthesis shop is just a shop that uses materials instead of money.

--

In fact, I have a new pet peeve:

Equipment that becomes garbage as the game progresses. So what do you do about this?

A SOLUTION: Have the game scale up the stats as the game progresses so equipment with unique mechanics (absorption, defense against statuses, multiple attacks, etc.) don't get left behind.

Game example -- Kingdom Hearts Days has an "Ultima" ability addon for weapons. This addon increases the strength of all keyblades under 85 to add up to a perfect 100. If a weapon is already at 85 or more strength, then it provides a +15 bonus.

That as a more generalized (i.e you don't need to unlock it) gameplay mechanic would be dope as hell.

RPG Maker centric -- There's a function in one of Yanfly's scripts that made it so you can have variables increase the strength of weapons/equipments. So at certain intervals of the game, you can scale up the power of certain equipment to accommodate mid-late game enemy strength.

I can also see this being useful in reducing the amount of "early game" equipment that the player has to sift through, since if the stats scale then it'll be imperative to limit what's there. That and what the player gets needs unique properties to justify using a weapon that's slightly weaker than the other.

This has the possibility of making different shops around the world more unique and not just a continual upgradefest.

armor break/stagger mechanics.
cant damage (or only deal 5% damage) the enemy until break their guard or stagger them.
this mechanic was created with action games and doesnt translate well into other styles.

If it's for every enemy in the game then no thank you. I'd probably dump the stagger part of it too, since that's purely an action RPG thing. Doing no damage at all would also be a turn off too.

But there is merit in having some bosses that you have to break the guard of.

If done correctly, it prevents the battle from being "spam your normal attack" if your method of breaking the guard is to abuse the enemy's weaknesses. That or using a unique set up like soaking them (to make them weak to electricity) and then roast them.

Preferably both at the same time as different answers, given the context of whatever enemy you're fighting. The more answers you give your players, the more something like this can be salvaged.

Last edited:

IschmarVI

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Day-night cycles that exist mostly for the purpose of having a day-night cycle. All it does in those games is me having to wait a lot of time until certain shops open again. There is, of course, exceptions to that rule because a lot of games actually do something interesting with the day-night-cycle, but still. I don't like that mechanic very much. Or, if you really want to use it for the sake of using it, at least make the shopkeepers work overtime :p

Choices that don't actually do anything. Bonus points if the game has a "skip cutscene" option and every time a "choice" comes up, the cutscene skip stops and forces you to select a choice yes, I am looking at you, Xenoblad Chronicles X.

Long cutscenes right before difficult fights without an option to skip the cutscene in case you die during the fight. FFX Yunalesca, anyone? at least, that cutscene is one hell of a banger, so there's that

pretty much any type of wait-command / baseline-wait-process or anything else that makes menuing, interacting with the world or battles slower than they have to be. This also includes when the game comments every single thing that happens in the game even though you can clearly see it happen anyways (Pokemon does an incredibly good job at "not doing a good job at this").

And ... pretty much everthing that is in the game just to make it look bigger. Crafting systems that are not interesting enough to justify the time you have to spend with them, skills that are completely useless, Levelup-perks that do absolutely nothing sphero grid anyone?, the aforementioned day-night cycles if they don't do anything productive, disproportional amounts of "gotta collect/catch them all" (true to the idea "alright, now let's collect the 69 artifacts of "Sobeknerfu MCCCXXXVII", each of them located in funcionally identical dungeons with not enough variation to justify there being 69 of them ... and THEN we can continue with the plot"). Essentially games that have more playtime than content. It's like ... why do you make me play the game for 30 hours when I could do everything that I did in half the amount of time?

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Day-night cycles that exist mostly for the purpose of having a day-night cycle.
To expand upon this, replace the underlined with basically any mechanic. If something is only in the game because someone wanted it in the game and did nothing with it, then it is at best harmless (day-night cycle that only affects the colors on the screen and nothing else) and at worst actively detrimental (hour long unskippable cutscene that doesn't progress the plot or characters). I'd go so far as to even apply this to exploration or combat; if it's only in the game because "every rpg does it" but you don't actually do anything with it, then it is just padding. Although an rpg without exploration or combat is a bit hard-pressed to be called an rpg...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Watch Studio Blue play Numina by starlit in our latest RPG Maker Games Critique stream starting NOW!

Wish me luck. One of the leading experts on certain false shuffle is going to check if my skill is good enough to be called "not total trash".
Not an RPG Maker Update but I'm happy to say that I finally passed my drivers written test. Which makes me a happy guy.
FWRu-cYXkAAAUbl
Have you ever been in such a luck streak you felt fear something was wrong?
I'm going to be adding in combat animations, revamping the UI and putting in a new cutscene this week, so this is your last chance to play the MC:RIS demo in its original form! Say you were there since the beginning! https://qos.itch.io/infinite-sadness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Respec