MechScape- "EARLY BIRD PRICE" IN EFFECT | DLC IN DEVELOPMENT

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by MechScapeZH, Nov 22, 2019.

1. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    ENTER CYBERSPACE
    [​IMG]
    A sci-fi RPG that evokes turn-of-the-century nostalgia

MechScape is an all-ages RPG designed to embody the unique “cyber” brand of science fiction of the late 1990s-early 2000s in both its art style and its dialogue style. Mechanical beings, a post-apocalyptic setting, and of course, cyberspace- it’s all here!

Experience an intriguing story illustrated in a retro style

At some point in the distant future, a Security Robot is revived due to a freak accident. Urged on by the mysterious being speaking to it through its radio, the robot traverses the alternate dimension contained in electrical systems known as Cyberspace. Along its journey, Security Bot will be forced into conflict with the Viruses that now rule the planet. Fortunately, it possesses the ability to assimilate the Skills of these creatures and delete them. With its mission thus, this lone robot forges on- in search of what, it does not yet know.

The saga of the Security Bot is illustrated in a retro low-poly style that perfectly emulates the early-3D look of video games released in the 64-bit/fifth generation era.

Copy the abilities of the hostile creatures you meet and use their powers against them

To delete the hostile Viruses that it finds itself facing off against, the Security Bot must copy their Skills. This power is the basis of MechScape’s core gameplay feature- the ability to duplicate the abilities of your opponents and use them as your own. To win, you’ll need to gather Skills and use them in a strategic manner- no mashing “Attack” here!

“Early bird price” in effect

For a limited time, you can grab MechScape for only $4.99! When you do, you’ll get all of the DLC that’s currently in development for FREE! This limited-time offer ends when the first DLC pack is released. As a bonus, you'll even get three wallpapers!

PLEASE NOTE: Some with sensitive eyes have reported difficulties adjusting to the bright colors in the game. If this applies to you, please change the font and window color in the options menu or turn down the brightness of your computer screen if necessary. Please do not continue playing the game if you find that you have difficulty processing the colors it contains.

I hope you enjoy the game!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SECURITY BOT
    Our Protagonist

[​IMG]

A near-ancient robot awakened in a distant future.
    Its stasis pod prison shorted out by a chance rainstorm, the Security Bot emerges to find an abandoned laboratory before it and a mysterious voice giving it instructions. With no memories logged within its system, the Security Bot has no other choice but to obey this commanding figure.

This robot is equipped with only the most rudimentary of sentience. With no emotional data, it is not programmed to feel as a human does. Instead, its programming gives it the ability to enter the Cyberspace within electrical systems and delete the viruses that call it home. Perhaps it was designed with such a purpose in mind? Only time will tell.

ENIGMA

The Cyborg Scientist

[​IMG]

Once human, he created the Security Bot and many other robots

The man who now calls himself Enigma was one of Earth’s top researchers before the emergence of the Virus. Seeking to destroy the Virus and secure the planet as humanity’s domain once more, he created the Security Bot to combat its threat. However, the Virus discovered his plan and sealed him away in his laboratory before he could finish building and activating his creation. To survive, he rebuilt himself into a cyborg.

Enigma has replaced his right arm with a mechanical claw, perhaps as a mocking imitation of some beings in the army of the Virus that drove out his people. With it, he can interface with mechanical devices and control them from a moderate distance. However, his greatest asset is his mind- Enigma’s expertise in the field of robotics is matched by few. Although he has managed to hold on, trapped as he is, the long years Enigma has spent confined to his laboratory has driven him a bit batty… just a bit. The activation and retrieval of his Security Bot gave him his first hope since his imprisonment. As its creator, he holds absolute authority over the Security Bot. He acts sincere, but who knows what he may be planning?

THE VIRUS

Conqueror

[​IMG]

Digital Entity Who Rules Earth
    Its origins unknown, the Virus descended upon the planet long ago, bringing life to humanity’s mechanical servants. Turning their own technology against them, the Virus drove humans off of Earth and claimed it for its own.

Other than its life-giving ability, the Virus’ true power has not been revealed.

THE VIRUS’ ENFORCERS

Infected Robots Programmed to Seek and Destroy
    [​IMG]
    Servants of the Virus

These robots, two of many, were built for industrial purposes. The red being was intended to chop down trees with its axe-arms, and the orange being was to excavate artifacts with its drill-arm. They worked alongside others like themselves for several years. However, when a computer virus caused Earth’s robots to come to life, both were turned against their human masters as part of a vast army. Now, they act as the Virus’ underlings, patrolling the abandoned laboratory that belonged to the humans they once obeyed.

Other than being rather sharp, the Enforcers’ appendages carry an electrical current that can short out other robots. Unlike others in the virus’ army, they have been modified to be able to access Cyberspace to travel more effectively across the virus’ territories. Although the Enforcers are both agile and powerful, their electronic brains are simply designed, affording them little intelligence and resulting in their mechanical speech pattern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canini, Hyouryuu-Na and Biestmann like this.
  2. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And bought! I am happy to see this journey come to a close for you and to see for myself what the full version of MechScape has to offer. You'll probably be taking a break from making games for the time being, but know I'll be there for whatever the next project is, MechScape-related or not. Once again, congratulations! You've worked hard!

J-G and MechScapeZH like this.
  3. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much!! Your support has made it possible- without you, it just wouldn't have happened.

