Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well.

I have a small update for the Virus Select Screen I posted last time-

The noise effect on the screen represents the interference that prevents you from selecting most of the viruses at the beginning of the game- as you gather more of them, the interference- and thus the noise- gradually clears up.

More to come!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone,

I'm going to have to take a bit of a break due to... everything. I'm sure I'll resume working on the game soon- I really do love doing so.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone,

Don't have a formal update, but development has kinda-sorta-resumed. The DLC's script is complete & I'm working on level design.

I can't promise an update schedule as consistent as before, but things are being done. :)

Since I don't have any new screenshots, I'll instead summarize dev progress at this point:

DONE:
-Enemy animations
-Enemy stats/skills (Needs testing, though)
-Actor animations/portraits
-Actor stats/skills
-Character select
-Platform map system implementation
-Main character graphics

TO BE DONE:
-Cinematics/cutscenes
-Some incidental dialogue
-Stage/map design
-Logo design
-Some incidental character graphics/designs
-Background graphics

That's where it stands at this point.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's intriguing! Enabling this kind of gameplay in this engine must be a considerable amount of work. This DLC is shaping up to be more of a sequel at this rate.

As an aside, your recordings always seem quite laggy, so I was wondering if you have tried to reduce the quality to make them more fluid?

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's intriguing! Enabling this kind of gameplay in this engine must be a considerable amount of work. This DLC is shaping up to be more of a sequel at this rate.

As an aside, your recordings always seem quite laggy, so I was wondering if you have tried to reduce the quality to make them more fluid?
Actually, you'd be surprised! I'm using Tomoaky's Jump Action Plugin to accomplish this- it's actually totally plug-and-play. All you have to do is load it into your project, set up a few region tiles, and bam! Instant platformer. It plays really well with other plugins too- I definitely recommend it.

It is a kind of a sequel, gameplay-wise- but I decided not to call it that since it's more of a side story narrative-wise. As you know, I'm a big comic book fan & the bit of training writing-wise that I do have is in the comic book medium- I see this as something akin to the "villain books" Marvel puts out- a side story starring the antagonist of the original story that sheds light on their character & motives. (From the perspective of the Fantastic Four, Doctor Doom is an evil king- but when we focus on him, we can see that he actually cares quite a bit for his subjects.)

Regarding the recordings- I'm aware that they are very laggy, but I... haven't bothered to fix them yet since this footage is just a demo and won't be used for the trailer, haha. I've been using the default Windows Recorder (Windows key + G), which I believe doesn't have a quality option- which software would you recommend using?

Thanks so much for your feedback as always!

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A plugin, huh. It's incredible what this community puts out all the time.

I understand your approach to the DLC and how it relates narratively to the medium of comic books, but I think that the vastly different gameplay style is a bit of a concern from the perspective of a potential player. Are you still planning on charging for this expansion?

For example, someone enjoying the main campaign of your game might be disappointed by the gameplay in the DLC, and, vice versa, someone who would have enjoyed the DLC might not give it a try after a main campaign they found lackluster.

I don't mean to sound preachy, so I apologize if I do, I'd just like this DLC to reach an audience as wide as possible given how much time and effort you are putting into its development. I think it is shaping up greatly and deserves to be played.

As for video recordings, both OBS Studio and VClip are both free and recommended.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A plugin, huh. It's incredible what this community puts out all the time.

I understand your approach to the DLC and how it relates narratively to the medium of comic books, but I think that the vastly different gameplay style is a bit of a concern from the perspective of a potential player. Are you still planning on charging for this expansion?

For example, someone enjoying the main campaign of your game might be disappointed by the gameplay in the DLC, and, vice versa, someone who would have enjoyed the DLC might not give it a try after a main campaign they found lackluster.

I don't mean to sound preachy, so I apologize if I do, I'd just like this DLC to reach an audience as wide as possible given how much time and effort you are putting into its development. I think it is shaping up greatly and deserves to be played.

As for video recordings, both OBS Studio and VClip are both free and recommended.
You are 100% correct and... I have sort of thought about that? I suppose I didn't as much as I should've. I've strove to keep the combat somewhat the same, besides there being other party members to keep the gameplay loop somewhat consistent. Honestly- the platformer plugin is a very new thing- I understand it existed in Japanese and has recently been translated to English- and if it existed when I was developing the base game, I certainly would've used it. (I briefly toyed with the idea of re-doing the base game to include it, but... It wouldn't be a good use of my time, yes? Or maybe so, for consistency, thinking about the advice you just gave me?) MechScape, in its initial design stages that I did circa 2012, actually did have a platforming overworld- but I quickly abolished it when I actually started development since I couldn't figure out how to make it happen in RPG Maker.

I am planning on charging for this expansion, but not much- just a few dollars. (Of course, you and everyone else who took advantage, or takes advantage of before the expansion is released, the early bird price will get it for free.)

It is technically a separate file from the base game, so I could sell it separately as well as selling it as DLC... Would that be something you'd recommend? So people who are interested in the platforming system could buy it as a standalone? Maybe I could sell it as a standalone for a bit more than if it was purchased as a DLC, but give both options... I know some games do that- Shovel Knight comes to mind... I will certainly think greatly about this.

I definitely see what you mean and I believe I thought about it during the initial planning stages of the DLC- but since the only real difference is the overworld- the art style, combat, and music are all the same-, I thought it wouldn't matter.

You do not at all sound preachy- your advice is both sound & brought up an important issue that I didn't really think about. Thanks so much- I too hope it is played, of course!

Just downloaded OBS Studio and will try it out posthaste- as always, thank you so much for your continued support!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Another small update- I've been working on stage design...

1588709285490.png
LEGEND: b = block, e = enemy, k = key, G = guardian (strong enemy), sw= switch (need the key to open), do = door (opened by the switch), p = portal (to get from one room to another).

It doesn't look like much, but it's the first step in planning a stage- as you can see, I do my planning in Excel. I find it easier to realize a good map if I know what I'm doing beforehand.

More to come!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Nothing to show per se today (it'd look a lot like the image I posted last time), but preliminary stage design is finally complete.

As of now, there'll be 3 stages total, not counting optional challenges (which I believe I will have time to implement- no promises for now, unfortunately) and such.

More to come!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Hi everyone,

Work is progressing little by little. I have a short demo for you today which doubles as a test of the OBS Recorder program (thank you @Biestmann ! It works great!)- this is the very first room of the game, where the player starts.

You can see the virus select screen being called up from the sphere and the new "portal" effect in the bottom-right- you touch those to go to the next room.

My question for all of you is this: is the flashing portal effect hard on the eyes? I want to learn from my previous experiences and make sure all the SPX are good BEFORE I launch a demo.

More to come!

EDIT: So it seems once I put the video on YouTube there's severe slowdown. Very odd... Well, I'll keep at it. Leaving this here for now since it still shows the room and there doesn't seem to be a way to fix this... Oh well- I'll keep working. Sorry for the inconvenience!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Here's a room from the first stage with a simple moving platform section- nothing really new here, but... Progress is being made. :)

1589841103474.png

More to come!

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
UPDATE!
Nothing to really show today, but the mapping for the first stage is complete. (The eventing isn't, but at least something's done :guffaw:).

More to come!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some pixel art! Feel free to drop by!

Can't believe I forgot to put an image of my drawing pad! It looks kinda like this, maybe I'll get a better pic tomorrow...
Backup tip: If you don't want to back up your whole project every day, at least back up everything *except* your Image and Audio folders, which you can do weekly/as needed/etc.
The final version of our game is already available both in English and Spanish! ^___^
Can't believe this day has finally come... T_T
Im so happy that Dead By Daylight is getting a Silent Hill chapter! Cant wait to play as pyramid head

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tauron7