Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cythera Well, I mean... yeah. They are a smaller group of people though too. Not to say they don't deserve a better deal on the whole thing, but it's always been weird to me that there's all these crazy systems and random crap in games like Pokemon that exist SOLELY for such small minorities of players... and then that these systems are basically geared around making the experience for this small group of players... LESS FUN.

@LordOfPotatos Well, to be fair, the last "challenging" Pokemon game I've played was probably Gold/Silver/Crystal. They've gotten progressively easier from there. The systems in place have never really had much to do with the difficulty of the PvE content at all. Well, okay, some of this stuff has probably made PvE content in Pokemon VASTLY EASIER. Not even intentionally, either.

Short of running into the Elite Four in the new Diamond/Pearl games, they've been "easy mode" for me. The only reason those guys weren't "easy mode" is because of some crazy RNG crap and that the mons being used were somehow one-shotting my team despite having 5 levels above most of them. So, a lot of "the game is basically cheating" or "these guys are specifically designed to have attacks that are highly super effective against most of what you'd throw at them". I ended up just "resetting" fights until the RNG wasn't screwing me over so that the fights were fair... and then I won them easily.

But, I mean, the Natures, IV's, EV's, and even Abilities never played a factor into whether or not I won those fights. The biggest factors for winning those fights were:

1. Didn't get critical hit.
2. Exploiting Type Advantage with STAB for one-shot wins so AI couldn't "set up" buffs.
3. Whether or not I ran out of PP for moves I needed to win.

I mean... when the biggest factors to whether or not I win a fight is "do I have enough PP?" instead of 5 other random systems? You sort of have a problem here.

It also doesn't help that Natures and Abilities in the PvE content are basically... meh. Most simply aren't that useful or interesting. The stat buff/loss from Nature isn't enough to shift balance in the PvE content. The Abilities themselves really only help for "niche" combat. Or, rather, "gimmick fighting". Which... serves no use against PvE content and really is only useful against other players and whatever the "Meta" happens to be.

There's a lot of work that has gone into these systems that basically only affect a very small group of players.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I swear natures and abilities are cool.
They are cool, especially abilities, and especially if you could do something like switch them around in a pokecenter (something I've seen in an RPG based around saving people stranded on an island). Pokemon is just a heavily flawed series. It has so much depth for a game that says 'pick weakness move to win' that also isn't built for having the moves be balanced between PvE and PvP. I'm also pretty sure the main series has probably every mechanical issue I've talked about in this thread.

Ouro

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. I don't think having random abilities and stats are a flaw at all. Pokemon and Darkest Dungeon are both games where you can (and will, depending) get multiple copies of the same character. That's the whole point of that slight random variance.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Clarn Hold
(No storylines)
There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymouss