TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
  • A puzzle that needs a walkthrough or a real-world note to solve and there is no way to skip them.
  • ATB with no pause.
  • Quick Time Event (Forgivable in action games).
  • Random Encounters.
  • Limited inventory for no clear reason.
  • Introducing the boss battle after 7 hours into the game.
  • Endurance boss battle. A boss battle that lasts quite long and there is nothing interesting in-between. Just waiting for me to make a blunder then failed.
  • Punishment mechanic. Includes low EXP gain if you farm in a low-level area.
  • Permanent/semi-permanent skill trees that in order to clear the game, you have to min-max (means, there is a correct and incorrect build). And you have to pay to respec.
  • Hitting the level cap before I clear the game.
  • An unwinnable battle that you have no idea about it. You have used items and you wasted them all.
  • Roguelike.
  • Savepoints (except if it is a remainder rather than "you can only save here").
  • An RNG that can't be manipulated (hit/miss, etc).
  • Convoluted stat system, worse if they use terms I'm not familiar with and there is no information about them anywhere.
  • Too much micromanagement (this depends on the game).
  • Naming a character without a character generator or a valid reason why I have to name my character (example of a valid reason: you're an agent and needs an alias name for yourself)
I probably have more.

The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
A puzzle that needs a walkthrough or a real-world note to solve and there is no way to skip them.
I've experienced a few of these before, and it's always got under my skin. A puzzle in a game should be solveable using information given in-game. You shouldn't need real world knowledge on a particular subject, especially if said subject is fairly niche, to solve it.

dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i hate grinding in games, first you waste your time on getting to strong, then the game is no fun after beeing to strong

a well balanced game doesnt allow grinding , and makes sure that getting exp is limited.. so that the games stays a challenge till the end

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But if I have a healer who is guaranteed to die first in every. single. battle... I'm going to be more than a little annoyed.
So...you don't like weak healers, hm?
May I introduce you to the 'healer' in my game? Highest base health, highest potential damage output, and at base stats with no equipment, your best tank? :ywink:

Shameless plug done, yes, the weak healer class is a MASSIVE annoyance for me. So you can heal. Maybe you can buff allies! But if you get smacked once, you die. You are nothing to me.
The healer class deserves so much better.

@TheoAllen Oof, so many of those points I agree with, I'd be quoting 95% of your post. Just reading them and reliving them in games made me angry. Biggest offenders there for me are the hit/miss RNG - at least let me influence it! Then I won't mind (as long as you balance it properly) and the unwinnable bosses that last just long enough you think you have a chance, so you use items! Why?! Block my items for the fight, or better yet! One-shot me! The fight is to display the enemy strength, right? So one-shot me!

The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
Another mechanic I dislike, which I used to see a lot of in older JRPGs - skills that debuff or apply some status effect, but it's not guaranteed to work. Why would I waste my turn not dealing damage just to make an attempt at applying slow or poison? I might do it if I knew it'd work, but the risk of it not working is too great for me to even bother with it. Oh! And these things rarely, if ever, work on bosses.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I hate the "none of your skills work on bosses" thing. Why would I spend all of that time training to use my skills effectively, to have the boss completely go back on it?

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Heroes that aren't old enough to move out of their parent's baby crib.

But that's a story issue. Gameplay... gameplay... hmmmmmmmmmmmm... oh, forced tutorials that explain the concept of HP.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Too many, more or less important, NSCs. I really hate the "Wheel of time" moment in a game, where someone you met 20 game hours ago makes a reappearance and I'm simply: "I guess I should know that guy...but..."

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That one archaic mechanic where dead party members lose out on EXP, thus punishing players for not fighting perfectly and/or not wasting their revival items. (Solution: Literally just remove the "EXP Gain" modifier from the Death state)

Boring tiered spells, where the only difference between them being "this one deals more damage, for a higher MP cost" and "this one is the same as the previous, but it hits all enemies." (Solution: Be creative)

On that note, Mage characters who can wield every element in the game, but there is literally zero difference between these elemental spells besides the damage type they can deal. (Solution: Stop mimicking Final Fantasy, its not a good role model for skill choices)

And on that note, generic elemental systems where the enemy weaknesses never change, or when the casters in question only have to spam their strongest skill to win. (Solution: Give your characters a skill rotation, please. Encourage the player to use different skills on each turn. Have the enemy dynamically shift their elemental strengths and weaknesses, either by their own hand or the player's choices)

Static bosses that throw the same skills at you throughout the whole fight. No gimmicks, no second phases, no customized AI to be seen, just a jumbled mess of skills that the dev haphazardly threw together and called a "boss". (Solution: An interesting boss can be as simple as giving it extra skills at certain HP thresholds)

Extremely limited MP, where the only means of restoring it is backtracking to an inn or using and item that is way too expensive. All that does is incentivize the player to NEVER use your skills. (Solution: Generosity is a virtue, and moderation is important)

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Going to reply to a few of these....
  • Naming a character without a character generator or a valid reason why I have to name my character (example of a valid reason: you're an agent and needs an alias name for yourself)
I probably have more.

I'm curious about why you dislike being able to rename your character. (Of course, I'm not going to remove the mechanic just because one person dislikes it; I'm just curious.) For me, it's something I generally like to see, because sometimes a character's default name just doesn't suit them, or the author's taste in weird fantasy names doesn't agree with mine :)

Another mechanic I dislike, which I used to see a lot of in older JRPGs - skills that debuff or apply some status effect, but it's not guaranteed to work. Why would I waste my turn not dealing damage just to make an attempt at applying slow or poison? I might do it if I knew it'd work, but the risk of it not working is too great for me to even bother with it. Oh! And these things rarely, if ever, work on bosses.

I have seen this done well, occasionally. In low-level or other challenge runs, where you have to come up with more out-of-the-box tactics than in normal play, sometimes a good strategy is to spend several turns attempting to apply a powerful status -- and the difficulty of getting it to stick is a necessary counterbalance to stop it trivialising the boss in a normal run.

That one archaic mechanic where dead party members lose out on EXP, thus punishing players for not fighting perfectly and/or not wasting their revival items. (Solution: Literally just remove the "EXP Gain" modifier from the Death state)

I also prefer for all party members to gain EXP, but then you have to find some other way for the player who wants to stay low-level as a self-imposed challenge to do so. There are a few different ways this can be done: have an equipment or status that removes or reduces EXP gain, or go with the FF9 system where bosses don't give EXP at all. (

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My list is long and varied.

Minigames
I know a lot of people like these, but every time I see them in a game I think to myself, "so instead of making a better game with more compelling mechanics... you designed a minigame. Instead of making your game more fun, you designed another game on top of it. Because you know your game is garbage and boring, you decided you needed to create another game to stick in here as if you're jangling keys at a 3 year old child."

I don't care if I'm alone in this line of thinking. Your game's quality instantly drops the minute you start adding in mini-games that take away from the core gameplay and core mechanics of the game. This is time wasted that could've been better spent somewhere else and nobody will change my mind on it.

How can I enjoy a game by a dev that doesn't even enjoy their own game? After all, if they enjoyed their own game, they'd have no need or desire to insert pointless minigames or Poker or what-have-you. So, if YOU find your game boring enough to do that... I'm going to skip your game and play one by someone WHO IS MORE FOCUSED THAN YOU ARE.

Crafting
Honestly, I've only played one game where Crafting was fun to me. Final Fantasy XIV. There's actually a purpose for it there... people will actually pay for low level equipment you've crafted... it can take skill to make High Quality equipment, and there's a clear sense of progression with it.

Every other place I've ever seen this implemented...

It's either useless or a grind-fest. No, I don't want to whack a rock 50000000000 times to craft all the things. Just... no. I'm trying to save the world.

Likewise, I REALLY wish games that implemented crafting systems would do something else:

LET ME BUY THE CRAFTING MATERIALS. Look, if I want free materials, I'll go get them. If I don't want to bother with that step, let me just freakin' buy them. I'd rather buy the 30 bear pelts than farm bears for them. Especially since without such a system you are REQUIRING me to go back out into the world and waste time to do it. Grinding for no reason.

Oh, you have a crafting system in your game? Thanks for the ENFORCED GRIND! I hate it. Please remove it.

On Screen Encounters
Ah, more "enforced grind"! LOVE IT! Thanks, I hate it.

So, rather than random encounters, I now HAVE to fight every single encounter on every single screen or I have no hope of being leveled up enough to defeat the boss! THANK YOU OH SO MUCH FOR THIS GRACIOUS GAMEPLAY DECISION.

Can I turn off the on screen encounters? No? No item or anything to turn them off entirely if I don't want to deal with them? You mean the devs who put on screen encounters into their game don't really think much beyond "rule of cool" and don't make them full fledged systems? Who would've thought!

I have no doubt that on screen encounters could be done well. In fact, I know how to do it if I ever decide to create such a system (or rather, I have a pretty large list of things it needs to do in order to drive player engagement and to remain exciting through the entire run of a game).

The problem is... I've thought harder about it than most people who implement it have and most people who implement such a system seem to be as lazy as possible in its implementation.

Monsters have simple move routes. Simple AI. There are no rewards for avoiding all the combat (thus, nobody really ever does). Gameplay tends to be super easy anyway, so there's no threat from the monsters. Monsters don't interact with the environment or each other. No skills a player can use to interact with the monsters in order to avoid/evade them. No way to respawn the monsters short of going off screen and coming back on, so grinding for levels is a pain (or money... or items...). List goes on and on. Some encounters are "forced" upon you to ensure you're the correct level (narrow hallways and no way to escape it! HOORAY! May as well be a random encounter at that point).

Basically, these are a mess. Too many lazy devs implement this, do nothing interesting with it, and then unilaterally declare it "better", when it's just as bad as random encounters... Except in every random encounter system I've ever played there are freakin' options to turn combat off. Usually in the form of an equippable item. No such luck with On Screen Encounters. Which, honestly, tends to show you how hard a dev thought about it when they implemented it (not at all).

If a dev doesn't think a core gameplay mechanic through enough like encounter style, I shudder to think where else they've cut corners.

Stat Based Gameplay
If I can break your game just by leveling up enough... you have a bad game. Nothing more needs to be said. Rely more on mechanics and gimmicks in combat than on stats. If you rely on stats, I'm going to easily break your game.

Pro tip: This is why Dark Souls ends up being difficult. It tends to rely on your skill rather than your stats (mostly).

I am not a fan of being able to break your game in the first 2 hours of gameplay and never having a decent challenge again. That's not to say I want to bust my brain constantly, but do enough to keep me engaged and not watching Netflix.

Probably why I prefer FPS combat over RPG combat. At least FPS combat requires I pay enough attention to aim... keep track of my ammo... and enemy positions. RPG's on the other hand just require me to glance over every once in a while to see if I need to heal.

XP Scaling
Stop this. I mean it. This is the silly "stop gap" that really uninventive devs use when their combat system relies on stats. Basically, they know their game is easily broken by having too many stats... so they limit how much you can level up to prevent you from breaking their game. It's creating a new problem to solve the initial problem.

You know what I do with systems like this?

Power level.

I ignore every single fight that I can and obtain equipment. Equipment is going to be the single largest factor in how powerful I am. Once I can no longer progress (because a boss wipes the floor with me), I find a spot I can kill maybe half a dozen enemies... bring me up to "max level" (or enough to beat the boss) and then curb stomp the content and move along.

XP Scaling systems ensure I engage with your combat AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. After all, what point is there in killing the Dragon if it only gives me 30 XP per kill? Especially since I likely need exponentially more XP to gain the next level than I needed from the previous.

