Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The text is a lot more pleasant to read like this, not to mention the box doesn't take away your focus from the scene itself. Excited to see all the other improvements!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The text is a lot more pleasant to read like this, not to mention the box doesn't take away your focus from the scene itself. Excited to see all the other improvements!
Thank you! You've been telling me to change the default windowskin from pretty much the beginning- it was me who foolishly didn't. This improvement is thanks to you.

Thank you for supporting the game!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Hi everyone- here's a demo video for the new "rest areas..."

Here's a comprehensive list of the improvements that'll be in version 1.2 (for your information & for my not-forgetting :guffaw:)
-As you can see in the video, the RTP "gold" icon in the Combine Data screen is removed. (IMPLEMENTED)
-The default windowskin's contrast is reduced. (IMPLEMENTED)
-A rest area like the one in the video will be implemented for Chapters 2 through 4- I don't want to overload players with info by adding one in Chapter 1. (TO BE DONE)
-Add a "running stage" into Chapter 1, so there's more interactivity right off the bat. (TO BE DONE)

-IF THERE AREN'T ANY PLUGIN INCOMPATIBILITIES: Change the design of the save screen. It's the only "stock RPG Maker" thing left, so I want to edit it a bit.

I know I said I'd change the battle transition effect before, but the plugin doesn't work with another plugin in the project, so I had to abandon that idea.

(Ah, and- for both your info & my remembering to do it, as I said- I really need to do a cover for the comic version. I do plan to publish a .pdf/similar file-format version of the comic at some point so it can be read all at once without having to click the "next page" button 36 times. So look forward to some cover art at some point.)

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to implement while I'm at this!

More to come!!

Last edited:

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
VERSION 1.2 RELEASED!!

Thanks to all the amazing feedback I've received from the community, MechScape has been updated to be even better!

Here's a list of the changes in Version 1.2:

-The RTP "gold" icon in the Combine Data screen has been removed- this was a simple mistake that had been left in by accident. The icon should've never been there in any released version- and now it isn't.

-The default windowskin's contrast has been reduced to increase the text's readability. (This was a highly requested change. Before this could be accomplished through the option's screen, but now it's there by default. You can still change the windowskin to be brighter in the options screen, so don't worry if you liked the old windowskin- it's still there.)

-A "rest area" has been implemented for Chapters 2 through 4. In these areas, the player can Synthesize the Skills they've obtained into stronger ones, save their game, talk to the characters accompanying you, and even abandon a Chapter and even abandon a mission in progress and go back to the Lab screen (this wasn't possible before).

-You can now access the Lab screen before starting Chapter 2.

-A "running stage" has been added to Chapter 1, so there's more interactivity right off the bat.

-The design of the "Save" screen has been changed to be more "in-theme-" it's now a "datafile manager," a futuristic device used by robots to record their actions.

In other news, a downloadable demo has been added to the game's itch page. There was an online demo before, but there were technical difficulties with it, so the demo is now downloadable instead. Try the game out at the link below!!

You can download the new version on the game's itch page.

As a reminder, the $4.99 "early bird price" is still in effect- as soon as release the game's DLC, this price is G-O-N-E gone, so grab the game at this discounted price while you can!!

Please let me know what you think of it- your amazing feedback is what made Version 1.2 possible!

More to come!!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Back to working on the DLC...
The Battle BG for the first stage I had before wasn't displaying correctly, so I made a new one...

If anyone has questions/comments/feedback about Version 1.2 of the base game, I'd love to hear them!

More to come!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Here's the parallax background for Stage 2...

It's very abstract (...as if everything I draw isn't :guffaw:), but I promise it makes total sense in context.

More to come!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Here's the Battle BG that goes with the parallax I posted last time...

More to come!

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like the new background in particular! Gives me some heavy Space Channel 5 or general Dreamcast game vibe.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like the new background in particular! Gives me some heavy Space Channel 5 or general Dreamcast game vibe.
Oh, really? That's the era I'm aiming for, so that's good to hear! I didn't actually reference a game for this one- I referenced my other great influence, classic comic book art- specifically the original "alternate dimension" backgrounds in Doctor Strange.

Thank you for your support!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone,

Development has been slightly delayed due to me not feeling well. It will resume... whenever I feel better. So no update today, unfortunately. But I didn't want to break my schedule, so... I'm posting this message to let everyone know.

I'll update again whenever I feel better & have something to show.

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone,

Development has been slightly delayed due to me not feeling well. It will resume... whenever I feel better. So no update today, unfortunately. But I didn't want to break my schedule, so... I'm posting this message to let everyone know.

I'll update again whenever I feel better & have something to show.
Hope you feel better soon! Health always comes first, so good on you for taking some time off to recover. I'll be awaiting your next update, whenever that is.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
OK, I'm back. :)

I didn't do as much as I'd like due to not feeling well, but I did manage to get some promotional images done.

You'll notice this image is also now the cover of the comic version of MechScape that you can see on my website...

And here's another promo poster.

Sorry there isn't more- there's more to come soon!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Whoops, lost my schedule again- sorry, health issues. But to make up for it, I've got something really wicked to show everyone today-

This is a full platforming overworld made possible by @ct_bolt 's absolutely phenomenal translation & add-on for Tomoaky's Jump Action Plugin- thanks so much to @ct_bolt for this!

Obviously this is very preliminary, but it's much better than the makeshift version I showed off a few pages back. In the final, there'll be better tiles (obviously these aren't final), a full animation sheet for the player (unique, smooth animations for walking, dashing, jumping, and an idle animation- hoping to make these really cool & stylized to give the feeling of controlling a quick-moving, agile character. I've been studying at the control schemes/animations of games like Kingdom Hearts 2 & Mega Man ZX Advent for inspiration.), and (if possible) animated parallax BGs.

(You'll also notice that the "Copy" command- which was a leftover from the base game that was never intended to carry over- has been replaced by a new "Absorb" command- I'll leave you wondering about what that does for now... :D)

Also, as an aside, I just competed in a game jam recently and made this, which is almost a better demo than the actual demo for communicating what kind of game MechScape is- the game & writing genres is different (it's got Action RPG battles rather than turn-based ones & it's a fantasy story rather than sci-fi), but the text-heaviness and general type of writing is the same (after all, I did write it :guffaw:), so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone's been looking at this thread and is on the fence about checking out MechScape and wants to see what kind of stuff I make... Check this out. It's a pretty good example of my work- and I'm very proud of it besides.

More to come!!

Last edited:

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Here's a video demonstrating the new Absorb command...

It works similarly to the Copy command in that it's derived from the classic "Steal" ability, but this command has a twist- as a virus, Techmender can infect its opponents' code, draw out their cyber-essence, and convert it to useful Chips, with which it can create more viruses (the enemies from the base game- now your party members, as seen in previous videos). However, if the target's Energy is too high, it'll be able to resist the infection- therefore, you must take the enemy down to 30% (for now- this number is subject to change during the game's balancing depending on player feedback) of their maximum Energy to Absorb them.

So the end result is something between catching a Pokemon (reducing health to make the ability work- otherwise it just doesn't- and don't reduce health to 0 or you won't get what you want!) and- as I mentioned before- the classic FF "Steal" command (take their stuff and use it- at the cost of a turn!).

You'll need to use the Absorb command often to gather Chips- otherwise you'll be stuck with only one character or a bunch of weak party members. This is part of my plan to make the DLC more difficult than the base game (a "Challenge Mode")- you'll actually have to grind now (but hopefully not too much- playtesting will yield the correct balance).

I'd love to hear your opinions on this! More to come!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Here's a demo of the Wall Jump ability I just implemented.

You'll also notice a new background detail- there are now partially transparent gears moving from left to right. What are they? I won't spoil that- at least not yet! :D

More to come!

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's intriguing how different this is shaping up to be from the base game. In a way, you seem to be enjoying development of this DLC more from a creative point of view. Great work as usual!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's intriguing how different this is shaping up to be from the base game. In a way, you seem to be enjoying development of this DLC more from a creative point of view. Great work as usual!
Thank you!

You're right on both counts- my goal with the DLC is to provide a different experience from the base game while also keeping the key elements that make the game what it is- in this case, more action-oriented gameplay while keeping in mind the story-based, narrative-heavy style of the base game. The idea of this character's gameplay being more of an action game is actually from my initial notes for MechScape that I made 4 years ago before I even started development- I had the game with 3 playable characters (Millennium from the base game, Techmender from this DLC, and Enigma, the scientist- who was to have a puzzle game-like segment) in those notes, but that quickly turned out to be too much work when I started development- so I cut it down to only the 1 character. I've dredged up the idea for this DLC.

I am certainly enjoying it more, since I know what I'm doing now- I was sort of making it up as I went when I developed the base game (and had to pretty much overhaul the whole thing right before I initially posted the game on these forums), but with this I have a plan that I'm following.

Thank you for your support as always!

Last edited:

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Here's a preliminary demo of the Virus Select System, where you'll select your party memebers:
You enter the screen by checking a Virus Sphere- as established in the base game, these contain viruses. As you can see, before you add a virus to your party, you'll have to create it using Chips (as shown before, you get Chips by Absorbing enemies). Once you do, you won't have to pay Chips to add it to your party again- it's a one-time fee. You can add up to 2 viruses to your party for a total of 3 members, including the main character. I'm still working on the UI- it's a bit sparse now. If you look to the right of the screen, you can see that the enemies now have individual sprites rather than all having a generic one- still working on those.

More to come!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Inspired by @fluffymonster 's Cute Ghost
His name is POKO!
I made a giant tree + treehouse for the next country woods pack \o\
Calculated my tax refund - CHEERS
Looked at my student debt - cries
Still, might be just enough left over to pay for my new computer, which would be awesome!
And my student debt will be fully paid, which is also pretty nice.
They say nice guys finish last. But mean guys don't finish at all!
I keep forgetting how much I hate how VX-MV implements fences and autotile tables.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeziaG96