RMMV MechScape- RELEASES 11/22!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by MechScapeZH, Mar 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    WHAT AN UPDATE! DEMO 2 HAS BEEN RELEASED!
    I am absurdly excited to announce the release of MechScape Demo 2!! It contains the first two chapters of the game, which include all the story content released for MechScape so far. Thanks to input from @Biestmann I have been able to release two versions of the game- one with all the special effects left unaltered, and another edited so as not to bother those with sensitive eyes. You can find both versions of the game by clicking the download link in the first post.

A note- please download the whole folder including the folder labeled "www," not just the game file, or you will not be able to save.

Another note- I anticipate the timeframe between Demo 2 & Demo 3 to be much longer than that between Demo 1 & Demo 2- when I released Demo 1, the artwork for Chapter 2 was already completed. Only the eventing remained to be done. However, I do not have the same done for Chapter 3. While character designs are completed for the most part, (I'll be showing those off in the future) I haven't even started on the art & backgrounds and the script requires much editing. I'll keep updating as I finish more.

I realize the game as it stands now is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from perfect, so I enthusiastically welcome any and all feedback! Enjoy Demo 2!

Biestmann likes this.
  2. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Working hard on Chapter 3- here's a character design. A dark denizen coming to you straight from the depths of the cyber-sea!

[​IMG]

Unlike every other enemy featured this far, this creature is not a computer virus- it's nature is to be revealed. :)

As the thread title says, Demo 2 has been released and is available to download from the link in the first post- I'd love your feedback on it as well as the design featured in this update, since it is yet to be finalized.

Jayje and Biestmann like this.
  3. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!!
    Chapter 3 is still being constructed (cybernetically, of course)! Today, a carnivorous creature appears!

[​IMG]

This monstrosity is of the same nature as the octopus enemy shown in the post above. So far, nobody has guessed their identities correctly...

Again, Demo 2 is available in the first post- I welcome any opinions on it!

Biestmann likes this.
  4. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Some illustrations for Chapter 3...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Working hard on finishing the art- I'll post more soon.

Biestmann likes this.
  5. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    More illustrations!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come!

Biestmann likes this.
  6. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Even more illustrations for Chapter 3...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Biestmann likes this.
  7. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have been meaning to ask, but what inspires your creature design? The main character is a peculiar one as well (and very cute). The enemies resemble insects and animals in some cases, but what about our red blob?

MechScapeZH likes this.
  8. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The creature designs, like the rest of my designs, are inspired by the CGI of 1990s & early 2000s comics & video games (Nintendo 64/PlayStation era)- some that were especially influential are Majora's Mask, MegaMan Battle Network, Bionicle, Marvel 2099, and Transformers (the 90s comics, not the live-action films). There was a semi-unified design aesthetic (gridlines, cyborgs & robots, highly textured 3D models, sharp edges) to those years that I have great nostalgia for.

As for the main character, it is an icosphere- a sphere made up of triangles rather than round surfaces. On the N64 & PlayStation, they couldn't render round surfaces, so every model was essentially made up of only icospheres. (My models are the same way.) The main character being made up of the most basic shape in early 3D modelling is symbolic of it being a "simple" character without identity.

Canini and Biestmann like this.
  9. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's interesting, thank you for the explanation. I like the designs when pitted against each other especially, as I think there is a nice contrast. I think I am going to call our protagonist Blobby, just because I can!

MechScapeZH likes this.
  10. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can call it whatever you wish, of course (I should let the player name it...). At the moment, it is named as Security Bot in-game, but it receives a proper name before the story is over.

11. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE (of sorts)
    I just realized that I never posted the comic version of MechScape on these forums. (The game is adapted from this.)

Here's the first chapter- hopefully it'll give you a taste of what MechScape is about. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Biestmann likes this.
  12. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    So, I just finished the art for Chapter 3! Cue victory fanfare!

(That plays in my head anytime I finish anything. I think it's a conditioned response. :guffaw:)

Here's the boss for this chapter...

[​IMG]
    And its battler...
    [​IMG]

...I will admit it looks a little rough- it's an older design. Suggestions are appreciated. :)

Biestmann likes this.
  13. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am quite fond of the arena for this fight. Domes always look nice, and I like the color scheme and pattern. I think the boss itself looks very grotesque, but I think that can be a quality. It looks alien, and I appreciate that.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  14. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for your feedback! I'm happy that the dome looks good- I spent a good amount of time getting the pattern to display right.

The boss was designed to be alien-looking & otherworldly, so I'm glad that showed. I'll probably just leave the design as it is anyway- prioritize, right? Do what needs to be done rather than redoing what is already done. It's just that I did this one a long time ago & I always end up redoing older designs... I suppose this one is fine though. :)

Thank you so much for following my project!

Biestmann likes this.
  15. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    More stuff I realized I never cross-posted to these boards... I've had several character bios done for quite a while now, and I only ever posted the protagonist's. Here are all the bios I've done so far, including the one I posted previously.

SECURITY BOT

Our Protagonist

[​IMG]

A near-ancient robot awakened in a distant future.
    Its stasis pod prison shorted out by a chance rainstorm, the Security Bot emerges to find an abandoned laboratory before it and a mysterious voice giving it instructions. With no memories logged within its system, the Security Bot has no other choice but to obey this commanding figure.

This robot is equipped with only the most rudimentary of sentience. With no emotional data, it is not programmed to feel as a human does. Instead, its programming gives it the ability to enter the Cyberspace within electrical systems and delete the viruses that call it home. Perhaps it was designed with such a purpose in mind? Only time will tell.

ENIGMA

The Cyborg Scientist

[​IMG]

Once human, he created the Security Bot and many other robots

The man who now calls himself Enigma was one of Earth’s top researchers before the emergence of the virus. Seeking to destroy the virus and secure the planet as humanity’s domain once more, he created the Security Bot to combat its threat. However, the virus discovered his plan and sealed him away in his laboratory before he could finish building and activating his creation. To survive, he rebuilt himself into a cyborg.

Enigma has replaced his right arm with a mechanical claw, perhaps as a mocking imitation of some beings in the army of the virus that drove out his people. With it, he can interface with mechanical devices and control them from a moderate distance. However, his greatest asset is his mind- Enigma’s expertise in the field of robotics is matched by few. Although he has managed to hold on, trapped as he is, the long years Enigma has spent confined to his laboratory has driven him a bit batty… just a bit. The activation and retrieval of his Security Bot gave him his first hope since his imprisonment. As its creator, he holds absolute authority over the Security Bot. He acts sincere, but who knows what he may be planning?

THE VIRUS

Conqueror

[​IMG]
    Digital Entity Who Rules Earth
    Its origins unknown, the Virus descended upon the planet long ago, bringing life to humanity’s mechanical servants. Turning their own technology against them, the Virus drove humans off of Earth and claimed it for its own.

Other than its life-giving ability, the Virus’ true power has not been revealed.

THE VIRUS’ ENFORCERS

Infected Robots Programmed to Seek and Destroy
    [​IMG]
    Servants of the Virus

These robots, two of many, were built for industrial purposes. The red being was intended to chop down trees with its axe-arms, and the orange being was to excavate artifacts with its drill-arm. They worked alongside others like themselves for several years. However, when a computer virus caused Earth’s robots to come to life, both were turned against their human masters as part of a vast army. Now, they act as the virus’ underlings, patrolling the abandoned laboratory that belonged to the humans they once obeyed.

Other than being rather sharp, the Enforcers’ appendages carry an electrical current that can short out other robots. Unlike others in the virus’ army, they have been modified to be able to access Cyberspace to travel more effectively across the virus’ territories. Although the Enforcers are both agile and powerful, their electronic brains are simply designed, affording them little intelligence and resulting in their mechanical speech pattern.

These have been added to the first post as well.

Biestmann likes this.
  16. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    Just finished the design for the main antagonist- behold!
    [​IMG]

The character won't appear in this environment- it's just a placeholder. He's got a bunch of chrome texturing on him, which is nifty- I managed to semi-replicate (it's not perfect) the chrome of 90s CGI, which was far more mirror-like since the technology couldn't simulate how real chrome distorts what it's reflecting yet. (This texture was used for Voltron and a few other mechanical characters.) Chrome is always intimidating anyway. The best robotic villains are always chromed out.

This design is super, super preliminary- I figured I'd better post it & ask for feedback before I go too far with it.

Your feedback is much appreciated. :)

Biestmann likes this.
  17. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi everyone-

No update this week due to finals- I'll be updating again when they're over.

Chapter 3 is still in the works!

Biestmann likes this.
  18. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Best of luck with your finals!
    I like the almost spellcaster-like appearance of the villain. If there was one thing I would criticize, it would be the length of his legs. They are very short, especially in contrast to his arms. I'd probably make them longer by having them connect to the body higher up. Cheers!

MechScapeZH likes this.
  19. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you! :)

The spellcaster look was very, very intentional so I'm very glad that came through. :) I definitely agree about the legs- I'll lengthen them & adjust the proportions in the next iteration of this design, which I will be doing as soon as my workload lessens.

Thanks for your feedback! It's always very helpful. :)

20. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE!
    OK, I'm back. :)

A giant update today- the art for Chapter 3 is done! Here it is in comic form-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The storyline is heavily seralized, so you'll have to read the first two chapters first- here's a link to them.

Another important thing- I really, really need testers for this game.
    I just made a thread in
    Project Recruitment, and I thought I'd post the request here as well just so everyone following this project sees it. I'm about to begin working on Chapter 3, but I really need feedback on what I've done so far- I'm still very inexperienced as a developer, and I'd rather fix my mistakes early than continue making them throughout the project and having more to fix later. I'd really appreciate your feedback- you can post either here on on the Project Recruitment thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.