RMMV MechScape- DEMO 2.2 RELEASED, TESTERS NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by MechScapeZH, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

[​IMG]
    DEMO 2 RELEASED!!! DOWNLOAD IT NOW VIA THE LINK BELOW!
    MechScape is a retro sci-fi 1990s-styled RPG-lite game based on my webcomic of the same name inspired by the comics, games, and cartoons of that era.

Gameplay consists of slideshow-style text/picture segments detailing the story with RPG combat segments scattered throughout. Although the player character- named as SecurityBot in the game’s menus, but nameless within the game’s universe- starts off with only one ability, it can gain more by copying Skills from its opponents. These form the entirety of SecurityBot’s arsenal- unlike other RPGs, every Skill SecurityBot uses costs Skill Energy (akin to MP in other games), and there is nothing resembling a cost-free “Attack” option. In accordance with this, you can recover Skill Energy when you run low on it. Skills are both vital for progressing in the game and serve as MechScape’s main collectable.

MechScape tells the story of a long-dormant robot that awakens in a dystopian world conquered by a computer virus and its journey to escape an abandoned laboratory while being guided by a mysterious voice. Urged on by the being speaking to it through its radio, the robot traverses the alternate dimension contained in electrical systems known as Cyberspace. Along its journey, SecurityBot will come into contact with the inhabitants of the laboratory and be forced into conflict with the Viruses that now rule the planet. Fortunately, SecurityBot has been built to assimilate the Skills of these creatures and delete them. Thus, this lone robot forges on- in search of what, it does not yet know.

The game is illustrated almost entirely in CGI, and the graphics are designed to resemble those of game consoles from the late 1990s-early 2000s in keeping with MechScape’s retro styling (some of the icons are still using the placeholder graphics that came with RPG Maker, but I hope to remove those soon). It is written in the style of the era as well, reflecting the type of dialogue and plot that was common in sci-fi stories of the time. I hope that this will lend it a nostalgic look and feel.

Below is a link to a short proof-of-concept demo adapting the first few chapters of the comic. I am posting it here in order to get feedback on how to make the game better. I hope you enjoy, and any feedback would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

SECURITY BOT

Our Protagonist

[​IMG]

A near-ancient robot awakened in a distant future.
    Its stasis pod prison shorted out by a chance rainstorm, the Security Bot emerges to find an abandoned laboratory before it and a mysterious voice giving it instructions. With no memories logged within its system, the Security Bot has no other choice but to obey this commanding figure.

This robot is equipped with only the most rudimentary of sentience. With no emotional data, it is not programmed to feel as a human does. Instead, its programming gives it the ability to enter the Cyberspace within electrical systems and delete the viruses that call it home. Perhaps it was designed with such a purpose in mind? Only time will tell.

ENIGMA

The Cyborg Scientist

[​IMG]

Once human, he created the Security Bot and many other robots

The man who now calls himself Enigma was one of Earth’s top researchers before the emergence of the virus. Seeking to destroy the virus and secure the planet as humanity’s domain once more, he created the Security Bot to combat its threat. However, the virus discovered his plan and sealed him away in his laboratory before he could finish building and activating his creation. To survive, he rebuilt himself into a cyborg.

Enigma has replaced his right arm with a mechanical claw, perhaps as a mocking imitation of some beings in the army of the virus that drove out his people. With it, he can interface with mechanical devices and control them from a moderate distance. However, his greatest asset is his mind- Enigma’s expertise in the field of robotics is matched by few. Although he has managed to hold on, trapped as he is, the long years Enigma has spent confined to his laboratory has driven him a bit batty… just a bit. The activation and retrieval of his Security Bot gave him his first hope since his imprisonment. As its creator, he holds absolute authority over the Security Bot. He acts sincere, but who knows what he may be planning?

THE VIRUS

Conqueror

[​IMG]

Digital Entity Who Rules Earth
    Its origins unknown, the Virus descended upon the planet long ago, bringing life to humanity’s mechanical servants. Turning their own technology against them, the Virus drove humans off of Earth and claimed it for its own.

Other than its life-giving ability, the Virus’ true power has not been revealed.

THE VIRUS’ ENFORCERS

Infected Robots Programmed to Seek and Destroy
    [​IMG]
    Servants of the Virus

These robots, two of many, were built for industrial purposes. The red being was intended to chop down trees with its axe-arms, and the orange being was to excavate artifacts with its drill-arm. They worked alongside others like themselves for several years. However, when a computer virus caused Earth’s robots to come to life, both were turned against their human masters as part of a vast army. Now, they act as the virus’ underlings, patrolling the abandoned laboratory that belonged to the humans they once obeyed.

Other than being rather sharp, the Enforcers’ appendages carry an electrical current that can short out other robots. Unlike others in the virus’ army, they have been modified to be able to access Cyberspace to travel more effectively across the virus’ territories. Although the Enforcers are both agile and powerful, their electronic brains are simply designed, affording them little intelligence and resulting in their mechanical speech pattern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  2. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    I've been working hard on the next demo, and I thought I'd share some of what I've been working on in order to get some feedback on it.

Here are some screenshots, although they don't have their associated message boxes added yet-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you're curious about what's going on here, the comic version of MechScape's next chapter is already finished. You can find it at https://mechscapecomic.wordpress.com/the-comic/ and read the next chapter of the story before the game version is finished.

I've also decided to post a side-view battler for one of the viruses that'll be appearing in the next demo.
    [​IMG]

I'd love to hear your feedback on both this update and the first demo!

Biestmann likes this.
  3. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (A minor) UPDATE!
    Still working hard on Demo 2! Since my Wordpress site isn't getting as many views as this thread, I thought I'd repost some of the content that can be found there. To start with, here's a bio for MechScape's player character:

SECURITY BOT
    Our Protagonist

[​IMG]

A near-ancient robot awakened in a distant future.

Its stasis pod prison shorted out by a chance rainstorm, the Security Bot emerges to find an abandoned laboratory before it and a mysterious voice giving it instructions. With no memories logged within its system, the Security Bot has no other choice but to obey this commanding figure.

This robot is equipped with only the most rudimentary of sentience. With no emotional data, it is not programmed to feel as a human does. Instead, its programming gives it the ability to enter the Cyberspace within electrical systems and delete the viruses that call it home. Perhaps it was designed with such a purpose in mind? Only time will tell.
    Again, I'd love your feedback on the first demo- I haven't received any yet. I want to make Demo 2 the best it can be, and that means putting in what the players want. :smile:

Biestmann likes this.
  4. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (Another minor) UPDATE!
    Some more viruses that players will be facing in the next demo...

[​IMG]
    The Leech drains the energy of other beings via the light emanating from its eye. However, it is ironically vulnerable to its own Skill- grab its power for yourself to turn the tables on this floating menace.

[​IMG]

Muckbugs camouflage themselves in the digital dirt, lunging at uninfected passerby. Their Skill is useful if you can Copy it, but that may prove difficult while surviving their onslaught.

[​IMG]
    Those facing a
    Muckdweller are in a sticky situation indeed. These viruses weaken their foes with hacking routines that dampen their abilities, allowing their allies to deplete their Energy. They appear to have some sort of symbiosis with the Muckbugs, as they almost always appear together.

As always, your feedback is appreciated!

Biestmann likes this.
  5. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    After quite a bit of work, I've managed to get Demo 2's main new feature, a runner-esque minigame, functional! A video demo featuring the minigame, the new enemies posted in previous updates, and the music of @Eric Matyas is below...

I'm getting close to finishing the game's second chapter, and I'd love to edit the first chapter (available to download at the link in the first post) according to your feedback. :smile:

Biestmann likes this.
  6. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unfortunately my eyes have grown very sensitive over the past few years and are not able to handle a project this colorful anymore. But I think it looks very unique, and very interesting. So stick with your vision, it has a lot of charm!

7. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much! Actually, you're not the first person to tell me this- since I do not have sensitive vision myself, I'm having trouble pinpointing what exactly is causing the problem. Is it the bright colors, or is the scrolling animation too fast?

8. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sure different people are sensitive to different things. In my case, screen flashing and bright colors will cause me sickness. Even just scrolling through your pictures causes slight distress to me. I don't think you have to make extensive changes based on physical impairments like mine, however, as they aren't the norm. If I were to say in terms of colors, the great amount of green and the light blue certainly are the greatest offenders to me.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  9. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I feel the need to change something. You're the third person to say this, so it can't be that uncommon, and I want everyone to be able to play my game without any distress. The screen flashing effects are placeholders (I still need to finish a few animations). I just darkened the green in the background as a test:
    [​IMG]

Is this better?

Thank you for your feedback. :smile:

10. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oof, I don't think so, no. I know the color green is associated with cyberspace, but you might want to consider going with a dark blue for it instead. It will be infinitely easier on the eye.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  11. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's funny that you say that- there's a draft of these graphics where I consistently depicted all Cyberspace as blue.

I just did another edit-

[​IMG]

Does this look better?

12. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, that's a lot better. I can tell immediately by a lack of reaction from my body. I'd reduce the saturation just a bit further, which also will allow your moving elements to pop more in response.

13. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like this?

[​IMG]

14. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's a bit much! It's fine for it to have a bit more color to it.

15. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

16. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It works for my eyes at least. Be sure to ask the other people too.

17. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I definitely will. If I get the OK from them, I'll put an option in the game ("Do you have sensitive eyes?" or something) that will replace all the green backgrounds with dark blue. (Since as you said, green is associated with Cyberspace, I don't want to remove it entirely.)

Thank you for your help- I'll make sure to put your name in my credits. :smile:

As an aside, I just looked at your game via the link in your signature- it looks very interesting, and I'll make sure to give it a try & give you some feedback in return. :smile:

18. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please, I didn't do much. I think an option like you suggested is a great feature to have. I won't say no to you trying my game!

19. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    But you did! Before you helped me, I didn't know how to solve the problem, and I was acutely aware of it. :smile: Besides, your game just looks like something I'd want to play. I've loved dungeon crawlers for quite a while. (...I blame Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. ) I'll have my feedback ready sometime soon- I'd play your game today, but to tell the truth, 90% of the programming in the video was done today, and I'm very tired. :guffaw:

20. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    I just finished editing the new minigame so it doesn't bother sensitive eyes. (Thanks @Biestmann!)

What's been changed:
    -The background has been changed to dark blue.
    -Animations that applied a flashing effect to the whole screen have been either changed to flash only the target or reworked entirely.
    -Several animations that flashed the target a bright color have been changed to a darker color.

Demo 2 should be ready soon! :)

Biestmann likes this.