You're gimping your own game by doing this. Fix your combat system, don't scale your XP.

Worthless Money
Please stop giving me a ton of money and nothing to spend it on. If you keep influxing my inventory with healing items, I never have to buy them. If you keep restoring my HP/MP automatically, I never have to do it myself. If I only get 1-10 new pieces of equipment every town, then I have more money than I know what to do with.

This is a major gripe I have with the Zelda games, but it also annoys me in RPG's. If I can't spend the money you're giving me, then it's not much of a reward, is it?

Oh, thanks for the 2 million gold! Too bad it's worthless because there's nothing to spend it on! Thanks for a boon of nothing and a worthless chest! Can we swap out the 2 million gold for a chest that has a piece of equipment in it instead? At least the equipment would be useful to me.

Hit Sponges
Your boss is not more interesting because it will take me 50 turns to kill it. It's BORING as a result. Once I figure out the mechanics and what I'm meant to do in order to beat it... the fight should be over quickly.

I have never wanted to spend hours fighting a boss. I've never wanted to endlessly repeat a pattern until something finally dies. Why do you INSIST on wasting my time?

Let me put it to you this way:

If your bosses in your game work like they do in Hollow Knight... you've got bad boss design on your hands.

Every single boss fight in Hollow Knight has the exact same issue for me... They're a fight to stay awake. Sure, the first few losses are exciting as I learn mechanics and experiment to figure out how to counter whatever they're doing. THIS IS GOOD. The bad part comes when I master the mechanics... and still need to land FIFTY OR MORE HITS to win the fight... at which point my getting bored and complacent will make me lose more than not knowing the mechanics.

If I know what I'm doing, the fight should be over quickly. It shouldn't drag on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on just because you're terrible at your job.

I have no desire to execute the exact same set of moves 10+ times in a braindead fashion in order to win. To be honest... I already won the fight the moment I figured it out. I won 3 executions ago... but you're requiring me to do this 7+ more times because.... who the heck knows? I won already, but your game is slow to catch up!

Now, look, if you want bosses done well...

Super Metroid.

Pretty much every single boss in that game has a "quick kill" method (other than Ridley, I think) so if you knew what you were doing... fights were over quite quickly. If you didn't... they dragged on. This is how you design a boss fight. Your RPG bosses should be no different. In fact, any boss in a game should be no different.

Multi-Form Bosses
No. Look, I beat your boss once. It was boring and terrible the first time. Now you're going to make it "change form" under the misguided assumption that it's cool? Or interesting? Or more challenging? No.

You couldn't make one boss fun and interesting, and now you're going to drop a second one in here on top of it? Or a third?

Why is this a hit sponge gauntlet all of a sudden? IT'S DUMB.

If you make a good final fight WITHOUT a form change, THEN YOU DON'T NEED THE FORM CHANGE.

I am not keen on playing the dev's version of Dragon Ball Z where they go, "It's not even my final form yet! I'm going super uber mega galactic saiyan now and my power has increased 3,000,000 fold!"

Look, in real life, if I were in a fight like that, I'd just be like, "fine, you win. This is tedious as crap. I'm going home to eat some freakin' chicken. Blow up the world if you want, at least then I no longer have to deal with you."

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Straight up upgrades, I think it takes away from the core concept of an RPG. I don't like it when town 1 has sword 1 and town 2 has sword 2. And the only thing changing is the attack value. I'd prefer to have an assortment of items, accumulated throughout the game, where every item might still be useful.

That's why I have about 100 different weapons in my game, hand crafted, and there are some items that are straight up better. But my playtester used the first sword he found for a good 6 hours, even though finding other weapons, just because it truly fit his playstyle.

It's also why the equipment select compare screen in my game looks something like this:
1637009809397.png

Hidden stats. Despise it... If I get 3% crit chance from anything, I want to know that. I want to be a calculator when playing turn based roleplaying games.
I agree with this, and I will add the other side - too much information in skills. If I'm looking at a description and it includes the entire damage calculation formula and 5 different icons of elements and parameters that are related to it...that's not useful. I should know what it does, but know it at a glance.
Hey, woah, woah! I hate hidden stats, I don't know if that's what you're going for. But if say, and ice sword can cause freeze, I want to know the proc chance, the duration, the various effects arising from the state etc. But there is a difference in having access to and having it thrown in your face everytime you're going through your skills.

Do you enjoy hidden stats? :p

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Agreed, to an extent. In my opinion it depends on the state. I think an effect that can incapacitate would be overpowered if it had a 100% chance to succeed. Then again, I think this should be achieved through enemy state resistances rather than a straight up 100% apply.

But I am also okay with state effects that are instant, meaning you don't waste your turn. Then the decision is tactical in the terms of mana cost, or similar, rather than, like you say, wasting an entire turn. When a fight lasts maximum 10 turns, a single turn is to important to risk losing an effect.

Edit: Oops, accidental double post... Sorry.

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
  • PTB. Press turn battle. No no no no NO. NO. NO. I instantly despise any game that uses PTB. No exceptions. It's unbalanced, it forces the player to have specific setups if they want to win, and if they don't, good luck getting a turn. And some games do this 'fun' thing to 'balance' their PTB where enemies have a null or all element that always counts as an effective element. I guess some people enjoy this combat system (otherwise it wouldn't still be used) but nobody in existence will ever change my opinion of this...thing.
PTB isn't unbalanced, it's extremely volatile. not the same.
the battles are always one sided but you have access to the exact same abilities as the enemy, it can't be unbalanced in that way.

as far as my pet peeves confusion can go away and confusion that can use items can die in a ditch.
durability is also garbage. can't wait to never use that cool weapon I want to keep around.
old school spell slots are trash too. MP is a superior system.
and MP scarcity is just as bad, having 3 fireballs for a whole dungeon ain't cool.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, woah, woah! I hate hidden stats, I don't know if that's what you're going for.
No it's not. There's a difference between hiding a stat and exposing the game's calculations to me.
But if say, and ice sword can cause freeze, I want to know the proc chance, the duration, the various effects arising from the state etc.
And all that is appropriate information for, say, your equipment screen, not when I'm trying to efficiently decide which skill to use in combat.
But there is a difference in having access to and having it thrown in your face everytime you're going through your skills.
Exactly :smile:
Do you enjoy hidden stats? :p
Not with a lustful fondness. But some of what you say is going too far for me...I'm happy if "the enemy has a high chance of being frozen for several turns" - I don't care if the chance is specifically 72% and the duration is 3-5 turns. That degree of information doesn't have any further impact on my decisions, so it's just extra words taking up space on the screen :wink:

Unless you have two ice swords that are otherwise identical and one of them has a 72% chance to freeze and the other has 83%, in which case we're getting into The Stranger's complaint with unnecessary variable stats.

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ehhh, I had a feeling @Tai_MT would show up here! ^-^
  • Mini Games: I half-agree. Some mini games are shoehorned in or are copy-paste of other games' mini games. Fantasy world RPGs that suddenly have casinos with slot machines? Seriously, this bothers me haha. If you want mini games, make them match your world! Give them a place in the world you've made. When well done, mini games can add emersion. I think the reason people hold them in distaste is because we see too many poorly-done ones that have no place in the established world
  • Crafting. Yup. Pretty much. Unless I'm playing a survival game, if you make me craft, give me options. Sometimes I don't mind hunting enemies or gathering resources. But please just always allow players to buy the more common crafting items. It gives a use for our gil, gold, gems, credits, etc that we inevitably accumulate millions of by late-game. And this is coming from a player who LOVES crafting haha
  • Stat-loading is always bad; be it for players or for enemies
PTB isn't unbalanced...
the battles are always one sided...
With respect, I feel you just proved yourself wrong lol. If battles are always one-sided, that meets the definition of 'unbalanced'.
Unbalanced according to google: not keeping or showing an even balance; not evenly distributed
Now I know literal definitions and game definition's aren't the same. But if, in a boss fight in an RPG, the boss had a clear cut advantage - the battle was one-sided in their favour, we'd call that unbalanced. And if it was one-sided in player favour, we'd call that unbalanced. Because neither side has a chance to make up for their shortcomings or mistakes. Having the same abilities as the other side doesn't automatically make it balanced. One side may never even have the chance to use those abilities.
Still, if you enjoy PTB, go for it! I'll stick with literally any other system :)