And thank you for your generosity- you've done so much- you didn't have to do that! All I can say is that I hope you enjoy the game- it exists thanks to you.

As for taking a break... honestly, no. I thought about doing it- I actually did take a break for the last ~5 days (besides getting the store page ready), but... Honestly, I get very bored very fast without game development. This is my hobby. :guffaw: It keeps me sane, haha. All that happens is that I keep getting ideas & nothing gets done with them. So I'll be working on the DLC I teased earlier this month- honestly, all the 3D modelling for it is done, so all I have to do is the game design. (Which is not easy for sure, but it'll get done.) When the DLC releases, you'll get it for free, of course!

Thank you so much for all your support. I just don't know what to say- thank you!

J-G and Biestmann like this.
  4. SilverDash

SilverDash Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you very much :smile: and good luck with your game.

MechScapeZH and Biestmann like this.
  5. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! Your plugins made the game possible. :)

Biestmann likes this.
  6. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Work on the DLC has commenced! Here's a preliminary screenshot:

[​IMG]
    I mentioned it in the "in-development thread," but for anyone just finding MechScape- the DLC's stages will have a side-scrolling perspective. Pretty much everything but the tileset is a work-in-progress- what you see now is a test map. I thought it'd be a good idea to test all of the "stage gimmicks" before I start development on the actual stages. Obviously, the background will be brighter in the final so you can see the tiles better. The red tiles are a hazard- you have to dash over them to cross.

You can get this DLC for free when it releases if you get the game now- it's available at itch.io.

More to come!

Canini and Biestmann like this.
  7. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Congratulations on the release of your game! As I noted when I tried out the early demo, I have been waiting a long time for for a game that capitalizes on nostalgia for Reboot and early Playstation era graphics and I really truly enjoyed the world and characters that you have created. Good luck and hopefully you will get plenty of games sold!

I am on a Christmas budget right now but I will absolutely buy a copy further down the road

Biestmann and MechScapeZH like this.
  8. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much! Your feedback & support made it possible- I can't thank you enough.

Thank you- I'm so honored that you'd say that.

9. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it- but of course, no holiday will dissuade me from my obsessively consistent update schedule! :guffaw:

[​IMG]
    Completed the Parallax BG for the first stage. Hopefully the tiles are a bit more visible now. You can see several differently colored tiles in the screenshot- I'll leave you to wonder what they do for now. :D

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone- and as always, there is more to come.

Biestmann likes this.
  10. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Placeholder graphics removed-

[​IMG]
    Each color of cube has a different effect.

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  11. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Here's a rather important detail-

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the battle system is front-view this time around. (The enemy sprites are still side-view in this screenshot, but obviously that'll be changed. The Energy/Skill box'll be changed in the final as well.) This decision was made since unlike the base game, in this campaign you'll have many party members- and it's rather difficult to create unique, 11-FPS animation sheets for ~20 characters, so I'm using front-view. The enemies will still be animated, though.

Please tell me what you think of this change- if everyone likes the side-view better, I can just make the new characters static images & use that.

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  12. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In theory, I don't mind a front-view battle system. However, the enemy graphics seem to be built with the side-view battle system in mind, and that is mildly jarring when put together. Maybe a good compromise would be to use the original side-view battle system, but only have the protagonist of the DLC be animated to cut down on your workload. From the looks of it, the other party members will be strictly fodder, and, therefore, that doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  13. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, absolutely- the enemy graphic in the post is a placeholder. If they were "facing towards the player," would it be less of an issue?

Like this, but animated.
    [​IMG]

And yes- the other party members are essentially fodder. I thought it would be fun to allow players to summon the enemies from the base game.

Thank you for your input!

Biestmann likes this.
  14. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If the enemies were to face the player in the front-view battle system, that'd probably be the most coherent option!

MechScapeZH likes this.
  15. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! I'll keep working on making the front-view coherent for now- in my next update, I'll post a screenshot that'll look closer to final- if that doesn't end up looking good, I'll follow your suggestion and use side-view with static sprites for everyone but the main character.

Thank you for your input!

Biestmann likes this.
  16. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!

OK- progress on the battle system is at a point where I can show it off & it's pretty much final.

The only thing that isn't final in the video above is the presence of the Copy ability- it'll be replaced with a new ability as soon as I code it.

Any feedback on the battle system is much, much appreciated- it'd be great if I can fix everything that's wrong with it before I continue rather than going back and having to work on it again and again.

Thanks to everyone who's been supporting the development of MechScape, and of course, there's more to come!

17. damiendada

damiendada Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Congratulations on the release of your game! it makes me want to try it

18. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much! I actually do have a demo, so you can try it if you'd like. :)

Biestmann likes this.
  19. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Here's where the battle screen is at right now:

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the party members for the DLC are the viruses from the base game! If you've played MechScape from beginning to end, you might recognize the character in the lower-left and have an idea of why that might be.

In other news:

-I've replaced the direct skill commands with a Skills menu since the skill descriptions didn't show outside of the default Skills menu & I have no idea how to make them do so.
    -I've added a Skip Turn command (in CamelCase, since I have limited space- it ended up looking cool, though- very "digital," which is of course what I want) since it was possible to essentially get locked out of the game by running out of Skill Energy with certain viruses that don't have the ability to regenerate SE.
    -All the "back-view" images for every virus are done- I'm going to start working on the enemy graphics now.

As always, feedback is appreciated, and there is more to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  20. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just purchased my copy!