The Stranger

No Longer Active
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
Fantasy world RPGs that suddenly have casinos with slot machines? Seriously, this bothers me haha. If you want mini games, make them match your world!
It wouldn't even be hard. I mean, it's not as if gambling is a modern invention. People have been playing various games of chance since time immemorial. Dice have been around for God knows how long, and I imagine other games have a very long history, too.

It is weird finding a casino with slot machines and bunny girls in an otherwise typical fantasy land. Bonus points if this weird casino is in the middle of nowhere. xD Though, I wonder if anyone has ever had a bit of fun with this weirdly out of place casino before? Maybe had it be a dimension hopping casino or something.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ehhh, I had a feeling @Tai_MT would show up here! ^-^

Hey, any opportunity I can air my annoyances with modern RPG's and the reasons why I rarely even get halfway through them without being bored out of my mind... I'm gonna take it.

I'll take it and hope some devs are taking notes so they don't make games that are boring halfway through.

That is the worst thing any game can be. At least if you have a bad game, you can still sort of enjoy the terrible-ness of it and learn some lessons. You can sort of have fun with it.

But, a boring game? What do you do with a boring game except turn it off and never think about it again?

For me, if you're designing video games, you should take a page from Fallout Boy:

"I don't care what you think as long as it's about me."

• Mini Games: I half-agree. Some mini games are shoehorned in or are copy-paste of other games' mini games. Fantasy world RPGs that suddenly have casinos with slot machines? Seriously, this bothers me haha. If you want mini games, make them match your world! Give them a place in the world you've made. When well done, mini games can add emersion. I think the reason people hold them in distaste is because we see too many poorly-done ones that have no place in the established world

Here's the major issue with Mini-games in most RPG's:

They typically add nothing to the experience of the game itself. As such, they're typically time sinks that exist for no other reason than to get the player to put more pointless hours into a game that they were probably not having much fun with until you gave them a new game to play.

Does Tetra-Master add anything to Final Fantasy 9 (or any other FF game it's in?)? If you just removed it and all its mechanics, does it hurt the game at all?

What about Chocobo Racing?

Blackjack?

Crane Game?

Weird Logic Puzzle games?

Can you remove mini-games from these RPG's and lose nothing? If you can... then why does it exist in the game to begin with? Especially when it removes focus from the main point of the project? If you could take the 200 hours that were allocated to staff to design some Casino area and allocate that time and budget towards refining the game itself or its story or characters... Which of these is better spent time?

From my perspective, there really isn't a mini-game that has added anything to an RPG for a very long time. I've seen them all, already. Done them all. They're boring wastes of time. Or, worse, they're necessary wastes of time with things locked off behind them.

I have to play Voltorb Flip? WHY? Man, I liked Red/Blue better where I could just BUY my freakin' tokens. Why can't I do that here? Oh, no, gotta play Voltorb Flip instead!

Oop, there's an achievement for playing and winning a bunch of games of Caravan! And winning at all the casinos! Let me hop right on that! Caravan rendered most of Fallout New Vegas a freakin' cakewalk due to how easy it was to win and make money and made my "Survival Mode" run trivial in comparison (I didn't even learn how to play Caravan until my final run because I didn't want to bother with a stupid mini-game).

Look, if I want to play cards... I'll play cards instead of your RPG. If I want to play Sudoku... I'll do that instead of playing your RPG. On and on and on and on. I'm playing your RPG because I want to experience RPG MECHANICS. Combat, story, characters. I am not here to futz around trying to collect monsters so they can be turned into stronger monsters that I can fight that will drop me rare items. Just... what? I'm not going to drop all engagement with your characters and story because I have a weird desire to do some racing (if I do, I'll turn off your game and play Mariokart instead).

There is nothing new or interesting that Mini-games add to the RPG Market and hasn't been for at least the last 20 years. They were a novelty once... the novelty has worn off. Now they're tedious and a waste of dev time. Dev time that could be used to fix some of those game breaking bugs... weird graphical glitches... clean up spelling/grammar errors, fix portions of the story, resolve plot-holes... further refine combat mechanics so they're fun instead of grindy...

Instead... we get "Here's a Poker Mini-game at the Casino!"

If I want to gamble, I'll do it in combat. Or rather, I'll play an actual gambling game rather than one that's tacked on to another game.

• Crafting. Yup. Pretty much. Unless I'm playing a survival game, if you make me craft, give me options. Sometimes I don't mind hunting enemies or gathering resources. But please just always allow players to buy the more common crafting items. It gives a use for our gil, gold, gems, credits, etc that we inevitably accumulate millions of by late-game. And this is coming from a player who LOVES crafting haha

I don't like to grind for materials in most games (even in Minecraft). The issue I tend to have with most crafting systems it that this is the norm. Cut down 50 trees. Refine the logs into planks. Use the Planks with Metal Bars that you had to refine from Ore that you had to dig up... to craft a single weapon.

It's just... tedious.

I'll craft with what meager materials the game gives me just through normal gameplay, but if I'm short on anything, I'd rather buy it and craft it immediately. I don't want to go through twelve stages of refinement and looking up recipes and selecting ingredients and.... no.

I want Sword A. Give me Sword A. I don't want to jump through twenty hoops to get Sword A. Why can't I buy Sword A? Why do I have to craft Sword A?

Crafting just causes weird amounts of bloat for no good reason.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm curious about why you dislike being able to rename your character. (Of course, I'm not going to remove the mechanic just because one person dislikes it; I'm just curious.) For me, it's something I generally like to see, because sometimes a character's default name just doesn't suit them, or the author's taste in weird fantasy names doesn't agree with mine :)
It is not completely "my own". If there is a default name, I would just use that default name. If we are going to communicate with other players or the developer, we are not going to use our character name. But the default character names. So I prefer to stick to them despite how weird is that.

Meanwhile, in a game with a character generator, I can have a moment of "Look, this is my character and this is how he/she looks". I even have a whole template for this (and the list is growing now).

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
With respect, I feel you just proved yourself wrong lol. If battles are always one-sided, that meets the definition of 'unbalanced'.
Unbalanced according to google: not keeping or showing an even balance; not evenly distributed
Now I know literal definitions and game definition's aren't the same. But if, in a boss fight in an RPG, the boss had a clear cut advantage - the battle was one-sided in their favour, we'd call that unbalanced. And if it was one-sided in player favour, we'd call that unbalanced. Because neither side has a chance to make up for their shortcomings or mistakes. Having the same abilities as the other side doesn't automatically make it balanced. One side may never even have the chance to use those abilities.
Still, if you enjoy PTB, go for it! I'll stick with literally any other system :)

if we duel with guns one will die and the other be untouched. is that unbalanced to you even if we use the same guns?

like I said, volatility and balance are completely different things.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The only time my brother shows me any kind of support is by liking or LOL my Facebook Comments.
I finally finished the Coliseum for my game. Love how it looks. Credits for the assets goes to Kokoro Reflections, @Starbird_Resources, and @megumi014.
Colossuem.png
Mimics! Mimics everywhere!
Pirate portrait quickie :LZYcheeze:
pirate.png
My game has a (much needed) tutorial now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightTenko